facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old March 22, 2007, 09:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Default TIME magazine Interview of Fakhruddin Ahmed, Chief Advisor

Fakhruddin Ahmed: The Boss of Bangladesh
Thursday, Mar. 22, 2007

Fakhruddin Ahmed doesn't strike you as a tough guy. He's mild mannered and academic in the way you might expect of an economist who has previously served as a central banker and a World Bank bureaucrat. He talks about spending time with his family and watching movies with his wife. He uses words like "epistemologically" and "baneful." But, as Bangladesh's current boss, the 66-year-old Ahmed is showing a steely resolve. Beginning last October, the capital Dhaka was struck by violent street clashes between rival supporters of outgoing Prime Minister Khaleda Zia's Bangladesh Nationalist Party and opposition leader Sheikh Hasina's Awami League. In January, a state of emergency was imposed, elections scheduled for that month were indefinitely postponed, and Ahmed was named Chief Adviser—in effect the Prime Minister—of a caretaker government made up largely of technocrats backed by the military. Since then, Ahmed has gone after allegedly corrupt former officials, beefed up the country's antigraft body, initiated measures to make the judiciary more independent, and agreed in principle to establish a human-rights council, something Bangladeshi civil society has long demanded.
For a country widely perceived as one of the world's most corrupt, the most dramatic aspect of Ahmed's rule is his antigraft campaign against the establishment. So far, more than 160 senior politicians, top civil servants and security officials have been arrested on suspicion of graft and other economic crimes. The roundup has netted former ministers from the two main political parties and, most recently, even Zia's own son Tareque Rahman. Last week Rahman, 40, appeared in court to face a charge (which he denies) that he extorted $147,000 from the owner of a Dhaka construction firm. The government has also frozen hundreds of millions of dollars in bank accounts belonging to politicians—money it suspects was illegally obtained.
Bangladeshis have followed the anticorruption drive with a mixture of surprise and glee. Newspaper polls suggest that a clear majority of Bangladeshis support the present government even though it is unelected, has banned all political activity, and has yet to announce a date for fresh elections. On Tuesday, in his first extensive interview since coming to power, Ahmed spoke with TIME's Simon Robinson in a meeting room next door to Zia's old office. Excerpts:

TIME: Why impose emergency rule instead of holding fresh elections?
AHMED: Look at what was happening immediately before we came to power. Elections are meaningful if they're held in a free, fair and credible manner and are based on a voter list that is error-free and prepared by a nonpartisan Election Commission. The absence of these conditions resulted in an impasse, which ultimately led to the declaration of an emergency; under the constitution, we were called in as a nonparty caretaker government ... While we are focused on establishing a level playing field, we are also taking measures for economic reforms to increase economic growth and alleviate poverty—we cannot forget that ... [But] our core objective remains holding a free, fair and credible election. To do that will require carrying out fundamental reforms so that the will of the people will be reflected truly in the outcome of the election.

What's your role?
I look upon myself as a champion or leader to carry out [those] fundamental reforms, to make it possible to hand over [power to] a government elected on the basis of a free, fair election. The objective is strengthening Bangladesh's democratic order.

Some people see the establishment of your government as a military coup by stealth.
Only a lack of understanding and appreciation of the situation in Bangladesh would provoke that kind of a comment. As I said earlier, the conditions under which we came to power are constitutional, and the military in Bangladesh really respects the rule of law and the constitution. Certainly, the military is backing my government. It's called upon to aid the civil administration in times of emergency—natural or man-made. That's not unknown in many [other] countries.

Why launch an anticorruption campaign?
Corruption has emerged as a great threat to good governance and, in fact, to democracy. A really free, fair, credible election has to be held in an atmosphere where corrupt means and practices do not unfairly influence the outcome. What was happening was that money, muscle and misuse of authority—the three Ms—were working to win an election.

You've gone after some big fish.
If we can successfully prosecute some of the known big offenders, we will not only earn thanks from the people but also send strong signals which will work as deterrents against future corruption.

Could either of the two main parties have gone after corruption as you have?
A nonparty caretaker government doesn't suffer from the burdens of political patronage. Whether or not the political parties could have done so, I do not know. But they certainly lacked the political will and the courage in the past.

