facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old November 1, 2011, 09:43 PM
Cricket Savant

Default Dhaka, Moscow set to ink nuke energy deal

Quote:
Tuesday, November 1, 2011
Dhaka, Moscow set to ink nuke energy deal

Photo: Internet
BSS, Dhaka

Bangladesh is set to sign a landmark deal with Russia on Wednesday finalising arrangements to install the country's first ever nuclear power plant to produce 2,000 megawatt electricity in northwestern Rooppur.
"This is a landmark event for us . . . this will greatly help us meet our energy demand and we need energy to build our desired digital Bangladesh," State Minister for Science and Information and Communication Technology Yeafesh Osman told BSS.
Osman added that the treaty he would sign with former Russian prime minister and director general of Russia's state-run Atomic Energy Corporation or ‘Rosatom’ Sergey Kirienko would be the final government-to-government deal.
The deal comes nearly two years after Dhaka signed a crucial framework agreement with Moscow on Russian cooperation for the country's maiden nuclear plant in northwestern Rooppur by 2017-18 at a cost of $1.5 to $2 billion.
The two countries prepared the groundwork earlier also inking a primary deal in February this year.
Officials familiar with the process said after Wednesday's agreement, Rosatom and Bangladesh's Atomic Energy Commission would need to work out the issues of costing and equipment procurement under two subsequent deals.
The two countries now finalised the technical details of the proposed deal along with the issues of future maintenance ahead of the final agreement as Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission prepared the action plan to set up the nuclear power plant to meet the growing demand for energy.
Officials said Dhaka-Moscow cooperation under the agreement would include 'design, construction and operation of nuclear power and research reactors; nuclear fuel supply, taking back the spent nuclear fuel and nuclear waste management'.
"As per the agreement, the parties shall assure the transfer of materials, technologies, equipment and services for implementation of joint programmes in the field of the use of nuclear energy for peaceful purposes," the framework agreement read.
International Atomic Energy Association allowed Bangladesh to install nuclear power plants in 2007 along with seven other developing nations while Russia, France, South Korea, China and Pakistan expressed their interest to offer their assistance for developing the infrastructure.
Officials earlier said the major part of the cost to be provided through domestic funds and the rest of the amount to come from the builder or international donors as soft loan.
"We decided to engage the builder of the project on a bilateral state-to-state basis instead of going for time consuming international bidding process," a senior science and ICT ministry official said.
The government recently formulated a vision plan as part of its desperate efforts to augment electricity amid growing demands while the poor power supply is estimated to cost around two per cent of GDP growth each year, according a study of the World Bank.
Only around 40 percent of Bangladeshis currently have access to electricity while the country now witnesses a deficit of 1,000 to 1,500 MW power with 41 public and private sector plants with de-rated capacity of 5,198 MW.
But dwindling reserves in the existing gas fields, the main source for the country's power generation and expensive petroleum for electricity production prompted the experts and policymakers to explore solar and other renewable energy sources as the situation is also backed by a global campaign for clean energy.

Daily Star
Historic occasion. Offstump's status encapsulates even better tying in cricket...

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles

Last edited by Zeeshan; November 1, 2011 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: More appropriate title added

Old November 1, 2011, 09:45 PM
Cricket Guru

We're dealing with Russia here, so whats the catch lol. Great news nonetheless.
Old November 1, 2011, 11:48 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Hopefully locals won't be given the responsibility of maintenance...have you seen the state of things in Bangladesh, and now to give those same people, nuclear facilities to take care of....

:doomsday:
Old November 2, 2011, 03:16 AM
Banned

Wow is this really going to happen? I thought India might put a stop to this.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old November 2, 2011, 03:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN

I'll believe it when construction starts. But aside from my usual cynicism, it would truly be a wonderful thing for Bangladesh.

2000 megawatts - sure by 2017-2018 it won't be THAT significant, but it would still probably represent 15-20% of our power need.
Old November 2, 2011, 08:58 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Bad idea. Even the Japs cudn't handle it and we are talking BD administration

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)
Old November 2, 2011, 09:58 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

I am very actively participating with this Project of Accomplishment of Essential Activities for the implementation Of Rooppur Nuclear PowerPlant..... so if anybody has any question regarding the Rooppur nuclear powerplant i can give u the answers and clarify Ur queries.

i am exhausted ..... had a 15 day training in Japan and when came back had to to work hard for the final preparation of the Signing Ceremony and the Meet the Press Event. anyway now i am free, i will now start the process of progressively returning back to BC.
Old November 2, 2011, 10:05 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6_Turbo
I'll believe it when construction starts. But aside from my usual cynicism, it would truly be a wonderful thing for Bangladesh.

