facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old August 20, 2005, 04:54 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default Trained in foreign lands, they spread inland

This is absolutely shocking. I know many members still have a hard time to accept the grave situation in our beloved country. Are we heading towards a 'religious' civil war?

"..The Daily Star investigation spread over several months has found over 30 religious militant organisations have set up their network across the country since 1989 with the central objective of establishing an Islamic state. Many of them have given armed training to their members to conduct jihad..."

"..These militant organisations are Harkatul Jihad, Jama'atul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB), Jagrata Muslim Janata, Bangladesh (JMJB), Islami Biplobi Parishad, Shahadat Al Hiqma, Hizbut Towhid, Hizb-ut-Tahrir, Ahle Hadith Andolon, Towhidi Janata, Bishwa Islami Front, Juma'atul Sadat, Al Jomiatul Islamia, Iqra Islami Jote, Allahr Dal, Al Khidmat Bahini, Al Mujhid, Jama'ati Yahia Al Turag, Jihadi Party, Al Harkat al Islamia, Al Mahfuz Al Islami, Jama'atul Faladia, Shahadat-e-Nabuwat, Joish-e-Mostafa, Tahfize Haramaine Parishad, Hizbul Mojahedeen, Duranta Kafela and Muslim Guerrilla..."

"..The militant members come from a varied spectrum -- several teachers of Dhaka University, Rajshahi University, Chittagong University, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (Buet), Kushtia Islamic University, North South University, and Victoria University are involved with these militant groups, mainly looking after finances, public relations, and foreign connections..."

http://www.thedailystar.net/2005/08/21/d5082101044.htm

Old August 20, 2005, 05:02 PM
ODI Cricketer

Old August 20, 2005, 05:02 PM
ODI Cricketer

Old August 20, 2005, 05:04 PM
ODI Cricketer

Old August 20, 2005, 05:06 PM
ODI Cricketer

Old August 20, 2005, 05:12 PM
ODI Cricketer

Old August 20, 2005, 05:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Well, militant political groups in Bangladesh are as old as the country herself, so I can't find anything shocking there. People getting trained in Libya and Afghanistan and coming back to join deviant groups like Freedom party is also no new news. But, yes it is very disturbing that the new wave of militias are manipulating people's religious zeal. Also the new groups are lot more dangerous because they don't have to care about maintaining good public images to win seats in the Parliament.

Edited on, August 20, 2005, 10:32 PM GMT, by TheWatcher.
Old August 20, 2005, 06:32 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatcher
Well, militant political groups in Bangladesh are as old as the country herself, so I can't find anything shocking there. People getting trained in Libya and Afghanistan and coming back to join deviant groups like Freedom party is also no new news.
Well, National and International media have been reporting over the last 4 years that Bangladesh is becoming 'a cocoon or hub of Islamic terrorist [refer: Far Eastern Economic Review 2002, Asia Times, 2003, NY Times 2005]. Unfortunately, the BNP government, a coalition government of Islamist parties and their apologists including the former U. S. Ambassador to Bangladesh, Mary Ann Peters, have been flatly denying the existence of such terrorist groups in Bangladesh although nearly 801 persons have been killed extra-judiciously till last May either by bomb blasts or by government security forces.
Old August 20, 2005, 07:43 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Saeed Anwar

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatcher
Well, militant political groups in Bangladesh are as old as the country herself, so I can't find anything shocking there. People getting trained in Libya and Afghanistan and coming back to join deviant groups like Freedom party is also no new news. But, yes it is very disturbing that the new wave of militias are manipulating people's religious zeal. Also the new groups are lot more dangerous because they don't have to care about maintaining good public images to win seats in the Parliament.

So what do your leaders of Jamaiti Islam and ISNA (Jamaiti-Islami western wing) has to say about this? Do you still think they are doing great job as you told me before?
Old August 20, 2005, 09:49 PM
Test Cricketer

this issue is getting serious. unless govt. does something soon, a civil war may be unavoidable. it may not happen in next few years, but matters will get worse with each passing day. what terrifies me is that in the midst of this chaotic situation in BD, BNP and AL are blaming each other. AL is blaming BNP for not taking action againt the militants, and w/o lending a helping hand, they are calling for hartals, and asking govt. to resign. i agree with AL that BNP should've taken this issue seriously earlier and shuld've done a neutral investigation of the incident of 21st august, 2004. but i don't like what they are doing to protest that. BNP on the other hand is blaming AL that they are taking advantage of these incidents by asking BNP to step down for their failure to stop such attacks. BNP has a point there, but that shouldn't keep them from probing the bombings in BD in recent years. i fear that while BNP and AL blame each other for their own political interests, these militant groups will grow stronger and stronger.
Old August 20, 2005, 10:28 PM
Cricket Legend

