facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old December 14, 2010, 06:54 PM
Cricket Savant

Default Are you a millionaire?

Rumor has it layperson is a millionaire, Nasif banks 300k annually and cricman is on welfare and food stamps. Well now this thread can put end to all rumors.

Sure there are many on BC with stellar, intellectual achievements but as it has been shouted over and over in various articles higher degrees like phd or masters doesn't automatically correlate to higher earnings. For a reliable source I can cite this one from Wall Street Journal; and there are plenty more. One of the reason simply being, people who pursue higher degrees end up working as researchers or professors. Of course there are exceptions.

In America, many exceptionally creative people drop out of college and fares up doing well and becomes millionaire. (of course there are exceptions). For me earning million dollar will NOT automatically bring happiness. It also doesn't show intellectual depth. But just like many others I am obsessed with this 7-figure benchmark simply because:

• it's more like an e-penis than the actual sum;
  • it shows the rarity of the individual and how someone stands out from the crowd; only exceptionally creative people reach this milestone and creativity cannot be taught or bought at school or other institutions
  • the whole Drake/Eminem induced rags-to-riches aphrodisiac: where college dropout artists literally made it overnight and shows that it can be done by anyone who has the desire and motivation
  • more honeys (for a young person like me that means a lot)
Days back iDumb muttered something similar (what do you know stopped clock is right twice a day :P ). While I disagree with him on the fact that money is everything; however, I do agree that college drains many hours of your life from your own personal goals not only sucking out the creativity from you leaving you mindless automaton and part of the sheep sometimes making you end as number crunchers in cubicles but also leaving fatigued and mentally unhappy. People say "oh oh sure I am laboring my butts off now but once I get my day job of 60-70k I will be so much happy." Bullshit. You will still end up as a slave working for other boss or corporation and then you will probably concoct some other excuse like "oh I will be happy once I get my annual bonus for that trip in Maui." Point being no matter where you will be you will end stressed if you are not the one in control of your life.

So I ask you, what is the largest sum you had in bank at a given time? As for me, I had 5K and that doesn't "count" because majority of that came from parents. However, when I had a 9-5 job I couldn't get past 2k. But I know in addition to intellectual stalwarts in BC, there are many rich people on this site. Wanna brag? You came to the right place.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles

Old December 14, 2010, 10:51 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Doesn't matter - because almost all of my salary goes to rent/loan payment/car payment/insurance/credit cards payment/grocery/gas/etc. etc. etc.

In exchange of that, I get to brag about having covered a majority of my undergrad, and all of my grad tuition, as an international student (over 3x domestic tuition...over $160k) - all by flipping burgers and working 5 part-time jobs...and absolutely on time (except 6 months delay in grad). I also get to brag about getting married without giving my parents any trouble (financially), arranging for everything by my own, and currently having a very comfortable/upscale living in Toronto of my own...and driving a dream car (that I didn't think was possible for me even 1 year ago).

I'm not close to what I want to be, but Alhamdulillah I'm on my way. Just about 3 years ago I was going through the worst time of my life, and Allah has put things in its own place - I just kept trying tirelessly. All I have for those who are not in the ideal situation in life is - keep working towards what you want to be, and it will work out for you today or tomorrow or even 2/3 years later.

A few days ago I opened a thread for thanking Allah for one of the latest things that He has given me. May be you can make the connection here.
Old December 14, 2010, 10:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

you know zeeshan people don't think in millions anymore they think in billions.

Kids on this forum: Learn programming and take over this world.....
Old December 14, 2010, 10:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Doesn't matter - because almost all of my salary goes to rent/loan payment/car payment/insurance/credit cards payment/grocery/gas/etc. etc. etc.

In exchange of that, I get to brag about having covered a majority of my undergrad, and all of my grad tuition, as an international student (over 3x domestic tuition...over $160k) - all by flipping burgers and working 5 part-time jobs...and absolutely on time (except 6 months delay in grad). I also get to brag about getting married without giving my parents any trouble (financially), arranging for everything by my own, and currently having a very comfortable/upscale living in Toronto of my own...and driving a dream car (that I didn't think was possible for me even 1 year ago).

