facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 18, 2007, 07:48 AM
Cricket Legend

India slammed after shock B'desh defeat
REUTERS

MUMBAI, March 18: Former players, the media and fans rounded on the Indian team on Sunday, a day after their shock five-wicket defeat to neighbouring Bangladesh in a World Cup Group B opening match in Port of Spain.

Winners in 1983 and finalists in the last tournament, India were skittled out for 191 and face a possible early exit along with sub-continent rivals Pakistan if they lose either of their remaining two matches against Sri Lanka and Bermuda.

"Indian batsmen show wilt-power," ran the lead headline on page one of national daily Hindustan Times, referring to the team's pathetic batting display, with a photograph of out-of-form opener Virender Sehwag on his knees after he had been dismissed.

The Times of India's front page headline said "Minnows flex muscles", with a photograph of Sachin Tendulkar walking back and Bangladesh players celebrating in the background.

Ordinary Indians were equally disappointed.

Dozens of angry fans pelted stones at a new house being built by wicket keeper Mahendra Singh Dhoni in his home city of Ranchi, capital of Jharkhand state.

During the last World Cup, fans had attacked Mohammad Kaif's house after India's loss to Australia in the preliminary phase.

In West Bengal state, which borders Bangladesh and shares the same language and many traditions, the mood was mixed.

About 50 goats were tied to a post at a popular central Kolkata meat shop, but owner Osman Ahmed was sullen.

"I had anticipated a great feast on Sunday and got a huge stock in advance but this humiliating defeat has affected my fortunes completely," Ahmed, 41, said.

"We are just shocked and very upset with the way our favourite cricketers played but happy for our Bengali neighbours," Aniket Mullick, a cricket fan in his twenties, said.

Others were planning to cross the border to share in the celebrations in Bangladesh.

BURNING EFFIGIES

The World Cup-frenzy in the country has been fuelled by a multitude of television channels and media houses who have touted the team as favourites and are tracking the action minute-by-minute since the team's arrival in the Caribbean. Private television channels showed fans burning effigies of players in Jaipur and Varanasi on Sunday. People in Kolkata protested against the Indian coach and captain with placards reading, "Go Back (Greg) Chappell" and "Go Back (Rahul) Dravid".

"The Indian cricketers are rich, powerful, glamorous men who do not play well as they are busy endorsing biscuits, cars, shoes and many other things," said Aman Vashist, a college student in the western city of Ahmedabad

Sehwag's place in the team has again come for severe criticism after the opener dragged a Mashrafe Mortaza delivery in the third over onto his stumps to be dismissed for two and set off a collapse.

India's chief selector Dilip Vengsarkar had disclosed recently that Sehwag was picked for the World Cup only at the specific request of skipper Rahul Dravid.

"He (Sehwag) should be rested," former chief selector Kiran More told on Sunday.

"A good start is very important. I think (Robin) Uthappa should open and Rahul (Dravid) should bat at number three as he is one who can carry the innings," More said.

"We need to plan a lot more. I thought we batted very defensively."

Despite the gloom, some drew comfort from the exit of arch-rivals Pakistan.

"We are less ashamed than Pakistan at least," said Nazakat Khan, 33, a New Delhi fan who watched the match into the early hours of Sunday.

Interesting comments by Mr. Nazakat??

Old March 18, 2007, 07:55 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
I would love to see their follow up article, one after the game.

http://www.anandabazar.com/18khela1.htm
Old March 18, 2007, 11:30 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

The only thing I observed that was interesting was how Indian and Pakistani fans in yesterday's event at YorkU were so calmn. At the same time that they were pissed, they were happy that each other's country both died a horrible death. So they were ultimately happy that at least BOTH their teams lost...so they can't taunt each other. Simply AMAZING
Old March 18, 2007, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
The only thing I observed that was interesting was how Indian and Pakistani fans in yesterday's event at YorkU were so calmn. At the same time that they were pissed, they were happy that each other's country both died a horrible death. So they were ultimately happy that at least BOTH their teams lost...so they can't taunt each other. Simply AMAZING
haha! same here in waterloo.

oh and the indian fans were, as usual, coming up with excuses, but i did have a word or two to shut them up. onek kotha shunsi, onek kichu shojjo korsi. not anymore. akhon theke keu kisu koile thash thash kotha shunay mukh bondho koray dibo. shob harua party'r jaat.

my indian co-worker was telling me on friday that india would cream bangladesh. all i responded with was "yeah, that's probably what will happen". i didn't wanna say anything else. i'd thought chances of a bangladesh win were 50/50, but didn't tell him that. wait till i get to work tomorrow
Old March 18, 2007, 06:18 PM
Test Cricketer

http://www.hindu.com/2007/03/19/stor...1905592100.htm
Old March 18, 2007, 06:22 PM
Street Cricketer

What a glorious victory!
We owned that match, didn't we?
Old March 18, 2007, 06:29 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: All BD team players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anika
What a glorious victory!
We owned that match, didn't we?

Is there any doubt Anika?:p
Old March 18, 2007, 06:29 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwullah
"nd Irfan Pathan is capable of getting wickets. Pathan can take three or four wickets in a match plus he can bat well."

When Dhoni's wicket fell, the only name coming into my mind was Irfan Pathan, who could have been dangerous for us at the time.
err...surely sehwag, uthappa, tendu, dravid, dhoni are all better batsmen aren't they? in any case, india scored 30 runs too many by virtue of their last wicket stand, something pathan might have insured if he played. i fail to notice how india missed pathan.

speaking of taking wickets, agarkar (although he's expensive) and munaf are both more prolific at that then pathan.
Old March 18, 2007, 06:36 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond
Is there any doubt Anika?:p
As a Bangladeshi, no way! :p
But Indians are still in a shock! hihihi