ekaturer: curious about the exact 801 count you just gave - not becase i doubt it but these numbers are hard to know for sure. the source of this data would be good to know.
Old August 21, 2005, 05:58 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by rafiq
ekaturer: curious about the exact 801 count you just gave - not becase i doubt it but these numbers are hard to know for sure. the source of this data would be good to know.
"...The present government has miserably failed in ensuring security and protection to its nationals and also to visitors. I am one of the victims of such lawlessness. I was ready to visit Bangladesh to present a paper at an International Conference in its capital Dhaka in the 1st week of January 2005. But repeated death and bomb threats did not allow me to participate. We had to take those threats seriously as a total of 801 persons have been killed and 4,613 have been wounded in Bangladesh in recent years; either by bomb blasts or by torture .

Most unfortunate, since the new government of Khaleda Zia assumed power none of the cases has been investigated properly. Only one bomb blast that killed 10 people and wounded 150 at a cultural event was investigated by the previous government and 7 people were charge sheeted. However, to our dismay, the present government dropped those charges and allowed all the perpetrators to go free. In addition, all pending investigation cases have been dropped. Under the present government, 66% were killed through extra judicial process and 80% were injured or maimed through torture by the government agencies such as RAB, Police, or/and Para military forces. The government falsely claimed that 57 people ages 22 to 57, died of 'heart attack' under its custody [most of whom had no prior heart problem] and 329 were killed by RAB, a special police battalion in 'crossfire'. In spite of so many extra judicial killings, in 2004, murder has increased in Bangladesh by 98%, acid throwing by 68% and rape by 42%. Many young girls were raped as they belonged to Opposition Parties or Minority communities. During the last 4 years there have been a total of 44 bomb blasts and grenade attacks mostly directed against Opposition Party Rallies; 17 against political rallies, 13 against Cultural events/Cinema halls, 6 against religious institutions, and 2 each against NGOs and press offices. Nearly 112 journalists and reporters have been attacked, more than 4 killed. Immediately after the takeover by Zia government in October 2001, it let loose a massacre against minority community mostly Hindus and against the main opposition party, the Awami League (AL). When intellectuals, columnists and political leaders started raising voice against such killings and cleansing, many were attacked and killed..."

http://www.drishtipat.org/modules.ph...rticle&sid=198
Old August 21, 2005, 06:20 AM
Cricket Legend

"Immediately after the takeover by Zia government in October 2001, it let loose a massacre against minority community mostly Hindus and against the main opposition party, the Awami League (AL)."

This stamement seems to have come straight out of a communist proaganda booklet
Even staunch Awami Leaguers know how preposterous this statement is.

I can improve on that The BNP are just murderers and the AL is Bangladesh's savior. BNP has commited genocide against Hindus while under AL, Bangladesh was on way to becoming a first world country.

Majority of minority community members have been eradicated under the BNP.

AL government tolerated dissent and practised true democracy . Under the BNP, we are a mere dictatorship.

Any Bangladeshi who doesnt support Hasina is a traitor and against liberation.

Feel better?

Neither the BNP nor the AL are angels. They both are perfectly willing to murder each other, and play a perpetual blame game., while our country's image goes to the dogs.
Old August 21, 2005, 06:53 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Banglatiger84
"Immediately after the takeover by Zia government in October 2001, it let loose a massacre against minority community mostly Hindus and against the main opposition party, the Awami League (AL)."

This stamement seems to have come straight out of a communist proaganda booklet
Even staunch Awami Leaguers know how preposterous this statement is.
[/quote]

I am clueless on your reaction here. I am merely a messanger posting the source following a request from member Rafiq. Your outburst should be sent to Drishtipat.org

Quote:
I can improve on that The BNP are just murderers and the AL is Bangladesh's savior. BNP has commited genocide against Hindus while under AL, Bangladesh was on way to becoming a first world country. Majority of minority community members have been eradicated under the BNP. AL government tolerated dissent and practised true democracy . Under the BNP, we are a mere dictatorship. Any Bangladeshi who doesnt support Hasina is a traitor and against liberation.
Feel better?
Yawn...

[qoute]Neither the BNP nor the AL are angels. They both are perfectly willing to murder each other, and play a perpetual blame game., while our country's image goes to the dogs. [/quote]

Aha... no hesitation on blaming the country going to dogs due to AL and BNP politics; however, carefully you took out the names of Jamatis and murderous goons of the religious fanatics.....

