facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 26, 2009, 06:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones
Default If picked, will IPL be a friend or foe of BD cricket development?

I know this subject matter may be premature or a waste of time depending on the outcome of the much awaited IPL auction for our beloved BD players but it’s begging to be discussed. The answer of the afore-mentioned question should very much dictate whether or not we should welcome or reject IPL auction.

I know that the much financially starved cricketers of Bangladesh deserve every penny they can get from a foreign franchise such as IPL. But the question is, will this huge sum of money be good for the development of Bangladesh cricket?

If Shakib or any one from BD gets picked for a huge chunk of change then

Pros:

• IPL contract is a huge reward for their hard work and when rewarded everyone tries to do even better.
  • If one gets rewarded for his hard work then the rest will only try to play catch up which will create competition and better performance.
  • Everyone also seems to do better when a role model is found, Shakib’s inclusion in IPL could be a catalyst as such.
  • IPL contract may also result in a lack of interest for ICL amongst other BD players stopping the exodus. (which is a wrong label)
  • The exposure to such competition will teach our developing cricketers’ the skill, technique and the mental strength from the high-pressure that such short form of cricket has to offer.

Cons:

• The huge pay day can also be detrimental to this young minds who may get the “king of the world” feeling and become complacent.
  • Their commitment to IPL could be short but it could very well take the responsibility or commintment away from the national matches where pride and glory form most part of their paycheck.
  • They may not even do their 100% on the field trying to keep them injury free to keep the IPL contract intact and paycheck coming.
  • (depending on how many) Their absence from the NCL due to their involvement in IPL may have an adverse effect to the overall quality of the league and thus loosing interest for the local spectators and clubs.

So I guess the answer to my own question is rather leaning toward the positive outcome of the IPL but some of you may argue and we are all ears to hear them. Please bring it on………..

Old January 26, 2009, 06:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

There are definetly both pros and cons but if the boys can earn success and still have national duty in mind it should be a good thing
Old January 26, 2009, 07:43 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

i reckon it will be a good thing because if they get picked up by an IPL team then if they want to keep their spot and if they want to keep their value up then they're going to have to perform. plus they'll be around some really good cricketers which imo can only help them develop better.
Old January 26, 2009, 07:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Foe.
Old January 26, 2009, 08:08 PM
Cricket Legend

BCB will think it as a foe but its really a friend becuase IPL will improve our players.
Old January 26, 2009, 08:10 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Big time Foe.

For our boys I am against all kind of T20 games. Emnei impatient. If they play more of these sort of jodi laigga jai matches they will be soon follow their T20 performance in test. Which in clear words will out in one session.
Old January 26, 2009, 09:11 PM
Cricket Sage

it will most likely hurt us..our players are already T-20 experts...we need reliable responsible player..not dhum dharakka type players..but ipl is here to stay and there isn't much we can do about it..
Old January 26, 2009, 09:19 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Big time Foe.

For our boys I am against all kind of T20 games. Emnei impatient. If they play more of these sort of jodi laigga jai matches they will be soon follow their T20 performance in test. Which in clear words will out in one session.
Tigers_eye , you are giving 20-20 more credit that it deserves.Players wont change overnight.ODI cricket has improoved the quality of Test cricket over the years and the same will happen with 20-20.

I am not a big fan of 20-20 not because its going to diminish the quality of cricket (I think it will improove) but rather it might slowly kill Test cricket by virtue of its popularity.

If you look at the people who shined in last IPL or the 20-20 WC you would see that only good players have succeeded ..

There was a dicsussion on slogging in another thread ..sloggers will not succeed any form even in 20-20 , they might have a good innings here are there (which is true in ODI and tests) but will eventually fail.

Shewag and Ghambir are good in all forms so will Marsh and Watson.Class players will succeed in any format.The only thing I see different in this format is that this game is a young mans game, its hard to see the old timers tailor their game to this new format.This happened when ODI's were first introduced.Its more to do with adapting to the format than anything else.
Old January 26, 2009, 09:41 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

t20 cricket is alot about doing the basics right imo, sure sloggers will do ok, better than in other versions but you can still perform well in t20 cricket by batting with true cricket shots and bowling in the right area's (i'd say the best t20 players are the ones who do this the best).
Old January 26, 2009, 09:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsash
BCB will think it as a foe but its really a friend becuase IPL will improve our players.
Disagree with that part, if they think it is a foe then why didnt they stoip razzak from joining IPL ? anyways IMHO it is a friend as it will give a better exposure to our players and they will be around good cricketers form whom they can get a few tips or two .
Old January 26, 2009, 10:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Just like Mr. Anderson said in Matrix, IPL (not 20/20) is a DISEASE. Money making machine which will kill the real cricket - TEST.
Old January 26, 2009, 10:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrubo
Disagree with that part, if they think it is a foe then why didnt they stoip razzak from joining IPL ? anyways IMHO it is a friend as it will give a better exposure to our players and they will be around good cricketers form whom they can get a few tips or two .
maybe because he was a key player.But why did they ban the ICL players then?
Old January 26, 2009, 10:40 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

