facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 20, 2012, 03:16 PM

Default Please Define "Winning Combination"?

It seems our team management (BCB, coach, captain, selectors) will not learn anything from previous experience! We lost Asia Cup 2012 only due to "winning combination" theory IMHO.

Any other country might drop the non-performers and bringing in the alternative options. Why don't we?

It's time to re-think about Mash and Abul seems not ready for international cricket.

I hope Shane looks for other alternative in our pace department and help grow Abul, Al-Amin, Shafiul, Rubel, Nazmul and others. Or, time to look for a new bowling coach.

Time to DO someting if we are not already late!!

Old July 20, 2012, 03:20 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Winning combination is a system of free rides where repeat underperformers get to ride the coattails of other people's success. So as long as we have performers giving us victory, we'll have advocates of the aforesaid system. They're never the smartest cookies in the jar but that's another story.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old July 20, 2012, 03:22 PM

Nice one Sohel bhai

Now we need two openers to replace Ash and TI

for T20
Old July 20, 2012, 03:25 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

The underperformers, being dangerously weak links in the proverbial chain, will inevitably lose us games and will be discarded. Unless of course Jamie Siddons happens to be coach.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old July 20, 2012, 03:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

Good Thread Kalpurush! I am with you on this 100%.
Old July 20, 2012, 03:47 PM

Its time coach Pybus(spell) show his color.
Old July 20, 2012, 03:51 PM
First Class Cricketer

good T20 team:

tamim (he must play i think)
junaid
shakib
nasir
mushfiqur
mahmudullah
ziaur
razzak
sunny
shafiul
rubel.
Old July 20, 2012, 04:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

"Winning Combination" means free rides for the "non performing" selectors and players. Since the team won somehow, the selectors can now eat Indian or Chinese Buffet or Goat Biriyani and take an 18 hour sleep. Thanks to "winning combination" there is no need to find backup or alternate "performing and capable" players, no need to plan for any backup resources like pacer/batsmen hunt, instead allow free rides for non performers for the cost of the true performers...

It also means the selectors are not smart enough to realize every game is different based on the opposition. New player lineups/skillsets are needed based on the opposition/condition strength etc...

It is hard work to do opposition homework...but why put extra effort? Thats why the salary of the players and the selectors/coaches should be performance based. When that happens then you will see how hard everbody works!
Old July 20, 2012, 04:36 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Dropping Abul now would just be stupid. They should've thought about whether he is ready for Int or not before giving him a cap. Dropping him now would be the worst thing to do to this young fella. We never learn. So many raw talents got wasted like this.

Abul should bowl all his overs in the next 3 matches. I don't care if he goes for 50 runs/match, it's a stupid practice series. Now that he is here, he needs a fair chance. If he goes well, great. If he doesn't, well he would know that he has lot to work on and he wasn't unfairly benched.

And IDK why every other new kid that comes along gets to play ahead of Nazmul. That makes no sense. He is bod-duwa-ing them.
Old July 20, 2012, 05:28 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

thing is with the way things are going with our pacers atm we needed to try a couple more options that haves tried, but we can't since they're not in the squad. babu and al amin are definitely 2 players that were worth testing out before the t20 world cup. anamul could have been given another series, mominul/shuvagata could have been tested. i think abul has been selected after such a poor series is simply for his pace, he is the only option atm for the selectors if they want someone with pace in the squad.

now i wasn't completely against abul getting another shot in this series, i mean give him a decent run that is fair enough, but they should be doing that will all possible squad selections. giving anamul just that one series was silly, and if they're series about mominul and shuvagata for the t20 world cup squad then they should have been in this squad in ireland.

nazmul should be playing every game from now on. mash has failed, abul has failed, shafiul is just coming back and is no guarantee.

oh and we might have to re-think tamim for t20Is, he's a talented batsman but average of 13 in 17 matches highest score of 32, serisouly mate that's not good enough, surprised he hasn't once got more than 32, and his strike rate is only 90 (partly due to not being at the crease much but still).

also nasir hossain batting average of 111 in t20Is yeah buddy! lol
Old July 20, 2012, 06:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Combination that you need to stick to, when you don't have confidence on your reserves.
Old July 20, 2012, 06:36 PM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

Winning Combination= A shortcut for avoiding discussion/ argument/ analysis regarding team selection
Old July 20, 2012, 06:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

In this case I would like to quote our 'beloved' coach Siddons, " Its not like we left out a Tendulkar, McGrath out there"... Certainly, we are referring to the pacers here since rest of the squad pretty much contributed either of the matches. Look, the fact is even Pybus knows that and he openly mentioned that there are few positions for grabs. He is giving the players enough chances to prove themselves without changing the team too often.

