facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 26, 2005, 10:50 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default Haydens Career Coming To An End?

How many more failures can Matthew Hayden have before he is dropped?

Australia have top quality batsmen like Hussey, Hodge, Jacques etc.. in the wings, and I think Hayden now really must make a big score in the last 3 innings of this test series. Not a 60 or 70, a big innings.

The scary thing for Hayden is that he is actually in form. He has been smashing hundreds of runs against the county sides on this tour, yet as soon as he comes up against the international attack, he looks all at sea.

Other sides will be taking notes of how England have bowled at Hayden in this series, and the clever field placings they have for him. I really cannot see things getting better for him.

Time for change I think. What do you think?

Old August 26, 2005, 01:31 PM
BC Editorial Team

But who'll open instead in this series? Clark or Katich? As for Matty, stand and deliver batsmen will always fall very quickly once others figure out a way to curb their favorite areas.
Old August 26, 2005, 04:07 PM
ODI Cricketer

As far as I am concerned, Mike Hussey should be playing for Australia. He is a fantatic opening batsman who is making runs for fun in all forms of cricket, ODI and in Australian and English domestic cricket.

He has made 3 triple centuries, averages over fifty, and is 3 years younger than Hayden. He should be playing. If not instead of Hayden than certainly Katich.
Old August 26, 2005, 04:22 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Yeah, I also thought about Hussey as possible replacement. But selectors may keep playing Hayden until Ashes is over.
Old August 26, 2005, 04:37 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
Yeah, I also thought about Hussey as possible replacement. But selectors may keep playing Hayden until Ashes is over.
Good
Old August 26, 2005, 09:35 PM
First Class Cricketer

I think Hayden needs atleast 4 to 5 months break. He should not be picked in the home series. He should picked for A team matches or domestic matches and if he performs consistently then only he should be picked into the national team.

Well I certainly looking for a opener batsman as quality as Hayden to come to Australia. If there is anyone with half the caliber, he should be in.

Anyway Hayden needs a break.
Old August 27, 2005, 04:01 AM
Cricket Legend

well i thought hayden became fresh in mind after catching a 3kg salmon, but obviously it hasnt helped

my opinion of australia's supermacy over england all these years was because of the steel of waugh brothers and bowling of mcgrath and warne. waughs are not there anymore, mcgrath is almost end of career and not as effective, warne is fghting a lone battle but its too much for him.
Old August 27, 2005, 04:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Hayden's averaged much the same as Martyn, Langer and Katich this series and that too against the new ball while hitting 100s in the tour matches. He's not doing too badly and is long due. He won't be dropped before the end of the series and will almost certainly be used in the Super Series.

Should he fail there Hussey would quite possibly come in to open. Katich could open allowing Hodge into the middle order or Gilchrist could open and allow Watson a go at the top level

I don't think we've seen the last of Haydos
Old August 27, 2005, 04:40 AM
Club Cricketer

I'll have to disagree with you there James.

By now, there seems an air of inevitablility that he will be dropped - similar to Gillespie. Expect Hussey to be rushed into the squad, Watson to rejoin from Hampshire.

Anyone given any thought to Symonds coming in? He and Hussey were the only two players that consistently got on top of the pommy bowlers in the ODIs.
Old August 27, 2005, 04:46 AM
Cricket Legend

I'm a big fan of Andrew Symonds but he definitely should not play another test for Australia. He's not good enough as a batsman alone and his medium pace/off spin is too ordinary to threaten a decent batting lineup. He was tried in the best conditions for his particular gamestyle and failed miserably. Katich proved that he would do better.

Symonds is too old aswell, there really isn't much point bringing him into a squad, persisting with him until he gets used to the game, then after a year retiring. Cameron White or Shane Watson are the only allrounders that should be tried IMO.

Hodge and Hussey are the next in line but I'm not writing the big man off yet. I've grown up watching his career and we've seen what he can do to bowling attacks. If he does fail in the rest of the series and Super Series then I will agree with the exclusion but until then Hayden must be given as many chances as is neccesary

Edited on, August 27, 2005, 9:47 AM GMT, by James90.
Old August 27, 2005, 10:32 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Amla

The aussies are getting past their sell by date, although these guys are quality, the poor form has been found out by a quality team-england.

Its time for a fresh new blood, get hussey in, try a few more youngsters in the home series, start to nurture them in, and drop these old guys.

he frailties in haydos batting as been highlighted, give someone else a ago now, hes been in poor form for a while now.

If the aussies dont start to nurture some youngster in, they will start to struggle badly. Mcgrath and warne are old and their relying too mcuh on them.
Old August 27, 2005, 11:14 AM
Test Cricketer

Drop Hayden, Clarke to open in the 5th test
Old August 28, 2005, 04:36 PM
Club Cricketer

either brad hodge or mike hussey should replace hayden.

both of these batsman has beeen very succesfull in england with lecister, and northants.

Edited on, August 28, 2005, 9:36 PM GMT, by nas.
Old August 28, 2005, 11:56 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

I say give Hodge a bat. He is a highly talented batsman, and deserves his chance. He is also an outstanding fieldsman.

