facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 5, 2011, 08:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib
Default Bangladesh Cricket: the little drop of happiness

In a country where natural disasters occur every year, where road accident and deaths are so common that it doesn't even cause a stir at times, it is a sport that keeps on bringing a smile on the faces of the people. A country which is often the headline for wrong reasons, cricket stays as an exception at times.

Why I say this? I went through the daily star's "year in pictures" today, and all I could see were buses in lakes, trains on fire, people crying over the death of their loved ones. And the only pictures that lifted my mood were involving cricket.

I have said this earlier, cricket is much bigger than sports in Bangladesh. The aussies have lost the ashes, the locals will swear for a while grab a beer at the end of the day and get back to a stationary life afterwards. If Bangladesh loses a game, the people loses one of the only chances to rejoice. I hope Bangladesh cricket team realizes this and brings home the world cup in March April.

Edit: Sorry Naimul bhai, I forgot that the world cup goes on for one and a half eternity. And thanks for the kind words bhais

Last edited by beshideshi; January 6, 2011 at 01:10 AM..

Old January 5, 2011, 08:25 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Salaam BeshiDeshi bhai, Salaam!

Jago Banglaar Bagh jege utho!
Old January 5, 2011, 08:52 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Champion

My respect and love for you beshideshi bhai! One of the more meaningful posts I have read in BC of late.
Old January 5, 2011, 09:07 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

could not have said any better !

btw, final is in April
Old January 5, 2011, 09:52 PM
Cricket Sage

Nice thread beshideshi bhai. I saw that DailyStar Column yesterday. I wanted to write something small about it in the BC tonight edition thread, but didn't really know how to put it words. Thank you for this thread.
Old January 6, 2011, 01:09 AM
Street Cricketer

exactly the words of my mind..cricket is the only true passion in my life,in our life...sakib tamim plz make us proud....

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old January 6, 2011, 01:35 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Yes, little drop of happiness.
Cuz we suck at everything else.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old January 6, 2011, 05:15 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Yes, little drop of happiness.
Cuz we suck at everything else.
thats not totally right..remember 4 time corruption champs!

anyway on topic..nice post besideshi vai..ur posts are always very interesting to read..thats why i added u to my friend list pretty early in th BC
Old January 6, 2011, 08:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

how true...cricket is such an emotional thing for me...
Old January 6, 2011, 10:03 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

How about get a second drop by getting a team of 11 guys to kick the damn ball and make a competent soccer team? Like Russell Peters would say - can't a population of 140 million produce 11 effing guys to kick on that effing ball? That sucks!
Old January 6, 2011, 10:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

That was one depressing end of year review...
Old January 6, 2011, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
How about get a second drop by getting a team of 11 guys to kick the damn ball and make a competent soccer team? Like Russell Peters would say - can't a population of 140 million produce 11 effing guys to kick on that effing ball? That sucks!
Football world cup hasnt been won by any countries outside European continent or South America, so that itself tells a story about football besides these two continents. Nevertheless, history is always created, and still waiting for any Asian powerhouse to lift the football world cup....hell, forget football completely, its Cricket world cup time!! let us win this first , i really want us to win it badly, would be the most emotional moment for me
Old January 6, 2011, 10:29 AM
Banned

In other words, whatever major sport event it is, i guess if any nation can get hands on that world cup, basically no one will associate that country with any negative aspects of it, for example even after the widespread problems faced by Argentina, no one remembers it for those things, rather people remember things like 1986 world cup champs, or the bitrhplace of legends like Maradona, Messi.....
I dunno for u guys, but i can feel the difference personally in the past few years as Bangladesh continues to get a better grip on this game, and commendations dont only come from the followers of the game, but also from non cricket playing countries as per my experience....but some of Bangladeshis who dont like this game try to play this down by saying its only played by a a dozen teams, but the positive effects are far more significant, and widespread!
Old January 6, 2011, 01:03 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib
That was one depressing end of year review...
Yes. But, I also believe that if each of us does what he/she can, it will eventually change. Despite the damned politicians and corrupt amlas.
Old January 6, 2011, 05:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
anyway on topic..nice post besideshi vai..ur posts are always very interesting to read..thats why i added u to my friend list pretty early in th BC
Thanks a lot nekre bhai

Also great point ace of bd bhai, Argentina, Brazil are not stable and have plenty of troubles to deal with, but the world knows them as world champions. If we can achieve something like this, it would be a great boost for the country in all aspects.