ICL will not help our cricketers. What our cricketers need is more 3-4 day matches so they can work on their application. 20/20 is parar cricket with a little bit of class (depending on the quality of the player) and a lot of entertainment.
Old January 26, 2009, 10:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrubo
I don't see what 'tips' they're going to get. Tips on playing twenty20 cricket? Absolutely useless.
Old January 26, 2009, 10:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsash
maybe because he was a key player.But why did they ban the ICL players then?
Uhh....because it was a forbidden league?
Old January 26, 2009, 11:16 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Friend. They won't get another similar chance to play 2 months in a row against quality oppositions while being part of a quality team. It should also equip them to handle pressure situations better.

In terms of quality, ODI is probably the worst among Test, ODI and T20. Compared to ODIs, there's far less room to succeed while being mediocre in the highest and most basic forms of the game.
Old January 27, 2009, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
Friend. They won't get another similar chance to play 2 months in a row against quality oppositions while being part of a quality team. It should also equip them to handle pressure situations better.

In terms of quality, ODI is probably the worst among Test, ODI and T20. Compared to ODIs, there's far less room to succeed while being mediocre in the highest and most basic forms of the game.
Word for word. If T20's are going to replace anything, it'll be the ODI's.
Old January 27, 2009, 01:50 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

I'm more worried about test cricket then ODIs. The thrill of BANG BOOM cricket will definitely keep lots of folks excited and even ODIs will be considered too long for them. BD batsmen already prefer to play 20/20 in ODIs. However, test and quality cricket will probably be the biggest loser. It is what it is. Dukkho koreo luv nei.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Word for word. If T20's are going to replace anything, it'll be the ODI's.
Old January 27, 2009, 02:40 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

One can't kill another one, it can only contribute. This debate is as old as 'Juta Abishkar'. Natural resistance only. 20 can help test cricket to improve further, just like ODIs have improved the standard of test cricket. ICC went upto banning the ODIs & players with same reasons, but ultimately we have seen that it didn't kill test cricket rathar improved. We see more decisions in test cricket, better runrates & chases. So one form of cricket will never kill another format of cricket, it will only help to improve.

Bonus, the playes are getting more money, the boards are having an opportunity of making more money from 20-20 tournaments, that brings more money into cricket, so cricket is benefitted. Chartable sports don't progress in these days, it has to be economically profitable to improve a game.

So just relax and enjoy some T20 boom boom occassionally, good for mind, soul & health.
Old January 27, 2009, 10:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

I don't understand how some of you don’t want to acknowledge the valuable learning sessions they will get by either playing or being in the same dressing room from great players of IPL. Surely everyone gets to learn few tricks in a series from a great player even when they play against each other but if they play for the same team, don’t you think a great player such as Warne will have few things to teach to a fellow player (that may or may not be Shakib)?

I understand that lack of patience is like a disease for our batsmen and I do agree that 20-20 doesn’t improve the situation but I don’t think it will make it worse. In fact, our batsmen (if given the chance) may come away with valuable winning skill from very demanding 20-20 situations. Especially as a bowler, there’s no other game that’s more brutal then 20-20 and if Shak or Mash play and do well that would definitely be a self booster for the ODI’s as well.

So I guess I’m gonna have to go with IPL on this topic as we are not arguing whether they are good for the world cricket rather BD cricket and it’s cricketers.

Old January 27, 2009, 11:29 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tamim, Shakib & Rubel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehsin
ICL will not help our cricketers. What our cricketers need is more 3-4 day matches so they can work on their application. 20/20 is parar cricket with a little bit of class (depending on the quality of the player) and a lot of entertainment.
yes bro your right i agree with you
Old January 27, 2009, 11:33 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: iqbal,ishant,southee

it will teach them,
Old January 27, 2009, 04:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

I think IPL has improved the overall quality of Indian Cricket. There is no reason why it should not do the same for BD cricket as well.

I have gone through the Cons list from betaar. But the solution lies in itself. As it is evident from the ürevious season that to get selected in the playing XI,our players will have to perform when they get the slighest of chances. So, they are bound to perform and they will get kicked, if they do not play professionally. They will be playing for and against the bests of the world. This experience is sure to help them, while playing for Bangladesh.
Old January 27, 2009, 04:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

it will be a good thing if the boys play well and learn from peers
Old January 27, 2009, 05:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,Rasel,Rajjak,Rakib

amgo playerra cricketer basic e jane na abar IPL khelbo?