If you stay in power long enough, you may become part of that patronage system.
As long as we are focused on our objectives, as long as we are transparent in our actions, and as long as we feel that we are accountable to the people, the threat will not be there. We have to constantly think about what our objective is, what our focus is, and the fact that the people are behind us. We cannot let [them] down.

How long do you intend to stay in power?
The Election Commission has to decide when elections will be held. Before that, there is a need to carry out fundamental reforms of the political party systems, including registration and accountability to their own constitutions, and accountability to the people in terms of what they do with the money they collect. The Election Commission is also thinking about technical issues like a voter ID card to ensure that fraud is minimized, [and even] about transparent ballot boxes. All these reforms will take time. We are committed to holding elections in the shortest possible period but there is a wide acceptance in the country that the time that it takes to carry out these fundamental reforms should really be allowed, and then you hold elections. But let me hasten to add that we do not intend to stay in power a day longer than necessary.

Those reforms could take years.
Years? Definitely no. [But] some of those [negative] conditions [need to] be removed once and for all, not just for the next election but for elections thereafter as well.

Bangladesh's recent Nobel Peace Prize winner Muhammad Yunus says he will form a political party. Is that a good thing?
As an economist, I always think that allowing better choices, whether in politics or economics or any area, is a good thing. This is what was missing earlier: good, honest candidates were prevented or discouraged from coming forward and participating in the electoral process. The more such people do [participate], the better for this country's democracy.

Do you worry about a backlash from the political parties?
Not really. What we are doing has the overwhelming support of the people. Yes, there will be losers. In any reform process there are losers. And they may try to thwart the reform program. But I wouldn't term that as a backlash.

Are you scared for your safety?
No, I honestly don't feel at all threatened.

What do you do to relax?
Work becomes a chore when it becomes not enjoyable. I enjoy my work even if I'm working long hours and during weekends. I do try to spend more time with my wife and family. I watch movies occasionally, but these days I watch more the various talk shows for comments about the government or [the country's] problems.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...601618,00.html

Last edited by imtiaz82; March 23, 2007 at 04:01 PM..

Old March 22, 2007, 10:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Very good read. If only this was an elected government then all the rubbish talk about this being a stealth coup could not be there. As far as I am concerned so far they have done everything rigth and have been very transparent in their dealings. They have not yet taken a step that general educated people of the country can point as wrong. I fully support their actions and I would not mind them being in power till the mess is cleaned up. BY this I mean till the corrupt are tried in cases and put behind bars. Imagine if we have an election after the sentences are churned out to the corrupt then we will atuomatically have honest candidates in elections. Good job Mr Fakhruddin sir.
Old March 23, 2007, 04:00 AM
Test Cricketer

wow impressive!!! i don't remember when last time anybody from Bd has given such interview except Yunus.
Old March 23, 2007, 08:33 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Very good interview, really enjoyed reading it. Take your time Mr. Fakhruddin, arrest and prosecute every corrupt politician out there.
Old March 24, 2007, 07:14 AM
Test Cricketer

He is my President. Finally a person with integrity and capability is running the show. This kind of leadership brings hope back.
Old March 24, 2007, 10:55 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

wonderfull

Can we keep him?
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old March 24, 2007, 12:38 PM
ODI Cricketer

It is too early in the game to call this government a success. They have been brilliant with a few things. However, not so brilliant in a lot of things which do not get publicized. Most probably because they are short of people. But it is true, if our CA wants to get into politics in the future, he has a very good platform already made.
Old March 24, 2007, 06:28 PM
Test Cricketer

His biggest success is keeping our country out of the hands of organized criminal gangs like BNP and BAL. That is the most important and the most hard thing to do.
Old March 24, 2007, 10:05 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shujan
His biggest success is keeping our country out of the hands of organized criminal gangs like BNP and BAL. That is the most important and the most hard thing to do.
Not really. Any government which is not democratically elected and with military backing could do it.
Old March 24, 2007, 10:26 PM
Cricket Legend

