facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 3, 2013, 05:00 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCup11
I meant ,convert the offenders to opposite sex and give them taste of what they have done in the past.
I would have hoped that mankind would have gone beyond such punishments...what you suggest would not have been out of place in Hammurabi's Code!

Old February 3, 2013, 06:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
makes me sick every time I open Bangla newspaper's website

গাজীপুরে আবারও শিশু গণধর্ষণ
It doesn't make me sick anymore...it just makes me wanting to send them to Saudi Arabia and let them get the rape punishment ...bloody pedophiles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReZ_1
Who are to blame for the most? the government, the corrupted males or the females themselves?
ReZ_1, do you really think only wearing clothes that can "provoke" men is why we are blamed? Then what's your opinion about children who get raped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
I sincerely hope it wasn't that good ol' "indecent wardrobe" "damsel in distress in ondhokar goli" etc argument...
Zee, please off jao!!!
Old February 3, 2013, 06:49 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

What about those morons who video tape intimate moments with a girl and then share it with friends? I find it really sick. A girl that I know committed suicide after she found out that her so called Boy friend video taped her and that video is all over the internet.

As much as I hate death penalty, I want those animals to be hanged in public. No need to send them in prison or in Thailand. Those pathetic roaches have no right to be alive.
Old February 3, 2013, 06:49 AM
MLC World Series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah
Like this guy?
What an a-hole!
Old February 3, 2013, 07:04 AM
MLC World Series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinatf
It doesn't make me sick anymore...it just makes me wanting to send them to Saudi Arabia and let them get the rape punishment ...bloody pedophiles
Zinat, sending them to KSA is not an option. Their laws have many loop holes and violate human rights. It may seem to us that the number of sexual crimes in such a region is less, but it happens and we all know how the women are oppressed despite the presence of a strict law for sexual assault.
Old February 3, 2013, 07:15 AM
Test Cricketer

Very much agree with the writters.
আমরা ধর্ষণ চাইনা, কিন্তু ধর্ষক বানাই

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old February 3, 2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riajul

The title should be at best 'Amra dhoshok chaina, Dhorshok hoi', nothing new with this typical writing/response, but never a solution IMO.
Old February 3, 2013, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:

I guess none of the discussions above were read and we get another write-up that tries to justify rape by blaming the victims.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:07 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
I guess none of the discussions above were read and we get another write-up that tries to justify rape by blaming the victims.
how ? I think writter tried to blaming the misuse of media.

Old February 3, 2013, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Why not blame the ones who do it? Why look for excuses?
Old February 3, 2013, 08:35 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Why not blame the ones who do it? Why look for excuses?
vai, uni victim ke o dosh den nai, r apni jetake excuse bollen seta excuse na, setai baastob. Zim Tanvir er r o lekha gulu te uni cheleder kei beshi dayi korechen ebong somadhan o diyesen. But fb te ekhon sei lekha gulu khuje pacchi na.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:36 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
how ? I think writter tried to blaming the misuse of media.

after reading that article I also think that the writer is blaming the media,but only once he blamed a girl where he wrote about "pasher bari'r meye..."
overall it's well written, I don't see it as an excuse but there is no doubt that with what we grow up watching or listening will have an effect( on some).
I'm also disgusted the way movies/music videos/fashion shows or even programs that don't have anything to do with girls keep using girls or their bodies for attraction.

But that's slightly a different topic, as far as the current situation is concerned I would really hope the gvmnt of BD to make an extra effort.
Like after DUDOK( ?) was created a special branch against corruption ( sorry I lack knowledge) the corruption activities have reduced.
Rather than talking about punishment I would like to focus on how to prevent such crimes, and I think a special branch/force/service is required.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:01 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Rape punishment should be more harsh. These animals need to be harshly punsihed and need to be made an example. I don't know what the current punishment and maybe someone (Navo!) can shed more light on it.

