facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old July 2, 2012, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Turbo.

Has Bangladesh society gotten even more intolerant than ever before? Or the hidden bigotry has now been allowed to fester in open?

Replace the word "corrupt" for "intolerant" and my question still stands.

It is shameful how the indefensible is being defended.

Old July 2, 2012, 11:57 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

WTG Turbo ...

Defended and glorified in de facto partnership with GOD as His angry little deputies here (this is where one should utter Astagferullah, IMHO).

A reminder to the arrogant zealots devoid of Taqwa in their indignation:

Quote:
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Quran 6:108)

"O you who believe, no people shall ridicule other people, for they may be better than they. Nor shall any women ridicule other women, for they may be better than they. Nor shall you mock one another, or call each other names. Evil indeed is the reversion to wickedness after attaining faith. Anyone who does not repent after this, these are the transgressors." (Quran 49:11)

"O you who believe, if a wicked person brings any news to you, you shall first investigate, lest you commit injustice towards some people, out of ignorance, then become sorry and remorseful for what you have done." (Quran 49:6)

"O you who believe, you shall avoid any suspicion, for even a little bit of suspicion is sinful. You shall not spy on one another, nor shall you backbite one another; this is as abominable as eating the flesh of your dead brother. You certainly abhor this. You shall observe GOD. GOD is Redeemer, Most Merciful." (Quran 49:12)

"O people, we created you from the same male and female, and rendered you distinct peoples and tribes, that you may recognize one another. The best among you in the sight of GOD is the most righteous. GOD is Omniscient, Cognizant." (Quran 49:13)
Now, anything to say about the actual topic of this thread?
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old July 3, 2012, 12:09 AM
Administrator

The new WB prezzy also agrees with the decision.
Old July 3, 2012, 12:11 AM
Cricket Savant

Only Muhit Shaheb was hoping that the new Prez wouldn't. Explains why many feel he has finally gone senile.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old July 3, 2012, 12:27 AM

Muhit bhai should know organization such as WB never play one man show. It definitely need few significant step/outcome from Bangladesh, yet will take a year or two to cancel the cancellation. Big mouth from BD govt. didnt helped, rather more damaging right from the beginning of the crisis.

Quote:
Tuesday, July 3, 2012

New WB chief supports Padma loan cancellation

Star Online Report
New World Bank President Jim Yong Kim has said he supported the decision of the organisation's immediate past president cancelling the Padma bridge loan.

The WB chief made the remarks during a media roundtable in Washington DC replying to a query from a journalist on July 2.

Regarding Zoellick decision to Padma bridge loan cancellation, Kim replied, "I do think it was appropriate."

"I've been following the situation closely, and Mr Zoellick (former president of WB) and the senior staff have informed me fully about the decision," Kim said.

"The Bank has a sterling record in fighting corruption. The Bank was the first to raise the issue of corruption in the 1990s and has a no-tolerance policy for corruption. The discussions with the government of Bangladesh started in September. Even toward the very end, there were extensions given so that there would be what we would think of as an appropriate response; and not seeing one, we cancelled the bridge project," he said.

"Now, we're very concerned about the well-being of the poorest people in Bangladesh, but what I must stress is the Bank's position is that we do not tolerate corruption," he added.
Daily Star
Old July 3, 2012, 12:46 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6_Turbo
Why is the picture above relevant? And why can't a muslim pray to Allah for non-muslims. Maybe he's praying for their salvation?

In Bangladesh...yes how dare they inaugurate non muslim places of worship in Bangladesh. Bet they're the same tossers, who whinge when their plans for mosques are denied by City councils.

This is the kind of **** the Jamaat/BNP scum do before every election - all mosques will become temples...vote for us, vote for us.

Pathetic.

As for the actual topic of the thread, a complete disgrace. I know the WB isn't holy, and they, like all other donor agencies try and impose their will on countries...but that does not excuse the shambles this whole thing has turned into.

I knew the loan was going to get cancelled - old man still has a lot of contacts in the WB from his time working there, so no real surprise, but the entire fiasco is an embarrassment.
A Muslim can always Pray for a non Muslim..... .

We can add a lot of 'May' and assume a lot to suit the above.... But that was an inauguration of a mandir and you know during inauguration prayer you pray for progress and prospects of that very thing. If they were saying different things at heart... They are hypocrites and that doesn't look any good to me....nor to either religion/God

This isn't the first temple being inaugurated in BD and this isn't the only temple in BD... The picture of BD being intolerant to other religion is a misrepresentation.. I think BD is more tolerant of other religions than Ind -Pak and our neighbors and many many other established democracies. The poster I think posted it as it was a surprise that the guys inaugurating in a Islamic way...because it doesn't go together......why should Jamat come in every time a Muslim talks about Islam?? Has it been copyrighted by Jamaat??? I thought and still believe My religion belongs to me and to every Muslim...

Sohel NR bhai, you are miss quoting Quran here, just take the first verse. Nobody has said bad about Hindus or any other religion's god, it was about the Muslim praying in Islamic style in an inauguration of a ltemple... So it's talking about Muslims only ... I'm not aware if they have changed their religion ... In that case they should have done it the Hindu way and none would say anything. I/we Bangladeshis respect every religion. I would have preferred them to do it the Hindu way...it was funny..

Indian movies/serials Will spend 10/50 % times respectively showing their religion and we will watch being glued, but if in our movies/serials we show Muslims praying and talk about our God, it immediately gets a label of Jamaat.... Unless that Muslim protrayal is a negative one. And we Muslims think that by doing this we are being fair to other religion....looks like now Muslims don't have the right to their religion...it's not political at all...

