facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old May 18, 2013, 12:09 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Those of you who are expats and have Facebook go ahead and look at your and your Deshi expat friends' pictures. You would think they all live in Bangladesh. All parties, gettogethers, outings... It's all a sea brown.
This is a slightly misleading statement. It implies social gatherings that are being photographed are the only social interactions we have. There are more informal social gatherings that are not captured - a meal with just one family, hanging out at a coffee-shop with colleagues, students hanging out at the lounge or playing sports. All of these tend to be fairly diverse.

Old May 18, 2013, 12:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
This is a slightly misleading statement. It implies social gatherings that are being photographed are the only social interactions we have. There are more informal social gatherings that are not captured - a meal with just one family, hanging out at a coffee-shop with colleagues, students hanging out at the lounge or playing sports. All of these tend to be fairly diverse.
i think zunaid feels he is superior because his gatherings are likely a bit different/diverse than many of ours. everyone has their own bias like blah says.... that staement was his bias.

and having friends that all look like you do not make you racist....we are stretching the definition here to pure ridiculousness.......
Old May 19, 2013, 12:52 AM
Cricket Savant

Absolutely agree with blah. But I still believe inherently Humans are GOOD. All the positive traits are there. Then again studying Zen Buddhism and Hinduism, ultimately it's mu, neti-neti, 42, bk's penii, what not.

But I must say growing up there was no so much hate and bias against India and Pakistan unlike the present day HATE FUELED resurgence.

Heck, after one day of India-Pakistan match I came home and there was a relative of mine who thought it was "cool" to support Pakistan. Now knowing Bangladesh's history and culture I know how flagrantly shocking that statement must appear now.

While it is fully aware and cognizant to be the past and history, but lately from my experience in forum, some people will axe some people's throat because of the past.

In my book, it's tantamount to a brother taking arms and justice in hand and going on killing spree to justice his sister's RAPE.

What irks me is not that sort of extremism that may have been in this forum, but to SKEW a CRIME by giving an AUTO-CARTE BLANCHE to do, feel, define and act as however one feels.

In my book that's what I take issues with, as, after all, ultimately, only, God, himself, can be the Judge. <---- 48 commas, homey

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old May 20, 2013, 11:48 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Not surprising the fact that India, Bangladesh and Pakistan would be amongst the top racist countries in the world. The caste and "fair and lovely" system still thrives in these lands like no other.

Same goes for the expats. How many of you wouldn't oppose your sister/daughter marrying a black (muslim and professional) man?
Old May 20, 2013, 12:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by banCricFan
Same goes for the expats. How many of you wouldn't oppose your sister/daughter marrying a black (muslim and professional) man?
Do you understand concept of culture? I am now gonna put it on you as I think I know whats more important to you.... If you oppose/do not like your sister marrying a non Muslim are you a religious bigot/fundememtalist/prejudiced ? Any better word?

The way you guys are defining racism we will all end up being one. Now it stands as either you are a open minded brain falling liberal or a racist .
Old May 20, 2013, 01:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
Do you understand concept of culture? I am now gonna put it on you as I think I know whats more important to you.... If you oppose/do not like your sister marrying a non Muslim are you a religious bigot/fundememtalist/prejudiced ? Any better word?

The way you guys are defining racism we will all end up being one. Now it stands as either you are a open minded brain falling liberal or a racist .
Mi no comprendo cultura...midumb.

If you're a vegan or a vegetarian no harm you turning down a meatfest dawat as it goes against your dietary dictates or conviction. You shouldn't be labelled a bigot willy-nilly. Religious dictates and requirements are the same -be it Hinduism or Islam. Thats why I included "muslim and profession" in my last post as most members here are muslims. I could have added Hindu and pro just as well...

As far as I know, there isn't a written law in Bongo or Bharatia cultura discouraging inter-racial marriages. In fact, deshi bhaisaabs with "gura bideshini" or "fair and lovely" brides or spouses are something of a "success" story or seen as some sort of "achievement". On the other hand, a deshi bhaisaab with a "kala" bride....God forbid!