So far, it worked with Tamim+Ashraful combo, Nasir moving up, Zia coming late; So the weaklink really is who will be the 2 pacers of the team. As Pont menioned in the other thread, the depth is really not there for us. So we have to give Abul a chance to see if he has the fire in the belly ( or should he be fired). Nazmul is most likely to play tomorrow and if he performs, I think they will keep using him against Scottland/Netherlands (until, God forbid but it will happen as we know it, he gets injured again)
Old July 20, 2012, 07:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Selectors arent going to drop Tamim. He is one of the senior members of the team. But yes i dont think he is comfortable in this format unless he can unleash and play like he use to back in the early days of his career but i doubt that it would be successful. I would definitely try Jahurul in place of Tamim. Jahurul has performed with the limited game time he has had.

1. Jahurul Islam
2. Mohammad Ashraful
3. Shakib Al Hasan
4. Mahmudullah
5. Mushfiqur Rahim
6. Nasir Hossain
7. Ziaur Rahman
8. Mashrafe Mortaza
9. Abdur Razzak
10. Elias Sunny
11. Abul Hasan

As much as i love Nazmul i have to agree with Dilscoop. We dont want to lose Abul and we also dont want to dent his confidence. Just imagine being dropped because you didnt perform in 2 matches. That would really put the boy down. I am really happy that Shakib bats at no. 3. Thats what i wanted for a long time because it solves the no. 3 problem we have been having for a while. But i highly doubt he will be batting at no. 3 in ODIs or Tests.
Old July 20, 2012, 08:17 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Selectors arent going to drop Tamim. He is one of the senior members of the team. But yes i dont think he is comfortable in this format unless he can unleash and play like he use to back in the early days of his career but i doubt that it would be successful. I would definitely try Jahurul in place of Tamim. Jahurul has performed with the limited game time he has had.

1. Jahurul Islam
2. Mohammad Ashraful
3. Shakib Al Hasan
4. Mahmudullah
5. Mushfiqur Rahim
6. Nasir Hossain
7. Ziaur Rahman
8. Mashrafe Mortaza
9. Abdur Razzak
10. Elias Sunny
11. Abul Hasan

As much as i love Nazmul i have to agree with Dilscoop. We dont want to lose Abul and we also dont want to dent his confidence. Just imagine being dropped because you didnt perform in 2 matches. That would really put the boy down. I am really happy that Shakib bats at no. 3. Thats what i wanted for a long time because it solves the no. 3 problem we have been having for a while. But i highly doubt he will be batting at no. 3 in ODIs or Tests.
yes well they did that to anamul didn't they? i agree it's not a good thing to do, if you give someone a run in the team then they need at least 5 matches.

as far as shakib at #3, he can do it in the shorter formats, for tests though the thought would have to be very thorough imo, he's our main bowler and bowls a lot of overs and then if he's our #3 in tests he'll also be expected to be our main batsman, physicallyt and mentally those roles in the team are draining even if you just do one of them.

mushy potentially could be a #3 also but like shakib he has multiple roles as keeper and also now as captain, it's not very often wicket keepers bat higher than #7 in tests because of the physical demands it has on the body.
Old July 20, 2012, 08:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Miler/warner/Ryder/maxweL

Nice thread. I am not in favor of winning combo either. Kp and shohel nicely said
Old July 20, 2012, 09:14 PM
Cricket Guru

winning combo is fine as long as all of the players are capable and have proven records, it's different if you have uproven players in the XI and/or players who have a poor record. not every player can perform every match, but regardless the best XI should always walk out onto that field.
Old July 20, 2012, 11:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Now that the series is in the bag, I say drop Mash and give Zia some bowling. If series was not won then I'd ask to drop Abul and keep Mash just for his batting ability. But young Abul needs to be given little more chance to find his feet in International cricket. Raw pacers are somewhat like leg spinners, needs to be nurtured, especially in our country where most of the trick of trade is learnt at this level.
Old July 21, 2012, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Dropping Abul now would just be stupid. They should've thought about whether he is ready for Int or not before giving him a cap. Dropping him now would be the worst thing to do to this young fella. We never learn. So many raw talents got wasted like this.

Abul should bowl all his overs in the next 3 matches. I don't care if he goes for 50 runs/match, it's a stupid practice series. Now that he is here, he needs a fair chance. If he goes well, great. If he doesn't, well he would know that he has lot to work on and he wasn't unfairly benched.

And IDK why every other new kid that comes along gets to play ahead of Nazmul. That makes no sense. He is bod-duwa-ing them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by betaar
Now that the series is in the bag, I say drop Mash and give Zia some bowling. If series was not won then I'd ask to drop Abul and keep Mash just for his batting ability. But young Abul needs to be given little more chance to find his feet in International cricket. Raw pacers are somewhat like leg spinners, needs to be nurtured, especially in our country where most of the trick of trade is learnt at this level.
Well, I am with you too to give a fair chance to the new comers. But some times winning a match is more important than everything else. Otherwise, no teams will be wanting to play against us ( look at our Test situation!)