Last edited by BANFAN; July 3, 2012 at 01:16 AM..
Old July 3, 2012, 12:55 AM

A must read latest article on dealing/story between BD & WB.

Quote:
Tuesday, July 3, 2012
Front Page

WB ignored Dhaka's proposals to end row

Muhith tells parliament, again blames Zoellick for taking 'hasty, imprudent' decision on Padma bridge loan

Staff Correspondent
Finance Minister AMA Muhith said in parliament yesterday he believed former World Bank president Robert Zoellick had never taken into cognisance any of Bangladesh's proposals to end the stalemate over the Padma bridge project

Click here to read statement of the finance minister on Padma bridge project

Bangladesh had continuously held discussions on the issue in Dhaka, Washington and other places between December last year and April this year, he said.
“I believe that the World Bank president never took any of our proposals into cognisance,” the finance minister told the Jatiya Sangsad in a written statement.
“Probably, in an attempt to settle the issue in haste during his term, the outgoing World Bank president Robert Zoellick took this imprudent decision which has shattered Bangladesh's image.

“In April, a government representative [prime minister's international affairs adviser Gowher Rizvi] went to Washington to discuss the matter. He could not meet Zoellick because the World Bank president was preoccupied with other schedules. But he continued talks with other World Bank high-ups.”

After Muhith gave his statement, Speaker Abdul Hamid said he hoped the crisis over the Padma bridge funding would now be resolved.

"I want to state in clear terms that there has been no misuse, corruption or irregularities in the Padma bridge project," the finance minister affirmed, this time not reading from the written statement.
Terming the WB's decision improper, Muhith said in the written statement, “The World Bank cannot malign a country or dishonour its people on the basis of an unconfirmed or incomplete allegation.”

The WB cancelled its $1.2 billion credit for the project on Saturday, saying it has proof of corruption conspiracy involving Bangladeshi officials, executives of a Canadian firm and individuals.

“I consider that the World Bank statement has humiliated the whole country and the allegation labelled against us is not well founded,” said Muhith.
The finance minister once again urged the bank to review its decision, and said, “I hope we will have talks with the bank's top leadership any moment.”
He was confident that the government would be able to start the project's work this fiscal year.

Muhith urged other financiers to take prudent decisions. “I also think other development partners will carry out their responsibilities in this project by analysing the World Bank's decision and statement.”
The minister told the House that in order to clarify the government's position before the nation he had released a set of letters that the government had sent to the WB. But he did not make available the WB's letters to the government for the sake of the ongoing probe and out of respect to the global lender.
The finance minister provided a detailed background of the project and sequence of events.

He said the bank's claim that the Bangladesh government did not act properly on corruption allegations was not correct. The government went beyond its routine procedures and was accommodative about all of the bank's recommendations, said Muhith.

“The World Bank wanted to sign a memorandum of understanding with us on corruption. I consider it highly disgraceful. Instead, I informed them that this should also apply to the understanding that we reach with the development partners through formal correspondence.”

Muhith said the bank informed the government on April 9 that the probe in Canada was at a final stage and that the Canadian authorities had arrested two SNC-Lavalin officials. One of the officials told them that “he, through some distinguished individuals [whose identity was not disclosed], offered to give commission to some influential Bangladeshis if their firm was selected for the job.”
The Canadian authorities confiscated the official's diary and found a list, said Muhith.

“I preferred not to make the list public as it would have ruined the reputation of those individuals. This list includes the names of politicians and bureaucrats as well as other individuals.
“Any writing in the diary would be credible evidence only when more proof is found in support of the writing. In my opinion, the whole matter is based on the possibility of corruption which the World Bank has called the conspiracy of corruption.”

“We wanted to blacklist SNC-Lavalin when such allegations were raised and thus it is unfair to complain that we tried to protect any corrupt individual.”
In early June, a WB delegation came to Dhaka on the government's invitation and the team had discussions with the government on corruption allegations and the project's implementation, Muhith said.

After this discussion the WB sent a letter asking the government to take some steps that included sending on leave the officers allegedly involved in the corruption and keeping a WB-designated panel informed about the progress in the probe and taking their advice.

“The problem with these proposals was that we were forced to admit the corruption allegations before they were substantiated. Therefore, we did not accede to their proposal and resorted to other means to dispel their concerns.”

Muhith said the WB's proposal to form a separate inquiry cell was not necessary at all, as the ACC had already formed one, while the bank's advice regarding giving a foreign panel full access to the findings was not in conformity with ACC laws.
The government floated tenders for the main bridge in April 2010 with permission from all the partners. Later, a re-tender was floated on the advice of the WB following a change in the bridge's design, he said.

The minister added the WB thrice advised the government to accept the Chinese company CRCC for qualifying in the prequalification. "But the evaluation committee comprising experts did not accept the advice."
The bridge department following an inquiry informed that the CRCC never applied for reconsideration, and the company's Bangladesh agent, Ventura International Ltd, resorted to corrupt practices in this regard.

"The World Bank went on to repeatedly recommend the CRCC …. As a result, the project implementation was delayed by three months. We don't know whether the World Bank has taken any action against those who were connected in this scam," said the minister.
Later, the CRCC informed the government that it was not interested in the project. At the same time, it cut off relations with its Bangladesh agent.

Muhith said two officials from the integrity department of the WB visited Bangladesh in April to probe the allegations of corruption in the project. They also met a group of business and spread "indecent rumours about a respectable person," the minister added without naming who the "respectable person" was.

"At this meeting, an official named Howard Dean lodged a complaint of corruption against a respectable person. One of the members present in that gathering protested firmly and requested him to refrain from spreading this kind of story. He also challenged him and asked him to show evidence in support of this allegation. In the end, the World Bank official withdrew his comments and apologised," he said.
Muhith said a representative of the government went to Washington and held talks with senior WB officials on how to eliminate possibilities of corruption in the project.