Lets keep it REAL, idumb.
Old May 20, 2013, 01:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan

Lets keep it REAL, idumb.
i am gonna keep it real and will stop replying to you in this thread here on because i have the foresight to know where this convo will end up with you on the otherside......

i like to defend my bangalee brothers when someone accuse us of being racist..... maybe thats just me, falsely proud....
Old May 20, 2013, 08:05 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Relax - Hong Kong and Bangladesh may not be as racist as suggested by the world map on racial tolerance published last week.

The map, made by The Washington Post based on data from the World Values Survey, showed 71.7 per cent of Bangladeshis and 71.8 per cent of Hongkongers did not want a neighbour of a different race.

"In both cases, World Values appears to have erroneously posted the incorrect data on its website," the US newspaper wrote in a correction this week. "The figures for Hong Kong and Bangladesh should be substantially lower at 26.8 per cent and 28.3 per cent respectively."
Quote:
The error has raised questions about the validity of the entire exercise.

"I think the Hong Kong and Bangladesh figures were misinterpreted due to a mistranslation of the answer codes," said University of Hong Kong sociologist Ng Chun-hung, who conducted the Hong Kong survey for the project in 2005. "I have written to the World Values Survey team [asking it] to withdraw the Hong Kong tables for the moment and upload amended ones later on." He added it was a "bit dangerous," to use just one question to draw a conclusion, because different cultures could interpret answers differently.

"[World Values] is a rather loose network of scholars and the way the surveys were done would depend on the resources available to each scholar," he said. "

The error in the Bangladesh results was discovered by Ashirul Amin, a PhD student at Tufts University in the US. The Hong Kong error, found by Chinese-speaking users of internet forum Reddit, was flagged by Engadget Chinese editor Richard Lai.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...ce-data-survey

Old May 20, 2013, 08:21 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Where do we stand in the racism league ? Because if you are one of least racist country in whole world I will jump up and down.
Old May 20, 2013, 08:24 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
Where do we stand in the racism league ? Because if you are one of least racist country in whole world I will jump up and down.

This is the updated map

Quote:
• India and Jordan by far the least tolerant. In only two of 81 surveyed countries, more than 40 percent of respondents said they would not want a neighbor of a different race. This included 43.5 percent of Indians and 51.4 percent of Jordanian. (Note: World Values’ data for Bangladesh and Hong Kong appear to have been inverted, with in fact only 28.3 and 26.8 percent, respectively, having indicated they would not want a neighbor of a different race. Please see correction at the bottom of this post.)
Quote:
Correction: This post originally indicated that, according to the World Values Survey, 71.7 percent of Bangladeshis and 71.8 percent of Hong Kongers had said that they would not want a neighbor of a different race. In fact, those numbers appear to be substantially lower, 28.3 percent and 26.8 percent, respectively. In both cases, World Values appears to have erroneously posted the incorrect data on its Web site. Ashirul Amin, posting at the Tufts University Fletcher School’s emerging markets blog, looked into the data for Bangladesh and discovered the mistake. My thanks to Amin, who is Bangladeshi and was able to read the original questionnaire, for pointing this out. His analysis is worth reading in full, but here’s his conclusion:
The short answer is, yes, someone did fat finger this big time. “Yes” and “No” got swapped in the second round of the survey, which means that 28.3% of Bangladeshis said they wouldn’t want neighbors of a different race – not 71.7%.
26K Facebook likers and 2.5K Tweeters, take note.
Amin adds, “Bangladeshis are a tolerant bunch — it’s ok to come visit.” The error in the Hong Kong data, first discovered by Chinese-speaking users on Reddit, was flagged by Engadget Chinese editor Richard Lai. Ng Chun Hung, a University of Hong Kong professor who was the principal investigator on World Values’ survey there, confirmed via e-mail that the data had been transposed on the survey company’s Web site. He added that he has written the World Values Survey team to alert it to this and ask it to remove the faulty data. My thanks to him, as well as to Lai and the Reddit users who dug through original Chinese-language survey forms to demonstrate the error.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ant-countries/

Old May 20, 2013, 08:49 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

UK 0 to 4.9 %

Amare baccha pula paise.

majority of leading opinion poll about immigration in UK suggest we dont want immigrant anymore.

http://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk...-level-concern

^^^ This does not mean they are racist.

