facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old March 3, 2008, 06:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Op-Ed column in the IHT where Tasneem Khalil talks about being tortured in Bangladesh

I came across this op-ed article in the International Herald Tribune today, and thought I'd mention it here, since it seems to be an interesting bookend to the more laudatory op-ed piece (Bangladesh's model) posted on another thread. While I am generally on record as being supportive of the current administration, albeit with certain reservations, I can't say that I was thrilled by this account. Your views?

Quote:
Surviving torture in Bangladesh
By Tasneem Khalil
Sunday, March 2, 2008
STOCKHOLM:

My wife says I talk too much and invite trouble. On May 11, 2007, her observation was confirmed: I "invited" trouble by talking too much against the military-backed interim government in Bangladesh.

With a midnight ring of my doorbell, three or four plainclothes men - who identified themselves as the "joint forces" - entered my Dhaka apartment, detained me without charge, and seized my passport, cell phones, computers and documents. I was threatened at gun-point while my wife, holding my six-month-old son, watched. I was pushed into a car, blindfolded and handcuffed.

Four months earlier, in January, the Bangladesh military had installed a puppet technocrat government through a bloodless coup and declared a "state of emergency." The junta's emergency rules suspended parts of the Constitution, made any criticism of the government or the military a punishable offense, put a blanket ban on political activity, and sharply curtailed press freedom.

The military intervention brought an end to gruesome street-battles between two feuding political camps led by the Bangladesh Nationalist Party and the Awami League, and at first many Bangladeshis welcomed the de facto coup.

But skyrocketing prices, a devastated economy and rampant human rights abuses have changed their minds. Over the past year, the military has set up torture and detention facilities across the country and targeted political parties with an "anti-corruption" witch hunt that saw the arrests of more than 400,000 people, including two former prime ministers who lead the two biggest political parties.

The military intelligence agency, the Directorate General of Forces Intelligence, or DGFI, which remains the driving force behind the de facto military rule, led a campaign to establish control over civil and political affairs, carrying out overt and covert operations against opposition parties and members of the media.

After my arrest, I was taken to a torture facility set up by the directorate inside its Dhaka headquarters. Thus began my 22-hour ride on the torture train, as my captors - high- and mid-level DGFI officers - tortured me, interrogated me and forced me to sign false confessions. I was questioned at length about my work as an editor for the Dhaka-based Daily Star newspaper, as a news representative for CNN in Bangladesh, and as a consultant researcher for Human Rights Watch.
Continued in the International Herald Tribune...

Old March 3, 2008, 07:13 PM
Banned

Funny.

What Tasneem Khalil forget to mention that he stands a solid chance of spontaneous public beating if he tells the people of Bangladesh that this anti-corruption government is a thorn on his side.

"Do you want democracy in Bangladesh at present?"
"Do you want election in Bangladesh at present?"

NO - most common people would say. The heck with it all.

Corrupt politicians, their cronies, special interests, corrupt bureaucrats, corrupt NGO people - they all want this government to just go away, and give them back the good old days.

They will say anything.

All such stories must be taken with a grain of salt today. We must see what charges DGFI had against TK also. What proofs or evidences government had to arrest him of all? Journalists, media and newspapers in Bangladesh, by the looks of the reports and shows, enjoy a high degree of freedom. This you can see by looking at our newspapers daily, or by watching the barrage of TV shows that are openly highly critical of our present government.

This brings a question to mind. What did TK to have himself singled out for this?
Old March 3, 2008, 07:15 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

I don't believe those stories anymore.

Too much lies and craps.

To me, both sides lies a lot. And those who gets out of jail makes too much false stories.
Old March 3, 2008, 07:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Well said, Billah bhai.
Old March 3, 2008, 09:30 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

Sometimes I feel lucky that BD does not have enough natural resources to 'interest' anyone about the 'freedom' and 'democracy' of the general public. You gotta love the power of the media as a tool for propaganda. I won't question that Mr. TK was tortured. However, like Billah Bhai, I'd like to hear both sides of the story and find out what warrented the torture.
Old March 3, 2008, 10:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
Four months earlier, in January, the Bangladesh military had installed a puppet technocrat government through a bloodless coup and declared a "state of emergency."
Continued in the International Herald Tribune...
am I missing something. When did the Caretaker govt become a "bloodless coup"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
But skyrocketing prices, a devastated economy and rampant human rights abuses have changed their minds.
Yes it was the Govt's fault because they "magically" summoned 2 floods and 1 cyclone that destroyed crops, which increased the price (Ex. int. price of rice rose by 2 times in the past 4 years). "a devastated economy".... these people are a drama queen. While MOST countries' export fell, BD's rose by 2.4% albeit the overall economy is sluggish just like else where.

