facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 2, 2005, 11:10 AM
Street Cricketer

Default Ash should\'ve been selected for World XI squad against Australia in ODI

How many batsmen in last 4 0r 5 years have scored a match winning 100 follwing a demoralizing half century against the world champions?
It looks that Sunil Gavaskar, the chairman of selectors for World XI in Super series can never follow Bangldesh cricket although he lives very close to B'desh.
If the current form against Australia is the main criteria for slection, why not Ashraful in ODI squad?
Playing in English condition and taking apart the Australian bowlers- Mcgrath, Lee & Gillespie smashing them six and fours to all parks of the ground is a rare thing to do. But Ash did it in more than one match.

Old July 2, 2005, 11:23 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by cyberboy
How many batsmen in last 4 0r 5 years have scored a match winning 100 follwing a demoralizing half century against the world champions?
It looks that Sunil Gavaskar, the chairman of selectors for World XI in Super series can never follow Bangldesh cricket although he lives very close to B'desh.
If the current form against Australia is the main criteria for slection, why not Ashraful in ODI squad?
Playing in English condition and taking apart the Australian bowlers- Mcgrath, Lee & Gillespie smashing them six and fours to all parks of the ground is a rare thing to do. But Ash did it in more than one match.
in ur dream buddy
Old July 2, 2005, 12:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

2 innings dont get you into a World XI..... He needs to be consistant........ So maybe hope for this in the next Series or the one after that.
Old July 2, 2005, 12:56 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Rubel, Ashraful, Tamim

Quote:
Originally posted by aka
2 innings dont get you into a World XI..... He needs to be consistant........ So maybe hope for this in the next Series or the one after that.
You may be right. But it is also true that world will be deprieved of some spectacle batting from Ashraful.
Old July 2, 2005, 12:59 PM
First Class Cricketer

true..it is dream..

but that is exactly what Henry Lowson pondered in the commentary box..
Old July 2, 2005, 01:23 PM
Test Cricketer

Cyber boy..

u think too much and just dont dream in this forum dude...dont mind me plz...do try to understnd the reality...okies...
well.......do u think they will take a 20 yr old lad who just started playing gr8..and is not fully matured and is not consistent and is still learning..

they see ur experience, consistency & maturity & also ur carrer record...

Ofcourse we all would 've loved seeing any our player there but ....for now...i would say

good they dint take ash....coz if he never perfmd they would mock at us...

we shld know we still have to blast our critics.....we need to prove more...
but dont worry...coz....

Inshallah next super series some of our players will be there but for that they need to start performing now ...they need to show more perfomances...
Old July 2, 2005, 03:24 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

dont dare belittle asharaful's ability! ashraful is among the most destructive and exciting young batsmen in world cricket. players like ashraful, clarke, de villiers, bell are the future of world cricket. but that does not mean he should be chosen for the world XI. the factor that counted most against ash is his consistency. after playing 50 odd matches, he averages under 20. but give it one more year and i am sure the selectors would not even give a second thought before selecting ash in a world dream team.
Old July 2, 2005, 03:50 PM
Cricket Legend

the knocks against australia and one against england were out of the world. the whole cricket world has seen them, so it cant miss gavaskar. but just 3-4 innings dont get u in world X1. even though i think he will be a far better player from now on, the selectors had to take all prev performances into account.
Old July 2, 2005, 04:09 PM
Street Cricketer

I think U guys are not aware of this selection issue at all.
U just know Consistency ! Consistency !
Come on! the main selection criteria is the '' recent form against Aussies" !
Is Afrirdi who is chosen for ODI consistent ? in his whole career playing more than 150 matches ?

Who is dreaming here? If this is a dream then why a man like Dav Whatmore samely urged for a place for Mashrafee in ODI few months ago. Will you also call it just a dream?

Rememeber, final 11 is not yet decided. It's just a preliminary 20 man squad. Asking a place there for Ash or M'rafee doesn't mean that they will definitely play for final 11. And I know that it's not much of important either. It's just an honour for a country like us to a see a name in the priliminary squad. The honor can also boost the confidence for him and do him world of good so that he can play consistently in the future. That's what Dav Whatmore thought. Will you guys still like to call it a dream? Something that is purposed to give you a spark of honour to encourage you to play well ?

