facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old April 7, 2005, 02:25 PM
Test Cricketer

Default US School Removes Islam’s Golden Era

WASHINGTON, April 7, 2005 (IslamOnline.net) - A school in Arizona removed a seventh-grade textbook on medieval times on claims the book focuses on the portrayal of Islam.

The book has eight various units, with the first on the legacy of the Roman Empire and the second on the rise of Islam and the contribution of Muslims to world civilization. Other chapters cover other different aspects.

The Islamic civilization was in its heyday at the time, which also witnessed the fall of the Roman Empire in the fifth century and a legacy of feudalism in Europe, known as the Dark Ages, before the Age of Enlightenment.

The book, “History Alive! The Medieval World and Beyond,” was being used on a trial basis at Mohave Middle School in Scottsdale in Tucson, according to The Tucson Citizen Wednesday, April 6, quoting the Associated Press.

The paper said the removal came allegedly after angry e-mails to the school district and entries on conservative Web logs.

“I received a significant number of e-mails saying (the book) was Islamic propaganda and we shouldn’t use it,” said district governing board member Christine Schild.

In a January 25 e-mail to Superintendent John Baracy, Parent Janie White objected to what she believed was “religious bias, dogma, myth and proselytizing.”

Similar letters were carried by hard-line Web sites, including the one of Daniel Pipes known for his scathing attacks on Islam.

In the only one unit covering Islam in the book, students read and learn about the contributions of Muslims to world civilization in such areas as science, geography, mathematics, philosophy, medicine, art, and literature.

Medieval Richness

The book also covers the richness of Islam at the time, in addition to the rich heritage of storytelling and poetry in the Muslim world.

Students also learn how Sufism, or Islamic mysticism, enriched Muslim literature. The book cites as example Omar Khayyam, whose collection of Sufi poems is one of the most widely translated pieces of literature in the world.

Khayyam was not just a poet. He was also a mathematician, scientist, and astronomer. He made significant contributions in each of those areas, according to the book.

The district had not yet invited members of the Islamic community to discuss the book by the time it was pulled in March.

The book devotes 33 pages to Christianity and 42 pages to Islam, included in one of the book’s eight units.

The titles of other lessons cover areas such as “the Byzantine Empire” and “From the Crusades to the Rise of New Muslim Empires”. Students also learn about the causes and effects of the crusades through role playing.

Western Muslim analysts have long complained of discrimination or at least ignorance in American and European school curricula.

In December, a number of European experts recommended in a conference that countries in the continent should review its schoolbooks on Islam as a good start for introducing the true image of the Muslims’ faith.

Several countries have allowed teaching Islam at schools in an attempt to further integrate Muslim minorities and raise awareness about Islam.

www.islam-online.net

Old April 7, 2005, 02:44 PM
First Class Cricketer

They don't want Islam to spread in their country. So, it's an usual step. They hate us. Why don't they try to understand that Muslim's are not "Terrorists" ???
Old April 7, 2005, 03:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

I dont see the point on removing a text book just cause it has a unit on islam. I dont see any reason for these parents angry emails.

Its not like reading about islam will make u a terroist.
Old April 7, 2005, 06:25 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Ovi Khan
They hate us. Why don't they try to understand that Muslim's are not "Terrorists" ???
dude...you answered the question yourself...coz they hate us, and thats why they want to see us under that label
Old April 7, 2005, 06:31 PM
Test Cricketer

you know whats really funny....??

they dont remove history books documenting adolf hitler and Germany's nazi history, even thought he killed 6+ million people....

they dont remove books that talk about rise of stalin, lenin blah blah blah in Russia and turining it into a communist state, even thought america was about to nuke the crap out of them during the 70s and 80s....

so whats this big noise about islamic history??? during those days, they didnt kill 6 million people like nazi did.....

i seriously dont understand how the minds of these morons work....and to think they run the world......
Old April 7, 2005, 07:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Neither do I. They really puzzle me iwth their sometimes stupid actions such as this one.
Old April 10, 2005, 05:31 PM
BC Editorial Team

I'm shocked Arnab & MWRKhan hasn't commented on this one Yes, this is a blatant attempt to generate some contrarian views
Old April 10, 2005, 06:05 PM
Cricket Legend

What is there to comment about?

Alright, as per RazabQ's request, here's a crude observation:

Religious people are dumb. Christians are dumb. Muslims are dumb. And they bicker back and forth about the dumb deeds they do to each other. The topic of this thread is a perfect example. In this case, muslims are angry about their dumb christian bretheren.