I found this from a friend's FB and the observation is interesting --

গত দুইদিনে একটা জিনিস বুঝলাম। বাংলাদেশের যুবসমাজের একটা বড় অংশ অবদমিত যৌন আকাংখা থেকে এক ধরনের অসুস্থ যৌন ফ্যান্টাসি'তে ভুগছে।
এদের যৌন বিকারগ্রস্থ'ও বলা যায়।
যৌন শিক্ষার অভাব, নৈতিকতার চর্চার লোপ, সহজলভ্য পর্ণ কন্টেন্ট, ইন্ডিয়ান মসলা ছবি এই যৌন বিকারের পালে হাওয়া দিচ্ছে, আর পাগলা কুত্তার মত ছুটছে এই যুবক'রা! এরা ওড়নাবিহীন মেয়েতে যৌনতা খুঁজে পায়, খেলার পাতায় শারাপোভার ছবিতে উত্তেজনা বোধ করে, এমনকি রিক্সায় করে ভাইবোন গেলেও ভাবে বয়ফ্রেন্ড-গার্লফ্রেন্ড!!
এদের মধ্যে সাহসীরা রেপ করে ফেলে, একটু কম সাহসীরা ইভ টিজিং করে আর বাঁকিরা গাল-গল্প বানায়!

Last edited by mufi_02; February 3, 2013 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: Edit:missed some part
Old February 3, 2013, 10:14 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

I think as boss said, in our culture rapes mostly go unreported.

But let me digress a bit and bring up molestation topic of our society. I have a female friend and I know her for a long time. Few years ago she told me about how she was molested by family members (dulabhai, older cousin). She was too young to even understand what was going on. When I told her why can't she tell her parents now, she says she feels threatened by the guy. She says no one will believe and in fact will blame her. It was just too shocking and so sad to hear. During family events, that guy comes and they all eat together. She has to see his face and keep quiet. Imagine how hard it is being next to your molester/rapist and not be able to say anything. Her family is very wealthy in Dhaka and well respected and she thinks her mom will beat or shun her when she "disgraces" the family.

This is not an isolated event. What can be done about these molesters who are living right alongside us. We don't know them, the victims are afraid to talk about them, and they roam freely.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:48 AM
MLC World Series I

@mufi,

I had a friend who went through the same thing during her childhood. But, she had the courage to say it to her mom when she was old enough to realize it. The next time the person came for a visit, the mom thrashed him and threatened to kill him. And they never maintained contact with him after that.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:52 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Looks like we did NOT get you wrong. There was no incorrect interpretation of your post. It was exactly what you stated above that everyone was decrying. What is provoking in your opinion? Hair visible? Not wearing a burkha?
Burka's and hijabs will not prevent or even reduce cases of sexual assault. They will reduce greatly, although not eliminate, consensual encounters because no girl feel sexy wearing a hijab and very few guys would considering hitting on a girl wearing one.

However, rape isn't about attraction. Its a sociopathy and it is fueled by one or any combination of anger towards women, power, control. In this situation, a woman wearing a hijab could actually be targetted because of it!

In this regard, I am in total agreement with "liberals" or "feminists".

However, I differ when it comes to the use and excercise of common sense.

Women need to guard against putting themselves in dangerous situations. Girls who show up to a frat party, get piss drunk, and then wake up next to someone and can't remember entering that bedroom, really have only themselves to blame. Once again, opportunistic rape is not any more justifiable than rape as an instrument of war, but girls cannot expect any more sympathy beyond the statement "that guy is a rapist".

I've had discussions where woman have lambasted me for saying that and saying that its a free country and they have the right "to have fun and not be preyed upon." But how is this any different from Magic Johnson, who had unprotected sex with multiple partners, presumably because it was "fun" and ended up with HIV? Responsibility can go a long ways.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 3, 2013, 11:18 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by maysun
@mufi,

I had a friend who went through the same thing during her childhood. But, she had the courage to say it to her mom when she was old enough to realize it. The next time the person came for a visit, the mom thrashed him and threatened to kill him. And they never maintained contact with him after that.
That should be the appropriate response. But you know in our society not every parents have that courage. That's why this 'silent rapes' go less reported.

These molesters are educated, from good families, and now in top positions. These animals can't go out and rape like a deranged person would do. So they resort this silent brutality and almost always goes unpunished.

P.S. I have also heard crazy anecdotes from places like Dhaka Club and others. Maybe its not right for this thread but its worth the mention that many university age people (sons/daughter of the members) are involved in many freakish activities of molestation/rape nature.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by maysun
Zinat, sending them to KSA is not an option. Their laws have many loop holes and violate human rights. It may seem to us that the number of sexual crimes in such a region is less, but it happens and we all know how the women are oppressed despite the presence of a strict law for sexual assault.
Did someone just mention Saudi Arabia .....

This is a news from yesterday

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...lling-daughter

Saudi preacher gets off light for raping, killing daughter
A Saudi preacher who raped his five-year-old daughter and tortured her to death has been sentenced to pay "blood money" to the mother after having served a short jail term, activists said on Saturday.

