facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 26, 2007, 08:31 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Question over Bangladesh's test status

I was chatting with a friend from Australia who holds a position the cricket board there. He was telling me that some of the officials were chatting over the current game and were of the opinion that Bangladesh should be stripped off the test status for now. I wonder how long will it take before the opinion becomes official and ICC starts getting pressure.

Non-aisan ICC members have been alerted with south Asia's dominance lately. With as many as four members, south Asia is emerging as the strongest region. They cant do anything about BCCI for obvious reasons. PCB has been on the receiving end. Srilanka has been the worst victim of racism. But the softest target is Bangladesh.

Unless Bangladesh raises the level of games, a question on its test status is likely. Its the second test in a row in which Bangladesh has allowed as many as four centuries in one innings. Getting out cheaply on the same surface does not add any credibility to the batting either. Srilanka has been doing great lately, but India was in a poor form when they were allowed to play like champions. Its high time for BCB to do something. Else if the question is asked, they wouldnt have enough cushion to fall back on.

Old June 26, 2007, 08:39 AM
Test Cricketer

If those were the standards the West Indies should have been stripped of their status a long time ago.
Old June 26, 2007, 08:53 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

You really have to understand. We have actually come down in standard in test cricket. Before our 13 month break from test cricket, Bangladesh were not so bad, we had won many sessions against strong teams (remember Pakistan, India and ofcourse Australia). Our latest dip in form is due to the lack of test cricket and once we start playing test on a regular basis like before, add to that the addition of some new players and removal of average players, we will be a much better side. What I am trying to say is that its not that Bangladesh have not improved in test cricket. We were like this during our initial days but improved a lot since. Our recent dip in form is due to lack of cricket. We have shown a lot of promise in test cricket and given matches we will shine again like before.
Old June 26, 2007, 08:57 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

A news with some friends chatting about the Test status should not be used to open a thread.

Bangladesh's performance will raise questions and have raised before. It's nothing new, Bangladesh will overcome these tough period, I have no doubt in it.

2nd Day of a 3 match Test series is not the ideal time to start the bandwagon.
Old June 26, 2007, 08:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by capslock
If those were the standards the West Indies should have been stripped of their status a long time ago.
Agree with capslock, but the issue is more major and not just stripping of test status. The concern is the rise of cricket of south asian nations obviously creating imbalance of cricket authority power. Anyways, long story short and putting in nice words, there will be observation on the progress of 'developing cricket nations'(e.g. BD, ZIMB,KEN etc.), curtail lots of matches against top teams in order to preserve the international cricket standard. If we play two to three test in a year that should be enough to preserve the standard and give us a 'way to progress and move forward'.
Old June 26, 2007, 09:00 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
A news with some friends chatting about the Test status should not be used to open a thread.

Bangladesh's performance will raise questions and have raised before. It's nothing new, Bangladesh will overcome these tough period, I have no doubt in it.

Very well said Miraz bhai.
Its only a year ago we came agonisingly close in defeating Australia, and if the 2nd day of the test match was anything to go by, we would have won the match.

This is a direct result of not playing test match for over a year.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old June 26, 2007, 09:02 AM
Club Cricketer

Relax. If ICC goes onto grant and deny test status like that, it will discourage many of the Associate members and the game will never expand as the ICC wishes. As long as SL is a member of the ICC, it will always stand by BD and support it's status.
Old June 26, 2007, 09:02 AM
First Class Cricketer

its only when u perform badly that these questions are raised. i dont think bd should be stripped off their test status based on their last 2 performance, however I dont like to see those records by vaas and gillespie too. i wish ashraful only keeps his promise which he made before he left bd.its time to put words into action.
Old June 26, 2007, 09:07 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer
some of the officials were chatting over the current game and were of the opinion that Bangladesh should be stripped off the test status for now.
And they already forgot AUS's 5-day nerve-breaking thriller against BD in early 2006, where Ponting had to play the innings of his life to save face?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer
I wonder how long will it take before the opinion becomes official and ICC starts getting pressure.
This 'wondering' thing has been going on (among external observers) since the very first year of BD's test debut. It will remain ongoing for ever... as it appears.
Old June 26, 2007, 09:12 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

I have only few words for you: Just wait 4-5 years more till we start beating the big boys in Test cricket regularly.
Old June 26, 2007, 09:14 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

who cares what your friends think. tell them they r not in power any more...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old June 26, 2007, 09:15 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Sourav Ganguly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehsan
I have only few words for you: Just wait 4-5 years more till we start beating the big boys in Test cricket regularly.
Hopefully players will keep that in mind

Last edited by Ganguly da; June 26, 2007 at 09:44 AM..
Old June 26, 2007, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz

This is probably a knee-jerk reaction from the disappointment, but you have to accept the fact that these chats have been doing rounds everywhere, especially after BD's performance in last 2 test matches and this one. You don't need to come down hard on the thread-starter....he's just stating what's out there. Hopefully things will get better for BD and everyone here is praying for that.

It's not about raising questions, its about the questions that are being raised are being confirmed by the performances as time goes by
Old June 26, 2007, 09:25 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram

ditto
Quote:
Originally Posted by capslock
Old June 26, 2007, 09:28 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganguly da
This is probably a knee-jerk reaction from the disappointment, but you have to accept the fact that these chats have been doing rounds everywhere, especially after BD's performance in last 2 test matches and this one. You don't need to come down hard on the thread-starter....he's just stating what's out there. Hopefully things will get better for BD and everyone here is praying for that.