Islam did hava glorious history during the dark middle ages of Europe. And this whole charade is hilarious.
Old April 10, 2005, 06:26 PM
BC Editorial Team

danke
Old April 10, 2005, 06:37 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnab
Religious people are dumb. Christians are dumb. Muslims are dumb. And they bicker back and forth about the dumb deeds they do to each other. The topic of this thread is a perfect example. In this case, muslims are angry about their dumb christian bretheren.
Reading your post gives me the feeling that you think you are intelligent and you know a lot and any people with faith are just stupid.
Old April 10, 2005, 07:35 PM
Cricket Legend

ei bishoye comment korte khub ichcha kortese.... kintu I guess there is nothing left for me to say .... ghotona to aar unexpected kisuna....
________
K75

Last edited by ialbd; February 19, 2011 at 11:23 PM..
Old April 10, 2005, 08:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by TigerFan
Reading your post gives me the feeling that you think you are intelligent and you know a lot and any people with faith are just stupid.
Well, what can I say? I am proud of you. You have excellent analytical skills.
Old April 10, 2005, 08:59 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

Another useless thread, and another string of classically stupid Arnab interjections.

Bring on the cricket already!!!!
Old April 10, 2005, 09:13 PM
Cricket Legend

I think the bd cricket forum is here:

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...play.php?fid=1

and the internaitonal cricket forum is here:

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...play.php?fid=6

I see that both forums have hundreds of threads that one can contribute to.

Maybe people are stupid. Why don't they post cricket related posts in the "forget cricket" forum? It's a genuine mystery.

Edited on, April 11, 2005, 2:14 AM GMT, by Arnab.
Old April 10, 2005, 10:10 PM
Test Cricketer

When I said "bring on the cricket already", I meant "I can't wait until the cricket starts and there are more interesting cricket-related threads to take part in".

Sorry, is the word "cricket" forbidden in the Forget Cricket forum, Mr. Arnab?
Old April 11, 2005, 12:07 AM
Test Cricketer

jabbar man, can you point out the uselessness of this thread? I mean you said it stupid right? I thought this is an article interest to those who are like me wanting to know about islam, muslims and anything related to islam and muslims around the globe.

Edited on, April 11, 2005, 5:07 AM GMT, by TigerFan.
Old April 11, 2005, 12:09 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Well, what can I say? I am proud of you. You have excellent analytical skills.
So, Intelligent Arnab, nice way to make fun of peoples' intellect!
Old April 11, 2005, 10:28 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by TigerFan
WASHINGTON, April 7, 2005 (IslamOnline.net) - A school in Arizona removed a seventh-grade textbook on medieval times on claims the book focuses on the portrayal of Islam.

Several countries have allowed teaching Islam at schools in an attempt to further integrate Muslim minorities and raise awareness about Islam.

www.islam-online.net
Can you guys answer why the Buddha Statues were destroyed in Bamiyan? Is there any initiative to correct yourself and apologize for your own misdeeds?
Old April 11, 2005, 10:43 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by tiger_man
you know whats really funny....??

they dont remove history books documenting adolf hitler and Germany's nazi history, even thought he killed 6+ million people....

they dont remove books that talk about rise of stalin, lenin blah blah blah in Russia and turining it into a communist state, even thought america was about to nuke the crap out of them during the 70s and 80s....

so whats this big noise about islamic history??? during those days, they didnt kill 6 million people like nazi did.....

i seriously dont understand how the minds of these morons work....and to think they run the world......
Have you guys ever seen any 'Islamic' history book that talks about killing of 3 million Bengalis in 1971 by Muslims?
Old April 11, 2005, 10:57 PM
Test Cricketer

I think I heard of it before.... but I was distracted by the incessant focus on the holocaust.

Not to denigrate the Holocaust, which was a comparable genocide to what happened in BD, but seriously, I don't hear or read much about what happened in 1971 as I do for teh holocaust. It probably helps that Jews practically own the media..... you can't blame them, I suppose.
Old April 12, 2005, 03:41 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:

athiests are dumb, people of faith are dumb. they just bicker back and forth about the existance or non-existance of god, when neither side has ever provided evidence which both parties accepted.

in fact, anyone who has ever engaged in an inconclusive debate is dumb, since they just wasted their time.
Old April 16, 2005, 08:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Religious people are dumb. Christians are dumb. Muslims are dumb. .
Let me add to that...

Atheists are dumber :P
Old April 17, 2005, 07:10 AM
Cricket Legend

the thing about not owning the media is so boring. why don't you pool your savings and buy a newspaper or two? or a printing press?
Old April 17, 2005, 02:17 PM
BC Editorial Team

the haves are very likely to not give the have nots access are they?