facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

View Poll Results: Why females are underrepresented in BC?
Culturally, females are underrepresented in every aspects of our social life; BC is no exception 7 46.67%
There are certain barriers, e.g, parent’s /male’s /religious restriction 2 13.33%
Inadequate resources in BD, e.g, unavailability of computer and internet 2 13.33%
Cultural de-engagement of foreign based male members, unlike female 2 13.33%
Women have more responsibilities in BD and do not have enough time to use internet 1 6.67%
Fear of exposure in public forum 5 33.33%
Lower literacy rate compared to male, hence, do not know how to use computer 2 13.33%
All above 0 0%
Other, please state 5 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 28, 2010, 08:33 AM
Banned

Default Female underrepresented in BC

It has been highlighted that females are underrepresented in BC. What are the reasons?
Please participate and share your thoughts.
Old July 28, 2010, 09:34 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

women are less interested in sports and so lesser interested in sports forums.

plus in a home if there is one brother and one sister and single PC, the sister gets less opportunity to access pc and also less opportunity to access internet.

also even if there is more than one PC, most of time the PC of the sister don't have internet access or limited access. (exceptional case: i have 256kbps line, but my young SIS has 1MBPS line)

anyway my SIS finds it completely useless to spend her time on internet for searching sports news or taking part in sports forum. she has little interest in sports. she watches seldom, and whatever she wants to know, she asks me.

Last edited by al-Sagar; July 28, 2010 at 11:56 AM..
Old July 29, 2010, 05:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

Quote:
Originally Posted by offstump
women are less interested in sports and so lesser interested in sports forums.

plus in a home if there is one brother and one sister and single PC, the sister gets less opportunity to access pc and also less opportunity to access internet.

also even if there is more than one PC, most of time the PC of the sister don't have internet access or limited access. (exceptional case: i have 256kbps line, but my young SIS has 1MBPS line)

anyway my SIS finds it completely useless to spend her time on internet for searching sports news or taking part in sports forum. she has little interest in sports. she watches seldom, and whatever she wants to know, she asks me.
that's right.though the case is reversed at my place,since i am older i get to use the pc more!plus,bd girls(a lot of them) are very silly in a sense that they are only interested in the game if it features good looking players,so bd cricket doesn't have an upperhand in that case!
Old July 29, 2010, 08:58 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamisa
that's right.though the case is reversed at my place,since i am older i get to use the pc more!plus,bd girls(a lot of them) are very silly in a sense that they are only interested in the game if it features good looking players,so bd cricket doesn't have an upperhand in that case!
may be ur case is an exception, because i have seen in lots of houses the parents believe that their son needs a computer not their daughter. no matter who is elder or not. also the sisters are spending more time in star plus, sony tv and dont feel they need to use the computer.

also girls from their childhood is mentally programmed that all those sports-shows are for boys and the music and drama shows are for girls. thats how they grow up and so they have little interest in sports.
Old July 28, 2010, 09:38 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Thoughtful thread Peace bhai.
No. 1 & 6 are the main reasons IMO. It'll gradually change hopefully in near future. I wouldn't be surprised though if there are some female guests who regularly visit BC.

Last edited by Habib; July 28, 2010 at 09:46 AM..
Old July 28, 2010, 09:54 AM
Cricket Legend

offstump covered it all...

most of them have access to internet but would rather play Farmville or take 'How many kids are you going to have?' Quiz.... rather than be part of a sports forum.

Not a blogger myself, but I do see females posting in popular bangla blog sites, but I bet the percentage isnt any better than its here in BC....
Old July 28, 2010, 10:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: YOURFACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialbd
most of them have access to internet but would rather play Farmville or take 'How many kids are you going to have?' Quiz.... rather than be part of a sports forum.

yeah umm ........No!
Old July 28, 2010, 12:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaHiMa
yeah umm ........No!
apologies if this has offended you. But this is just based on what I am seeing around me. Maybe things are changing.... and I'll see it eventually...
Old July 28, 2010, 09:59 AM
Banned

Thanks offstumps, habib, ialbd bros for the thoughts and comments.
I agree that women have less interest in sports in general. Having said that, cricket is the only sport that we are representing at the highest level; so I was under the impression that interest in cricket of our sisters have increased at some extent.

Any idea about the ratio of male/female representation in Face Book accounts? is it significantly higher than participation in BC?

May be females are more interested in social interaction than sports.
Old July 28, 2010, 10:05 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace
Thanks offstumps, habib, ialbd bros for the thoughts and comments.
I agree that women have less interest in sports in general. Having said that, cricket is the only sport that we are representing at the highest level; so I was under the impression that interest in cricket of our sisters have increased at some extent.

Any idea about the ratio of male/female representation in Face Book accounts? is it significantly higher than participation in BC?

