facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 1, 2006, 04:33 AM
Club Cricketer

Default Athar Ali Khan

After the post match presentation of the Aussie series, I heard Athar Ali Khan talk about the bench strength of Bangladesh. He said that our under 19 team is strong and good performances by them would help them earn a test cap.

Now how many countries worldwide give direct chances to their under 19 players to play a test level. I thought the next step from age gruop level was domestic level. It really emhasises the point of Wasim Akram that the problem is with the selecters.

Old May 1, 2006, 09:49 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

We see the result of this mentality on the field. It is great that we have such a good crop of players in the under 19 levels. However, we pick the best and the brightest from that group and shove them into international cricket without any support. Our selectors take this cheap shot in order to avoid spending time looking at first class matches or club cricket and pick back up players from the leagues - which is essentially every 'developed' cricket country does.

If they really want to avoid the 'hassle' of selecting based on league performance, why not set up a scout team (do we have one?) who will go around to different league (Dhaka, National, final rounds of national school cricket) matches and come back with input on the players performances. This is not as easy as it sounds. You really need to have dedicated scouts who know their cricket and who will have to go through scout training sessions through BCB. This would free up the selectors to focus mostly on the national players and observe them closely.

By the way, when are we going to have a batting coach ?
Old May 1, 2006, 10:14 PM
ODI Cricketer

Many young BD players show great potential in early stage of their career. But the problem is that when they step up to the international level the potential seems to evaporate and does not live up to the expectation. Few good examples would be Ashraful, Rajin, Alok, Manjurul Islam Rana and Mashrafee seems to in the same boat. I think this has a lot to do with the management. Bangladesh management are expecting wins falling out of the blue sky and everyone knows that it is not going to happen. They need to spend money to develop these players.
I like an escalator, man, 'cause an escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old May 5, 2006, 10:16 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

yaa, They should play more and more..
Old May 12, 2006, 11:55 AM
Cricket Sage

Atahar Ali Khan
Old May 12, 2006, 12:19 PM
Cricket Legend

I am not making this up.
I found the following profile of Athar Ali Khan on the net:

"Athar Ali Khan - A master in table tennis. Exceptionally good with women. Very recently got into the habit of smoking Cigars - thinks its cool!! Played a bit of cricket in the past. Very nearly made it to the best 75 of his local team. Very impressive at the nets. Bowls well but thinks he can bat even better. Keep trying Athar and good luck to you. "

Source: Chianmai Cricket Sixes
Old May 12, 2006, 12:32 PM
Cricket Sage

Good find Babu Bangla.

And then we have Faruq (in the same website):

Faruk Ahmed - The only member of the 'Cricketeers' who has played Cricket. A short and stocky 38 year old who was once the Captain of the Bangladesh National Team (God only knows how that happened). Never shows up for practice at the nets but boasts that he still has it in him to perform at the highest level (ya right!!)
Old May 12, 2006, 12:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

How do you guys find these things?? lol.... good stuff
Old May 12, 2006, 12:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by babubangla
Source: Chianmai Cricket Sixes
Great find! I was laughing hard while reading the profiles of all the members! Whoever wrote that stuff, has a fantastic sense of humor And the members must be great sports to not beat up the writer of profiles (unless of course each member wrote his own profile).
Old May 12, 2006, 12:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Something more from the same site:

Kahled Mahmud captain of SBSL Cricketeers (and ex- captain of Bangladesh) recieves the 2006 Sixes Cup from Tournament Director Maurice Bromley.

Crickeetrs: Team Photo 2005
From 2006 Team Profile:
Al Shariar Rokon: A Young Chap With Agression Thinks Of Himself As The Finest Batsman Of The Country And Big Hitter Of The Ball But We Hardly Could See Him Doing So. Also Represented The Bangladesh National Team.
Old May 12, 2006, 12:54 PM
Cricket Legend

I got to say sorry to Safaat for making his serious discussion thread into a funny profile posting thread. But all blame should go to Fazal.
He is the one who started it by posting the old, who knows may be from 1980's, photo of Athar!!
Old May 13, 2006, 01:43 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Na babu bhai... sephia tone a oi pic ta dekhe 80's er mone korben na pls.
80's e ato stylish sunglass chilo na.. as I think. And Athar was also not that polished looking in 80's... no doubt about that!
The photograph is given the 'sephia' tone to make it look old.

BTW.. the profiles are quite funny.. just as we all describe our own close friends all the time....lol
Old May 13, 2006, 09:09 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed_B
Na babu bhai... sephia tone a oi pic ta dekhe 80's er mone korben na pls.
80's e ato stylish sunglass chilo na.. as I think. And Athar was also not that polished looking in 80's... no doubt about that!
The photograph is given the 'sephia' tone to make it look old.
agree... because if its from 80s, then by this time Athar would have as many hair in his head as Taklu Hamid Bhai.

Old May 13, 2006, 10:35 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by babubangla
I got to say sorry to Safaat for making his serious discussion thread into a funny profile posting thread. But all blame should go to Fazal.
He is the one who started it by posting the old, who knows may be from 1980's, photo of Athar!!
At least it got some replies