And the article "forgot" to mention the key institutional reform the CA is doing that the past elected govt couldn't do. These one sided articles are a joke. Just my opinions.
Old March 3, 2008, 10:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

To be more specific about the issue of torture on Tasneem Khalil, i was disappointed to say the least.

I think this is a problem with any DGFI or army, they tend to be heavy handed to show their dominance. The political parties can only blame themselves for this situation...
Old March 3, 2008, 11:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
Funny.

What Tasneem Khalil forget to mention that he stands a solid chance of spontaneous public beating if he tells the people of Bangladesh that this anti-corruption government is a thorn on his side.

"Do you want democracy in Bangladesh at present?"
"Do you want election in Bangladesh at present?"

NO - most common people would say. The heck with it all.

Corrupt politicians, their cronies, special interests, corrupt bureaucrats, corrupt NGO people - they all want this government to just go away, and give them back the good old days.

They will say anything.

All such stories must be taken with a grain of salt today. We must see what charges DGFI had against TK also. What proofs or evidences government had to arrest him of all? Journalists, media and newspapers in Bangladesh, by the looks of the reports and shows, enjoy a high degree of freedom. This you can see by looking at our newspapers daily, or by watching the barrage of TV shows that are openly highly critical of our present government.

This brings a question to mind. What did TK to have himself singled out for this?
This particular case is one of DGFI/Army being too big headed for their own good. Anyone who has dealt with an arrogant army captain knows what I am talking about. They feel they are a level above "civilians" and as such can beat, threaten, torture anyone they want, thankfully the upper echelons of our army are more level headed.
Old March 3, 2008, 11:12 PM
Cricket Legend

If TK was guilty, he should have been arrested, and charged in a court of law, not tortured and then released, maybe DGFI didnt really have anything credible against him?

Also, I have noticed that most cheerleaders of torture believed that TK was an "Indian agent" and was out to "sell the country".
Old March 3, 2008, 11:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah

We must see what charges DGFI had against TK also. What proofs or evidences government had to arrest him of all?

You are again mixing 2 issues.

1) DGFI did NOT charge him, hence he was released

2) We are not discussing whether he should have been arrested or not. Govt had every right to arrest him, question is why was he arrested, tortured and released ?

The reason many of us are asking questions is not because we hate this govt.

The reason is that we hold this govt to a higher level , because they are not like BNP/BAL. As such, we want to avoid getting onto a slippery slope where initially, people like TK are tortured based on suspected charges, and subsequently, someone whose son fought with the son of an army major , or someone who didnt sell land on the cheap to a general are tortured and beaten.
Old March 4, 2008, 08:57 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nannu, Ash, Mash

There is no reason to deny the success of this CTG. They have done some tremendous stuff which previous political government could not do. So, hats off to them! But they should not be beyond all sorts of accountability.

Remember that a man with a gun is always dangerous. It is even more dangerous when unquestionable power adds to it. And that’s what is going on at this moment with BD army and DGFI.

I do not know too much about TK, he may or may not be involved in yellow journalism, but I do know for sure that DGFI had no justification to kidnap and torture a journalist just because they (DGFI) thought that TKs reports hampered the image of patriot BD armed force and were anti-state! This is not at all acceptable.

While we have to keep supporting the current CTG for their good work and we also have to make sure that these guys (specifically the military, not the civil administration) don’t turn out to be another monster. TE case is just an eye opener for us to visualize what may happen if man or a group (like army, DGFI) starts abusing too much power.
Old March 4, 2008, 10:09 AM
Cricket Sage

Thanks Saad for bringing this issue here.