"Taking the secret and informal proposal into cognizance, the prime minister took steps to bring in new leadership in the bridge division," he said, adding that the services of the project director were terminated and the secretary and the then communications minister were transferred.

Following this, the top management of the bank said it would inform Dhaka about its stance after discussions with the WB president.
"Later, they [WB officials] told us that our proposal and other steps could not satisfy the bank. They suggested the work of the bridge remain suspended until the Canadian probe is completed. They also suggested that the inquiry by the Anti-Corruption Commission should continue," Muhith said.
Daily Star
Old July 3, 2012, 03:38 AM
Cricket Legend

We can also think about alternative project like Padma highway. Just wait few more years to let the water level to drop even more if not then make sure that we don't get enough water through the Farakka Barrage. Then fill the least deepest areas of Padma and build up a highway.
Old July 4, 2012, 02:31 AM

Mahfuz Anam questioning the obvious.

Quote:
Wednesday, July 4, 2012
Front Page

Commentary

Public interest sacrificed to protect one man

Mahfuz Anam
After sifting through the government's letters to the World Bank (WB) concerning the Padma Bridge, made public the other day, we cannot but conclude that it was all done to save one man. The correspondence shows that all these negotiations, trips by our officials to the WB headquarters in Washington DC and meetings in Dhaka had helped us to cross all hurdles, but ultimately the deal fell through because the government would not agree to let one minister go “on leave”.

Below we give an explanation as to how we reach such a conclusion.
At the end of the long and tortuous negotiation process, it was the last three conditions of the WB upon which final agreement or non-agreement depended. These conditions, as mentioned in the WB's press statement of June 29, 2012, were

“(1) place all public officials suspected of involvement in the corruption scheme on leave from Government employment until the investigation is completed; (ii) appoint a special inquiry team within the ACC to handle the investigation, and (iii) agree to provide full and adequate access to all investigative information to a panel appointed by the World Bank comprised of internationally recognised experts so that the panel can give guidance to the lenders on the progress, adequacy, and fairness of the investigation.”

Let us examine the finance minister's statement in parliament on Monday on these “conditions”. About the second, he termed it “redundant” (in paragraph 16 of the official English text). About the third, he claimed it was “in contradiction with the existing laws of the ACC ….” But later he said in the same paragraph that given the practice that prior approval of development partners is obtained in all matters of foreign aided projects “the ACC, giving due regard to this reality, worked out a mechanism in consultation with the expert group of the World bank. They agreed to send a letter to the WB detailing the manner in which they would circulate information, consider/act on advice and ensure the involvement of the development partners.”

It is obvious from the above text that both parties, our government and the WB, were able to thrash out an agreement on the second and the third conditions. That leaves us with the first, in which the WB demands that suspected “public officials” be sent on leave till the investigation is over. This is where, as we understand, the negotiations broke down.

A letter written by senior secretary Iqbal Mahmood is very revealing on this score.
The letter addressed to Isabel Guerrero, WB vice president for South Asia, dated June 26, 2012, said, and we quote, “The government of Bangladesh is fully committed to taking actions against all officials and ministers on the recommendation of the BACC (Bangladesh Anti-Corruption Commission). In deference to your request for immediate action against the 'officials' for the duration of inquiry, the Government of Bangladesh agreed to take immediate actions against the 'officials' named in your referral.

“However, there appears to have been a genuine miscommunication. Your letter of June 05, 2012 referred clearly to 'officials' and not 'ministers'. Our reading of the letter was confirmed by the advice we got from our colleagues in Washington DC and therefore agreed to the actions only against the 'officials'. The actions against the 'ministers' would essentially await preliminary findings of the BACC,” unquote.

From the above we get the impression that all the while our government thought the WB was only talking about some government officials and not any minister, and that the government was taken aback now that the WB was also referring to a minister.
Is this “miscommunication” argument genuine? It is interesting to note that the WB press statement dated June 30 (we have not been given copies of the WB letters to the government) uses the term “public officials”, whereas the government letters to the WB uses “officials”, which was also the term used by the finance minister in his speech to parliament.

Did the WB use the term “public officials” in its letters? Only copies of their letters can prove it, which we do not possess at the moment. But if they did, then why did our government keep on using the term “officials” and not "public officials"? This one word now becomes important to understand if there were any genuine grounds for the “miscommunication”.

The government's position becomes quite untenable if we consider another letter by the same correspondent dated June 28. In it he says and we quote, “In early October, the Vice President South Asia (VPSA) and Vice President INT visited Dhaka and provided a verbal report (but no evidence) of “pay to play” in the consultancy prequalification. The VPSA suggested in a private conversation with the Honorable Finance Minister, that if the two officers and the ministers in charge were moved out, the Bank would resume the project,” unquote. (Emphasis ours).

At this stage, only three individuals stood between our dream of a bridge over the Padma and the national humiliation that we are now suffering under. Out of these three, the government later agrees about the two. And then we are stuck with the third as we see below.

In his last letter, dated June 29, Iqbal Mahmood writes, among other things, and we quote, “One officer mentioned in your referral will proceed on leave, while the other one has already been retired from Government Service. Action against the remaining person will take more time as explained in the previous letter,” unquote. (Emphasis ours)

It is amply clear from the above letters by the government that it had agreed to all the latest three conditions of the WB except removing one minister. The argument that to remove the minister was to admit guilt is facile at best. There are numerous cases where a person accused of wrongdoing is temporarily removed to facilitate investigation, and reinstated with honour if exonerated. Wasn't that what the WB was asking for? Recently, the German president, when accused of wrongdoing immediately resigned, saying he was doing it for the sake of proper investigation. Nobody took it for admission of guilt.