It's not about raising questions, its about the questions that are being raised are being confirmed by the performances as time goes by
as time goes by, eh?

thats another point...bangladesh are notorious slow learners when it comes to test cricket (and i'd say we've done a fair job given the situation at hand).

so often, we start a series off poorly, then get into the thick of things after a while.

england series 2005, remember 108 all out? thats not a far cry from the current 89 all out...but by the 4th innings of our series (the last innings in 2 test series), our boys managed to score 300.

given the number of caps some of our key players have (10 for rajib, 3 for sakib, 2 for razzak), its not surprising we find our self in teh situation we are in. most teams A teams players have more test caps that our stars. after a 13 break they will struggle. hence the india and SL test match debacles.

i gurantee the matches will be more competitive come the 3rd test of this series.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old June 26, 2007, 09:32 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganguly da
hopefully your players would have that in mind while playing test matches 4-5 yrs from now and not give batsmen like Chaminda Vaas....a century!
are you a well-wisher? Currently we are discussing something important about improvement and trying to seek cosolation for our battered soul...this comment will invoke unnecessary sentiment.
Old June 26, 2007, 09:32 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

Dont believe the Auusis, the r racist...
and dont care wht other people say about us,
Old June 26, 2007, 09:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS
are you a well-wisher? Currently we are discussing something important about improvement and trying to seek cosolation for our battered soul...this comment will invoke unnecessary sentiment.
sorry, I edited that. Didn't mean it to come out that way
Old June 26, 2007, 09:46 AM
Test Cricketer

Another bull crap thread.
Old June 26, 2007, 09:47 AM
Cricket Legend

I agree with Miraz - it is only 2 days. Lets see how the rest of the series goes.

On a personal note, i am extremely disappointed. BD team is not improving at all in the longer version. If not for a certain Mr. Mashrafe, the team would looks nowhere close to any international standard.

I wonder if the blame lies on the selectors or the players themselves. I have seen much more fight from teams like Zimbabwe (and i can bet they'll fight harder evn today). I just can't believe why the team won't evolve.
Old June 26, 2007, 09:58 AM
ODI Cricketer

Yup totally agree. No need to strip test status. But just limit the number of matches. Heck, even just playing the test matches at home is good enough. Even
3-5 test matches per season at home is not bad (from November to March). Then maybe in 2-3 years as we gradually improve, I'm sure other countries will want to invite us anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS
Agree with capslock, but the issue is more major and not just stripping of test status. The concern is the rise of cricket of south asian nations obviously creating imbalance of cricket authority power. Anyways, long story short and putting in nice words, there will be observation on the progress of 'developing cricket nations'(e.g. BD, ZIMB,KEN etc.), curtail lots of matches against top teams in order to preserve the international cricket standard. If we play two to three test in a year that should be enough to preserve the standard and give us a 'way to progress and move forward'.
Old June 26, 2007, 10:01 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

The problem is in our batting. The bowling was not that bad on a dead track. Look at Sri Lanka's top 10 Test total (8 out of 10 are at home and 6 are at SSC). Look at the top score and opponents. Sri Lanka is a top team at home.

Highest totals
Sri Lanka - Test matches
Score Overs RR Inns
Opposition Ground Match Date Scorecard
952/6d 271.0 3.51 2
v India Colombo (RPS) 2 Aug 1997 Test # 1374
756/5d 185.1 4.08 2
v South Africa Colombo (SSC) 27 Jul 2006 Test # 1810
713/3d 165.3 4.30 2
v Zimbabwe Bulawayo 14 May 2004 Test # 1699
628/8d 182.0 3.45 2
v England Colombo (SSC) 18 Dec 2003 Test # 1675
627/9d 197.0 3.18 2
v West Indies Colombo (SSC) 29 Nov 2001 Test # 1572
610/6d 171.0 3.56 2
v India Colombo (SSC) 29 Aug 2001 Test # 1559
591 156.5 3.76 2
v England The Oval 27 Aug 1998 Test # 1423
590/9d 202.4 2.91 2
v West Indies Galle 13 Nov 2001 Test # 1567
586/6d 161.0 3.63 1
v Zimbabwe Colombo (SSC) 27 Dec 2001 Test # 1581
577/6d 135.5 4.24 2
v Bangladesh Colombo (SSC) 25 Jun 2007 Test # 1837
Old June 26, 2007, 10:05 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Just wanted to ask surfer to ask his friends what were their comments when they (Aus) were almost on the brink of losing the first test in BD tour. And that was only last year. Just want an honest answer from them.

Tide changes twice a day. These same friends would fight for BD test status when they get beat. Won't they???
Old June 26, 2007, 10:06 AM
Cricket Guru

[quote=Miraz;491048]The problem is in our batting. The bowling was not that bad on a dead track. Look at Sri Lanka's top 10 Test total (8 out of 10 are at home and 6 are at SSC). Look at the top score and opponents. Sri Lanka is a top team at home.
/quote]

Thanks for the list, feeling little better
SL is a very good team and in their soil they are super.
Old June 26, 2007, 10:13 AM
ODI Cricketer

This might suprise a few ..but as long as the BCCI has sway over ICC , BD test status will never be in doubt ..some may call say India is serving its own pupropose ...but thats what it is ...

But guys why should one bad performce raise the same old wuestion?