facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old July 24, 2007, 03:36 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা
Default BAFI night 2007

Meant to post this couple of weeks ago.

Enjoyed my time at the Bafi Night held at the Patriot Center @ GMU (Virginia) earlier this month. In true Bangladeshi fashion, the 7PM show did not start until 830PM. It's pathetic but not sure if the hosts were late or were they did not want to 'inconvenience' the folks who were still walking into the Center around that time. The lack of common sense is amazing.

Anywho, the big draw was undoubtedly Habib. I like his music and he has a decent voice, nothing like his dad and with all the syth. don't know what his real voice sounds like. Frankly, he was also one of the reasons I went there (my wife loves his music). Aside from Habib, his dad (Ferdous Wahid, in case you didn't know) and several big name stars from BD movie/drama/music scene was present. Sad thing is, the organisers were saving Habib for the end and by the time he got on stage, there was only time for 5-6 songs.

Sabina Yasmin was supposed to be there but she fell ill and found out about her cancer only the night before. Shakila Jafar missed out as well. Both sent their greetings to the audience which was pretty nice of them.

The one's that were there are:

Jewel - host and in charge of the music and all that jazz. He started to sing one of Ayub Bachchu's songs but forgot the lyrics in the beginning.

Kanakchapa - beautiful voice. Sang some crowd favorites.

Haider Husyn - Definitely the star of the show. I've only heard the Faisha Gechi song before this program and didn't realize what I was missing out on. He reminded me of a more refined nochiketa. He definitely sounds better in concert and even though he was sitting down with the guiter, he was moving like a rock star. Something you don't expect from someone who also reminds you of your hujur.

Runa Laila - With all due respect, she was hogging the stage for far too long. I have seen her in concert before and yes, she is great. MOST of the folks went to see Habib, when Runa JI took an hour to perform the same songs she has been performing the same way over the last 30 years, it cut down on HABIB time. Maybe she wanted to prove to herself that she still has the MOJO. Who knows.

Can't remember the name of the dancer, very popular, used to dance with Nipa all the time. He danced with some fusion music created by Jewel.

Opi Karim and her partner from the drama Ekannoboti performed a - what if they met in NY - bit. Had some funny lines. Couldn't understand any of the english lines but the bangla lines were pretty funny.

Poornima and Asif ? - Bangla movie superstars did a dance routine with a 10-15 song remix. She wasn't bad at all. As for him, I can't dance so I'm not going to judge.

Habib - Performed about 6 songs. I was trying to enjoy his performance but a retard (probably drunk and troubled about his sad pathetic life) was yelling stuff like 'Laltu' and other rubbish. Idiot, we didn't pay to hear you putting your mom and dad to shame. The worst part was the other idiots sitting around him laughing at this nonsense. Class act.

Ferdous Wahid - With the GMU folks locking up the place at 12AM sharp, ferdous wahid only had time to sing one song - Mamunia. I left my seat to go to the mens room and by the time I was getting back to the sit, the organisers were telling everyone to leave the center.

Old July 24, 2007, 03:52 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Friday at Wichita kansas. Still debating is the 6 hours drive worth it or not.
Old July 24, 2007, 03:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: BD Team Players

Seems like you enjoyed the whole program and also seems like it was a lot of fun!! Good to know that!!
Old July 24, 2007, 04:15 PM
Cricket Sage

I was also there. Overall Akdom Faltu Laglo. Akdom 40 Taka ( thukku dollar) Gochha... ekdom Drainey Geloo...We spent money and time to listen to Habib and Shakila Jafar (excellent stage performer). One couldn't sing that much due to shortage of time, the other didn't even showed up.

I heard it was almost 2 hours late not because what was announced, but rather MR. President of BAFI was late. He was supposed to open the function. But after waiting close to two hours they opened it anyway hastily. Thats why the introduction of BAFI president as well as Channel I executive was in the middle of the function.

The indoor stadium was 3/4 empty. How pathetic.

I liked Haider Husyn. He is a perfect gentleman.Talked with him the previous night at the hotel. Very easy going person.

Jewel - Looked like very unprepared. Was he supposed to sing or just a filler at the last moment? Looked and performed very unprofessional.