Was it worth jeopardising the Padma bridge project that the government itself describes as one “on which hangs the prosperity and wellbeing of 60 million people of Bangladesh?” How could an elected government choose to protect one individual against the interest of 60 million people? Can a people's government, in its wildest of errors, make such a choice? But ours did -- consciously, deliberately and over a long period.

The finance minister said that the WB statement has “humiliated the whole country.” Yes, it did, and we all feel humiliated and outraged. And we also feel that the government chose to insult us only to protect a minister.
Throughout our piece and the accompanying reports, we have chosen to keep the minister unnamed. We do so to underscore the point that we hold the government far more guilty for protecting him against the interest of the whole nation than we hold the minister guilty for bringing us all to such disrepute.

I have wondered about the minister in question. When he saw how a major national project was being jeopardised because of him, how the very government of which he was a part was moving towards a head-on clash with the WB, how his country would face international stigma of corruption and how the 60 million people would feel let down, why didn't he have the simple decency to remove himself from the scene by resigning? Would it have meant admission of guilt? Isn't the public holding him guilty now? If he had left with an appeal to the PM, whom he claims to respect, saying “I am resigning to spare the government any embarrassment, and in the greater interest of the country and the people and I demand an independent inquiry in my absence to prove my innocence”, his stature would have been heightened tenfold than it is now. Recently, he called a few media outlets and wrote to a few saying how honest, pious and innocent he was. All his piety did not give him the moral courage to spare his country, his party and especially his Prime Minister this shameful predicament.
Daily Star
Old July 4, 2012, 02:40 AM

More on how 'Public interest sacrificed to protect one man'.

Quote:
Wednesday, July 4, 2012
Front Page

Padma Loan Negotiation Failure

Minister biggest reason

Rezaul Karim Byron and Sharier Khan

The prime minister's reluctance to remove the minister in charge is the biggest reason for the government's failure in solving the Padma bridge project loan crisis with the World Bank.

Sources said the government was more or less flexible about all other outstanding issues.

According to a government letter to the bank on June 28 which was made public by the finance minister on July 1, WB high officials last October verbally asked Finance Minister AMA Muhith to remove the minister in charge and two officials to have the bank resume the project.

“The honourable prime minister was reluctant to take actions against the high-level public officials without actionable evidence, but in the larger interest of the country and in order not to jeopardise her electoral commitment she used her routine cabinet reshuffle to adjust the portfolios to meet the Bank's demands,” says the letter.

However, the change of the said minister's portfolio did not satisfy the WB. The issue came up again in early June when the two parties gave the issue a final try.
In another letter on June 26, the finance ministry senior secretary noted, “In deference to your [WB] request for immediate action against the 'officials' for the duration of inquiry, the Government of Bangladesh agreed to take immediate actions against the officials named in your referral.

“However, there appears to have been a genuine miscommunication. Your letter on June 5, 2012 referred clearly to 'officials' and not 'ministers'. Our reading of the letter was confirmed by the advice we got from our colleagues in Washington DC and therefore agreed to the actions only against the 'officials'. The actions against the 'ministers' would essentially await preliminary findings of the BACC (Bangladesh Anti-Corruption Commission).”

This letter reconfirmed that the said minister would not be removed. This was reconfirmed by a third letter issued on June 29, the very day the WB cancelled the loan deal.

But sources said although the letter talked about a misunderstanding over the definition of 'officials', the WB had categorically named the minister during talks since October last year.

The WB had been very serious about the minister's removal as it believed a person accused of corruption cannot and should not lead such a large project, the sources added.

They said the WB integrity vice-presidency (INT) had started investigating the bridge project tender late in 2010, even before signing the loan contract in April 2011. As part of it, the INT interviewed all the bidders that had participated in the tender for project construction supervisory consultant in 2010.

The investigation was triggered by an allegation sent to the WB in September-October of 2010 stating that certain men of the minister in charge had been approaching the bidders.

This allegation landed in the INT's report that was handed over to the government on September 21 last year. It states, “One confidential witness told INT that the company s/he worked for received a visit from an individual claiming to work for Sahco who said he was taking instructions directly from Minister Hossain. According to this confidential witness, the Sahco representative said that, in exchange for a specified percentage of the contract value, Minister Hossain would help the company in the PQ (pre-qualifying) process for the Padma Main Bridge Contract.”

On June 29, the WB cancelled its $ 1.2 billion loan stating high-level corruption in the bridge project.

The proposed 6.2-kilometre (3.8 miles) bridge over the Padma River would connect the capital with the country's 16 south-western districts. The $2.9 billion project also had finances from the Asian Development Bank and Japan International Cooperation Agency (Jica).

Finance Minister Muhith at a press conference on July 1 gave two points where the two parties fell apart. One point was that the government had found it insulting to sign a memorandum of understanding (Mou) over possible corruption and the other was that it had found unacceptable the WB proposed Terms of Reference (ToR) with a foreign panel with the ACC.

However, in his speech in parliament the next day, the finance minister said the ACC had legal limitations for signing the ToR. That's why the ACC through discussion with the WB had devised a way to meet the bank's demands.

“They [ACC] agreed to send a letter to the WB detailing the manner in which they would circulate information, consider/act on advice and ensure the involvement of the development partners (DPs). What they basically meant was that they would receive advice from the DPs and share all information with them,” Muhith told parliament.

“Therefore, a panel can work on behalf of the development partners but the instructions must come from all the development partners or from their coordinator,” he added.

This implies that the government actually agreed to the WB proposal over the ACC with slight modification.

