facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old August 18, 2006, 07:49 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza
Default Bangladesh offers troops for Lebanon

U.N. gets 3,500 troops for Mideast force

By EDITH M. LEDERER Associated Press Writer
© 2006 The Associated Press

Aug. 17, 2006, 9:02PM

UNITED NATIONS — The United Nations got pledges Thursday of 3,500 troops for an expanded U.N. peacekeeping force in Lebanon, but it was unclear whether the soldiers represented the right mix of countries and units and could deploy very quickly.

Bangladesh made the largest offer of up to 2,000 troops but France offered just 400, a disappointment to some who expected more from the country likely to lead the force.

Deputy Secretary-General Mark Malloch Brown told a meeting of nearly 50 potential troop contributing countries that at least 3,500 new troops are needed in south Lebanon within 10 days to expand the 2,000-strong U.N. force trying to help maintain an uneasy truce between Israel and Hezbollah militants.

"We have it in quantitative terms," he told reporters after the three-hour closed-door meeting. "But the issue is ... which battalions can we get there in the timeline required? Are they the right battalions with the right skills and equipment, and do they represent a multilateral enough group of countries?"
"The show is on the road, we are in business _ but a lot of work to be done in the coming days to meet the deadline," he said.
"Every moment we delay is a moment of risk that the fighting could re-erupt," he told the meeting.

According to U.N. diplomats, Bangladesh pledged two mechanized battalions, Indonesia pledges one mechanized battalion and an engineering company, Malaysia pledged one mechanized battalion and Nepal pledged one mechanized infantry battalion.

Battalions range from 600 to 1,000 soldiers, depending on the country. Yahya Mahmassani, the Arab League's envoy to the United Nations, said he had been officially informed that Bangladesh would contribute two battalions, totaling between 1,600 and 2,000 troops.

Britain's U.N. Ambassador Emyr Jones Parry announced a "quite substantial" maritime and aviation commitment of 6 Jaguar aircraft, 2 AWACS surveillance planes, and one naval frigate. Britain also offered one of its base in Cyprus as a staging point, he said.

Germany's U.N. Ambassador Thomas Matussek said he offered "a rather substantive maritime component which is so encompassing that it could patrol and secure the whole of the Lebanese coast to make sure that weapons or other related materials don't get into Lebanon." Germany also offered customs agents, police and border protection agents to patrol the Syrian border, he said.

Denmark pledged two ships for maritime patrol and many other countries said they would study the operational plans for the force and the draft rules of engagement before making any decisions, including Italy, Spain, Egypt, Belgium and Morocco, U.N. diplomats said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the meeting was closed.

U.S. Assistant Secretary of State David Welch, who is in charge of the Mideast bureau, said that the United States does not plan to participate in the force. "Our history in Lebanon has not been a happy one," he said this week.

The U.N. resolution that led to Monday's cease-fire between Israel and Hezbollah after a 34-day war authorized up to 15,000 U.N. peacekeepers to help 15,000 Lebanese troops extend their authority throughout south Lebanon, which Hezbollah controls, as Israeli troops withdraw. The aim is to create a buffer zone free of Hezbollah fighters between the Litani River and the U.N.-drawn border, about 18 miles to the south.

Malloch Brown said the draft rules of engagement call for the use of force to prevent hostile activities in the buffer zone and to resist attempts to prevent the U.N. force, known as UNIFIL, from discharging its duties. The rules also allow UNIFIL to use force in assisting the Lebanese government if asked to secure its borders to prevent foreign forces, weapons and ammunition from entering the country, he said.
France and Italy said earlier Thursday that the peacekeeping mandate is not explicit enough, and demanded the U.N. set clear rules of engagement for troops that would bolster the force.

A key concern is whether the force will be called on to disarm Hezbollah fighters, as called for in a September 2004 U.N. resolution.
"The role of this force is not large-scale disarmament of Hezbollah, but rather policing a political agreement where the Lebanese government and Hezbollah have agreed to disarm," Malloch Brown said.
Some potential contributors are believed to be concerned about avoiding confrontation with Hezbollah or being caught in the middle of a future conflict.
Germany said it wouldn't send any but is expected to provide logistical support.
Before the meeting, French President Jacques Chirac announced that France will immediately double its 200-strong contingent already in the U.N. force to 400. The announcement said Chirac told U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan in a phone call that France is prepared to command the strengthened force until February.
"We were disappointed," Malloch Brown said. "We had hoped France would be able to do more."

