facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 11, 2008, 10:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.
Default Military Prosecutors Will Seek Death for Sept. 11 Suspects

Read the article here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021101227.html

Excerpt:
Quote:
The Pentagon announced today that it has charged six detainees at the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, military prison with conspiring to carry out the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and that military prosecutors will seek the death penalty for each.

The charges come nearly 6 1/2 years after 19 hijackers belonging to Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda terrorist network seized four U.S. airliners and used them to attack the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon, killing nearly 3,000 people. Two airliners hit the trade center's twin towers, one slammed into the Pentagon and the fourth went down in a field in Pennsylvania after passengers assaulted the hijackers in an attempt to gain control of the aircraft.
I was never a proponent of the death penalty. But if they do go through with this, it will do America more harm than good ... martyrdom for these "Al-Qaeda 6," anyone?

Looks like Bush is itching to execute these guys before he relinquishes his seat to liberals ... reminds me of his last days as the Texan governor.

We have found another hot button issue for the elections...

Old February 11, 2008, 11:45 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

personally i don't think its that big of an issue. most states in the US execute criminals common criminals...based on that, you'd expect these guys to be bound and quartered.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 12, 2008, 12:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
most states in the US execute criminals common criminals.
Your statement is completely false and biased. Besides Texas and a few other states; execution is rare in the USA. Anyways if these suspects are guilty then they SHOULD be hanged for taking innocent people's lives.
Old February 12, 2008, 12:10 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrequiem
We have found another hot button issue for the elections...
Lebu beshi koslaile ki hoy? Tita hoy, right?

That's what the situation has become for 911 by now. Many people, including a few Americans that I know of, just go crazy whenever they hear about 911. To them, it is something that took place, has been dealt with, lessons learned, and so lets move forward kind of issue.

So I guess, it probably won't have an effect in the US elections...unless people take the question to the candidates during their appearances in public gatherings.
Old February 12, 2008, 12:17 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar11432
Your statement is completely false and biased. Besides Texas and a few other states; execution is rare in the USA. Anyways if these suspects are guilty then they SHOULD be hanged for taking innocent people's lives.
what are you talking about? who is my statement biased against? that was most, matter of fact post i've posted in weeks here at BC...

you might be right about a majority of states moving away from the death penalty, but the bigger picture is that a few states still do it, and the federal courts still use it. if the federal courts can do death sentence it suffices for the whole country since federal courts have jurisdiction over all state and local courts. this directly at odds with the rest of the 1st world (read EU). no courts in the EU issue death sentences.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 12, 2008, 12:21 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=121

actually dude, youre dead wrong. well over half the states still have the death penalty. whether they execute convicts on a regular basis is another issue.

PS - i was surprised myself that so many states have capital sentences.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 12, 2008, 05:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Anyways if these suspects are guilty then they SHOULD be hanged for taking innocent people's lives.
Those that did the killing are already dead with the victims. As for indirect killing, for that matter Bush qualifies heavily to get lethal syringe dug deep on his bum for killing more people in the aftermath.
Old February 12, 2008, 11:01 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrequiem
Read the article here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021101227.html

Excerpt:

I was never a proponent of the death penalty. But if they do go through with this, it will do America more harm than good ... martyrdom for these "Al-Qaeda 6," anyone?
I don't know about that. We did it to Bangla Bhai. Didn't we? I don't we any backlash in Bangladesh.

btw I am not a proponent of death penalty.
Old February 13, 2008, 02:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Some of you might find this editorial from the New York Times interesting, which mirrors many of my views.

Another couple of questions you might want to ask are:
  • Why now? Why weren't they tried earlier?
  • Why will they be tried in military tribunals instead of in federal civilian courts (particularly since the men in question were not given the rights that prisoners of war are)?

Understand that I don't necessarily think they are innocent. I do, however, have issues with staged show trials.