facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old December 23, 2006, 04:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan
Default Dennis Prager's comments

What do you guys think of this idiot's comment about Keith Ellison being elected to the congress by taking oath on Quran?
This outrageous radio-idiot wrote this article in one of his newspaper or magazine filled with hatred against our religion. How does a society tolerate such racist individual like him?

America, Not Keith Ellison, decides what book a congressman takes his oath on

Keith Ellison, D-Minn., the first Muslim elected to the United States Congress, has announced that he will not take his oath of office on the Bible, but on the bible of Islam, the Koran.

He should not be allowed to do so -- not because of any American hostility to the Koran, but because the act undermines American civilization.

First, it is an act of hubris that perfectly exemplifies multiculturalist activism -- my culture trumps America's culture. What Ellison and his Muslim and leftist supporters are saying is that it is of no consequence what America holds as its holiest book; all that matters is what any individual holds to be his holiest book.

Forgive me, but America should not give a hoot what Keith Ellison's favorite book is. Insofar as a member of Congress taking an oath to serve America and uphold its values is concerned, America is interested in only one book, the Bible. If you are incapable of taking an oath on that book, don't serve in Congress. In your personal life, we will fight for your right to prefer any other book. We will even fight for your right to publish cartoons mocking our Bible. But, Mr. Ellison, America, not you, decides on what book its public servants take their oath.

Devotees of multiculturalism and political correctness who do not see how damaging to the fabric of American civilization it is to allow Ellison to choose his own book need only imagine a racist elected to Congress. Would they allow him to choose Hitler's "Mein Kampf," the Nazis' bible, for his oath? And if not, why not? On what grounds will those defending Ellison's right to choose his favorite book deny that same right to a racist who is elected to public office?

Of course, Ellison's defenders argue that Ellison is merely being honest; since he believes in the Koran and not in the Bible, he should be allowed, even encouraged, to put his hand on the book he believes in. But for all of American history, Jews elected to public office have taken their oath on the Bible, even though they do not believe in the New Testament, and the many secular elected officials have not believed in the Old Testament either. Yet those secular officials did not demand to take their oaths of office on, say, the collected works of Voltaire or on a volume of New York Times editorials, writings far more significant to some liberal members of Congress than the Bible. Nor has one Mormon official demanded to put his hand on the Book of Mormon. And it is hard to imagine a scientologist being allowed to take his oath of office on a copy of "Dianetics" by L. Ron Hubbard.

So why are we allowing Keith Ellison to do what no other member of Congress has ever done -- choose his own most revered book for his oath?

The answer is obvious -- Ellison is a Muslim. And whoever decides these matters, not to mention virtually every editorial page in America, is not going to offend a Muslim. In fact, many of these people argue it will be a good thing because Muslims around the world will see what an open society America is and how much Americans honor Muslims and the Koran.

This argument appeals to all those who believe that one of the greatest goals of America is to be loved by the world, and especially by Muslims because then fewer Muslims will hate us (and therefore fewer will bomb us).

But these naive people do not appreciate that America will not change the attitude of a single American-hating Muslim by allowing Ellison to substitute the Koran for the Bible. In fact, the opposite is more likely: Ellison's doing so will embolden Islamic extremists and make new ones, as Islamists, rightly or wrongly, see the first sign of the realization of their greatest goal -- the Islamicization of America.

When all elected officials take their oaths of office with their hands on the very same book, they all affirm that some unifying value system underlies American civilization. If Keith Ellison is allowed to change that, he will be doing more damage to the unity of America and to the value system that has formed this country than the terrorists of 9-11. It is hard to believe that this is the legacy most Muslim Americans want to bequeath to America. But if it is, it is not only Europe that is in trouble.