2000 megawatts - sure by 2017-2018 it won't be THAT significant, but it would still probably represent 15-20% of our power need.
Russia and bangladesh will now finalize some Engineering and geological surveys. BUET is preparing an Environmental Impact Assessment Report. based on those survey and Russia will finalize the Designs .......... it may take another 1-2 year.

if everything goes smoothly, the construction of first unit may start in 2013. and the 2nd unit will start 2014. then it will take 5-6 year for construction and commissioning. so though our ministers and secretaries told 2017-18, honstly speaking 2019-20 is the realistic target.

now according to our Power system matster Plan in 2020 our grid capacity will be around 15000 MW and we will have 2000 MW of Nuclear power.
Old November 2, 2011, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

How long before this leads to a nuclear disaster thanks to non-existent safety standards?
Old November 3, 2011, 01:27 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName
You two got your answer ???
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old November 3, 2011, 03:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by offstump
Russia and bangladesh will now finalize some Engineering and geological surveys. BUET is preparing an Environmental Impact Assessment Report. based on those survey and Russia will finalize the Designs .......... it may take another 1-2 year.

if everything goes smoothly, the construction of first unit may start in 2013. and the 2nd unit will start 2014. then it will take 5-6 year for construction and commissioning. so though our ministers and secretaries told 2017-18, honstly speaking 2019-20 is the realistic target.

now according to our Power system matster Plan in 2020 our grid capacity will be around 15000 MW and we will have 2000 MW of Nuclear power.
Figured Bangladeshi project management slippage would take hold, and no way would the project be completed by 2017-18.

Regardless, it's an awesome opportunity, and if we have development partners willing to work with us, a much more affordable(in the long run) and sustainable method of power generation.

Thing is, we've heard about Rooppur forever and ever, my question is why haven't successive governments acted on this before(don't care about the politics), logistics? will? money?
Old November 3, 2011, 03:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
I will believe it when its completed. From experience many
large construction projects which had been in the pipeline for a long time takes a long time to materialise.

Old November 3, 2011, 04:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
How long before this leds to a nuclear disaster thanks to non-existent safety standards?
Chances of that happening is pretty less as its going to be a HWR type reactor.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)
Old November 3, 2011, 05:39 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac

RUSSIA is going to provide us VVER-1000 or later version
Old November 3, 2011, 05:44 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
I am very actively participating with this Project of Accomplishment of Essential Activities for the implementation Of Rooppur Nuclear PowerPlant..... so if anybody has any question regarding the Rooppur nuclear powerplant i can give u the answers and clarify Ur queries.

i am exhausted ..... had a 15 day training in Japan and when came back had to to work hard for the final preparation of the Signing Ceremony and the Meet the Press Event. anyway now i am free, i will now start the process of progressively returning back to BC.
Great ... Congratz...

Hope you keep us posted on milestone achievements....

Its a great news indeed.... although it should have been much more than 2 mega
Old November 3, 2011, 08:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Hey thats great news... U must be some hotshot Electrical Engineer from Bangladesh!!!
Congrats for being a part of history!!!
I am officially jealous!! :P
Old November 3, 2011, 02:57 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Energy-starved Bangladesh signs nuclear power deal with Russia

By Farid Ahmed
updated 2:02 PM EST, Thu November 3, 2011

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Two power plants will be set up in Bangladesh and funded by Russia
  • Construction of the plants would begin in 2013
  • Bangladesh has acute energy shortages; many offices are without power for hours

Dhaka, Bangladesh (CNN) -- Bangladesh in its first move to go for nuclear power signed a deal with Russia to meet its widening energy deficit.
"Russia will build two nuclear power plants, and each of the units will produce 1,000 megawatts of electricity," said Yeafesh Osman, a junior minister in charge of Bangladesh's Science and Technology.
Osman and Sergey Kirienko, director general of Russian state-controlled nuclear corporation Rosatom, signed the intergovernmental agreement in the capital Dhaka on Wednesday in the presence of Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
The nuclear power blocks will be set up in Rooppur town, about 170 kilometers northwest of and they will be funded by Russia.
Osman said the construction of the plants would begin in 2013, and it would take nearly five years to complete.
"The possible security and safety measures will be taken in installing the NPP, keeping the Fukushima accident in mind," Osman said.
The blocks will have dual containment of the reactor, a passive heat removal system and hydrogen recombiners, Kirienko said. "Russia will supply nuclear fuel for the plants for the entire period of its exploitation."
"The power plant will remain safe even if a massive earthquake and tsunami simultaneously take place or any aircraft weighing 4,000 tons crashes on it," Kirienko said.
The energy-starved South Asian nation has acute energy shortages. Hardly any office or factory goes unaffected by power cuts, sometimes lasting for hours.
The government also faces difficulties in managing the angry mobs that often attack and ransack the power offices.
According to statistics from the country's Power Development Board, only half of the country's 150 million people have access to electricity. It produces on an average 5,000 megawatts of electricity a day, with a deficit of more than 1,000 megawatts.
CNN
Old November 3, 2011, 04:23 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Quote:

