facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 11, 2013, 06:19 PM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Saqlain Sajib 217 FC wickets @ Marshallesque 20.96. Will take the 3rd spinners spot in Tests MMW.

Old November 11, 2013, 11:27 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Not just Ian - there wasn't necessarily hype but much interest and hope when he first started. It wasn't after a few years when he fell in love with his own good looks and used up most of his brain cells to grunt during bowling that he fell off the hype wagon.

But the ultimate one man hype still goes to Zunaed Siddiqi. And the all powerful hype that destroyed him is just a search away. (Aside: bro, you know who you are, and I keed).
I still feel Junaid Siddique is under-rated. In terms of average he is the most successful number 3 Test batsman Bangladesh has ever had; he averages more than Bashar when batting at 3. Furthermore he figures four times in the top 13 Test partnerships by Bangladesh; three of those were with Tamim: 146, 161 and 200 (http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...d=25;type=team).
His problem was that he was awful in ODIs (but surprisingly more than decent in T20s). But the selectors kept picking him for the ODIs and when he failed in those he was dropped from the Test Team. If he was left alone to concentrate on Tests and develop his Test batting he could have been a huge asset to the team given the problems we've had in that troublesome number 3 spot in the last few years.
He wasn't the only one that was hindered by the selectors myopic vision to select the same players in every format.
Imrul Kayes was a steady opening partner for Tamim in ODIs but he was appalling in Tests; he has the worst average for an opener who has batted in at least 30 innings, (Hannan Sarker is second worst and Javed Omar is fourth worst, looks like Bangladeshi openers seem to excel in this criteria ). Every series he was under immense pressure because of his Test failures, I wonder what he could have achieved if he was left alone to focus only on ODIs.
The same could be said for other players like Jahurul Islam, Rubel, Riyad. I hope the selectors don't make the same mistake in the future and cut short the international careers of others.
Old November 11, 2013, 11:48 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden
I still feel Junaid Siddique is under-rated. In terms of average he is the most successful number 3 Test batsman Bangladesh has ever had; he averages more than Bashar when batting at 3. Furthermore he figures four times in the top 13 Test partnerships by Bangladesh; three of those were with Tamim: 146, 161 and 200 (http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...d=25;type=team).
His problem was that he was awful in ODIs (but surprisingly more than decent in T20s). But the selectors kept picking him for the ODIs and when he failed in those he was dropped from the Test Team. If he was left alone to concentrate on Tests and develop his Test batting he could have been a huge asset to the team given the problems we've had in that troublesome number 3 spot in the last few years.
He wasn't the only one that was hindered by the selectors myopic vision to select the same players in every format.
Imrul Kayes was a steady opening partner for Tamim in ODIs but he was appalling in Tests; he has the worst average for an opener who has batted in at least 30 innings, (Hannan Sarker is second worst and Javed Omar is fourth worst, looks like Bangladeshi openers seem to excel in this criteria ). Every series he was under immense pressure because of his Test failures, I wonder what he could have achieved if he was left alone to focus only on ODIs.
The same could be said for other players like Jahurul Islam, Rubel, Riyad. I hope the selectors don't make the same mistake in the future and cut short the international careers of others.
Actually Junaid has the highest average at the 3 spot in ODIs as well for batsmen who batted at that spot in at least 10 matches. In both Tests and ODIs, he averaged in the teens when opening the innings but as you pointed, he's been one of our most successful number 3 in both Tests and ODIs.

If Marshall doesn't work out in Tests, we should consider Junaid again. In ODIs we're also not settled in that position so he could be considered again, especially since he's been the best batsman in the DPL.
Old November 12, 2013, 12:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

However I feel that in recent times we have stopped this hyping habit of ours which is good to see.

I don't want to start a war but one might want to check out the Pakistan forum where every single domestic talent is hyped as the next big thing and once they debut and fail, they all come crashing down. A bit like our hopes for Anamul who atleast managed to score a century. No need to mention how Windies fan hype his players.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old November 12, 2013, 12:48 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
Actually Junaid has the highest average at the 3 spot in ODIs as well for batsmen who batted at that spot in at least 10 matches. In both Tests and ODIs, he averaged in the teens when opening the innings but as you pointed, he's been one of our most successful number 3 in both Tests and ODIs.

If Marshall doesn't work out in Tests, we should consider Junaid again. In ODIs we're also not settled in that position so he could be considered again, especially since he's been the best batsman in the DPL.
i think aftab was our best number 3 odi batsman ever if you take the avg+SR into account
Old November 12, 2013, 01:03 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

I think getting Junaid back would be a step backward. I am happy with the current group as it is. Juanaid got plenty of opportunities for the slot and all he produced was quickfire 15-25 runs. Most of his fifties that i remember were scored with one or sometimes two lives in terms of dropped catches.
Old November 12, 2013, 01:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Junaid does not have the technique needed to survive in the international level. He is poor against Yorker and the shorter ball.