I'm not close to what I want to be, but Alhamdulillah I'm on my way. Just about 3 years ago I was going through the worst time of my life, and Allah has put things in its own place - I just kept trying tirelessly. All I have for those who are not in the ideal situation in life is - keep working towards what you want to be, and it will work out for you today or tomorrow or even 2/3 years later.

A few days ago I opened a thread for thanking Allah for one of the latest things that He has given me. May be you can make the connection here.
First of all congrats. Also great work. I cant imagine pulling that off. 160k
What did you study in school? What kind of job do you have now? Sorry if its too personal.
Old December 14, 2010, 10:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

In exchange of that, I get to brag about having covered a majority of my undergrad, and all of my grad tuition, as an international student (over 3x domestic tuition...over $160k) - all by flipping burgers and working 5 part-time jobs...and absolutely on time (except 6 months delay in grad).
why are you bragging? No offense but I think you are a hard working idiot. You could have stayed home and made the next facebook. Who told you that you needed education of 170K to get a decent job so you can have a "dream car" and an "upscale apartment"?
Old December 14, 2010, 10:57 PM
Cricket Guru

Reading back to the questions by Z, I think my post was quite off-topic.

I'm still confused - but if you're trying to make a connection between education and how well it has paid off - I think it paid off 100% in my case. Whatever job I am doing today is a result of my education and the amount of work I have put into it. I am the youngest member of my team, so is my wife. We have always maintained that our education will pay us in the long run - so far it has, Alhamdulillah.
Old December 14, 2010, 11:00 PM
Cricket Legend

I made 40K in one year without flipping a single burger and w/o a job. Wha'ts your point?
Old December 14, 2010, 11:01 PM
Cricket Savant

Bhai all I want to know is who are the top ten richest people on this site for me to add them on my facebook. Times are hard; but connections don't have to be. For instance bancan already agreed to shelter me in his garage when I go to visit Canada....

...for a year.

Old December 14, 2010, 11:04 PM
Cricket Legend

why not make friends the top ten most beautiful people on this site. It will do you more good than befriending "rich" ppl
Old December 14, 2010, 11:12 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

I'm a billionaire.
Old December 14, 2010, 11:17 PM
Cricket Savant

Orpheus open up a facebook so that I can add you.
(re: post #7)

Old December 14, 2010, 11:19 PM
Cricket Savant

By the way, Kabir bhai is really the poster boy of BC. He is rich, has a nice car (if I may divulge), has a lovely bhabi (and I mean it in the nicest way possible), has over 10k posts, has fine sense of humor, well traveled. Kabir bhai is my hero.

Old December 15, 2010, 06:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
By the way, Kabir bhai is really the poster boy of BC. He is rich, has a nice car (if I may divulge), has a lovely bhabi (and I mean it in the nicest way possible), has over 10k posts, has fine sense of humor, well traveled. Kabir bhai is my hero.
All of a sudden I am actually very interested to know what he does. I probably pissed him off in how I wrote some of my message lol. I don't know any education that pay a lot.

Besides professional degree, the sector with high pay are IT and Finance. STARTING salary for those two fields can be >80K. Personally, I think that's the money needed to just survive in a city per person. But financially doesn't make sense to go to 200K in debt for it.

Maybe some of the people reading this from a different country may be thinking I am being fictitious but I am really not...

Last edited by iDumb; December 15, 2010 at 06:52 AM..
Old December 15, 2010, 06:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntu
I'm a billionaire.
I doubt there are any bangali billionaires. Maybe some of our crooked politician might be but we will never know
Old December 15, 2010, 06:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I am the youngest member of my team, so is my wife. We have always maintained that our education will pay us in the long run - so far it has, Alhamdulillah.
I am gonna vouch for higher education is a mistake in this thread as well.

Kabir bhai, honestly speaking, there is a deep down respect I have for you because you've achieved something that most people can't dream of or is not capable of doing. Paying off that much loans doing tough work.

