facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 22, 2012, 10:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib
Default Team Review : Sylhet Royals

With Sylhet now mathematically eliminated from the tournament, here is a review of the team so far. Things may change in the last 3 games but at this point anything noteworthy will be meaningless due to lack of pressure involved. So I think this review is timely and can be considered their season ending review.

Record:
0-7 / 6th position

Captaincy:

Kapali refused the captaincy initially and Trego volunteered. Trego, though performing better than most on this team, overused himself inappropriately in both batting and bowling and eventually faced the axe not only as the captain but player as well after losing the first half of their matches. Kapali took over for one match to only watch his contribution disappear and the following game introduced Imrul Kayes as the next to lead the team to yet another defeat.

Team Stats:

- Posted lowest total to date at 120/7 vs. Barisal
- Broke 150 four out of seven tries
- Max of 169/8 vs. Khulna
- Were all out once at 124 vs. Dhaka.
- Closest defeat : 2 runs vs. Khulna chasing 171
- Largest defeat : 10 wickets to Barisal in tournament opener
- 6 50’s limited to 3 batsmen

Batting:

(note: assuming 150 to be a benchmark team total, 125 SR would be the corresponding benchmark)

- K. Akmal is the only noteworthy batsman with 226 runs in 7 innings at a 144.87 rate
- Kapali is only other batsman with 125+ SR with 118 runs in 6 innings at 129.67 (excluding Maynard and Noor Hossain due to playing only 1 innings and facing less than 10 balls each)
- Trego has 196 runs at 107.1 SR. This was a big issue for Sylhet as he faced more balls than anyone else (183 balls. 2nd was Akmal with 156)
- Imrul Kayes is the only other batsman to cross 100 runs (102 at 114.6)
- Surprises were the lack of use of Styris (only 4 matches despite being a handy all rounder) and playing Hom and Naeem down the order with no one but Akmal being able to justify their position up the order
- 6’s : Akmal 9, Kayes 7, Styris/Kapali 5

Bowling:

(note : Using 150 benchmark, 7.5 is the economy marker between good and bad)

- Only S. Tanvir (6.45) and B. Hogg (6.76) managed to keep their economy rate decent. Nabil Samad at 7.59 is on the borderline.
- S. Tanvir is also leading wicket taker with 6 followed by Trego at 5
- Trego bowled 17.2 overs (Only regulars Tanvir (22), Hogg (26) and Samad (22) bowled more).
- Next used bowler was Kapal (a total of 5 overs)!!!
- Rubel played only one match (injury) and bowling skills of Naeem and Styris were practically not used at all
- Kapali’s 3/27 vs. Rajshahi is the best figures by a bowler
- Concerns : Kapali’s figures in that match came at a 13.5 economy rate and Trego’s 17.2 overs went at 10.5 an over

International vs. Domestic:

- Failures all around with Akmal being the only exception
- Nabil Samad was the only Bangladeshi bowler really given a go with the ball
- Trego makes his presence in stats but his SR and economy rates were more detrimental than a bright spot
- Kapali had some moments but nothing to write home about

Overall, I think the team could have done better with the talent they had. Leadership was lacking and a major concern. Naeem should have been tried higher up the order and bowled more. Playing Styris in only 4 matches demonstrated poor selection. Rubel played only one match and his presence may have helped in the bowling side but that may have removed Samad from the picture who didn’t do so bad. Kayes and Kapali both demonstrated hitting abilities but failed to make them last or count.

It’s a shame for any team in the BPL to be out of the Semi Final running this early given there are only 6 teams. Team management will need to rethink team composition and look into picking more productive international players. This is a team that could have benefitted from the services of Nannes who went unsold in the auction. Captaincy is also something that needs to be looked into.

The record does not befit the team as it exists on paper. They started the tournament with a promising total to defend but were destroyed by a Chris Gayle onslaught and never recovered. The team in a way resembled everything that is wrong with the national team today (Bad shot selection, performance by only one or two players per game, individual stat padding, lack of planning etc) and with national coach Law at the helm of this team, this could be a concerning matter for Bangladesh Cricket.

Old February 22, 2012, 11:22 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

The problem with the teams started from day 1. Ownership. How come there is no conflict of interest? More of the same in near future if the same management continues.