Italy has said it could quickly send as many as 3,000 soldiers _ up from its current contribution of about 50 _ but Italian Prime Minister Romano Prodi's office said that he was pushing for explicit ground rules.

Source: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...d/4125140.html

So France, who everyone was depending on will now send only 400 troops? And they expect to 'command' the "strengthened force"? Is that a joke or what!

Glad to see Bangladesh leading in its contributions to world peace, as always. Something we can be proud about our small nation.

Old August 18, 2006, 07:56 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

US urges Bangladesh to send peacekeepers to Lebanon
By BDNEWS, Dhaka
Thu, 17 Aug 2006, 10:28:00

The USA has requested Bangladesh to contribute peacekeepers in war-ravaged Lebanon.

"They (USA) have told us. We are discussing the matter. We are taking a positive line and now monitoring the UN terms of reference for deployment troops," Foreign Minister M Morshed Khan told journalists Thursday.

However, since the Terms of Reference for the deployment is yet to be decided, Bangladesh is now evaluating UN Security Council mandate.

"It is yet to be decided whether the peacekeepers would keep peace or restore peace or it would be an extension of the UNIFIL," Khan said.

The UN Security Council unanimously adopted a resolution on Friday calling for immediate stoppage to all hostilities and a series of steps leading to a permanent ceasefire.

This will be done by creating a new buffer zone in south Lebanon free of any armed personnel, assets and weapons other than those of the government of Lebanon and the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL).

Khan said he believed that the responsibility of the peacekeepers would not be disarming the Hizbullah.

In reply to a question, the Foreign Minister said the security and safety of the Bangladeshi soldiers would be the main concern before taking a decision.

The UNIFIL, deployed in 1978, now has 2,000 troops. The UNSC resolution will expand it to a maximum 15,000 troops.

Bangladesh has been operating as blue helmet peacekeepers under the UN peacekeeping missions as largest contributor right now with nearly 11,000 peacekeepers.

On sending peacekeepers, Dhaka's official position is that it never sends troops anywhere without UN mandate. On similar ground, Dhaka was unwilling to send its troops to Iraq.

Bangladesh has so far completed 22 missions in 14 countries around the world. A total of 42,037 peacekeepers have so far completed their services in those missions.

© Copyright 2003 by The New Nation

http://nation.ittefaq.com/artman/pub...le_30042.shtml
Old August 18, 2006, 08:22 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

good job I wish while peace keeping they can shoot on or two u know who..
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old August 18, 2006, 11:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

my dad went to iraq- kuwait on Un peace mission. after then he retired from army. then couple years later my dads coursemate went to peace mission again. my mom was pissed at my dad for quittin army. now some of my dad's friends are goin again. u shld hav seen the look at my mom's face.
Old August 18, 2006, 11:37 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
good job I wish while peace keeping they can shoot on or two u know who..
I wonder what is exactly expected of them, but the real peace would not prevail until the Lebanese Army could themselves stop israel and also gains the respect of all Lebanese.

It is a good chance for BD to show we are not all about corruption and political mud slinging, we are a nation of honour too, you know and righteous peacekeepers.

Hope BD soldiers keep up their reputation they have gained thus far .
Old August 19, 2006, 12:25 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
my dad went to iraq- kuwait on Un peace mission. after then he retired from army. then couple years later my dads coursemate went to peace mission again. my mom was pissed at my dad for quittin army. now some of my dad's friends are goin again. u shld hav seen the look at my mom's face.
lol your mom was pissed because he 'quit' the Army?

My dulabhai went to Bosnia right after marrying my sister, and you can't imagine how pissed and upset she was.
Old August 19, 2006, 12:51 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

BD has always bn known as a great pipeline for soldiers in the UN peacekeeping force. not only it brings a huge sum of extra earning those those involved, it also brings a good foreign currency and remitance as well.

sorry, an off topic, thought wud share with you guys.
Our company deals with all the mobilisation and transportation of UN military equipments around the country. so last time when i went home on uni break ( Jan 06), my dad took me to the Army Headquarters on a meeting ( as a observer basically, as im yet to be involved with the business) with the Army Personnel dealing with the BD operation of UN and its assignments. It was pretty cool meeting all those top ranked Major and Colonels ( sorry i dont know how they r ranked up, saw my dad had a diary with all the signs and what they means, cuz he didnt wanna call the wrong rank and unintentionally offend them).