I wanna convince you that there are better ways than education to have a better living. You are well of right now because you are surviving on a COMBINED salary. Take only yours and then you come to this forum and tell us if it is possible to live like the way you are right now solely on that (assuming 160K is in loans not paid off because 99% of the ppl won't be able to pay that much money while in college).

Prove me wrong.

Now take an alternate route: take that 160K throw it in the market last couple of years - triple it.. take it out and open up a business! Sure this scenario needs a lot of luck and back to back successes (but you've A personality, you should be successful no matter where you go). And then do the calculation and tell me which would pay higher, better and give you more independence. Many paths can lead to successes... just because you took one path to success doesn't mean that is THE path.. there are probably (in fact there is) shorter and better path.

Last edited by iDumb; December 15, 2010 at 07:05 AM..
Old December 15, 2010, 07:10 AM
Cricket Legend

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/12/wo...12beijing.html
this is what happens when everyone goes to college

Quote:
In a kind of cruel reversal, China’s old migrant class — uneducated villagers who flocked to factory towns to make goods for export — are now in high demand, with spot labor shortages and tighter government oversight driving up blue-collar wages.

But the supply of those trained in accounting, finance and computer programming now seems limitless, and their value has plunged. Between 2003 and 2009, the average starting salary for migrant laborers grew by nearly 80 percent; during the same period, starting pay for college graduates stayed the same, although their wages actually decreased if inflation is taken into account.
I am gonna provide support for my arguments now instead of just spewing out "garbage". I actually thought about this more than it seems from my posts.
Old December 15, 2010, 07:35 AM
Forever Bangy

I start off with around $80K next year and hope to become a millionaire within 15 years. Sooner, if I marry correctly.
Old December 15, 2010, 07:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona
I start off with around $80K next year and hope to become a millionaire within 15 years. Sooner, if I marry correctly.
now this is a smart person. Marriage is an investment. Shuno bio-data te dekhba koita high rise apartment own kore, koita business ache and chokh bondo koira bolba kobul. Then after 3 years, jodi mone koro ekta ahammok ke biya korcho... ekta bait diba... like tomar meye friends diye..... If he falls for it... divorce and take all his money and then run away with your lesbian friend.

15 years lagbe na.

Congrats on next year.
Old December 15, 2010, 08:05 AM
Forever Bangy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
now this is a smart person. Marriage is an investment. Shuno bio-data te dekhba koita high rise apartment own kore, koita business ache and chokh bondo koira bolba kobul. Then after 3 years, jodi mone koro ekta ahammok ke biya korcho... ekta bait diba... like tomar meye friends diye..... If he falls for it... divorce and take all his money and then run away with your lesbian friend.
Exactly. When you are destined to marry to please your parents and thus doomed anyway, may as well get something out of it. But it's a little disconcerting that you know pretty much the full extent of my plan. I hope my potential prey will be more unsuspecting

And thanks!
Old December 15, 2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona
Exactly. When you are destined to marry to please your parents and thus doomed anyway, may as well get something out of it. But it's a little disconcerting that you know pretty much the full extent of my plan. I hope my potential prey will be more unsuspecting
Easy, find a rich bangladeshi kid who's dropped out of college, and entice him in with the prospect of getting 'Developed Country' citizenship in return. You'll find them fobs around major cities in your country, most possibly Khulshi-dwelling Chatgaiyas, driving around BMW Z4s, and at nightclubs where entry is $50+!

caveat: They'll probably be expecting you to 'return' to Chittagong, don the glittery shiny hijab as a housewife (note the term, its not homemaker), while hubby looks after daddy's zillion dollar trading empire.
Old December 15, 2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
Easy, find a rich bangladeshi kid who's dropped out of college, and entice him in with the prospect of getting 'Developed Country' citizenship in return. You'll find them fobs around major cities in your country, most possibly Khulshi-dwelling Chatgaiyas, driving around BMW Z4s, and at nightclubs where entry is $50+!

caveat: They'll probably be expecting you to 'return' to Chittagong, don the glittery shiny hijab as a housewife (note the term, its not homemaker), while hubby looks after daddy's zillion dollar trading empire.
Are you reading this, iDumb, you piece of trash? You're a sad excuse for a Sitainga fua! You're not even in the right country!