And bhais, I so dearly hope that next year's review will include more joyous pictures that are not limited to cricket alone.
Old January 7, 2011, 11:24 AM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshideshi
In a country where natural disasters occur every year, where road accident and deaths are so common that it doesn't even cause a stir at times, it is a sport that keeps on bringing a smile on the faces of the people. A country which is often the headline for wrong reasons, cricket stays as an exception at times.

Why I say this? I went through the daily star's "year in pictures" today, and all I could see were buses in lakes, trains on fire, people crying over the death of their loved ones. And the only pictures that lifted my mood were involving cricket.

I have said this earlier, cricket is much bigger than sports in Bangladesh. The aussies have lost the ashes, the locals will swear for a while grab a beer at the end of the day and get back to a stationary life afterwards. If Bangladesh loses a game, the people loses one of the only chances to rejoice. I hope Bangladesh cricket team realizes this and brings home the world cup in March April.

Edit: Sorry Naimul bhai, I forgot that the world cup goes on for one and a half eternity. And thanks for the kind words bhais
Great post!! Really made my day. Much appreciated and I understand 100% how you feel. I hope our boys will give us something to cheer about.
Old January 7, 2011, 11:57 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Lara & Ashraful

Quote:

Well said. From out side of Bangladesh, very little or none I see that makes me happy about Bangladesh. Bangladesh Cricket is one/only thing that makes me to look into Bangladesh News. Most often that little/only happiness is also hard to come by.
Old January 7, 2011, 02:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Great post to charge up the players and the fans emotionally but knowing our players’ mental frailty, this could back fire. I mean, these kids haven’t even gained the mental calmness requires to face the steep challenge thrown at them by the superior opponents; to add an additional pressure such as winning the WC for the whole nation on the notion of cricket being the only way to rejoice could totally make them mentally fragile.

First of all, winning the WC for Bangladesh is very difficult (almost close to impossible) and 2nd this kind of emotional value can only be put on the minds that are tough as steel but lacking the motivation. I don’t think our players lack the motivation, they just lack mental strength more than the skill required to win this WC.

I say our cricketers should take each game at a time and try to win at all cost without thinking too much of the consequence. Having a plan wo win the war but losing the battle may not work all that well for us.

I am sorry if my post sounds pessimistic but I just want everyone, including our players, to expect reasonably.
Old January 8, 2011, 04:59 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quote:

Top post. Most could relate to this.
Old January 8, 2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
I went through the daily star's "year in pictures" today, and all I could see were buses in lakes, trains on fire, people crying over the death of their loved ones. And the only pictures that lifted my mood were involving cricket.
I guess they countered the negatives with positive photos on today's Star Insight issue, with photos of Indomitable Bangladesh.

http://www.thedailystar.net/starinsi...1/01/index.htm
Old January 8, 2011, 08:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Manc
Great post!! Really made my day. Much appreciated and I understand 100% how you feel. I hope our boys will give us something to cheer about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahms
Well said. From out side of Bangladesh, very little or none I see that makes me happy about Bangladesh. Bangladesh Cricket is one/only thing that makes me to look into Bangladesh News. Most often that little/only happiness is also hard to come by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
Top post. Most could relate to this.
Thanks guys, really appreciate it. I am sure we all here feel the same way about the team.
Old January 8, 2011, 10:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaar
Great post to charge up the players and the fans emotionally but knowing our players’ mental frailty, this could back fire. I mean, these kids haven’t even gained the mental calmness requires to face the steep challenge thrown at them by the superior opponents; to add an additional pressure such as winning the WC for the whole nation on the notion of cricket being the only way to rejoice could totally make them mentally fragile.

First of all, winning the WC for Bangladesh is very difficult (almost close to impossible) and 2nd this kind of emotional value can only be put on the minds that are tough as steel but lacking the motivation. I don’t think our players lack the motivation, they just lack mental strength more than the skill required to win this WC.

I say our cricketers should take each game at a time and try to win at all cost without thinking too much of the consequence. Having a plan wo win the war but losing the battle may not work all that well for us.

I am sorry if my post sounds pessimistic but I just want everyone, including our players, to expect reasonably.
I think you have summed up the real situation quite perfectly. From what I have seen over the years, the main difference between the players in Bangladesh and the players in Australia are the mental strength. Skill wise, there really isn't much separating the players[barring the test teams], but it is the difference in mentality that sets them apart.

Aussies sledge, they act like obnoxious morons in the field, because they want to win at any cost. I have never seen that attitude in Bangladeshi players till Shakib Al Hassan came to the scene, this kid wants to win at any cost. And if he can transpire this attitude amongst the other players, the team will become a much better unit in a very short time.