May be females are more interested in social interaction than sports.
Your logic is right. In our neighbouring countries there are more female participation in both sports forum & stadium. But here comes the keyword 'performance'. It's more cool to be fan of a team that has Yuvraj/Afridi than a team consisting of legend Ashraful. Some girls in BD go to stadium just to see Dravid & shed tears when he is hurt. BD team still doesn't have that kinda appeal to them.
Old July 28, 2010, 10:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habib
Your logic is right. In our neighbouring countries there are more female participation in both sports forum & stadium. But here comes the keyword 'performance'. It's more cool to be fan of a team that has Yuvraj/Afridi than a team consisting of legend Ashraful. Some girls in BD go to stadium just to see Dravid & shed tears when he is hurt. BD team still doesn't have that kinda appeal to them.
Tamim is making some appeal though. I think many young girls dream about Tamim. They just cant bring "Marry Me" placard due to our conservative culture.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old July 28, 2010, 11:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: YOURFACE

Quote:
true said!
Old July 28, 2010, 10:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

No 1 and offie vai's reason are the main reasons. Culturally our women are seriously underrepresented in any kind of forum. Just look at our most important forum '' Natl parliament". There are only few female MPs are representing out of 300. Fields like Sports. Politics are still out of our female interest.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old July 28, 2010, 12:09 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Just open a Bangladeshi forum for International Football. You will see thousands for girls joining and posting about these hottest players. messi that..ronaldo this..Bekham.....blah blah..
Old July 28, 2010, 12:39 PM
Cricket Legend

I wonder also how many men are surfing BC regularly from Bangladesh. some reasons(net related etc) showed above regarding women are also supposed to be same for many men not yet to be engaged in BC. I am noticing men living abroad surfing BC mostly than men from BD. if its true then net culture would be the main reason above all.Internet is still not available to most of Bangladeshis who are willing to use it.
Old July 28, 2010, 12:49 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic boy
I wonder also how many men are surfing BC regularly from Bangladesh. some reasons(net related etc) showed above regarding women are also supposed to be same for many men not yet to be engaged in BC. I am noticing men living abroad surfing BC mostly than men from BD. if its true then net culture would be the main reason above all.Internet is still not available to most of Bangladeshis who are willing to use it.
I agree with you for the most part except for one thing. Atm internet is available to many Bangladeshis but the willingness to use it for the 'right reasons' is mostly absent.
Old July 28, 2010, 01:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Atm internet is available to many Bangladeshis but the willingness to use it for the 'right reasons' is mostly absent.
true but still high in price for the mass. also what we are getting in the name of internet in this 21st century is clear cheating/oppression.in disguise of fair usage policy companies like citycell,gp,Banglalion,Qubee giving a big bash to the users.Students buying limited net service ...they are bound to do that. 1GB for 1 month for 300tk and why would they spend that limited data after posting in forum?rather they use that for Facebook or downloading something for educational purpose.Yes many people are using dial up connection in Bangladesh but no way we should say internet is vastly available here.its still a product for richer families.Govt still cant make it available and easy for mass people.but crying out loud to establish a digital Bangladesh... sad But true.
Old July 28, 2010, 02:06 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
true but still high in price for the mass. also what we are getting in the name of internet in this 21st century is clear cheating/oppression.in disguise of fair usage policy companies like citycell,gp,Banglalion,Qubee giving a big bash to the users.Students buying limited net service ...they are bound to do that. 1GB for 1 month for 300tk and why would they spend that limited data after posting in forum?rather they use that for Facebook or downloading something for educational purpose.Yes many people are using dial up connection in Bangladesh but no way we should say internet is vastly available here.its still a product for richer families.Govt still cant make it available and easy for mass people.but crying out loud to establish a digital Bangladesh... sad But true.
Again agreed except for a few things. Why wouldn't they spend the limited data for posting in a forum? Posting here doesn't use up that much data limit. I know that because I use 1GB for 300 tk. With this package I've updated/downloaded various softwares, forms, used facebook, uploaded youtube videos etc but at the end of month the data limit still wasn't fully used up. And ofcourse mass people won't get internet because of poverty. But those who have the access to it (& they are not that few in numbers) majority of them are not interested in sports forum.

Last edited by Habib; July 28, 2010 at 02:16 PM..
Old July 28, 2010, 01:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
you know how patriotic Bangladeshis get once they leave Bangladesh...

I literally get laughed at when I visit Dhaka and say I follow Bangladesh cricket AND a member of a forum called banglacricket. I have given up trying to explain/justify/convince them...
Old July 28, 2010, 01:35 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Women are interested in producing babies, washing, cleaning, cooking and looking after babies, adult male babies and their needs. Naturally, they are under represented and rightly so. Its bad enough as it is adult male spending hours on internet forums. We certainly don't need the polution and corruption of the innocent minds of the other halves. We are for a functional society.

Viva BanglaCricket!
Old July 28, 2010, 04:47 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
Women are interested in producing babies, washing, cleaning, cooking and looking after babies, adult male babies and their needs. Naturally, they are under represented and rightly so. Its bad enough as it is adult male spending hours on internet forums. We certainly don't need the polution and corruption of the innocent minds of the other halves. We are for a functional society.

Viva BanglaCricket!
you make it sound like it is a very shameful thing to do for an adult male , what's the catch?

as for the latter statement:

I am a wierd person, i found this post oddly hilarious!
Old July 28, 2010, 05:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
as for the latter statement:

I am a wierd person, i found this post oddly hilarious!
I am sure thats what BanCricFan bhai intended to do....
Old July 28, 2010, 02:05 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Banned

Women loves ekadokka rather than cricket.
Check www.banglaekadokka.com , you will find all women.
Old July 28, 2010, 03:11 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Women loves ekadokka rather than cricket.
Check www.banglaekadokka.com , you will find all women.
Duro miah....link kaj kore na...
Old July 28, 2010, 03:26 PM
Cricket Legend

We love females....

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)