Lamia al-Ghamdi was admitted to hospital on December 25, 2011 with multiple injuries, including a crushed skull, broken ribs and left arm, extensive bruising and burns, the activists said. She died last October 22.

Fayhan al-Ghamdi, an Islamic preacher and regular guest on Muslim television networks, confessed to having used cables and a cane to inflict the injuries, the activists from the group "Women to Drive" said in a statement.

They said the father had doubted Lama's virginity and had her checked up by a medic.

Randa al-Kaleeb, a social worker from the hospital where Lama was admitted, said the girl's back was broken and that she had been raped "everywhere", according to the group.

According to the victim's mother, hospital staff told her that her "child's rectum had been torn open and the abuser had attempted to burn it closed."

The activists said that the judge had ruled the prosecution could only seek "blood money (compensation for the next of kin under Islamic law) and the time the defendant had served in prison since Lama's death suffices as punishment."

Three Saudi activists, including Manal al-Sharif, have raised objections to the ruling.

The ruling is based on Islamic laws that a father cannot be executed for murdering his children, nor can husbands be executed for murdering their wives, activists said.

aa/jds/hc
Old February 3, 2013, 02:37 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
Rape punishment should be more harsh. These animals need to be harshly punsihed and need to be made an example. I don't know what the current punishment and maybe someone (Navo!) can shed more light on it.

I found this from a friend's FB and the observation is interesting --

গত দুইদিনে একটা জিনিস বুঝলাম। বাংলাদেশের যুবসমাজের একটা বড় অংশ অবদমিত যৌন আকাংখা থেকে এক ধরনের অসুস্থ যৌন ফ্যান্টাসি'তে ভুগছে।
এদের যৌন বিকারগ্রস্থ'ও বলা যায়।
যৌন শিক্ষার অভাব, নৈতিকতার চর্চার লোপ, সহজলভ্য পর্ণ কন্টেন্ট, ইন্ডিয়ান মসলা ছবি এই যৌন বিকারের পালে হাওয়া দিচ্ছে, আর পাগলা কুত্তার মত ছুটছে এই যুবক'রা! এরা ওড়নাবিহীন মেয়েতে যৌনতা খুঁজে পায়, খেলার পাতায় শারাপোভার ছবিতে উত্তেজনা বোধ করে, এমনকি রিক্সায় করে ভাইবোন গেলেও ভাবে বয়ফ্রেন্ড-গার্লফ্রেন্ড!!
এদের মধ্যে সাহসীরা রেপ করে ফেলে, একটু কম সাহসীরা ইভ টিজিং করে আর বাঁকিরা গাল-গল্প বানায়!
Right, so I'm not a criminal lawyer, but the most relevant statutes for rape in Bangladesh are:

- THE PENAL CODE, 1860:

"s. 375. A man is said to commit "rape" who except in the case hereinafter excepted, has sexual intercourse with a woman under circumstances falling under any of the five following descriptions:

Firstly. Against her will.

Secondly. Without her consent.

Thirdly. With her consent, when her consent has been obtained by putting her in fear of death, or of hurt.

Fourthly. With her consent, when the man knows that he is not her husband, and that her consent is given because she believes that he is another man to whom she is or believes herself to be lawfully married.

Fifthly. With or without her consent, when she is under fourteen years of age.

Explanation. Penetration is sufficient to constitute the sexual intercourse necessary to the offence of rape.

Exception. Sexual intercourse by a man with his own wife, the wife not being under thirteen years of age, is not rape."

"s. 376. Whoever commits rape shall be punished with [ imprisonment] for life or with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to ten years, and shall also be liable to fine, unless the woman raped is his own wife and is not under twelve years of age, in which case he shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine, or with both."

So, the Penal Code, 1860 (yes, I know, it's ancient but there have been some amendments and there has been supplementary legislation) is obviously quite shockingly lenient towards 'rape'. I am particularly affronted by the idea that a man can 'legally' rape his wife.

Then, there is the PREVENTION OF OPPRESSION AGAINST WOMEN AND CHILDREN ACT OF 2000, which can be found in Bangla here: http://bdlaws.minlaw.gov.bd/pdf/835___.pdf

I'd also suggest reading this if you have't already: http://www.impowr.org/content/curren...ult-bangladesh
Old February 3, 2013, 03:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
Right, so I'm not a criminal lawyer, but the most relevant statutes for rape in Bangladesh are:

- THE PENAL CODE, 1860:

"s. 375. A man is said to commit "rape" who except in the case hereinafter excepted, has sexual intercourse with a woman under circumstances falling under any of the five following descriptions:

Firstly. Against her will.