Britain 'a racist society' - poll

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1993597.stm

Is Britain a racist nation? One in three Brits 'admits to being racist', according to poll

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2Tt3fsPb6

I would say UK falls under 50% to 55% bracket.

UKIP is a new political party in UK. It is too early to judge them but they have recently shocked the whole country by winning 140 seats in local council election.

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2013/...sm-accusations
Old May 20, 2013, 08:51 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

I request the mod/admin to change the thread title Please.

Edit: I see a great man has already done it. Thanks
Old May 20, 2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiators
The fact that thousands of people from the subcontinent are getting PR is yet more proof of this, but while overt displays of racism might be far and few, there is plenty of innuendo under the surface.
One of the things about Australia is that people and the demeanor here is quite rough and not very polite. But they don't mean to be rude, it's just they have a low standard for what passes as ok. (Look at their cricket team and how many ppl hate them because they're such arrogant bastards). This is very different from US where we draw a line on what's rude, what's racist and what's impolite in demeanour and behaviour. Often times non-Australians will interpret this as in-your-face 'racism', when it wasn't intended as such.

The other thing is, Australia did not have its Rosa Parks and Civil Rights movement, or it's 'holocaust'. So to me much of their liberal sentiments against discrimination and racism seem to be borne out of moral stands and importing a story of the US and European immigrant experience, rather than a nation-defining first hand experience of a group loudly fighting for their rights.

Both of these arguably make Australians seem more 'racist'... they don't draw the line where North Americans do, and they don't in general behave PC about everything. Add to that many white Australians are, yes, racist and xenophobic. So all in all they'll scream and shout things that the rest of us will be appalled at. So does that make Australia more racist than UK or USA? I would say no.... Just that as someone said they will hide it better than the Australians.

Fun fact: many White Brits dream of immigrating to Australia because they idealise this place in their minds as a heaven to getaway from it all. Then they come to Melbourne and see us 'curry' and 'chinks' all over and get disappointed! I was passed comments on a tram by 2 English young guys a few years ago. Rather than react my gf (now wife) and i went about minding our own business. This made them more irritated. I enjoyed their misery.

Also see this post.
Old May 21, 2013, 08:25 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb

i like to defend my bangalee brothers when someone accuse us of being racist..... maybe thats just me, falsely proud....
Ah...thats where the problem lies...in my eyes. We shouldn´t defend the undefendable. Rather than sweeping under the carpet it would be more appropriate and couragious to admit and tackle these issues. We can't be emotional like our Bangali cricketing brothers. I don't get picked for the national team after scoring a 50 or a 100 in a faltu match; I retire. And so on...

It doesn't give me any added pleasure to admit that many of my fellow Bangalee brothers are blatantly racist often the more "educated" ones. Maybe its not as bad as our neighbouring countries but still...

Heal the world,
Make it better place ,
For you and I and the entire human race...

Keep it REAL. Amra hokkol Syloti
Old May 21, 2013, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Nicely said BCF. I'll be an honorary Siloti for today. I do have a robust and famous sylhetti family branch though.
Old May 21, 2013, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
It doesn't give me any added pleasure to admit that many of my fellow Bangalee brothers are blatantly racist often the more "educated" ones.
Does one's education have a direct relationship with his/her degree of racism? Take crackhead Anastasia, high school dropout from downtown Toronto East, who is white but has a black partner and had a Latino partner, as an example.

Now I know you might be thinking Anastasia is a black name and that I'm kidding you. "Stereotype!" I yell.
Old May 21, 2013, 10:37 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Alastair Cook

This is a stupid survey !!
Saudi Arabia more tolerant than Bangladesh??
joke of the day !!

I lived in both places and those arabs are the most racist without doubt, in a level that you cannot imagine until you go visit there.
Old May 21, 2013, 11:24 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

how come India is one of the most racist?
Last time I checked the country was full of white chicks.
Old May 21, 2013, 11:33 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
how come India is one of the most racist?
Last time I checked the country was full of white chicks.
You watch too much IPL.
Old May 21, 2013, 11:51 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
You watch too much IPL.
& Bollywood mubhiz
Old May 21, 2013, 01:10 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Men in Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
& Bollywood mubhiz
& you need to turn down your TV's brightness.