facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 26, 2005, 01:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

<<
Farooq (his younger brother Nadeem was a year junior to me in Scholastica. Farooq was in the DU finance Dept. team while I was in the Econ. Dept. team but we never played each other), had an astute cricketing mind but never fulfilled his promise as a player.
>>

I think Farooq was in Public Adminstration dept not Finance. Ya He is a good bat but never fulfilled his promise.

Old February 26, 2005, 01:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

<< i think akram khan was the best captain we ever had. >>>

Sorry I think other way around (excluding Ashraful)
Old February 26, 2005, 08:37 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: The Narail Express

seems cool..
Old February 26, 2005, 08:38 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: The Narail Express

seems cool..
Old February 26, 2005, 10:41 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
Quote:
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
the word is automatically changing from Bittttch slapped to babe-slapped.

[/i]
I don't like the way forum censor works, instead of replacing a word with another one it should use a common thing like [-beep-] for all censored words.
.....posters should also realize what words are being censored and not use them repeatedly, for our own sake.

Edited on, February 26, 2005, 3:42 PM GMT, by couger.
Old February 27, 2005, 03:29 AM
BC Editorial Team

I recall watching BD play the first few Asia Cups, the tourney in Sharjah, etc.

I have to say, that Mr. Shish Ahmed needs to make a choice. If he wanted to make an all-time pre-test-status 11, then many of those players are a gimme. The requirement would be players who had established themselves and were mature cricketers by the time of Test Status. To elaborate, someone like Pilot actually has become a worlclass player nowadays after learning on the hard knock of Test cricket. On that premise, the above 11 mostly works

However, I would hazard if had a team with all these players on their top form before Test status and then played em against a current team on a 5 day match, I'll take the current team.

BTW, how the heck does Atahar Ali not make it to that golden list??? Next to Raqibul Hassan, he's the player I wish could have been born 30 and 10 years later respectively
Old February 27, 2005, 06:05 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Well the manner in which we hav started here to compare Cricketers of two very different generations.. is quite emotional and bit odd.

It's very natural that each generations will have far supirior players from the previous in any team/nation.. because the game itself developes in quality and competitiveness. Besides.. we are also having the fact of pre and post-test status era.. enlarging the gap between the two generation's standards even further more!

Players who can stand high above the boundery of time (who will play dominantly in any given time in history or present).. are not very common... no matter which nation u consider.

It's really very rude and indecent to remark players from the past as 'worthless' or 'bunch of substandards'. They are always part of history-making process... and all of them have been 'the best of their times'..

Think of it like this: The kind of outfit that makes u look COOL BUDDY in the eyes of the chicks TODAY... will only make u look like an 'weirdo' TOMORROW!..
But again... that doesnt stop u from being the buddy today.. does it?!

No one beats time.. except the very rare timeless GENIUS!
Old February 27, 2005, 08:35 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by razabq
BTW, how the heck does Atahar Ali not make it to that golden list??? Next to Raqibul Hassan, he's the player I wish could have been born 30 and 10 years later respectively
Yes, Athar perhaps was the most 'correct' batsman we ever had.
Old February 27, 2005, 01:08 PM
ODI Cricketer

I was surprsied not seeing Atahar in the list. I have no problem with Prince.I don't care how fast he was. He was a good bowler and definitely he can be the partner of Masri. But leaving Masri for Prince is crazy. I haven't seen the rest of the old players playing so can't say anything about them. By the way, does anyone know anything about Azhar Hossain Shantu? I heard that he was a good player and probably scored a 50 against a test playing country when we were an associate team.
Old February 27, 2005, 02:06 PM
BC Editorial Team

Default Shanto, Mohammed Ali, et al

Shanto was Opee's chacha, came to Willes once. Really cool guy and first guy to score a 50 in an ODI for Bangladesh I believe, in that Sharjah tourney. I recall Bulbul having a good time with the bat and Nannu with the ball in that one - it felt so cool to watch BD play with the big boys back then.

As for Mohammed Ali, yea he used to be our captain for the two years we won Nirman national. Used to bowl off a slightly shorter run up for us cuz the slip fielders couldn't handle anything too fast. Opee was the keeper wouldja believe? And he bowled off-spin too - he has big ole hands. Mohammed Ali was a big brawny guy back then, but eventually got fat and lost form and faded away.

About Atahar - remember he was the first man ever to win a MoM for BD in an ODI. Had all the shots, was lovely to watch and was an underrated medium pacer as well.

Prince in his pomp was at best a bulkier version of Manjurul Islam in his heyday. Bowled a lovely off stump line with a hint of away swing. I recall him and & Badshah opening the bowling for BD against Paki in Chittagong in an Asia cup. Kept things tight for a while.

Really there is no comparison to the golden old timers who built a foundation for the present generation. The old-timers were the best of that time, but come on, Test cricket vs. 3rd ranked ICC country? (Zim, UAE, Holland and Kenya used to do better remember)

Razab
Old February 27, 2005, 11:03 PM
Test Cricketer

Azhar Hossain Shantu would also owl off-spin. I remember him being somewhat pretentious in that he would appeal very theatrically and would give the impression of being deep in thought after every delivery !!