Secondly. Without her consent.

Thirdly. With her consent, when her consent has been obtained by putting her in fear of death, or of hurt.

Fourthly. With her consent, when the man knows that he is not her husband, and that her consent is given because she believes that he is another man to whom she is or believes herself to be lawfully married.

Fifthly. With or without her consent, when she is under fourteen years of age.

Explanation. Penetration is sufficient to constitute the sexual intercourse necessary to the offence of rape.

Exception. Sexual intercourse by a man with his own wife, the wife not being under thirteen years of age, is not rape."

"s. 376. Whoever commits rape shall be punished with [ imprisonment] for life or with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to ten years, and shall also be liable to fine, unless the woman raped is his own wife and is not under twelve years of age, in which case he shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine, or with both."

So, the Penal Code, 1860 (yes, I know, it's ancient but there have been some amendments and there has been supplementary legislation) is obviously quite shockingly lenient towards 'rape'. I am particularly affronted by the idea that a man can 'legally' rape his wife.

Then, there is the PREVENTION OF OPPRESSION AGAINST WOMEN AND CHILDREN ACT OF 2000, which can be found in Bangla here: http://bdlaws.minlaw.gov.bd/pdf/835___.pdf

I'd also suggest reading this if you have't already: http://www.impowr.org/content/curren...ult-bangladesh
I thought marriage under the age of 18 is not acceptable by law...

Secondly how can an intercourse with someone who is under 14 constitutes as criminal practice but it is not criminal when the girl is 13 but she is your wife?? Furthermore it says "12" on another ACT??? (see underlined)
Old February 3, 2013, 04:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: YOURFACE

It all starts at home. The real problem isn't whether someone is educated or not (not necessarily at least). They need to be taught by their parents. Parents need to step up when they suspect their child is showing signs of mental illness of any sort. It doesn't have to be a mental illness, any distress in the child is enough. I'm not exactly blaming parents, maybe most just don't understand. Be close to your child, talk to them. I mean, they are under your supervision until 18, might as well put in some effort into parenting. Talk to your son about how to have respect another human being.Tell him that violence is never the answer. Hurting someone mentally will not make your life better and hurting them physically may make your life worse(if punished). IF you get away with it, you're just feeding that monster in you with every violent act. You're making yourself sick! It's all very cliche, I know! But it can make a difference. You have to start small. If you're a parent of a daughter do the same. I don't know of any specific solutions, I'm not a parent myself...yet. But when you're child feels comfortable enough to talk to you, they know they will always have an outlet. They don't have to seek attention else where, it's right at home. And this will create a better person long after 18.
Old February 3, 2013, 04:55 PM
Cricket Savant

Good..but you are trying to put Western dogma unto BD one. Rule of '18' doesn't exactly resonate there, dr.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old February 3, 2013, 11:44 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
I thought marriage under the age of 18 is not acceptable by law...

Secondly how can an intercourse with someone who is under 14 constitutes as criminal practice but it is not criminal when the girl is 13 but she is your wife?? Furthermore it says "12" on another ACT??? (see underlined)
Firstly, in spite of widely spouted conservative social mores might say, it's obvious that marriage and sex are not intrinsically tied. Effectively, one doesn't have to be of marriageable age to consent to sex.

Secondly, this is what the Penal Code means: Intercourse between a male and a female below the age of 14 will be considered rape (whether it is consensual or not), except when their relationship is that of man and wife, where that age is lowered to 13. If the wife is between 12 and 13, then it still will not be penalized to the full extent but will be punishable up to 2 years in jail, a fine or both.

Now, obviously some of those provisions go against the laws pertaining to 'marriageable age' but breaching that would in itself mean that the man is responsible for another offense altogether. In that scenario, the 'child marriage' would fall under the purview of the Prevention of the Oppression of Women and Children Act 2000 (quoted above) and a set of ancillary offenses as well.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Bangladesh law does not appear to define nor criminalize spousal rape. Is my reading correct?
Old February 4, 2013, 12:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: YOURFACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Good..but you are trying to put Western dogma unto BD one. Rule of '18' doesn't exactly resonate there, dr.
that wasn't the point...