facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 18, 2005, 02:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Default BD-A Batting

I just noticed that BD-A played exactly the same number of overs in each innings in the first Test: 70.3! Thats not all that great. I think one of the things that the BD batsmen need to aim to do in the remaining matches is to try to bat atleast a 100 overs. I know that the coach has been trying to get the lower order batsmen to stop playing airy shots, but even our top order need to occupy the crease for longer than they have. This is an ideal tour for the upcoming batsmen to learn to play long innings.

Old February 18, 2005, 04:06 AM
BC Editorial Team

Default but what did Richard say about the pitch :)

It was a very seamer-friendly track where even set batsmen could be undone by an unplayable delivery. When you get a bowler friendly track you just make sure your bowlers get them more cheaply than theirs yours, which we managed to and thereby win. It is also my experience that in such conditions, most of your batsmen will fail and one will get stuck and score a big chunk of your runs. Raqibul did that in our first innings. I'd say lets see if by the end of this tour we are still lasting under 90 overs - then I'd be concerned. Afterall, for many of these players it's their first time in Zim right? Let em learn my man
Old February 18, 2005, 07:24 AM
Street Cricketer

I agree with razabq. However, there is a distinct inability of the current team to play long innings. Bashar is a case-in-point, he has the attributes to play test cricket but never really kicks on score the big scores, always playing big, often rash, shots. The recent 97 against Zim was evidence of that, where he could have easily gone to score 150+, batting track & rubbish bowling from Zim. Rajin and Aftab have the attributes but not yet the maturity, which will come with time. These two will be the future of B'deshi batting, the deSilva & Ranatunga of B'desh!!!
Old February 18, 2005, 08:39 AM
Test Cricketer

I agree with Sham. Our batsmen should try to occupy the crease longer.
Old February 18, 2005, 11:57 AM
ODI Cricketer

Well, I would say, thy way BD-A batted is infact a good sign. They scored around 250 on both innings and played 70.3 overs, thats actually shows that they are consistant in both inniings. I would prefer this rather than playing 100 overs in one innings than 45 overs in another innings.

Keeping the current performance if they can gradually improve that will be just fine enough.
Old February 18, 2005, 12:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Yeah it sure beats playing 100 overs in one and 45 in the next! But the point is to grudually improve their performance and this is one area that they can target: playing more overs. Razab, especially because the pitch is bowler friendly, I think it is important to set targets to occupy the crease for as long as possible rather than to target to score a certain amount of runs. On seamer friendly pitches, batsmen need to be doubly patient because you really have to wait for the bad balls (half-volleys). On flat tracks you can confidently hit on the up, but on seaming pitches, you wouldn't want to do that for fear of knicking to keeper/slips. So its important to leave as much as possible and play patiently, wait for the bad balls. I think this is the ideal setting for them to learn to play like that. Of course, if they get unplayable deliveries, you can't hold that against them. I am just saying that since they played 70.3 overs in each innings of the last match, one of their targets should be to improve on that! So letting them learn is all I am talking about.
Old February 18, 2005, 02:10 PM
BC Editorial Team

Sham, with your clarification, I'm 100% in agreement with you. Indeed we debate towards the same conclusions

BTW, A in A-level Physics? Et tu Brutus? kon shal? Mine was in 1991.
Old February 18, 2005, 09:11 PM
Cricket Legend

I wish my friend! I got an A in O' Level Physics and didn't take anymore Physics. Did Economics at undergrad and currently doing Law!