facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 8, 2012, 04:48 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don
Default Shakib: a true all-rounder

To me a true all-rounder is one who can make the team as a batsman and as a bowler. This is a rather stringent definition and many great all-rounders would not have made the cut. The nay list probably would include greats like Imran Khan (who became a truly dependable bat late in his career), Kapil Dev, and Hadlee. Sobers and Botham would qualify easily. (Sobers was special because he could bowl pace and spin.) Of the current crop, Jacques Kallis probably can make it to the SA team as either only in the ODI. (According to Bangladesh-haters, Kallis is the best all-rounder in the world, irrespective of what the ranking says.)

That leaves the #1 all-rounder Shakib, who can comfortably walk into the team either as a batsman or as a bowler in tests and ODI. I would like him to do better in T20, though.
Old August 8, 2012, 04:56 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
To me a true all-rounder is one who can make the team as a batsman and as a bowler. This is a rather stringent definition and many great all-rounders would not have made the cut. The nay list probably would include greats like Imran Khan (who became a truly dependable bat late in his career), Kapil Dev, and Hadlee. Sobers and Botham would qualify easily. (Sobers was special because he could bowl pace and spin.) Of the current crop, Jacques Kallis probably can make it to the SA team as either only in the ODI. (According to Bangladesh-haters, Kallis is the best all-rounder in the world, irrespective of what the ranking says.)

That leaves the #1 all-rounder Shakib, who can comfortably walk into the team either as a batsman or as a bowler in tests and ODI. I would like him to do better in T20, though.
If Shakib can walk into both ODI and Test team then Kallis will make it in ALL format without a shadow of a doubt.
Old August 8, 2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
If Shakib can walk into both ODI and Test team then Kallis will make it in ALL format without a shadow of a doubt.
I made my observation based on their track record in each format. You might want to look at their averages and strike rates in each format.
Old August 8, 2012, 05:02 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: every quality cricketer

Ofcourse shakib is a true allrounder, his Asia Cup performance says enough
Old August 8, 2012, 05:03 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

If you ask me to rate Shakib in comparison to all other greats, then i am afraid Shakib is still long way behind. He needs to improve his batting average to over 40 and bowling average to around 20.
Old August 8, 2012, 06:05 AM
MLC World Series I

I would definitely love to see Shakib improve his batting much more, say, average somewhere close to 40. But that being said, I'm kind of afraid as his bowling hasn't been that great off late.
Old August 8, 2012, 07:23 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Yes, I don't think there is any doubt about that. Question is, is he one of the greatest? Because we need a role model like that for the youngsters to follow.
Old August 8, 2012, 08:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
Yes, I don't think there is any doubt about that. Question is, is he one of the greatest? Because we need a role model like that for the youngsters to follow.
No he is not one of the greatest....he's got a long way to go before even considering a great. True he's ranked higher than Kallis and has done that consistently in the ODI format for a while but to be a great you need to do that in all format, with higher average. If I had to pick, I would pick Kallis over Shakib atm.
Old August 8, 2012, 09:32 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

I find Sakib the most "balanced" AR.
He is equally good with bat & ball.
Unlike some great ARs who take wickets occassionaly or score runs occassionaly .
Sakib is vital in both our bowling & batting,that's what makes him so special.
Old August 8, 2012, 09:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

Inshallah t20-teo bhalo hobe....o international career shuru korlo matro 6 bochor....aro agate din...Inshallah shamne aro bhalo hobe
Old August 8, 2012, 12:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Ek e alochona r kotto !!! Shakib is good but still a long way to go before calling him a great. He still has a lot to prove to the world. He is young so we should just wait n see.

I am little worried with his performance too.. Hope it doesn't go down from here...
Old August 8, 2012, 12:55 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: every quality cricketer

I wont say "A LONG WAY". remember, he is just 25, he has atleast 12 more cricketing years in him. Like simon bhai said, he is a balanced allrounder.

Shane watson maybe called an allrounder but his batting outshines his bowling, which IMO is ordinary. Kallis is a better bowler but he is such a class act with the bat, thus more of a Top Batsman who can bowl well, but not exceptionally.

Imran khan was more of a genuine allrounder. Though he batted so low, which was because there where other top batsman in the team, he still was a good batsman and a good bowler.