BBGun, have you or someone close to you made it to the ACC list. You dont seem too pleased with this government and keep on emphasizing on the fact that this is not an elected government. With the kind of transparency they are showing it is weird to hear such complaints when our elected governments work in absolutely opaque conditions.
Old March 24, 2007, 10:40 PM
ODI Cricketer

Shahriyar, i am sure if i looked i prolly would know sum1 who is on that ACC list (everyone in Bangladesh knows every1). Well i am pleased too some levels with this government. And in some areas definately dissapointed. This government plans to stay for more than 3 months, they know it, we know it. Why do they not hire more advisors. I am sorry, holding capturing corrupt leaders will not be enuf. They need to do more.
I do not see what kind of transperancy they are showing? For gods sake there is an emergency situation in Bangaldesh. Rstrictions on what you can do, where do u see the transperancy.
And it is true that they are not an elected government.
Old March 25, 2007, 04:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

I guess part of job of government is having to put up with criticisms of all kind.
Old March 25, 2007, 04:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBgun
Shahriyar, i am sure if i looked i prolly would know sum1 who is on that ACC list (everyone in Bangladesh knows every1). Well i am pleased too some levels with this government. And in some areas definately dissapointed. This government plans to stay for more than 3 months, they know it, we know it. Why do they not hire more advisors. I am sorry, holding capturing corrupt leaders will not be enuf. They need to do more.
I do not see what kind of transperancy they are showing? For gods sake there is an emergency situation in Bangaldesh. Rstrictions on what you can do, where do u see the transperancy.
And it is true that they are not an elected government.
bhai, apni to dekhsi kono kisutei khusi hoar lok noi. desher current situation apnar je kono so called elected govt. theke way better.
Old March 25, 2007, 07:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_dorshok
bhai, apni to dekhsi kono kisutei khusi hoar lok noi. desher current situation apnar je kono so called elected govt. theke way better.
Thats what I always say. Same medicine doesnt work for all problems. Democracy is good for societies that can handle it well, and that's not us.
Old March 25, 2007, 07:50 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_dorshok
I am not happy because they can do a better job than what they are doing.
There is not policy coherence. But just because i am not happy with their overall peroformance doesnt mean that they are doing worse than the elected governments. Plus, do you live in Bangladesh or are you one like one of us, who sit outside the country and analyse situations based on news and interactions with relatives and friends.
Old March 25, 2007, 08:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
Thats what I always say. Same medicine doesnt work for all problems. Democracy is good for societies that can handle it well, and that's not us.
I suspect you successfully defended your PhD thesis on the efficacy of democracy in different cultures from a highly acclaimed Poly Sci department?
Old March 25, 2007, 11:34 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Arnab! Is that the sort of quals one needs to express their opinion in this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
I suspect you successfully defended your PhD thesis on the efficacy of democracy in different cultures from a highly acclaimed Poly Sci department?
Old March 25, 2007, 12:51 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Haha. Brilliantly put.
Old March 25, 2007, 01:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Haha. Brilliantly put.
Quote:

"Birds of the same feather flock together."
Old March 25, 2007, 02:08 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
"Birds of the same feather flock together."
Haha. There is prolly more to it than u can imagine.
Old March 25, 2007, 02:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zobair
Arnab! Is that the sort of quals one needs to express their opinion in this thread?
It was quite an outlandish opinion IMO. YMMV.
Old March 25, 2007, 02:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I am not happy because they can do a better job than what they are doing.
There is not policy coherence. But just because i am not happy with their overall peroformance doesnt mean that they are doing worse than the elected governments. Plus, do you live in Bangladesh or are you one like one of us, who sit outside the country and analyse situations based on news and interactions with relatives and friends.
Give it a few more months, praising or criticizing them before that is a little premature.
Old March 25, 2007, 02:27 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Give it a few more months, praising or criticizing them before that is a little premature.
Fair enuf
Old March 25, 2007, 03:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Man, BBgun aka "special 1" really threw me off. Why did you change your name? Hahaha Maybe a change of name would bring about a change in nature of posts as well. J/k
Old March 25, 2007, 03:09 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
Man, BBgun aka "special 1" really threw me off. Why did you change your name? Hahaha Maybe a change of name would bring about a change in nature of posts as well. J/k
Haha.
You know who the special one is?