Kanakchapa - Was ok. but not a good stage performer.

Haider Husyn - Excellent. I liked his performance.

Runa Laila - OMG she is soo fat... the stage performers from the fans (during the song shader lau...) was kind of funny. Most of them young girl except for one over excited middle aged women (??). Was she drunk or what?

Opi Karim I liked her performance not her partner though.

Poornima - was cool. She looked owsome. Never knew BD has such a pretty actress. She is young, looks great, dressed properly, has excelent figure, and danced with grace. But who was that Gattu Guttu Kind of Mota Shota Partner? Was that Ferdous?

Dancer: Thats male dance guy... is he gay or what? He looked, dressed and danced like a girl.

Habib - Kind of disappointed. His songs were kind of ok, but then again he was about to warm up. Suddenly they stopped the show.

Ferdous Wahid - He just sang one song and that was bad. Who want to hear Mamunia when you are paying money for that?

Bottom line... I am not going to go and spend my money and time again if its organized by BAFI.

Last edited by Fazal; July 24, 2007 at 04:28 PM..
Old July 24, 2007, 04:17 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

I love music and these are some amazing singers and they were smart enough to sing the crowd favorites. Having said that, I wouldn't have gone there if Habib was missing. In future, I'll go to Haider's concert, as well as Habib offcourse.

The natok bit (I've always thought we have trully talented people behind TV natoks) was a bonus. Both the dance routine was far more professional then I expected. Never been a fan of Bangla movies. I've only seen two bangla movies in theaters. Chutir Ghonta (great movie) and Qayamat theke Qayamat (DON'T ASK).

They also gave away some certificates to people who have contributed to BAFI, to Bangladesh (Dr Yunus), to our independence war (US folks). I'm assuming that they may have been writers/journalists or folks working in foreign embassies in Bangladesh during war time. Unfortunately, rather vague introductions were made and I believe that a little bit more info about their involvement would have been interesting.
Old July 24, 2007, 04:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Bangladeshi "Cultural" shows have always been disastrous. I've stopped attending them a looooong time ago. I think the last one I attended was "FOBana" Show.
Old July 24, 2007, 04:22 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Fazal - were you the trouble maker ?

What time did you get there ? See, I'm an idiot. I showed up promptly at 630.
Old July 24, 2007, 04:23 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

one think that was missing (unless it happened after I left) was MARAMARI. Always an attraction at any BD programs.
Old July 24, 2007, 04:23 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

reading comments of Tehsin: encouring
reading comments of Nasif: inspiring
reading comments of Fazal: priceless + saving (40 x 2) + 50 (gas) + 50 (food) + 100 (lodging) + using up 4 hours of vacation time = priceless + $300+.
Old July 24, 2007, 04:24 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehsin
Fazal - were you the trouble maker ?

What time did you get there ? See, I'm an idiot. I showed up promptly at 630.

Who me... no way...in person, I am a very decent looking person.

Looks like i was the other idiot. I also showed up around 6:30.
Old July 24, 2007, 04:28 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

T-E .... I wanted you to find out for yourself but FazIl had to ruin it.

If you haven't been to a BD prgoram in recent years, give it a shot. Not everyone's a big snoot like Fazal (no matter how true he is).
Old July 24, 2007, 04:31 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Who said anything about looks ? One look at Poornima and you're all worked up.

I did write that I won't judge but yes, her Laltuvultu companion is a HUGE star in BD. I actually remember hearing a few screams when he got on stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Who me... no way...in person, I am a very decent looking person.

Looks like i was the other idiot. I also showed up around 6:30.
Old July 24, 2007, 04:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: BD Team Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
reading comments of Tehsin: encouring
reading comments of Nasif: inspiring
reading comments of Fazal: priceless + saving (40 x 2) + 50 (gas) + 50 (food) + 100 (lodging) + using up 4 hours of vacation time = priceless + $300+.
Is that supposed to be me?? IF yes then I didn't even go there!! I said seems like Tehsin bhaiya enjoyed the program, not I enjoyed the program!!
Old July 24, 2007, 06:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Hmmm, I was totally unaware of this concert. Guys when something like this comes up again, can you also let us know beforehand in Forget Cricket?