Old December 23, 2006, 04:48 AM
BC Editorial Team

পাগলে কি না কয় আর ছাগলে কি না খায়্
Old December 23, 2006, 05:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
What do you guys think of this idiot's comment about Keith Ellison being elected to the congress by taking oath on Quran?
This outrageous radio-idiot wrote this article in one of his newspaper or magazine filled with hatred against our religion. How does a society tolerate such racist individual like him?
Some questions: What is the likelihood that a Hindu elected representative in BD will give a TV interview with a picture of Durga hanging on the wall behind him and a little Ganesh doll right on his table? And what do you suppose will happen in the mosques all around Bangladesh after they show it on TV?
Old December 23, 2006, 10:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
Some questions: What is the likelihood that a Hindu elected representative in BD will give a TV interview with a picture of Durga hanging on the wall behind him and a little Ganesh doll right on his table? And what do you suppose will happen in the mosques all around Bangladesh after they show it on TV?
Sorry could not help myself !!! I know the question is for my friend "Hitler" but I will give you my opinion on it nonetheless.

First, yes there might be some people in BD who would raise a hue and cry about this but I am not sure if that will a significant amount. However all this is based on how we perceive the Bd society now.

From a personal point of view, I dont think it is anyones god damm business what an elected representative hangs from her wall in the back while giving an interview. The reps job is to work for the people and the people should evaluate that person based on his job and not by other indicators.

What this writer mentioned in his article regarding the oath taking using Quran is also wrong and if someone raises a hue and cry about the hypothetical situation you mentioned that would also be wrong. Both incidents would be condemned by me and I am sure by most people here in BC.

Why do I think it is wrong on the part of the writer? Well, it only makes sense that if the person is administered oath using his own "religion's book" which he is more likely to cherish than any other "religion's books". The oath would make more sense as he would be probably swearing by the Quran to carry out his responsibilities rather than by the bible, a book that wont have the same relevance to him.
Old December 23, 2006, 11:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
First, yes there might be some people in BD who would raise a hue and cry about this
Some? What if he started all his TV speeches with Om shanti and nomo nomo or some other equivalent of bismillah? You think there will be some scathing report in Sangram or Dinkal about it? After all, Islam is the state religion of Bangladesh, constitutionally.

Quote:
but I am not sure if that will a significant amount. However all this is based on how we perceive the Bd society now.
I think your perception might not be on the mark here.

Quote:
Why do I think it is wrong on the part of the writer? Well, it only makes sense that if the person is administered oath using his own "religion's book" which he is more likely to cherish than any other "religion's books". The oath would make more sense as he would be probably swearing by the Quran to carry out his responsibilities rather than by the bible, a book that wont have the same relevance to him.
Tell that to the hypothetical angry Bangladeshi man who is livid about some malu mp starting his speeches by worshipping Ganesh. Why doesn't he go back to his real motherland India, where all his bastard brethren live to hate us?

Of course, there's a heavy dose of irony in the rhetorical questions I posed earlier.
Old December 23, 2006, 11:49 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Arnab, if you compare with usa and bangladesh, the question comes, should they have the right to brag about being the leader of democracy and civilization? what is the difference between them and afgan talebans?
Old December 23, 2006, 12:42 PM
ODI Cricketer

if anyone living in BD, would know that the hindus here freely and happily do shardio durga utshob, and not many gets upset about it, we have had mutual respect between different religious people for a very long time, even after the 1920's violence.
Old December 23, 2006, 12:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhferdaus
if anyone living in BD, would know that the hindus here freely and happily do shardio durga utshob, and not many gets upset about it, we have had mutual respect between different religious people for a very long time, even after the 1920's violence.
And anyone living in US would know that Muslims there freely and happily do Eid, and not many gets upset about it. The Christians there are a very tolerant bunch, prolly more tolerant than our mollas.
Old December 23, 2006, 12:51 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

does BD even have any non-muslim MPs and stuff...i hear the AL's "karl rove" is a hindu...

to be honest, BD is in some ways a lot more open than US. we don't get eid holidays off here, but in BD christmas, hindu and buddhist holidays are all observed even tho the minority population in BD is no bigger than the minority pop in US.

to be honest, shouldn't a hindu politician be allowed to say whatever he wants or have any idol of his choosing on his desk? since when does ONE POLITICIANS religion choose the religion of the whole state?

unfortunately i would have agree with Arnab on this one tho i don't want to. with that being said, i have studied prager's writings and such with the JWR for at least the last 2-3 years...he's a complete bigot (as are most of the JWR columnists; they have legendary figures such as Ann Coulter in their ranks).