Edited on, August 21, 2005, 11:56 AM GMT, by ekatturerBangalee.
Old August 21, 2005, 08:11 AM
Cricket Legend

the country is going to dogs due to BNP, AL, JI, Bangla Bhai, Communist parties, JP, and pretty much every party which has tasted power either directly or through a coalition,

For that matter, I am no JI fan, however, JI has denied any involvement with the JM group, just as AL has denied its role. Why should any of these denials be more trustworthy than the other?

I never attacked or critisized you in my post. My comments were aimed at the blatantly partisan content of the webage that you posted.

For that matter, majority of Bangladesh's public opinion is for extra judicial measures against known criminals. I never heard Drishtipath complaining when innocent civilians are burned or bombed by AL hartal enforcers nor when criminals were terrorising Bangladeshi citizens.
Old August 21, 2005, 01:27 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Banglatiger84
. I never heard Drishtipath complaining when innocent civilians are burned or bombed by AL hartal enforcers nor when criminals were terrorising Bangladeshi citizens.

Before I respond to you on Drishtipat, I would like to apologize to the moderators and members of this forum for this lengthy post. If you have further questions on Dristipat, please correspond with them. This thread is not on Drishtipat. However, just like Banglacricket.com., a generation of young but courageous Bangladeshis started Drishtipat to raise awareness among us. I salute and commend on their efforts. If you want to debate constructively, then debate.

Here is the URL of various Drishtipat projects:

http://www.drishtipat.org/modules.php?name=projects

In early 2001, we successfully publicized and raised over $16,000 for the medical treatment of journalist Tipu Sultan. Sultan was investigating Feni AWAMI LEAGUE crime boss and ex-Member of Parliament, Joynal Hazari, and was almost killed by Hazari’s paid thugs.

From March 26th, 2005, Drishtipat started a new section on its website called "Tales of inspiration from Bangladesh". We are featuring stories from rural areas of Bangladesh of real people.

Uttorshuri, an internet forum for Bangla speaking from all over the world with technical help from Human rights organization, along with Drishtipat, has taken the initiative of this website as a mean of a constructive protest and to fulfill the need for documenting important historical events pertaining to Bangladesh .

On April 11th, 2005, the 9 storied Garments Factory in Palashbari, Savar collapsed killing more than 70 people and injuring many more.

Drishtipat, with the help of Ain O Shalish Kendro, has identified seven such women who made supreme sacrifices in the war of liberation of Bangladesh, but are in desperate need of financial assistance to live their lives with dignity. It is bad enough that they never got justice for the barbaric crime against them. But it is unacceptable to any conscientious human being to see them lead a life of indignity and extreme poverty.

Drishtipat is helping Naeem Mohaiemen to screen his documentary Muslims or Heretics to raise awareness for the rights of the minority Ahmadiyya community.

In September 2002, Drishtipat completed its third fundraiser for the Arsenic victims in West Shapania village. The fund collected has been a little more than what we targeted. Our original target was $3500 and we collected $3850. The collected money will be channeled to Brotee via Bangladesh Environment Network. Brotee already started mobilizing the village people to form Gono Gobeshona Dal.

The village Annada Prashad in the district of Bhola, Bangladesh, predominated by the Hindu community, saw unprecedented violence upon them immediately preceding and after the general election of 2001. Almost two hundred women were raped and hundreds of families were rendered homeless.

In December 2003, after getting viciously beaten by the ruling class, the case of Mithu is a repeat affair of Tipu Sultan from three years ago. He was left for dead. His right hand had been crushed and he has neurological problems from having been beaten on the back of his head with a chaapaati. The attack was seen as a reprisal for his reporting on the local MPs' attoricities on the local people.

September 2004: Drishtipat helped SpandaanB and Volunteers Association of Bangladesh to collect funds for the flood victims.

Recent breakdown of law and order in Bangladesh has resulted in an alarming rise of horrifying violence against women.We, like all other fellow Bangladeshis, are deeply saddened to learn about the conditions of some Bangladeshi migrant workers in Saudi Arabia. We came to know about their conditions in several internet discussion groups and are calling for the authorities to take swift measures.

Edited on, August 21, 2005, 6:28 PM GMT, by ekatturerBangalee.
Old August 21, 2005, 03:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by dawah.tabligh
ISNA (Jamaiti-Islami western wing) has to say about this?
My apology to others, I just can't help myself but responding to DT's another ignorant post. If you look at ISNA's Board of Directors, it is apparent that this is a diverse group of Middle-eastern, American, and Subcontinental people. I never heard of this organization having any exclusive relation with any subcontinental group. Matter of fact, I heard ISNA is very much disliked by subcontinental groups like Jamat-e-Islami, Ahle Sunnah, and Jamat-e-Tabligh who created their own organization ICNA (Islamic Circle of North America).