Good analysis!!
Old February 22, 2012, 12:20 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: every quality cricketer

this should be their slogan: "Kita mato bhai, amra jodi mathe nami harboi amra bhai"
Old February 22, 2012, 01:33 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker
this should be their slogan: "Kita mato bhai, amra jodi mathe nami harboi amra bhai"
Unfortunately we don't have enough players + management speak in that dialect. Royals have missed out on big opportunity by not signing Rajin as a player. Rajin is really hard working and has been unselfishly involved in developing Sylhet Cricket for last few years, the main academy "SSCA"(south surma cricket academy) is run by Rajin. If they did not see him as a player they should have still include him in the staff management team.
Old February 22, 2012, 01:57 PM
Cricket Sage

First thing they did wrong was by hiring Law. They went for the easiest option available, cause they knew law was already in Bangladesh, so that just makes things easy. I get the feeling Law is looking at this opportunity as just some extra money on the side. He keeps buying English Players as if they are well known for playing good cricket at the sub continent. Walton was being cheap, but if they had the right management in place they could have built a good team based on low budget. First thing first get rid of Law and his 'damand' Swift, 2nd as Mo bhai suggested make Rajin be a part of the team, put him in the management or something. And than get some local talents. Don't count on only 'Bideshi's' to get you through. Why didn't they go after Enam Jr. he's having a good season for CTG, what about that new pacer Abu Jayed?
Old February 22, 2012, 10:47 PM
Cricket Legend

This should give BCB food for thought, i.e. if they are smart enough to figure it out.

With this squad i cant believe Sylhet cant even win one match. I mean look how Barisal Burners played yesterday. And performance was from some local boys. In terms of local players Sylhet has some pretty high profile players like Kayes, Kapali, Naeem, Hom etc. What do you all think? Bad team or bad management?
Old February 22, 2012, 10:53 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Bad management! Bad management for sure...Nur Hoosain because of one match he was written off!
Rubel Hossain not given a go is another indication of bad management. I think Styris was sick so that's why he was "rested".

As MohammadC bro said, Exclusion of Rajin Saleh has hurt Sylhet. Rajin can hit too...He would have surprised people in BPL(just like Riyad surprised a few blokes with his knocks) because we know the Bangladeshi mindset: "just when people write you off...obhiman kicks in )
Old February 22, 2012, 11:26 PM
Cricket Legend

I dont know whether you guys can recall but there was a time when Rajin used to open for us. He was not a six hitter, but he used to fair aggressive. He could also rotate strike. Something happened to him and no he was never the same again. Whatmore once said we need 2-3 Rajins in our team. His fielding was always good as well. But in any case he should have been the captain of Sylhet Royals. Could have been a different story
Old February 22, 2012, 11:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
Bad management! Bad management for sure...Nur Hoosain because of one match he was written off!
Rubel Hossain not given a go is another indication of bad management. I think Styris was sick so that's why he was "rested".

As MohammadC bro said, Exclusion of Rajin Saleh has hurt Sylhet. Rajin can hit too...He would have surprised people in BPL(just like Riyad surprised a few blokes with his knocks) because we know the Bangladeshi mindset: "just when people write you off...obhiman kicks in )
Rubel is suffering from back injur AFAIK. He might also not be fit for asia cup

And I think it all comes down to one thing: Lack of spirit. I see no cheering or any commitment in the team.
Old February 23, 2012, 12:44 AM
Cricket Savant

It's on FP now.

Team Review : Sylhet Royals

Raihan Hannan

With a shoddy 0-7 record by Sylhet Royals they have now been mathematically eliminated from the tournament. Raihan Hannan offers a breakdown of their performances so far concluding that the team resembles everything that is wrong with the national team and given Stuart Law himself is the coach of the team it is a matter of concern for Bangladesh cricket.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old February 23, 2012, 01:03 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Why are so many people going after Walton for being cheapskates? The squad Sylhet have, isn't the best...but it is certainly better than their 0-7 record suggests.

The responsibility for this debacle lies with the players and the coaches/management, not ownership.
Old February 23, 2012, 09:18 AM
Cricket Legend

On paper Sylhet got a better team than Barisal and Rajshahi....

I can make a team of 11 players will all having international experience with the sylhet lineup....

They missed a good SLA... Other than that they were a really good side..
Old February 23, 2012, 09:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
On paper Sylhet got a better team than Barisal and Rajshahi....

I can make a team of 11 players will all having international experience with the sylhet lineup....

They missed a good SLA... Other than that they were a really good side..
nabil and hogg seems good SLAs, though nowhere near shakib and others.