Sources said the final talks were held between WB officials and government high officials and an adviser to the prime minister and the ACC during June 23 to 26. For the first three days, they talked over removing concerned officials. During the dialogue, Bangladesh initially agreed to both the burning issues on ACC and removing the officials and minister.

But on June 26, Bangladesh declined to remove the minister. The government also suddenly became hesitant about signing the TOR for foreign panel in the ACC. The talks ended unfruitful.
Daily Star
Old July 4, 2012, 04:35 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Sohel NR bhai, you are miss quoting Quran here, just take the first verse. Nobody has said bad about Hindus or any other religion's god, it was about the Muslim praying in Islamic style in an inauguration of a ltemple... So it's talking about Muslims only ... I'm not aware if they have changed their religion ... In that case they should have done it the Hindu way and none would say anything. I/we Bangladeshis respect every religion. I would have preferred them to do it the Hindu way...it was funny.
Dear BANFAN,

First of all, there is no Miss Quotation, Mrs. Quotation or misquotation of the Quran in my post.

Furthermore, the accurately translated verses from the Quran have been posted without my personal interpretation of what they mean for a couple of reasons:

1) Because of the nature of the translation in easy to understand, relatively contemporary English extrapolated within the semiological as well as linguistic and exegetical norms of Quranic Arabic, I didn't feel any interpretation is necessary once anyone applies his or her intellect in good faith to understand what is being said.

2) I am not a qualified scholar with credentials to do Tafsir from any of the 5 recognized Madhabs (regardless of doctrinal, methodological and other differences) -- or in rare cases a similarly qualified scholar from outside those Madhabs -- who can do a fair interpretation of the Quran without committing serious error. I personally find it to the height of arrogance bordering on shirk when ego-maniacal zealots without such extensive knowledge of the semiotic, linguistic and exegetical context through an unbroken chain of scholars over 14 centuries of erudition and scholarship, simply choose to bypass the wealth of knowledge and clarity their scholarship has to offer, and argue the validity of their interpretation just for the sake of arguing and pushing forth a coercive and compulsive agenda, often of a totalitarian and political nature.

However, based on my limited knowledge I do have a layman's opinion on those verses , humble and by no means infallible, and I will share them with you as briefly as I can in this thread. May GOD forgive me for my inadvertent error and insolence

Quote:
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Quran 6:108)
This simply tells you to withhold your temper and not offend people -- including people who believe themselves Muslims whom you may deem not practicing "true" Islam and are in fact engaged in some form of "idol worship" -- who worship a deity different from your own consciousness and cognition because you fear that by doing so, they are blaspheming and cursing GOD, thereby harming themselves by incurring the GOD's wrath. GOD created every group and send His divine message understandable from their own perspective to everyone within that group, and everyone will return to Him for detailed assessment and judgement.

Quote:
"O you who believe, no people shall ridicule other people, for they may be better than they. Nor shall any women ridicule other women, for they may be better than they. Nor shall you mock one another, or call each other names. Evil indeed is the reversion to wickedness after attaining faith. Anyone who does not repent after this, these are the transgressors." (Quran 49:11)
This is about Taqwa or absolute deference to GOD and as the direct expression of that deference, the absolute necessity to restrain the ego and refrain from the ego-driven urge to ridicule people who are different from you, and feeling superior in the process. In fact, such behavior, quite common amongst the type of sectarian and fearmongering zealots who made the picture in question, is condemned as "reversion to wickedness" by those who claim to have "attained faith".

Quote:
"O you who believe, if a wicked person brings any news to you, you shall first investigate, lest you commit injustice towards some people, out of ignorance, then become sorry and remorseful for what you have done." (Quran 49:6)
Again self explanatory to anyone who bothers to apply his/her intellect in good faith when reading the verse. Some of the expressions of the "wickedness" GOD is talking about here I've already explained above. GOD wants you to investigate the negative, provocative and politically motivated "news" you're looking at -- news that creates instant division, discord and indignant judgement from and upon "other" people -- and not be easily coerced by it because you opt for a knee-jerk reaction instead. That being said, once your investigation proves your own hateful sentiments unjust, you should be remorseful to GOD and to those people whose feelings you have hurt because of your arrogant and indignant reaction and ignorance.

Quote:
"O you who believe, you shall avoid any suspicion, for even a little bit of suspicion is sinful. You shall not spy on one another, nor shall you backbite one another; this is as abominable as eating the flesh of your dead brother. You certainly abhor this. You shall observe GOD. GOD is Redeemer, Most Merciful." (Quran 49:12)
Self explanatory. We don't know the whole story from all of the unique perspectives. We don't know the context, and we surely don't know what's in the hearts of people. Under these circumstances, GOD is suggesting that we refrain from being suspicious -- suspicion as well backbiting are being described as serious and abominable sins -- and focus on the positive instead, perhaps by giving each other the benefit of doubt.

Quote:
"O people, we created you from the same male and female, and rendered you distinct peoples and tribes, that you may recognize one another. The best among you in the sight of GOD is the most righteous. GOD is Omniscient, Cognizant." (Quran 49:13)
GOD is Omniscient and Omnipotent and has deliberately created every diversity within humankind. Our job is to "get to know one another", meaning try to discover the humanity we have in common, discover that common bond that can bring us together as GOD's creation. GOD also wants us to be righteous regardless of group or archetype -- obviously this means that the righteous exist in every group or archetype -- and they are the best in the sight of GOD, again regardless of group or archetype, recognized or unrecognized.

Anyway, I posted those verses because I found them highly relevant, and always do when it comes to Salafi-type hatemongering under the guise of "religious purity". GOD doesn't need deputies from amongst us. Especially the angry, indignant, totalitarian and supremacist kind who see themselves as His de facto partners and political minions.