The purpose of my earlier post was DON'T BE ONE EYED TO ISLAMIC MILITANTS. Both of the mainstream parties are now playing the blame game, apparently their intention is nothing more than using the issue to win public favor while their own militant groups will be keep destroying our education system and economic sectors. This is the time to make a strong united stand against all kind of political/religious extremisms. Remind you, country's neglegence to Sarbohara's terrorism boosted the strength of Bangla Bhai and his radical party .

And DT, you better warn your own group members of intrusion of extremists among them from other groups.

Edited on, August 21, 2005, 8:31 PM GMT, by TheWatcher.
Old August 21, 2005, 08:54 PM
ODI Cricketer

Another thought provoking post on The Daily Star. More on Middle Eastern funding on fanatics and extremists imbued with the ideals of armed Islamic revolution in Bangladesh- Daily Star.

"...From outward appearance they were doing social works as welfare organisations, building mosques and setting up madrasas for the underprivileged children, many of whom are orphans.
Then they started investing in businesses in such sectors as transport, pharmaceuticals, financial institutions, real estate, media and education.
But behind the humanitarian and business façade, they were organising terrorists imbued with the ideals of armed Islamic revolution. Funding was no problem for them -- shady funders in Kuwait, the UAE, Bahrain, Libya, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia extended their hands, filling the pockets of the militant organisations..."

"...A study by the Human Development Research Centre (HDRC) has affirmed that these organisations, once dependent on foreign funding, are now big enough to gather funds internally through various businesses. According to the HDRC, these organisations earn about Tk 1,200 crore a year from their business investment. These militants have invested in a large number of shrimp farms, using fake names and a good number of cold storages in the south-western region, according to Khulna police..."

"...Saudi-based NGO Al Haramaine Islamic Institute is one such organisation that brought in Tk 20 crore through the NGO Affairs Bureau from 1997 to 2001, its annual report of 2002 said. It was finally banned in September 2002 after the UN listed it as a terror cell. Haramaine had Tk 19 crore more in the pipeline to be spent on Islamic education in 38 districts. The police arrested seven foreign citizens of Al Haramaine in September 2002 and later, under a special arrangement with a Middle Eastern country, they were taken to a five-star hotel right from the Dhaka Judge's Court and then put on a flight under strict secrecy. .."

"...Militants received funds for madrasas from UAE-based welfare organisations Al Fuzaira and Khairul Ansar Al Khairia, Kuwait-based Doulatul Kuwait and Revival of Islamic Heritage Society and Bahrain-based Doulatul Bahrain, said intelligence sources. The HDRC study said the JMJB, under a programme called 'Operation Research', received funds from Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and the Muslim World League..."

"...Laden's close associate Enam Arnot and his organisation Benevolence International Organisation, which was registered with the NGO Bureau, had bank accounts in Bangladesh. A UN report said he was a top fundraiser for Laden.

Pakistani citizen Mohammad Sajid, who was arrested for attacking poet Shamsur Rahman on January 18, 1999, told police that he received Tk 2 crore and gave it to someone called Bakhtiar. Bakhtiar, when arrested in Sirajganj the same year, confessed to police that he distributed the money among 421 madrasas for training activists of Harkatul Jihad (Huji).

Both the militants said Laden had sponsored them to develop madrasa infrastructure..."

http://www.thedailystar.net/2005/08/22/d5082201044.htm
Old August 21, 2005, 11:15 PM
Cricket Legend

EkaturerBangalee: the numbers you gave apparently came from a lecture by james littefield at MIT. Littelfield is married to the late SAMS Kibria's daughter, Dr. Nazli Kibria. The report appeared as a news story on the Drishtipat website, quoting Littlefield - DP did not claim otherwise.

Littlefield's sources for the data are unknown to me, but we seem to have been pulled into a Drishtipat tangent by our good friend banglatiger84. You could have read that news report on a RIHS newsletter or JMB website or by attending a Harkatul Jihad bake sale for that matter.

While organizations like Drishtipat go around doing their noble "this" and their idealitic "that", the forces of the orthodox right tighten their grip on Bangladesh. While Drishtipat struggles to find 75 NRB's awake enough to come view a movie on 71 so a few aged women warriors may get a couple thousand bucks each or donate $5 for disabled garment factory workers, the good professor Ahsanullah Galib claims to receive Tk 27 crore each year from his Middle Eastern masters to spread their interpretation of God's word. While groups like Drishtipat tries their little hearts out to fight for this, that and the other human rights violation, occasionally scoring a victory in court or in the media, crazed fanatics take to the streets in increasingly large numbers, being able to determine who is Muslim and whose mosque should now only be a temple.