Any1 notice that the highest wicket taker in BBL has been very ineffective even at spin friendly condition, just goes to show that how top quality SLAs we have.
Old February 23, 2012, 09:46 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
This should give BCB food for thought, i.e. if they are smart enough to figure it out.
Here lies the problem. BCB President (well now her daughter) has share of Sylhet Royals. So what does that tell you? BCB is running on bad management from the top.
Old February 23, 2012, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Here lies the problem. BCB President (well now her daughter) has share of Sylhet Royals. So what does that tell you? BCB is running on bad management from the top.
I dont think it makes any difference

team management cant do anything when the execution on the field has been ordinary. And get your seatbelt tights people, you guyz might see sylhet comeback next year just like Deccan chargers who were the bottom of the chart during firstt IPL and became the champs next year! But of course they had a brilliant captain named GILCHRIST, thats what the Royals lack
Old February 23, 2012, 10:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Only one sentence from my side.This article was very well written by raynman.Waiting for the other reviews.
Old February 23, 2012, 11:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

@Zeeshan : Thanks for the front page posting

@T_E and MHR : Thanks for the compliments. Will complete each team as their season officially concludes.
Old February 23, 2012, 12:10 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynman
@Zeeshan : Thanks for the front page posting

@T_E and MHR : Thanks for the compliments. Will complete each team as their season officially concludes.
And if no other chores comes up in between diaper change. Good thing you are not at North. Would had to buy a bottle warmer then.
Old February 23, 2012, 12:47 PM
Cricket Sage

Sylhet is a Royal Pain in the rear for the fans.
Old February 23, 2012, 12:51 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Sylhet is a Royal Pain in the rear for the fans.
I will re-arrange what you just said.

"Royals is the Sylhets Pain in the rear of the fan"
Old February 23, 2012, 12:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

My take on Sylhet Royals:

1. Bad selection of foreign players. When every other teams have at least three well known overseas batsmen at the top order, Sylhet only have one. Teams are using local players smartly, playing at least two local SLAs. Sylhet is going in the opposite direction playing foreign bowlers like hogg, tanvir, keedy and trego while loading up on desi local batsmen. Collection of overseas player for Sylhet is quite laughable to be honest. Gary Keedy? Really? Raza Ali Dar? Great!!!

2. Captaincy. I don't understand why Alok would refuse the captaincy to begin with. It's an honor to lead your division when you are getting paid so much. Obviously, Law and Trego had very little idea of the local players they got and thus, failed to utilize them properly. A local captain would've helped.

Pathetic performance so far. I hope they learn from their mistakes and get some local advisors next time.
Old February 23, 2012, 09:19 PM
Banned

From Twitter:

BPLT20 ‏ @t20_bpl
"Naeem, the all-rounder of #SR, blamed their foreign recruits not to stand tall when the foreign players of the other team contributed a lot."

Scott Styris ‏@t20_bpl
"Ha. Naeem amongst others needs to have a bit of a look in the mirror"
Old February 23, 2012, 09:21 PM
Cricket Savant

We don't want to hear anything about others. We want to know why you still haven't hit those six sixes "chokka" Naeem.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old February 23, 2012, 10:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Blaming game doesn't help anyone. Eventhough Naeem is right, it sounds silly to come out from a local player who hasn't done anything yet.
Old February 24, 2012, 10:31 AM
Cricket Savant

Welcome back Sadi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
My take on Sylhet Royals:

1. Bad selection of foreign players. When every other teams have at least three well known overseas batsmen at the top order, Sylhet only have one. Teams are using local players smartly, playing at least two local SLAs. Sylhet is going in the opposite direction playing foreign bowlers like hogg, tanvir, keedy and trego while loading up on desi local batsmen. Collection of overseas player for Sylhet is quite laughable to be honest. Gary Keedy? Really? Raza Ali Dar? Great!!!

2. Captaincy. I don't understand why Alok would refuse the captaincy to begin with. It's an honor to lead your division when you are getting paid so much. Obviously, Law and Trego had very little idea of the local players they got and thus, failed to utilize them properly. A local captain would've helped.

Pathetic performance so far. I hope they learn from their mistakes and get some local advisors next time.
I thought I read somewhere Alok had rubbed his shoulder with the management before the tournament started. Salary issues surfaced in rumor mill.

I really liked Scott's response to Naeem. When team is losing you don't point fingers. Couple of 20s and he thinks he is a consistant performer.

By the way, Great win today!! Cherish it.

BCB needs to ban twitter accounts on all national players.