Woow! That is the greatest of news! Muchos Congratas Shagor dada Offstmp bhayio!! This is so great to hear! I/we are very very proud of you today! Offstump bhai

Now Offstum bhaiya,
a. When do you think we will assemble and produce our first nuke powered submarine, how soon? I had long long dream, someday my BD will have nuk powered amphibian Submarine type thing and I will be a the commander of that boat and patrol in the Bay fo Bangal! I even have a name ready for our first produced nuk sub.."SSBDN-Durgaam-1A"

b. Who will provide the security for the BD Nuk Bomb? Army, RAB? And also what would be the first BD Nuk B's name? I think it could be something like SSNBD "Mor Shala-1"
Old November 3, 2011, 09:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
Woow! That is the greatest of news! Muchos Congratas Shagor dada Offstmp bhayio!! This is so great to hear! I/we are very very proud of you today! Offstump bhai

Now Offstum bhaiya,
a. When do you think we will assemble and produce our first nuke powered submarine, how soon? I had long long dream, someday my BD will have nuk powered amphibian Submarine type thing and I will be a the commander of that boat and patrol in the Bay fo Bangal! I even have a name ready for our first produced nuk sub.."SSBDN-Durgaam-1A"

b. Who will provide the security for the BD Nuk Bomb? Army, RAB? And also what would be the first BD Nuk B's name? I think it could be something like SSNBD "Mor Shala-1"
a) Why should bangladesh ever spent money on a nuclear submarine?? That is just a waste of epic proportion given the state of our economy!!

b) Hope u are kidding!!!
Old November 3, 2011, 09:40 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:

Glad to hear about your active participation and success! Congrats!

We have been hearing about roopur project for years. I believe original project was initiated in pre-Bangladesh era. Can you give insight on project's tentative schedule? In terms of actual knowledge transfer, how much of it would BD get and how much would be purely Russian control?
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old November 4, 2011, 05:57 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
a) Why should bangladesh ever spent money on a nuclear submarine?? That is just a waste of epic proportion given the state of our economy!!

b) Hope u are kidding!!!
Hhahahah Arrey HWG bhaiyo, of course I am being silly, you know!....anything that takes another living being's life cannot be true human.
Old November 5, 2011, 01:39 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Quote:
I will believe it when its completed. From experience many
large construction projects which had been in the pipeline for a long time takes a long time to materialise.

My response was on your below query, as to why India didnt put a stop/ didnt object to it.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName
We are dealing with Russia because India is comfortable with it.
Old November 5, 2011, 01:43 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac

Quote:
RUSSIA is going to provide us VVER-1000 or later version
I think I speak for many of us here when I say I have absolutely no clue about this.

Can you guys please enlighten us briefly ???
Old November 5, 2011, 02:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
I think I speak for many of us here when I say I have absolutely no clue about this.

Can you guys please enlighten us briefly ???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VVER#Op...e_of_VVER_1000

Quote:
The Russian abbreviation VVER stands for water-cooled, water-moderated energy reactor. This describes the pressurised water reactor (PWR) design. The main distinguishing features of the VVER[2] compared to other PWRs are:

Horizontal steam generators
Hexahedral fuel assemblies
No bottom penetrations in the pressure vessel
High-capacity pressurisers providing a large reactor coolant inventory

Quote:
Safety barriers
The two VVER-440 units in Loviisa have containment buildings that fulfil Western safety standards.

A typical design feature of nuclear reactors is layered safety barriers preventing escape of radioactive material. VVER reactors have four layers:

Fuel pellets: Radioactive elements are retained within the crystal structure of the fuel pellets.
Fuel rods: The zircaloy tubes provide a further barrier resistant to heat and high pressure.
Reactor Shell: A massive steel shell encases the whole fuel assembly hermetically.
Reactor Building: A concrete containment building that encases the whole first circuit is strong enough to resist the pressure surge a breach in the first circuit would cause.
Old November 5, 2011, 03:01 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

This is the other side, so to speak, written by a friend and schoolmate of mine
- "Nuclear Power is not the way forward": http://opinion.bdnews24.com/2011/03/...e-way-forward/