The blind hatred along the AL-BNP divide has rendered us all incapable of logic, independent thought and being able to recognize a problem staring us in the face. I guess I could go on forever, and there was a point to this post somewhere but now I don't care enough about it anymore.

Sad as it is, the efforts of a Drishtipat or an EkaturerBangalee sometimes feels drops in an ocean. And yeah the ripple that each drop is supposed to make is poetic and should be inspiring, but sometimes, when all alone in the middle of the night, you just can't help but laugh and cry at the same time at the hopelessness of it all.
Old August 22, 2005, 04:25 AM

Perhaps the silence of our members on this thread shows how deep in trouble we are. Looks like we lost our imagination, interest or hope after being watching repeated failure from our government, rather increasing threat on "this" matter day by day. Vast majority of people has been totally cut off from current politics for a long time, so our voices has yet to be heard or reflect hardly any impact on our country's policies and our benefit. The people those who are on the street in name of politics or religion has never ever represent us ( vast majority of people ) except the time of our independence, 1971. Since after independence, we lost our rights and voices, but seems like we are still remaining unable to get it back, but only to see it taken away permanently. We ( vast majority of people ) all know about the pathetic standard of politics of AL, BNP, JP and co., and also know the fanatic ideology of JI, IIJ, JBM and co., but making their way by keeping silence and political inactivity. For example, couple of Galib and Bangla bhai can organize a fanatic group of people through our country wide, but we have none who really speak for us or represent us except that AL, BNP crap. Those people are marching on the street questioning our constitution and our fundamental rights, but we are unable to march toward AL, BNP head office or surround them demanding working together for our rights and security. As the same way we are also unable to surround JI or IIJ office demanding their responsibility and commitment to our constitution and security. In that sense, we may need hundreds of thousands of "passionate whiteguy" in this regard.

One of the reason we ( vast majority of people ) lost our powers, is because of our inactivnes in politics and because of our foolish mindset. For example, some people still believe seriously that we need student politics, whereas we lost the control and power of student politics, couple of decades ago ( to the political party ).

Now the a big question is, how this vast majority of people can properly and meaningfully get active with politics. We should find the way sooner than later.
Old August 22, 2005, 12:01 PM
Club Cricketer

Ekatturer banglai r u going to provide any background on more than 800 deaths you mentioned. The source should be a neutral one. Not any Indian source or any source writing with a vendetta against Bangladesh.
Old August 22, 2005, 12:46 PM
ODI Cricketer

You hit the nail, PoorFan. I appreciate the truths in your post. More than anything I appreciate the courage required to take an unpopular stand. But, then again, this is our country. Bombing all over Bangladesh should be a red flag. We are in trouble and the danger the country facing is obvious- you cannot give it up to the religious fanatics. It’s a tendency to treat all the “ill issues” along the political party lines and spun. Our younger generation must face the consequences. When will we stand up and demand accountability? The biggest threat posed to our culture and society by religious fanatics of all stripes is their inability to doubt or question dogma that is clearly immoral in today’s world.
Old August 22, 2005, 01:27 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Religious fanatics are higher in number not without reasons. And generally (when they are not bombing places) they have more acceptance among general public than dristipat folks.
Old August 22, 2005, 02:48 PM
ODI Cricketer

http://www.thedailystar.net/2005/08/23/d5082301033.htm

"...Initially confined to blaming Awami League for the August 17 blasts, the government has finally identified Jama'atul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) leader Abdur Rahman as a top threat to the country and ordered the law enforcers to arrest him "at any cost"...."

"...State Minister for Home Lutfozzaman Babar at a meeting with different law enforcement agencies Sunday asked them to arrest Abdur Rahman "at any cost". He also asked the agencies to compile the last two years' newspaper reports and interviews of the JMB leaders. The source quoting Babar said, "The bomb attack is just a phase in their [JMB's] gradual development as a militant organisation. They have demonstrated their capabilities. Their political interest or agenda hardly matters to us. What really matters to us is to know where they are going to hit next. May be they have plans to kill some political leaders."......"

Old August 22, 2005, 03:01 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

so whats the solution? I think BNP is/was better option then AL? SO what do u think we the voters should do? All party's r SHAITAN so people elcted the less SHAITAN they thought at that time. And i belive they havn't done anything significant yet to think other wise...

They r trying to resolve this let them do it. if they don't people can vote the other party like they did last time. Why do we have to rush every thing??? When is this gonna stop?