Human Right Watch published a Report a while ago where “Tasneem Khalil’s case was presented in details including one picture of his tortured body was shown.

http://hrw.org/reports/2008/bangladesh0208/

Now all our true picture will come up. Hopefully this thread will expose some of us how we are divided as a nation and how we are blind to such kind of brutality that we feel the need to justify these kind of brutality at any cost.

We talk often about the people... who are the people here? The people in Gulshan and Banani, Dhanmondi, Cantonment and even Uttara, the People of Dhaka? Or the whole nation? "Election' or 'No Election' How we are so sure that we know what the whole nation wants? Who gave us that right to mis-represnt them and use 'the people' so often without any stat to backup?
Looks like torture is good as long its done to someone else.... and we will justify that at any cost. But what happens when its done to you. your brother or your dad? Don't cry and come back here for sympathy at that time, becuase it will be too late.
Old March 4, 2008, 03:17 PM
Banned

I think I've seen this name in many anti-Bangladeshi propaganda sites and blogs during the BNP years.
Old March 5, 2008, 03:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal

We talk often about the people... who are the people here? The people in Gulshan and Banani, Dhanmondi, Cantonment and even Uttara, the People of Dhaka? Or the whole nation? "Election' or 'No Election' How we are so sure that we know what the whole nation wants? Who gave us that right to mis-represnt them and use 'the people' so often without any stat to backup?

Very well said, Fazal Bhai,

we often hear someone coming along and saying "the people support torturing Tasneem Khalil", "the people would gladly have military rule", "everyones happy back home", more often than not it is a few elitists who think they have the authority/mandate to speak on behalf of the entire nation.

I am not talking about supporters of this torture case only, I also mean BNP/BAL apologists who used such rhetoric in the past; "desh bashira hortal chaye" etc.
Old March 7, 2008, 02:47 PM
Club Cricketer

Mr Khalil's account contains too many "stories" not much substance. Like this excerpt of his article :

Quote:
As a journalist, I reported and commented on extra-judicial executions and torture by the Rapid Action Battalion, a paramilitary force; persecution of Ahmadiya Muslims (a heterodox sect of Islam) by extremist-Islamist groups with the active patronage of intelligence agencies; military repression in the region known as the Chittagong Hill Tracts in southeaster Bangladesh; and, perhaps most dangerous, sponsorship and patronage of Jihadist outfits by the DGFI and the National Security Intelligence agency.
This is a very typical line of argument against Bangladesh army . This kind of rhetoric resonates well with self proclaimed "progressive" circle of the country. Have seen this kind of fictitious Army link to "Islamists" and "terrorists" in many blogs and suprisingly sites like Bharat Rakshak. Co-incidence?

As for one of the poster who claimed Mr Khalil's innocence and thought him not being charged with any crime is the indication that he was just a mere victim should read the following excerpt of the article he wrote:

Quote:
News of my arrest sparked an outcry. I was fortunate that CNN, The Daily Star and Human Rights Watch stood by me and worked to secure my freedom. A network of bloggers and activists engineered a global campaign demanding my release. Foreign governments lobbied the Bangladeshi authorities. Within 24 hours of my detention, in an unprecedented move, the DGFI set me free. I went into hiding with my family. Eventually, we were allowed to fly out of the country and found a refuge in Sweden, where the authorities offered us political asylum.
The key here is Foreign Governments lobbied for his release. I wonder why foreign governments lobby for the release of particular journalist whereas many other politicians, ex civil servants and other real victims are harassed , detained without any charge and indicted on ridiculous charges by the Military Government these foreign Governments supporting and keeping alive. I wonder

I am in no way supporting Military Governments action during the past year or so. Quite frankly, I hate the fact that our military is more concerned about what Foreign Governments have to say in our internal affairs than our own population. Peoples voice has been suppressed under emergency rule, price of essential products are sky high. Bangladesh Military should definitely go through some sort of cleansing process if and when a democratically elected government comes to power.

But I don't have any sympathy for people like Mr Khalil whose sole purpose is to demonize military for his friends ( foreign governments ). There are plenty of reasons out there for us to criticize Military and DGFI. The list of reasons Mr khalil provided is biased and does not serve the interest of Bangladesh.