I would prefer Anam over him.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old November 12, 2013, 02:32 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Yeah I feel we hype less now also, junaid actually looked really good on debut but looked progressively worse as his international career went on. Certainly his short ball game needs to be improved, hopefully he has worked on these issues.
Old November 12, 2013, 02:36 AM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

JuSi is simply clueless against bouncers and most of his dismissals were as ugly as it can get when the bowlers pitched it short. He's very good at playing off-spin though, which is a big advantage being a left-hander. But, if he hasn't improved on playing shorter balls then he'll still be a fish out of water in international cricket.

Last edited by Razi; November 12, 2013 at 07:10 AM..
Old November 12, 2013, 02:59 AM
Cricket Legend

I think Marshall has what it takes for a long term option. Strong in the V, patient and score big. Like a typical bd #3 he suffers from lack of concentration. We should stivk with for another 3/4 series. Zunaid is step backwards imo. Needs to sort out his technique.
Old November 12, 2013, 12:01 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
i think aftab was our best number 3 odi batsman ever if you take the avg+SR into account
Aftab had an average of a 26 with a SR of a 26 while Junaid averaged 29 with a SR of a 71. When you filter out Zimbabwe and the associates and just take in to account of the G8, Junaid's average then becomes a 26 while Aftab's is only 18. This is again taking in to account of when they batted at 3 in ODIs.

So to date, Junaid's been our best #3 in ODI's.
Old November 12, 2013, 12:08 PM
Cricket Guru

The problem with Junaid though is he's such a liability as an opener. That's the spot we need more help in. In T20's and ODI's, it'll be hard to get in since Shamsur and Anamul are there now. In Tests, he'll have a hard time getting in at 3 since Marshall's being tested there and Naeem is right behind Marshall. Junaid would have to get in at opener but again that's where we have a problem because he's been poor as an opener.

The BCL would be great for us in determing who should get the spots at the opening position.
Old November 12, 2013, 12:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
Mosaddek Hossain Saikat .... next BIG thing IMO!
I was also thinking the same thing.
Old November 12, 2013, 02:13 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

even I had a thing for Shahadat (in tests)
This guy was good back in 2007-2008-09
Old November 12, 2013, 04:15 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Razib is the only bowler in the history of Bangladesh cricket to have his name etched in Lords list.
He was the bowler who made RSA concede in their first test at BD (along with Doosraful).
And...
He is the first bowler to earn an ODI hat-trick for Bangladesh.

Enough to be hyped I guess .
Old November 12, 2013, 10:22 PM
Cricket Guru

People shouldn't feel too bad about hyping up Rajib. He had it all. As others have said, he had pace, aggression, generated that awkward bounce for batsmen. His stature is also ideal for pacers as he's tall. Very nice action on the eyes. Too bad his big headed ness got the best of him. He should be 1 of the leaders of our attack by now. Instead he's in and out of his domestic side.
Old November 12, 2013, 10:35 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

he needed a cricketing brain over anything else. Get hammered and keep bowling short pitch deliveries is not a game plan
Old November 12, 2013, 10:50 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Razib is just lazy..Doesnt want to work hard and if someone tells him to hit the net, he starts crying like a baby. And Mofeez sympathize him and say why would some outsider tell our best test bowler to hit the net..keu amare mairala

Shahadat had it all. I still remember his test performance against SA and Australia. Did he actually start to decline after Pont took over? Its a question. .

Well, he may not be all hype but he certainly did disappoint us big time..

Shubhagoto Hom and Kapali are the biggest hype IMO
Old November 13, 2013, 03:31 AM
Cricket Guru

yeah there was nothing wrong with hyping rajib, he genuinely had pretty much everything needed to become a successful international bowler, the one thing he lacked which has already been said is a lack of cricketing brain. he had all the natural gifts, but didn't do what needed to be done to go beyond those gifts and translate them into a successful cricketing career at the international level.
Old November 13, 2013, 03:32 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
Razib is just lazy..Doesnt want to work hard and if someone tells him to hit the net, he starts crying like a baby. And Mofeez sympathize him and say why would some outsider tell our best test bowler to hit the net..keu amare mairala

Shahadat had it all. I still remember his test performance against SA and Australia. Did he actually start to decline after Pont took over? Its a question. .

Well, he may not be all hype but he certainly did disappoint us big time..

Shubhagoto Hom and Kapali are the biggest hype IMO
i don't think shuvagata is/was really hyped much aside from maybe sohel early on and myself.

soumya is hyped by a small number.
Old November 13, 2013, 07:00 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

I think every player is over or under-hyped. It is impossible to hype a player just right.
Old November 13, 2013, 07:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Shabbir under-hyped
Old November 13, 2013, 12:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Tomra ki faizlami koro? How can this thread have 47 posts without a single mention of NAZMUL?
Old November 13, 2013, 03:07 PM
Cricket Sage

over hyped player will come and go...but nobody will be able to beat the record set by Ashraful.
Old December 26, 2013, 12:15 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Anamul and Shabbir need to prove a point to their critics. So far so good