There is NO compulsion in religion and one should willfully submit to GOD simply because it is pleasing to Him. Not for rewards or because the submitter fears punishment. Our GOD is the Most Gracious and the Dispenser of Grace, and He prohibits oppression from Himself and from us as His creation. He is the Divine First Cause independent of all things, but all things created by Him are dependent on Him. We need Him. He does not need us, and it is abominable to think that He does, and that we may or can sit in judgement as His self appointed attorneys.

My brotherly suggestion to you is to do justice to your good intent and show a little deference to GOD in the process. And please don't assume too much and put words in my mouth. I won't go into "styles of prayer" and other faiths, never did to begin with in my post, because my Taqwa as well as my limited intellect prevent even qualifying such sentiments.

Peace and GOD bless~

Last edited by Sohel; July 4, 2012 at 09:01 PM..
Old July 4, 2012, 11:50 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Bhais, Koto asa korchilaam, bridge ta hoiley oitaar upor ek side-e daraiya (maajhkhaaney naa,...Hheheheh...tailey tow Truck-e chapa diye maira felbe) Borshi dia tope falaiya Podmar Hilsa maach dhortum (Oparer Dadara machta khetey parar agey), Arr tarpor ghurey dariye bridge-e jaam dhorey goley gele apnader moton tourist-der kaachey maach-ta beche ditum, kintoo aaj shei asa , asai roye geloo.
Old August 14, 2012, 04:13 PM

So this is the latest rumours/gossip going on (not necessarily fact):

Hasina's daughter (Putul) and her husband apparently got immigration to Canada and had moved there from Florida in the past year or two. However, what with the SNC Lavalin and RCMP investigation, Putul and her hubby have given up on Canada and have returned to Bangladesh recently.

Now the gossip is that their PR got cancelled, however I wholly disagree with this logic. A Permanent Resident of Canada has all the rights and privileges of Canadian Citizens except of participating in the governance and political process. So if any PR is charged with a crime, they are arrested. Their PR is NOT cancelled and they are not thrown out of Canada.

If you are suspected then you may be taken in for questioning, and possibly charged with a crime. However, without conviction from the courts, PR cannot be cancelled. At most they may put you on a no fly list so that you cannot escape from Canada. Either way there is no evidence that they were even stopped from fleeing from Canada.

But its very interesting that they have returned to Bangladesh while the investigation in Canada or with World Bank claims that apparently a load of money was paid as bribe by SNC Lavalin to "a relative of the Prime Minister".

Fun times.

Here's another source that has a slightly different version:

Quote:
Global hunt to trace Padma bridge scam

M. Shahidul Islam in Toronto

The tantalizing Padma bridge construction scandal is rolling more heads and snatching sleeps of many bigwigs across the globe. A global hunt is on to trace the trail of huge sums of money, to the tune of $35 million, alleged to have been paid as kickbacks to a number of Bangladeshis by the Montreal-based SNC-Lavalin company which was contracted to act as a consultant for the $2.9 billion mega project.

The hunt follows the launching of an investigation in early last year by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) against the concerned SNC-Lavalin officials, as well as the beneficiaries of the kickbacks in and outside Canada.

The tentacles of investigation have spread further since an eight-member RCMP team had travelled to Dhaka and had held meeting on June 26 with officials from Bangladesh’s Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) to share their findings relating to the kickback allegation involving the 6.5 km - long bridge construction project.

In North America, law enforcers are investigating a number of US companies; including the Infolink International, Nova BD International LLC, SEAMEWE-4 undersea cable, Tyco Communications (USA), Wazed Consulting and Sim Global Services.
“The trail of the ill-gotten fund is being traced in huge real estate investment too,” confirmed a reliable source, insisting on anonymity. The investigators are honing into the source of fund used to pay outstanding mortgages for two comfy houses: one at 3817 Bell Manor Court, Falls Church, Virginia, and the other at 4823 Martin Street, Alexandria (VA 22312).

The investigators are also chasing the trail of an investment of about Can$8 million in the acquisition of six dollar stores and other assets in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) by two Bangladeshi businessmen linked with the scam. The Canadian investments have changed ownership since the launching of the RCMP investigation, it was learnt.

Earlier, the World Bank claimed that it was in possession of credible evidence and had shared the evidence with the Bangladesh authorities with respect to the bona fide of the crime. Citing concerns over the lingering inactivity of the Bangladesh government in investigating and taking appropriate actions against the recipients of the alleged kickbacks, the WB scrapped a $1.2 billion loan for the project on June 30.

Within Canada, the scandal has become a challenging assignment for the authorities. Since the launching of the RCMP investigation at the behest of the World Bank in February 2011, the authorities laid formal charges against SNC-Lavalin’s former chief executive, Pierre Duhaime, and two of the project executives - Ismail Hossain (a Bangladeshi Canadian) and Ramesh Shah (an Indo-Canadian).

A high-profiled Canadian Senator, Hugh Segal, who has been a long time member of SNC-Lavalin’s Board of Directors, has also resigned abruptly from the company’s directorship following the RCMP crackdown. Segal is a member of the Senate’s Foreign Affairs and Anti-Terrorism committees.

Although an independent confirmation could not be made whether Segal too is under investigation or not, a reliable source confirmed that at least four Canada-based Bangladeshis are being investigated upon, two of them close relatives of some very high-ups in Bangladesh.

Earlier, Canadian authorities have impounded the passports of the two relatives of the Bangladeshi politician to prevent them from leaving Canada, but the duo had left the country three weeks ago with their Bangladeshi passports.