So Shakib is one player who I think is equally good in both departmants.
Old August 8, 2012, 07:21 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

ok looking at stats shakib is one of the greatest, all he has to do to be a great at the end of his career is improve or stay as consistent as he is. kallis is one of the greatest and shakib is always battling him for the #1 allrounder spot.

now as already said most great allrounders are batting allrounders (sobers, kallis) or bowling allrounders (hadlee) especially in test cricket, you also have the kapil devs and ian bothams. shakib is kind of inbetween if you look at his stats because his batting average even in tests is around 35, bowling average is 31 in tests and 28 in ODIs. so his batting seems a bit better than the bothams and devs but bowling seems on par or possibly even slightly better.

however, there is a difference with shakib, most great allrounders a pacers. shakib is one of the few genuine spin allrounders, sure there are a lot of spinners who can hold a bat but not many reach allrounder status.

no doubt shakib is a great ODI allrounder, he's on his way in tests clearly being that he averages close to 35, bats in the top 6 and has is a frontline strike bowler with great wicket-taking ability (proven by the 4fers and 5fers he's got in the tests he's played).
Old August 9, 2012, 12:40 AM

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

Seems like we are running out of idea for opening new thread

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old August 10, 2012, 02:53 PM
Cricket Guru

Shakib has a long way to go to even in Kallis's caliber, mainly with the bat, but he's on the right trek. Though I'd say Shakib's bowling average is quite well, considering the time he is playing cricket in where batsmen have a lot more advantages.
Old August 10, 2012, 03:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Abul

Personally I think we shouldn't compare pace allrounders with spinning allrounders (Test match should only apply while comparing greats)

Check out these records of some greatest spinning all rounders and Shakib is right up there

Aubrey Faulkner
Vinoo Mankad
Wilfred Rhodes
Frank Woolley
Old August 10, 2012, 06:11 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohli_Sox
Personally I think we shouldn't compare pace allrounders with spinning allrounders (Test match should only apply while comparing greats)

Check out these records of some greatest spinning all rounders and Shakib is right up there

Aubrey Faulkner
Vinoo Mankad
Wilfred Rhodes
Frank Woolley
yep true, shakib is one of the best spin allrounders, at least if he keeps this up he will be in tests, he's already there in ODIs imo.

Last edited by Gowza; August 10, 2012 at 06:47 PM..
Old August 10, 2012, 06:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib, Mashrafi, Mushfiq

How can we say him great so early, he is a very good all rounder but this is not the time to call him great. Though he is number #1 with his nice performance, he has to go long way more. He is probably a alrounder a little better than Flintof.
Old August 10, 2012, 06:48 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshimon
How can we say him great so early, he is a very good all rounder but this is not the time to call him great. Though he is number #1 with his nice performance, he has to go long way more. He is probably a alrounder a little better than Flintof.
can't call him great in tests yet, maybe in one-dayers, 120 odd matches is a lot though i know they play so many more these days.
Old August 12, 2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
can't call him great in tests yet, maybe in one-dayers, 120 odd matches is a lot though i know they play so many more these days.
Shakib is an excellent all-rounder, but the time to call him great is not here yet. If he remains healthy and retains his hunger, he would be an all-time great in all formats, despite the relatively small number of tests. Just my humble 2 cents.
Old August 12, 2012, 11:50 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
Shakib is an excellent all-rounder, but the time to call him great is not here yet. If he remains healthy and retains his hunger, he would be an all-time great in all formats, despite the relatively small number of tests. Just my humble 2 cents.
I do agree somewhat but what he has achieved in the one-day game thus far is a rare feat. Just recently I was discussing the same about steyn but from your POV so I totally understand what you're saying.
Old August 10, 2012, 07:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshimon
Yeah Shakib is still not 1 of those greats but he is a much much better AR than Flintof.. He is a much balanced AR..

The point is we should stop discussing whether Shakib is 1 of the greats as he is only half way through his career.. Let him flourish.. He has already achieved a lot which many AR would just dream for.. Let's appreciate that and encourage him to do even better..
Old August 10, 2012, 07:46 PM
Cricket Guru

yeah flintoff was a good bowler at times, but i'd never say he was a top 6 batsman, certainly not for a strong side, shakib on the other hand i'd rate much more highly as a batsman than flintoff, he can bat top 6 and make it just as a batsman, quality bowler to.
Old August 10, 2012, 08:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
yeah flintoff was a good bowler at times, but i'd never say he was a top 6 batsman, certainly not for a strong side, shakib on the other hand i'd rate much more highly as a batsman than flintoff, he can bat top 6 and make it just as a batsman, quality bowler to.
exactomo
Old August 10, 2012, 09:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

He's the current World No.1 All-rounder. Of course he's the best. Enough said!