facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 11, 2006, 11:32 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default Our soon-to-be-retiring players vs. our future players vs. our present players

Soon-to-be-retiring players right after the world cup:

1. Bashar (from ODI cricket)
2. Rafique (perhaps from ODI cricket - age getting to him)

Our future players who have entered the team earlier than expected / hoped, and we're not sure if they'll last longer than a year or not:

1. Saquib-Ul-Hasan (he's definitely there for the future, but isn't he a little too early? We're yet to see him in Test cricket, so can't tell yet)
2. Forhad Reza (he's a better batsman than Chacha, we actually thought that Forhad Reza is a good replacement for him, but in reality, he's getting way too expensive just like Chacha vs. strong teams)
3. Mehrab Junior (can't tell, haven't seen him play yet)

Our present players (who are showing form and relatively experienced by now, to be honest, they've not quite established their names in International cricket yet, but they're turning out to be better replacements for our soon-to-be-retiring players)*:

1. Mashrafee (please read the last paragraph. you'd understand why I'm still telling him yet to be strongly established player even now)
2. Aftab Ahmed
3. Abdur Razzak
4. Shahriar Nafees
5. Russel
6. Shahadat

Any other opinions?

* On another note, I thought that since our present -status players have not quite established themselves yet, we would consider them our younger players who'd need time to develop, however, our selectors (as well as ourselves) lost faith in our more established players (Bashar, Ashraful, Rajin, Tapash, Pilot) pretty quickly opted to think them as already established, and chose to give opportunity to another lot of youngsters - Saquib, Forhad, Mehrab Jr., Mushfiqur Rahim et al, who I'm sure would've knocked on BD's door with their impressive performances in years to come, and turning the whole team into a joke - not to mention the fact that the BD team is already a joke without all these changes.

To be more precise, it was OK to give chances to these youngsters vs. Zim and vs. Ken, but against WI and SL? It was simply not on. To be frank, my thought patterns were similar to what Faruque & Co. were thinking, which is why I was supporting him in choosing Saquib and others and also supporting Saquib's impressive performance, but didn't realize it until we lost to WI today that it was all wrong.

I also should have realized it sooner that the reason of our series loss to Zimbabwe was our lack of experience and disappointing game plan (Mashrafee bowling at the depth and continuing to do so even after getting way too expensive match after match; refer to the above point - present status - Mashrafee point).
Old October 11, 2006, 11:51 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwullah

To be more precise, it was OK to give chances to these youngsters vs. Zim and vs. Ken, but against WI and SL? It was simply not on. To be frank, my thought patterns were similar to what Faruque & Co. were thinking, which is why I was supporting him in choosing Saquib and others and also supporting Saquib's impressive performance, but didn't realize it until we lost to WI today that it was all wrong.
Ya intead of Sakib and Farhad only if we had another set of Ash and bashar, we could have pulled a win today. We should rather reqest WI to let Ash and Bash play twice. Too bad the game rule of ODI is too unfavourable for BD team.
Old October 11, 2006, 11:54 AM
Cricket Legend

FW, sounds like Mash broke your heart. All your criticism are somehow focused at him today, though he is the least blameworthy BD player in today's defeat.
Old October 11, 2006, 01:09 PM
First Class Cricketer

although collectively the whole team is to blame for todays poor performance, 90% of the blame goes to Basher. during the WI innings Sunil Gavaskar was questioning Bashers motive for the game, whether he was going to attack the game, whether he has a game plan, etc etc. He once said that his body language "doesnt inspire confidense" following up with saying that it looks as if he wants the whole thing to be over and how dissapointing it must be for BD supporters to see their captain [not team] give up without a fight.

All i can say is, his days are numbered as the captain.
Old October 11, 2006, 01:13 PM
Club Cricketer

I will blame bashar,saqib and nafees in that 0rder
Old October 11, 2006, 01:35 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahid
I will blame bashar,saqib and nafees in that 0rder
Wow! Ash is not in the top three. Nice! Next thing we would see ash for priminister.
Old October 11, 2006, 01:40 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Wow! Ash is not in the top three. Nice! Next thing we would see ash for priminister.
oops ,I missed him,so many players to blame ,ok top 3

bashar,ash and saqib . nafees (4th one) all for batting.
Old October 11, 2006, 01:34 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

No need to say much about our precious oldies and current gen. players. Here's my opinion on the new generation.

Rasel = (bowling) of Monjurul Islam jnr
Sakib = (batting) Rana jnr + (bowling) Alok jnr
Farhad = (batting) Alok jnr + (bowling) Mushfiq Babu jnr

Mehrab = (completely speculated) Rana jnr
Tamim Iqbal = (completely speculated) Rokon jnr
Old October 11, 2006, 01:48 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakibul Hasan

I have a feeling that in the future Farhad will turn into a full time batsman. His medium pace doesn't seem that effective and unless he changes his bowling into something good....he will only have to rely on his batting.He is a solid batsman with good technique and a very good fielder...so we definitely need him in ODIs. To be honest I am a little upset about Saquib. With all that hype....I thought he was the next Lara or Tendul.....but I am keeping faith in him.
Old October 11, 2006, 01:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion
To be honest I am a little upset about Saquib. With all that hype....I thought he was the next Lara or Tendul.....
lol
Old October 11, 2006, 09:41 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion
To be honest I am a little upset about Saquib. With all that hype....I thought he was the next Lara or Tendul.....but I am keeping faith in him.
If you are just frustrated and lost I would understand your comment, other than that this is an insult to Lara and Tendulkar who are already legends. 6 ODIs under Sakib's belt and u already think he is comparable to the legends. We said the same things about many of our players and we can even after 40-50 ODIs they are just mediocre.

We always blame our players, but we as fan are pretty unreasonable as well.
Old October 11, 2006, 02:35 PM
ODI Cricketer

I don't know why you are not talking about Pilot. After playing 122 ODI he could not learn to hit a boundary in his 55 ball stay, do you think he is yet to learn. He scored single on the first ball of the over to expose Rasel to their paceman. He wanted to stay unbeaten. What a selfish. All these bunch of players(?) (Ash, Bash, Pilot) should be dumped without dalay. I don't care who will replace them. Is there any option of doing worse than what they are doing.
Old October 11, 2006, 09:27 PM
Cricket Legend

After today I lost all the interest to post in these bostapocha threads. We talked so many times, we talked about so many things, we dreamed lot of things but what we gained? Zero- the result is.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old October 11, 2006, 09:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

fwullah'r matha theke onek idea berosse. valo valo.
Old October 11, 2006, 10:07 PM
ODI Cricketer

I don't blame anyone but myself..for believing in a bunch of lazy "no.....shok's (fill in the gaps to complete a bengali word)". If really want to isolate some of them, here is my pick:

1. Bashar (Now I agree with Billah, totally). How could a captain be so irresponsible! Dhoroni didha hao!
2. Ashraful (Yes, he is my number 2)
3. Aftab (Surprised? Yes, he comes next in the list for attempting that 6 today when we needed him the most! Is that what he learned playing so many ODIs?)
4. Bashar and Whatmore (For sending Farhad but not KM when the team was in deep crisis)

Naffes, Sakib, Farhad - 1/2 success (which could even happen to Irfan pathan).