facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 3, 2015, 12:53 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Travel in Bangladesh

I was reading a really interesting topic at http://banglacricket.com/alochona/sh...ad.php?t=45392

What are some other interesting things to note about travelling in Bangladesh (specifically Dhaka)?

What are some good hotels? Good shopping precincts? What is the best way to get around? If there is a cricket match on, how would you get to and from the stadium? Are there many taxis around?

What are good local attractions? Interesting architecture (like British colonial structures)? Museums? Sort of food to eat?

And what is the safety/security situation like?

How long would a person need to stay in Dhaka to get an understanding for the local culture?

Old February 3, 2015, 10:19 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I'll answer these two. The rest others can fill you in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by battye

And what is the safety/security situation like?

How long would a person need to stay in Dhaka to get an understanding for the local culture?
Safety: Are you white skinned? Assuming "yes", do you have a license for carrying concealed weapon? If not, then buy a pepper spray and keep it with you. Just a precaution. Nothing should happen. Most people in BD streets looks at white people as rare exotic animal. Sometimes they would come up and touch your skin. lol. They are very friendly. If you walk the roads, may be you will have a kids, people following you like a pipe piper.

Currently, the political situation in BD is not good. It is fairly safe yet being at the wrong place at the wrong time can create problems. Thus I recommend not to travel there now. May be in few months, we hope and pray politicians come to senses for the betterment of the regular people. I plan to visit in Summer.

Local Culture: There are two types of culture. One for the city folks and for the rural folks. City culture is fast paced. Everyone trying achieve EVERYTHING fast. No patience what so ever. This happens when cities are over burdened with people. Resources are limited. I'd say 2 weeks is good.

To understand the rural folks culture, you have live with them. At the end, your heart will be content. You can experience peace and tranquility, satisfied with little they have. You will see sufferings as well. However, they are much kinder and gentler than the city folks.
Old February 4, 2015, 04:42 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Safety: Are you white skinned? Assuming "yes", do you have a license for carrying concealed weapon? If not, then buy a pepper spray and keep it with you. Just a precaution.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am a white male.

Out of interest, what would it be a precaution against? What do you consider the biggest danger?

I am a bit surprised to see this mentioned actually. Is violent crime against westerners common in Dhaka?
Old February 4, 2015, 01:48 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:

Out of interest, what would it be a precaution against? What do you consider the biggest danger?

I am a bit surprised to see this mentioned actually. Is violent crime against westerners common in Dhaka?
Nope. I don't think it ever happened on foreigners in the streets of Dhaka. Ever. Just a precaution. On the contrary, bystanders would come to rescue you if it ever happens.

Nowadays, nothing can be predicted. Crazy people can do so many things. Why not just take simple precautions? Didn't mean to alarm you. (pickpocketing. Stuckup. Not like South Africa though.)
Old February 6, 2015, 03:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:

I don't think any foreigners have ever been harassed or assaulted in BD. Even in India, foreign women can get raped. BD criminals are smarter/less bold...they know if you mess with foreigners, Obama's drones are just 1 country away.

If you decide to go, just a word to wise. Don't dress immodestly - although they might not care for white people as much. That is make sure your shorts go to below the knees (more an issue for women) and don't expose your chest/shoulders. Don't drink alcohol in public. If its Ramadan, prolly best not to eat/drink/smoke in public unless you're at a place where lots of foreigners are (ie hotel/restaurant).

As anywhere, common sense will get you far.

Stay in nice hotels. Don't eat street food or drinks. Boil your water. Get your Hepatitis A vaccine. Get a flu shot if you haven't already. Use insect repellant to ward off dengue, etc. Don't wander around at night. Don't accept rides from strangers. And always stay well hydrated especially in the summer. Also sun screen is a must.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 6, 2015, 03:35 PM
Cricket Savant

I find the need to mention skin color frankly distasteful and idiotic. So if I am Nigerian or from Guatemala or east China no one will harass me?

Some don't think before posts.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old February 6, 2015, 05:17 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
I find the need to mention skin color frankly distasteful and idiotic. So if I am Nigerian or from Guatemala or east China no one will harass me?.
You have stayed in US for too long. My post wasn't racial. Don't make it one.
To answer your question: If you are a Nigerian or from Guatemala you don't stand out in BD crowd. I have friends who are darker than most Nigerians.

As from east China, they stand out as well. So need to take special precaution. However, they don't travel alone. Lighter skinned foreigners most likely would carry cash more than locals. May be even carry Dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Some don't think before posts.
Mon'e onek koshto pailam Zee.
Old February 6, 2015, 06:47 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Bangladesh is a very welcoming country for tourists.

However Dhaka doesn't give a true picture of Bangladesh. It has a culture of its own.

If you are street smart nothing will happen to you. However during hartal days it is wiser to stay near the diplomatic zones.

Bangladesh's main asset is its welcoming and hospitable people.

Don't take our word for it. You will here many accounts from travellers, in particular women and how they enjoyed this chaotic yet beautiful country.
Old February 6, 2015, 08:11 PM
Cricket Savant

Don't get offended Mijan bhai. As I get increased in Dan (not Dan Quyale) I have to maintain a superior formal tone!

Old February 6, 2015, 10:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

I am itching to unleash but showing a lot of restraints... carry on young guns...carry on.
Old February 7, 2015, 02:44 PM
Cricket Savant

Bolo? lol bolona... ^^^^^

I still stand behind my post. If I go to a Zimbo forum and some guy asks me: Are you brown skinned? Damm right I will be offended.

Old February 7, 2015, 09:50 PM
Cricket Sage

^ Context. T_E bhai asked for a reason, and he explained his reason within that same paragraph. You know very well what his intention was.