Edited on, July 2, 2005, 9:10 PM GMT, by cyberboy.
Old July 2, 2005, 04:48 PM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

Well IMO, this is a ROW team. all 9 teams besides Australia shud have representatives in the initial squad.
Old July 2, 2005, 05:17 PM
First Class Cricketer

Well Sunil knows that the ball wouldn’t hit on top of the bell and the wicket would stand still every time it happens, so until Ash know how to play sensible cricket he will not play World X1. There is no doubt his 100 against Australia and 95 against England was out of the world experience. However tell me how many lives did he get in each of the innings ? Sunil played Cricket long enough to know LUCK runs out eventually.
Old July 2, 2005, 06:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Ashraful's average is 20 in 1 day cricket. I dont think he deserves the chance even a liitle bit.
Old July 2, 2005, 06:45 PM
Cricket Legend

On recent form, you'd have to pick him.

On the ability to smack Brett Lee around the park, you'd have to pick him.

On the potential to beat Australia by himself, you'd have to pick him.

Ian Whitchurch, who thinks Ponting is happy that Ash hasnt been picked
Old July 2, 2005, 07:25 PM
Test Cricketer

Old July 2, 2005, 10:51 PM
Test Cricketer

Sunil Gavaskar does follow the Bangladesh cricket as i heard he was talking on BBC sports about the England vs Bangladesh game .
Old July 3, 2005, 05:57 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: nadif chowdhury

i agree with ian..i think ponting's happy that ash wasnt even in the first 20..:P..then again, im extremely biased against ponting..
Old July 3, 2005, 08:02 AM
Test Cricketer

should have been in the one-day only selection. The rest of them are all explosive batsmen like him. He is the only one missing out.
Old July 3, 2005, 11:30 AM
Club Cricketer

U guys are dreaming!!!
did u see the names missing from the squads??
S fleming, n astle, Y youhana, S jayasuria, y singh, R sarwan....these are just few names.

i think khaled masud could play if sangakkara is not avialiable.
Old July 3, 2005, 03:22 PM
First Class Cricketer

As much as i love ASH, he doesnt deserve to be on the top XI. One series performance doesnt make him eligable for that.

However, i would say Masrafe should have got strong consideration. He had been the only player consistent enough.
Old July 3, 2005, 11:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

I dont think Ashraful is a candidate for the job...he is in form but he is also a very inconsistent player by his own admission. With that,,, I think he should be in the Asia Vs. Africa team as long as Afrab/Mashrafee is already selected.
Old July 4, 2005, 12:56 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

Quote:
Originally posted by Dhakablues
I dont think Ashraful is a candidate for the job...he is in form but he is also a very inconsistent player by his own admission. With that,,, I think he should be in the Asia Vs. Africa team as long as Afrab/Mashrafee is already selected.
As much as Ash, Mash, Bash and Rafique all are worthy of selection into teh Asia XI, don't hold your breath, the ACC selectors still underestimate Bangladeshi players...
Old July 4, 2005, 02:22 AM
Cricket Legend

We better ask why not Mashud selected? Not Ash. 3 expolosive innings does not prove anything. out of the first 50 ODI, Afridi has much more that, It is for those whoc compare him with Afridi. In recent form check Afridi's record in last 15 ODI. By the way, Ash is far better batsman than Afridi. But he could not and should not made it. those 3 ash innigs were precede and followed by 0,0 and 7. In afridi's last five 102,44, 24,12,56 .
So judge yourself.
Old July 4, 2005, 02:25 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

khaled mashud should have been in the squad for his wicket keeping.
Old July 5, 2005, 11:51 AM
Club Cricketer

Players selected in the squad.............These are all world class player and some of the best cricketers around right now and will be remembered long time even when the are not around!!
On their day, well almost every game they run the show.
these players will get in any test or odi team in the world!!
Ashraful after four year in international cricket with a average of 20 in odi 23on test cricket would only get in zimbabuen and bangladesh team!!!

some of u saying he should get in on recent form.
as they say "Form is temporary and class is permanent"
Old July 5, 2005, 12:54 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Sakib

Ash is not there yet to be considered for World XI.