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 23, 2006, 12:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
Arnab, if you compare with usa and bangladesh, the question comes, should they have the right to brag about being the leader of democracy and civilization? what is the difference between them and afgan talebans?
Well, I am not outright comparing them with us in all areas, although we will come out short in many categories I think.

Just pointing out how a similar situation might be dealt with by us. I can see the writer's PoV, which is not to say that I support his PoV. We have plenty Dennis Pragers of our own.
Old December 23, 2006, 12:55 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
And anyone living in US would know that Muslims there freely and happily do Eid, and not many gets upset about it. The Christians there are a very tolerant bunch, prolly more tolerant than our mollas.
their mullahs are just as intolerant as our mullas (mullahs of all religions are equally intolerant).

when it comes down to it, the difference is that the lay US christian isn't going to say or do anything to upset muslims in the US. but by and large, they have the EXACT same feelings that rioting muslims in dhaka do, or rioting hindus in gujrat or tamil nadu.

its just their feelings are translated as different actions.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 23, 2006, 01:03 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
their mullahs are just as intolerant as our mullas (mullahs of all religions are equally intolerant).

when it comes down to it, the difference is that the lay US christian isn't going to say or do anything to upset muslims in the US. but by and large, they have the EXACT same feelings that rioting muslims in dhaka do, or rioting hindus in gujrat or tamil nadu.

I wonder which Mullah of ours would want any non-Muslim to touch Al-Quran to take oath??? that is just plain stupid, and I wonder if there is anyone here with that stupidity level ...
Old December 23, 2006, 01:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
As long as they're not rioting and burning my house and family in flames, I'm fine.
Old December 23, 2006, 01:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhferdaus
I wonder which Mullah of ours would want any non-Muslim to touch Al-Quran to take oath??? that is just plain stupid, and I wonder if there is anyone here with that stupidity level ...
Well, at the core, America is more Christian than any other Western country.

This is a commotion mainly because this guy is probably the first ever non-christian senator. That's after 200 years of America' s independence. I can see some sections of American society getting agitated.
Old December 23, 2006, 01:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

This is a commotion mainly because this guy is probably the first ever non-christian senator. .

I am sure they never had a Jewish senator......
Old December 23, 2006, 02:17 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Not sure when you left BD, but BTV starts everyday with first an Islamic onushthan, and then a program on any one other religion. Not sure if they do it with any specific order (although that would be a logical guess), but many times there are Hindu ones too.

And Arnab bhai, if you got a US citizenship, what do you have to take your oath with? Bible? In Canada, they specifically tell you that you could, or may be SHOULD, bring the text from your own religion. Of course Canada is officially multicultural, but US probably has similar proportions of non-Whites and non-Christian citizens as Canada does.

And finally, yes it's the first non-Christian senator in 200 years. So it's better to change late, than never.
Old December 23, 2006, 05:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Firstly, during Durga Puja or whatever they call it, people bring their statues and everything down in the street sometimes. I have seen it first hand myself. Often they take it on top of a truck along with 20 or so devotees and go around the city chanting (praying). How do I know this? Because they went past my house several times during their durga puja festival.

And when they do such things, they go past several mosques some of which filled with hardcore mullahs. They dont raise any issues nor does any one came out to condemn it.