The RCMP is unwilling to comment about the passport seizure saga, the case being under investigation and judicial proceedings. The Holiday, however, has learnt that the two relatives of the Bangladeshi high-ups are in Dhaka and their sprawling, pricy residence in a Toronto suburb is being manned by friends and party loyalists.
Meanwhile, Mohammed Ismail and Ramesh Shah, arrested on February 20, are still languishing in prison as their bails have been denied. The duo have had their fourth court appearance on June 25 since they were detained and charged formally on April 11 under subsection 3(1) of Canada’s Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act for exerting influence and offering bribes to foreign officials to secure business.

Within Bangladesh, the alleged beneficiaries of the kickback include former communications minister (later minister for Information and Communications Technology) Syed Abul Hossain, former state minister for foreign affairs, Abul Hasan Chowdhury, former secretary of the bridges division of the communications ministry, Mosharraf Hossain Bhuiyan, former director of Padma Multipurpose Bridge project, Rafiqul Islam, three high-profiled businessmen with stakes in the project, and, a ruling party MP.
http://www.weeklyholiday.net/Homepag.../UserHome.aspx
Old September 20, 2012, 11:11 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Well a year wasted...a lot of embarrassment...thick headed decision making...but finally the financing from the World Bank is on again.

All it took was the removal of two individuals...a minister and an advisor(Dr. Moshiur Rahman) for the WB to give the green light again.

This has been a good lesson in knowing your limits in terms of leverage...don't overplay your hand, especially when you have no cards left to play!!!!
Old September 21, 2012, 12:03 PM
Cricket Savant

We're great at creating unnecessary crisis just to try and manage them later. At least this one was manged.
Old September 21, 2012, 03:54 PM
Cricket Sage

@Ammark.... A crime of Julian Asange would probably even not reach upto the courts in Europe or would have ended with a mere fine... But it has gone upto non bailable arrest and deportation... When the politicans want, law can never remain truly independent... Putul has enough to buy a PR anywhere in the world if she wants.... If its cancelled due to political reasons it can Always be beyond the law ... And law is always as you interpret.. Haven't GWB given enough example of that ..??
Old September 21, 2012, 04:23 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
@Ammark.... A crime of Julian Asange would probably even not reach upto the courts in Europe or would have ended with a mere fine... But it has gone upto non bailable arrest and deportation... When the politicans want, law can never remain truly independent... Putul has enough to buy a PR anywhere in the world if she wants.... If its cancelled due to political reasons it can Always be beyond the law ... And law is always as you interpret.. Haven't GWB given enough example of that ..??
It's a see-sawing battle. If you note what is going on in the courts of Pakistan, Egypt and Fiji, you'll see that the courts are taking a very active role in targeting present and former Prime Ministers/Presidents/Military Dictators. In Pakistan in particular, they've forcibly deposed one incumbent prime minister and are trying to depose the next one too! Is it the work of the opposition? Or external governments, donors and intelligence agencies? it's all unverifiable speculation.

It's not new though. Pinochet had cases against him in multiple jurisdictions and Fujimori still does. What does this mean? Is it the judiciary exercising its independence by prosecuting even those who held Presidential power or is it simply symptomatic of the judiciary catering to the whims of those who hold the reigns of power at present? That's a complex question.
Old September 21, 2012, 04:40 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
It's a see-sawing battle. If you note what is going on in the courts of Pakistan, Egypt and Fiji, you'll see that the courts are taking a very active role in targeting present and former Prime Ministers/Presidents/Military Dictators. In Pakistan in particular, they've forcibly deposed one incumbent prime minister and are trying to depose the next one too! Is it the work of the opposition? Or external governments, donors and intelligence agencies? it's all unverifiable speculation.
as far as Pak is concerned... NO.. It's not the opposition... It's the judiciary itself.. You must have remembered the tussle between the then chief justice Mr Iftekhar and Mosharraf over the PCO issue.

When the chief justice was reinstated through a bloody public revolution.. The chief justice was duty bound to pursue the promises he made during the revolution. Best part is, he is not sold out like most of the SA revolutionary heroes and he is keeping up to his promises irrespective of the consequences.

Like in BD, a chief justice in Pakistan is also appointed by government, so the candidates who are sweating for the post won't be so active or visible against the government and probably will have a spine less SC in future after them like in BD. but this guy is grateful to the people and is not currently bothered about what will come or an extension, so he is doing what he is doing. Let his term finish and see what unfolds. Currently the government isn't in any position to fire him.

This is truly the case... If any HOD in BD wants to be honest he can be, but he has to forget about an extension and he has to face what comes after his retirement, in the form of harassment, well, if people at large would show the currage to ignore that, we could have a neutral society and justice in all the organizations.. But we have too many people of weaker spine... So the politicians dictate everything violating laws when it's necessary..such is the power of politics in corrupted third world. And it works equally in the developed world, when someone disturbs/threatens to disturb the interest of both parties, like Asange..

Last edited by BANFAN; September 22, 2012 at 09:39 AM..
Old September 22, 2012, 01:37 AM
BC Editorial Team

^ I don't disagree with the point about many high officials having no backbone! But we have had our fair share of fiercely independent judges - but that's for another thread.

On topic, some more articles from DS on the Padma Bridge:

Target Clean Project
Rejaul Karim Byron and Md Fazlur Rahman

"The long-cherished Padma bridge project will now be implemented with a new approach, with donors having more clout in the procurement to ensure quality work and prevent corruption in the project.

Donor agencies and the government are now negotiating about various options to this end after the main financier, World Bank, has formally revived its $1.2 billion credit deal for the project, finance ministry officials said.

"The government agreed to a series of measures as a pre-requisite for any renewed implementation," the bank said in a statement, released from Washington on Thursday.

"These include new procurement arrangements with enhanced oversight to ensure transparency and clean construction of the bridge," it added."