To mona: Yes, they're exclusive to your country of residence.
Old December 15, 2010, 09:38 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
why are you bragging? No offense but I think you are a hard working idiot. You could have stayed home and made the next facebook. Who told you that you needed education of 170K to get a decent job so you can have a "dream car" and an "upscale apartment"?
Could have, or would have, or may not have. We don't know. Personally, I think the ones talking about the next facebook are the big heads because if everyone was able to make something as revolutionary as facebook, then the world would have been much more different today.

There are people who make enough money without education, with a line of trade that doesn't even match their line of education, and with proper education in the same area of trade that s/he is in. I happen to be the last one - you got any problem with that?
Old December 15, 2010, 10:34 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Reading back to the questions by Z, I think my post was quite off-topic.

I'm still confused - but if you're trying to make a connection between education and how well it has paid off - I think it paid off 100% in my case. Whatever job I am doing today is a result of my education and the amount of work I have put into it. I am the youngest member of my team, so is my wife. We have always maintained that our education will pay us in the long run - so far it has, Alhamdulillah.
That was my original post...

Quote:
I am gonna vouch for higher education is a mistake in this thread as well.

Kabir bhai, honestly speaking, there is a deep down respect I have for you because you've achieved something that most people can't dream of or is not capable of doing. Paying off that much loans doing tough work.
I didn't pay off the whole thing. A small portion is left.

Quote:
I wanna convince you that there are better ways than education to have a better living. You are well of right now because you are surviving on a COMBINED salary. Take only yours and then you come to this forum and tell us if it is possible to live like the way you are right now solely on that (assuming 160K is in loans not paid off because 99% of the ppl won't be able to pay that much money while in college).
There may be "other" ways than education, but not better. I don't mean to say that education is the best way to do it. It's one of the ways to do it. In my case, I knew that I couldn't be the next facebook inventor, and I'm not the next Newton. Mathematically, there's far less facebook inventors and Newtons in the world as compared to people who made a good living through proper education.

As for myself and my wife - each of our salary is way above the average combined household income in Canada. We have been living on my income only since 2.5 years, until she returned to work recently after a very low part in our lives.

As for $160k, more than 3/4th of it has been paid off. Half of it was paid off when I was in school, while flipping burgers and working 5 part-time jobs.

Quote:
Prove me wrong.
Just did.

Quote:
Now take an alternate route: take that 160K throw it in the market last couple of years - triple it.. take it out and open up a business!
I have to admit - that was probably the stupidest thing I have heard from someone who I thought was getting good education. We all wish if we had $10k in our bank we would have been able to do so much more - but saving up that $10k is not the easiest thing in the world.

Quote:
Sure this scenario needs a lot of luck and back to back successes (but you've A personality, you should be successful no matter where you go). And then do the calculation and tell me which would pay higher, better and give you more independence. Many paths can lead to successes... just because you took one path to success doesn't mean that is THE path.. there are probably (in fact there is) shorter and better path.
Yes, it does require a lot of luck. And no, I don't have a business mindset. I hardly understand finance - I only do my calculations based on what's coming into my account every 15 days, and what's going out.

Problem is, you jump into a conversation without reading things properly, and soon you start making a fool out of yourself. I have copied my original post here - read it and check it where I claimed that education is the ONLY way to do it? I said, it worked for me, and I'm glad because I have always maintained that if I had to do something in life, I had to get proper education.
Old December 15, 2010, 10:43 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Kala Mia(My dada)

I won lotto which worth £13,000,000.00.
Old December 15, 2010, 11:10 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
First of all congrats. Also great work. I cant imagine pulling that off. 160k
What did you study in school? What kind of job do you have now? Sorry if its too personal.
Thanks. It was IT in undergrad, and IS in grad. Working in the capacity of a Business Analyst.