facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old May 16, 2013, 07:41 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default Jordan and India are among the the most racist countries in the world - a survey has found

Quote:
A fascinating map of the world’s most and least racially tolerant countries

Quote:
India, Jordan, Bangladesh and Hong Kong by far the least tolerant. In only three of 81 surveyed countries, more than 40 percent of respondents said they would not want a neighbor of a different race. This included 43.5 percent of Indians, 51.4 percent of Jordanians and an astonishingly high 71.8 percent of Hong Kongers and 71.7 percent of Bangladeshis.
Read more: Washington post >>

Old May 16, 2013, 08:11 PM
Administrator

I am not surprised. Have noticed this so much both at home and the extended version with the diaspora. C'mon we get racist at district level (Noakhailla oi, Pabnaia ei, Siloti oi), not surprising at all.
Old May 16, 2013, 08:17 PM

^^^ +1.
Old May 16, 2013, 08:17 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

we are DOOMED in another affair now
Old May 16, 2013, 08:23 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
I am not surprised. Have noticed this so much both at home and the extended version with the diaspora. C'mon we get racist at district level (Noakhailla oi, Pabnaia ei, Siloti oi), not surprising at all.
Is not that worse than racism. Hating one of your own. Lately in London we have postcode gangs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6304345.stm
Old May 16, 2013, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Those of you who are expats and have Facebook go ahead and look at your and your Deshi expat friends' pictures. You would think they all live in Bangladesh. All parties, gettogethers, outings... It's all a sea brown.
Old May 16, 2013, 09:58 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Another BS poll on Bangladesh. I wonder how they do all this survey. Just last month Pew Forum surveyed and WaPo published that 82% of Bangladeshis want Shariah Law. I really wanted to know what they were smoking? 82% is not even nearly close. 28% would be more believable. Its like they just pulled a number out of a hat.

Now another poll and we all go ye ye its true. Not saying, BD people are not racist..but can't be the most racist.

And boss, the regional sentiment (sylethi, noakhaila) isn't that strong comparing to other places. Just look at BPL and any team that had Shakib/Tamim had the most fans regardless of their background. Doesn't USA have more stereotypical attitude about north/south (yanks/rednecks)?

Maybe they made this survey by looking at Facebook pictures..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-and-4-charts/
Old May 16, 2013, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Did you read the article?
Old May 16, 2013, 10:17 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Yes. On Bangladesh --

In only three of 81 surveyed countries, more than 40 percent of respondents said they would not want a neighbor of a different race. This included 43.5 percent of Indians, 51.4 percent of Jordanians and an astonishingly high 71.8 percent of Hong Kongers and 71.7 percent of Bangladeshis.

Bangladeshis are racist in general. I am not denying that. Sometimes you hear awful remarks about blacks and other races. But I just don't agree with most racist.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:21 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: shakib al hasan

This is hard to swallow.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:26 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

If the question was

Do you want a certain neighbouring country (not naming) as your neighbour?

Majority of Bangladeshi would answer no.
Old May 17, 2013, 12:09 AM
First Class Cricketer

No doubt, our attitudes specially towards africans(not so much north africans - you can guess why) is disgusting.

But then again, you have to remember we're still fighting for half the population of this country to be considered equals, so aaro shomoy dite hobey, before we expand our horizons to the people of other countries and races.

Also this is a horrible point to make, but I don't think Bangladeshis are aware of 'political correctness' - Australians are pretty racist, but I think in the West people are now not only more genuinely enlightened but also more aware of the ramifications of what they express publicly.
Old May 17, 2013, 12:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiators
Australians are pretty racist
Not true.
Old May 17, 2013, 12:34 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

How's South Africa or Australia not blinking red? US is in good place, thanks to Cali and other normal states in the East coast and up North. Separate and you will find a different story.

http://users.humboldt.edu/mstephens/hate/hate_map.html#
Old May 17, 2013, 12:39 AM

Surveys Gone Bad - When "Yes" means "No"

… or, A Story of How a Coding C*Screw-Up Made Bangladesh One of the Least Tolerant Countries in the World. (Spoiler: It isn’t!)

Quote:
Thanks to the fact that both Max Fisher of WaPo and World Values Survey folks freely shared their sources, we can take a dive into the data that generated the map to explore thought #3 to our heart’s content.

The short answer is, yes, someone did fat finger this big time. “Yes” and “No” got swapped in the second round of the survey, which means that 28.3% of Bangladeshis said they wouldn’t want neighbors of a different race – not 71.7%.