After the meeting, we went to this other place where Army keeps all thier equipments those were meant to go with the consignment.

it was really a good experience for me. i was particularly impressed with the professionalism and english ability of the Army Personnel. really goes to show why Army gets the best people from the country.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old August 19, 2006, 01:19 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Glad to know you got a good impression of BD Army. Thanks to having a army officer dulabhai I had a pretty good view at them, how they train, operate, etc. It's hard work, but I can see why they enjoy doing it. I spent considerable amount of time at Syedpur cantonment, BMA (Ctg), Mymensingh Cantonment, Army Staff College (Dhaka), etc - it was a great experience.
Old August 19, 2006, 05:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed

So France, who everyone was depending on will now send only 400 troops? And they expect to 'command' the "strengthened force"? Is that a joke or what!
Actually its better to limit Frances involvement in the region.

Western soldiers aren't very popular in Arab soil. Besides no one in Lebanon sees France as saviour and France hasnt gone past the reputation of ex-colonial master.
Old August 19, 2006, 05:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Nijerder deshe shanti nai, ar lebanone gia shanti rakhte jaitase.
Old August 20, 2006, 04:26 AM
ODI Cricketer

Maj khan diye...kisui taka poisha kamano jaba.....
Old August 20, 2006, 08:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Why sending peace keeping force in Lebanon now? After breaking the peace in a country, after damaging all of its resources? Idiot world leadres. This reminds me one proverb- গরু মেরে জুতো দান

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old August 21, 2006, 01:52 AM
Cricket Legend

What more, Olmert doenst like peace soldiers from countries that dont have diplomatic relations.
Old August 21, 2006, 11:01 AM
Club Cricketer

Normally, it makes me happy to see our troops in UN missions, but this one is particularly dangerous because of Israel's history of using UN compounds for target practice.
Old August 21, 2006, 11:21 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Ok! Now any attack on the peacekeeping force would be viewed as an aggression towards those countries. If it happens, (90% sure it will) can it be technically said, "we are at war with Israel"?
Old August 21, 2006, 11:22 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous
Normally, it makes me happy to see our troops in UN missions, but this one is particularly dangerous because of Israel's history of using UN compounds for target practice.
do not worry if they target BD soldiers ( that is if BD sends troops ultimately ), then our soldiers would see red in their eyes and the isreali soldiers would look like red coats to them ... you know what happens afterwards ...

by the if they do go their, here is a song they could remember :

Durgomo giri kantar moru dusthoro parabar o he ...
Old August 21, 2006, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Ok! Now any attack on the peacekeeping force would be viewed as an aggression towards those countries. If it happens, (90% sure it will) can it be technically said, "we are at war with Israel"?
Not true. Bangladeshi blue helmets were attacked and killed in Congo in January 2005. Bangladeshi troops in South Sudan (in which my cousin was serving) was attacked in May 2006. In either case it is a loss for the contributing army but an attack only on the UN. Peacekeeping has evolved into peace-enforcement now, and our troops have also geared themselves to facing bullets and responding with bullets. Which is one reason why Bangladesh Army officers do not see UN peacekeeping missions AS grandly as they did in 1996-97 when there was less risk of coming under fire. Its equally in this context that Foreign Minister Morshed Khan has stated very recently that of paramount importance in the upcoming Lebanon mission is the role (mandate) of Bangladesh Army in peacekeeping, their well-being, and their capabilities of enforcing the mandate.
Old August 21, 2006, 06:16 PM
Cricket Legend

This ceasefire is a pre planned. Bush administration planned it like this- when you (Israel) have finished killing people in Lebanon then let me know, I will put up a ceasefire proposal for you. What a joke! You kill people and then when its important to stop the fighting you use your veto power to give the chance to Israel. And when your friend finished eating human flesh then you call for a ceasefire! অসভ্য জানোয়ার।

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