Read More

Of heroes, zeroes
Staff reporter

Finance Minister AMA Muhith and Prime Minister's Foreign Affairs Adviser Gowher Rizvi had never given up on the World Bank fund for the Padma bridge constriction, facing sometimes harsh criticism.

Credit also goes to LGRD Minister Syed Ashraful Islam.

On the other hand, former communications minister Syed Abul Hossain and PM's Economic Affairs Adviser Mashiur Rahman themselves portrayed their image as self-loving.

They too had every possibility to be heroes by resigning on their own to fulfil the WB conditions for reversal of the loan cancellation.

The winning back the hearts of the top management of the Washington-based lender was too difficult a job, if not impossible. But the finance minister has never lost hope since the WB suspended the loan bringing corruption allegations in September last year.

He was also vocal against building the bridge with internal funds as proposed by the prime minister and others. Officials said such a plan meant a huge burden on the nation, as it would make a big dent in the country's foreign currency reserve.

Read More
Old September 22, 2012, 01:38 AM
BC Editorial Team

^ I don't disagree with the point about many high officials having no backbone! But we have had our fair share of fiercely independent judges - but that's for another thread.

On topic, some more articles from DS on the Padma Bridge:

Target Clean Project
Rejaul Karim Byron and Md Fazlur Rahman

"The long-cherished Padma bridge project will now be implemented with a new approach, with donors having more clout in the procurement to ensure quality work and prevent corruption in the project.

Donor agencies and the government are now negotiating about various options to this end after the main financier, World Bank, has formally revived its $1.2 billion credit deal for the project, finance ministry officials said.

"The government agreed to a series of measures as a pre-requisite for any renewed implementation," the bank said in a statement, released from Washington on Thursday.

"These include new procurement arrangements with enhanced oversight to ensure transparency and clean construction of the bridge," it added."

Read More

Of heroes, zeroes
Staff reporter

Finance Minister AMA Muhith and Prime Minister's Foreign Affairs Adviser Gowher Rizvi had never given up on the World Bank fund for the Padma bridge constriction, facing sometimes harsh criticism.

Credit also goes to LGRD Minister Syed Ashraful Islam.

On the other hand, former communications minister Syed Abul Hossain and PM's Economic Affairs Adviser Mashiur Rahman themselves portrayed their image as self-loving.

They too had every possibility to be heroes by resigning on their own to fulfil the WB conditions for reversal of the loan cancellation.

The winning back the hearts of the top management of the Washington-based lender was too difficult a job, if not impossible. But the finance minister has never lost hope since the WB suspended the loan bringing corruption allegations in September last year.

He was also vocal against building the bridge with internal funds as proposed by the prime minister and others. Officials said such a plan meant a huge burden on the nation, as it would make a big dent in the country's foreign currency reserve.

Read More
Old September 27, 2012, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Now it's Malaysia's turn to get huffy. The Hasina government has screwed this up royally.

Is Malaysia Facing A Raw Deal In Bangladesh?

By M.Saraswathi

NEW DELHI, Sept 27 (Bernama) -- After months of negotiations and investing in consultancy fees and feasibility studies over Bangladesh's controversial Padma Multipurpose Bridge (PMB), Malaysia may potentially face a raw deal or be at a losing end over the project.

Malaysia got connected with the US$2.9 billion project when Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina decided to offer it to Kuala Lumpur almost a year ago after the World Bank scrapped its financing offer.

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v6/ne....php?id=697658

more:

Quote:
"Malaysian companies seem to be treated badly, probably it is time that we quit before more of our firms go through the same thing," an official close to the deals told Bernama.

Malaysia went to Bangladesh, especially on the Padma River project, armed with goodwill to help another Muslim nation but Kuala Lumpur's good intention seemed to have been ignored, he said.

In view of the latest developments, he suggested that Kuala Lumpur re-look at the MoU that it planned to sign with Dhaka next month on recruiting more Bangladesh workers and recognising it as "source country."
Old September 27, 2012, 12:37 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Malaysia said they were going to take 500,000 Bangladeshis in the next 12 months...they better not mess this up(even more).

I can understand why we looked at alternatives once WB cancelled...but you can't have your hands in both jars and expect to come out unscathed. Convinving the WB to come back was without question the right choice, no way would Malaysia give us the same terms as them...but it makes a mockery of things when the Communication Minister is working on a deal with one party and the Finance Minister along with Foreign Ministry elements working on the same deal with another party.

No coherent message...no unified platform. Oh and they ALL talk too much, expect for Gowher Rizvi uncle...who shut his mouth and worked his butt off to get them back.
Old September 27, 2012, 01:16 AM

And our PM keep talking trash, saying WB has no evidence of corruption that is why they are back in Podma project! Keeping screw around she herself, as well as her screwed staffs. And Moshiur 'uncle' still follows her long way to Newyork.

On the other hand another Abul having such important meeting in his kitchen and says 'new conditions from WB [on 25th nov] wont affect financing', as if WB's new press lelease means jack to BD and her managements.
Old September 27, 2012, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6_Turbo
No coherent message...no unified platform. Oh and they ALL talk too much, expect for Gowher Rizvi uncle...who shut his mouth and worked his butt off to get them back.
Just yesterday or so, Muhit uncle said BD is greatful to Malaysia since they came up to help in a crutial moment and would ask them to invest in other infrastructure such as highways etc., clearly seemed he or his govt. didnt yet talked to Malaysian partner but felt ok to talk media on this issue.
Old September 27, 2012, 01:47 AM
Administrator

Well, give no credence to what Muhit says these days. You know his elevator does not go all the way to the top, This seems to be the case for most of the cabinet these days. Is senility or imbecility a qualification criterion?