Secondly, I don't know if you ever opened BTV or not. Because I used to remember at the beginning when the tv station opens at afternoon, they begin with someone reciting or preaching parts of bible, gita or holy book of Buddhist. And they did so for many years, as far as my memory goes. No one condemned it, no one again raised an issue.

So do you think if some TV rep would come in and bringing whatever doll or picture will offend people of BD? I am sorry but I think you are confusing us with Saudi Arabia.
Old December 23, 2006, 05:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
I am sure they never had a Jewish senator......
Bhai, kun duniyae asen?

They got very high number of Jewish senators. check this out.

Where do you think all that support for Israel comes from?

Last edited by Alien; December 23, 2006 at 07:19 PM..
Old December 23, 2006, 07:14 PM
Cricket Legend

That Prager guy has no issues if Jews use their book for getting into office. Just shows how anti-Islamic these people are.
Old December 23, 2006, 07:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
Bhai, kun duniyae asen?

They got very high number of Jewish senators. check this out.

Where do you think all that support for Israel comes from?
i think he was being sarcastic.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 23, 2006, 07:41 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

If there was no freedom of speech this guy should be dumped in the looneybin. I stopped reading after he started comparing the situation with Hitler's "Mein Kampf". It just proves how intolerant and ignorant Americans can be and yet they are out there trying to spread so called freedom and democracy.

Even more pathetic to compare it with Bangladesh. We are not talking about a "tv interview", it's an oath taken by an elected politician and that means he has to swear on the book of his core belief, i.e. religion. If he had a a picture of Bin Laden hanging up on his office, that would be a different story.
Old December 23, 2006, 07:43 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
As long as they're not rioting and burning my house and family in flames, I'm fine.
well a couple of points.

- they wouldn't riot anyways because they are the power brokers. when u have gun, you don't punch the bad guy with your fist, you shoot him with your gun. but the fellow who has no gun, uses the fist. the idea is exactly the same, the outward manifestation completely different. muslims riot in streets, christians and jews invade countries with their armies. completely the same idea, they all = expression of rage + mode of exacting revenge + a personalized "F you" note.

- in this particular context, you as an athiest are an angel to them as opposed to the islamic devil. so they would presumably take your side, far from attacking you personally. try to bring up gay marriage issues, or gun control laws, or increased taxes, or stem cell research, or EVOLUTION and they will suddenly forget completely about eminem (the muslim menace, lol). and should you be an abortion doctor, make sure you get plenty of insurance for your clinic or have it made out of bomb proof materials.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 23, 2006, 07:47 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
at the risk of being risque here is an answer to that question,

the mosques around BD would remain EMPTY especially if its pohila boisak.

LOL

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 23, 2006, 08:15 PM
Cricket Legend

This bigot was questioning why Mr Elision did not take oath touching Bible? Why Quran? Can someone tell the bigot Mr Elision did the right thing. For him, Bible is like another book like a text book. while Quran is not another book to him . It is his document of faith so carry more weight than touching Bible, Torah.

Arnab,
you missing the whole point. In Bangladesh AFAIK mps do not has to take oath touching a holy book. And I never saw a politician making speech with the Quran at his side. There is thus very little chance that your hypothetical question arise. In some sense you are right. There are lots of Danis Prager molla in Bangladesh. But the difference is that Bangladeshi mullah do not preach in newspapers and also strong condemnation usually followed (particularly in urban area) if he do so even in mosque.
AFAIK (I may be wrong), jew can not be president of US of A. In that sense, we are more secular and separation of legislation and religion is more clear at least in this aspect. Our consititution at least does not bar anyone for being the cheif executive of country because of his religion. Why a senator has to take oath touching bible? People did not elect him for preaching religion. Why he have to show his loyality touching a holy book?

Last edited by thebest; December 23, 2006 at 08:45 PM..
Old December 23, 2006, 08:32 PM
Cricket Sage

actually the best is right:

khaleda isn't giving speeches carryin the koran around...so that situation is not analgous at all.

#OneTeam1Dream