PS: My being a Victorian has not influenced my opinion.
Old August 29, 2005, 03:05 PM
ODI Cricketer

yeah i second nas, "brad hodge or mike hussey should replace hayden" !

Hayden might be a great batsman but he is in a very poor run, he shld take a break and come back strong !

cheers !
Old August 30, 2005, 01:38 AM
Club Cricketer

I think Hayden will definitely be playing in the 5th test. He has been getting starts but not going on making big scores. In the practice matches he has been scoring some runs. So he isnt out of form, so to speak.

Also his predicament is different from Gillespie's. Ponting said that Gillespie still has a chance to play test cricket. But he will have to get tons of wickets in domestic tournament. To me that feels like the end of his journey. Whereas Hayden and Langer has been one of the most successful opening pair in test history. So they wont drop Hayden so easily. But if they DO DROP him someday, then that would be the end of his test career. Hayden's situation feels so much like Michael Slater when Steve Waugh dropped him for the last test for Justin Langer. maybe thats why Slater's been calling for Hayden's head!

Hodge is there for experience, I dont think he will take any part in the ashes other than be a sub. Only Hussey is in good form. In the last match against Yorkshire, Hussey scored 92 for Durham (414 all out). So if anyone is replaced then only Hussey deserves a call.
Old August 30, 2005, 03:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by AussieBloke
Only Hussey is in good form. In the last match against Yorkshire, Hussey scored 92 for Durham (414 all out). So if anyone is replaced then only Hussey deserves a call.
The last match Hayden played against a county he hit 100. Dos won't be dropped.

I agree with you "AussieBloke" on most of what you said, however the opening combination of Langer and Hayden isn't much different from the opening combination of McGrath and Gillespie.

Bowling wins test matches and a change had to be made. Hayden hasn't been at his best for a long time, however Gillespie hasn't had any form since laying foot in England. Gillespie was justified in my opinion. I wouldn't drop Hayden for The Oval.
Old August 31, 2005, 06:52 AM
First Class Cricketer

Aussie batting order for the next test.

Team that should be.

1. Katich (opens for NSW)
2. Langer
3. ponting
4.Clarke
5. Martyn (i don't rate him, only has one shot and allways gets out to it, maybe his last game)/ Hodge (should be his time to play)
6. Gllie
7. Watson
8. Warne
9.Lee
10. Mcgrath
11. Mcgill

batsmen: katich, langer, ponting, clarke, hodge/martyn,
watson, gillie

back up batsmen: lee, warne

7 batsmen, 2 backups

bowling: lee, mcgrath, warne, mcgille
backup : watson

3 quicks, 2 spiners maybe katich a few overs as well, nice balence

Old September 2, 2005, 07:30 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by islam
Aussie batting order for the next test.

Team that should be.

1. Katich (opens for NSW)
2. Langer
3. ponting
4.Clarke
5. Martyn (i don't rate him, only has one shot and allways gets out to it, maybe his last game)/ Hodge (should be his time to play)
6. Gllie
7. Watson
8. Warne
9.Lee
10. Mcgrath
11. Mcgill

batsmen: katich, langer, ponting, clarke, hodge/martyn,
watson, gillie

back up batsmen: lee, warne

7 batsmen, 2 backups

bowling: lee, mcgrath, warne, mcgille
backup : watson

3 quicks, 2 spiners maybe katich a few overs as well, nice balence

I like it. I would also be somewhat tempted to switch Warne and Watson in the batting lineup.

We all know what Warne can do.

Hell, as a test I'd like to see him at #3, he could build an innings. Knowing him, probably a large one too. Nothing to lose, a lot to gain.
Old September 4, 2005, 04:24 PM
ODI Cricketer

Well, Hayden made a big score today.

Good for England, Australia won't drop him now
Old September 5, 2005, 04:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
5. Martyn (i don't rate him, only has one shot and allways gets out to it, maybe his last game)
Prooving your incredible cricket knowledge

Hayden to hit 100 at The Oval

Edited on, September 5, 2005, 9:10 AM GMT, by James90.
Old September 6, 2005, 10:23 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

hayden is just going through a bad patch. england bowlers have bowled to his weaknesses and aided by clever field placings, has found his technique a bit wanting. But all said and done, Hayden is a quality players who has scored tons of runs against every attack in every condition. These recent failures are so glaring because throughtout the last 6-7 seasons he has been a run making machine. He just needs one big score. I hope the aussie selectors give him a longer run. But I am afraid if Hayden fails again at Oval and if Aussies lose the Ashes 3-1, the selectors just might cut Haydens magnificent career to a premature end.
Old September 7, 2005, 02:52 AM
Street Cricketer

I think it would be foolhardy for the Aussie selectors to drop Hayden now....No use tinkering with the team NOW...too little too late.

They should stick with him now, and drop him after the Ashes, if they still want to. But Hayden knows his head is on the line, so he may spring a surprise or 2 at the Oval....

I really hope so, as I would like to see a good final show-down....
Old September 10, 2005, 10:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Well Hayden is playing well now. I hope to see the old Hayden back to increase his score (but I want England to win the game though ).
Old September 11, 2005, 06:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by James90
Proving your incredible cricket knowledge

Hayden to hit 100 at The Oval
Does this make up for my "Bangladesh are going to lose this test" comment?