26K Facebook likers and 2.5K Tweeters, take note.

http://sites.tufts.edu/inclusivecomm...-yes-means-no/
Old May 17, 2013, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Good find! And I take back what I said and will do kan dhore otha bosha.
Old May 17, 2013, 01:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: James Bond

Oh good... only about 1 in 3 of us are intolerant then... so much better!
Old May 17, 2013, 01:07 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by goru
Oh good... only about 1 in 3 of us are intolerant then... so much better!
Or the fact that they literally failed a multiple choice exam.

Now is this just BD or India's case too?
Old May 17, 2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Good find! And I take back what I said and will do kan dhore otha bosha.
As long as there is an objective critique and "peer-review" of sorts that is done, I'll join you ...But we all have anecdotal evidences (there, thats my bit of intellectual laziness ).
Old May 17, 2013, 01:18 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

I don't think Z is wrong though. I understand why people in a small country would be closed minded (although it's been proven wrong), but those that live in such multi-cultured countries don't have an excuse. The "fair&lovely" culture is very high among the highly educated Bangalies in the US. They all live in their own little desi-box.

Quote:
Those of you who are expats and have Facebook go ahead and look at your and your Deshi expat friends' pictures. You would think they all live in Bangladesh. All parties, gettogethers, outings... It's all a sea brown.
Old May 17, 2013, 01:19 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Honestly I'd believe the 70% number, cuz Bengalis are pretty racist. But I don't believe that we're the most or 2nd most racist nation. I'm sure the Aussies and other white countries are up there.

How many Americans would want a neighbor that was brown or black?

#OneTeam1Dream
Old May 17, 2013, 01:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
As long as there is an objective critique and "peer-review" of sorts that is done, I'll join you ...But we all have anecdotal evidences (there, thats my bit of intellectual laziness ).
True. I take full blame on my intellectual laziness. I still think we are a racist lot. Perhaps for Bangladeshis perhaps the question could have been phrased differently - for Muslims, would you want a Hindu in your neighborhood, for Bengalis - would you want a Chakma in your neighborhood, you get my drift?
Old May 17, 2013, 01:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Honestly I'd believe the 70% number, cuz Bengalis are pretty racist. But I don't believe that we're the most or 2nd most racist nation. I'm sure the Aussies and other white countries are up there.

How many Americans would want a neighbor that was brown or black?
Or a Muslim.

Just phrasing the question slightly differently you'll get a whole different answer.
Old May 17, 2013, 02:35 AM
Cricket Legend

The whole survey is BS; or at least the conclusion.

There is no way anyone is convincing me that Bangladesh is more racist than Ukraine or Belarus
Old May 17, 2013, 03:01 AM
Test Cricketer

There are lies, damn lies and statistics/surveys/IQ-tests.

One of the best examples of surveys being bunk in general is the US election time surveys. They are almost always exclusively wrong. They might be right in calling majority on a candidate who wins, but most of the time they have been horribly wrong in closeness of the race.

Other things to consider in these types of surveys:
  • Error margin and sample size.
  • Asking the same question, only translating it to a native language without considering the context or meaning of the same question to local population/culture.
  • Taking in to account the concept of racism on local population. Some people don't even understand what racism is, certainly true in bangladesh.
  • Racism awareness usually comes as a result of struggle and long standing local/country history. If the country or culture didn't face any such issue, they are less likely to understand the concept.
  • Quality of education can fill in the blanks when there is lack of first hand experience. Poor or developing countries usually have low education standard.
  • Even the definition of racism can differ from culture to culture. Depends on who says it, how he says it or in what context he says it, they definition of "nigger" can swing from person to person.
  • In case of Australia, which has a negative connotation of being a racist country (so does japan), their awareness of what constitutes as racism might also make them less likely to participate in a survey with the right information, even if the survey is anonymous.
  • Cognitive Dissonance.

Last but not least, the example of ~80% of BD people wanting a sharia law. While I don't remember the exact details of said survey, but I think I remember reading the sample size being 1000 people. Yes questions asked to 1000 people in a country of 150 million decides how rest of the country feels about sharia law. Not to mention, there is a negative connotation among religious people (which is most of BD) about saying or even thinking anything even remotely negative towards religion (islam shommonde kharap chinta korleo ghuna hobe), no surprise that people are going to say things in favor of religion, without taking in to account any implications. Also did the people who participated in said survey understand the concept of anonymous survey, most likely not.

So you have to take all these things in to consideration. Survey are not black and white, and doesn't work in all kind of questions. They usually work in certain very strict and definite questions. Questions that are up for interpretation and generalized are useless surveys.

Thats not to say that most people in Bangladesh are not racist, they are to western standard, thats most likely because of lack of education and not understanding the concept of racism.