facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 27, 2013, 07:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum
SN is much more capable than Naeem in that one down position (atleast in the ODIs). He deserves to get the chance.
Bro ,

This is the exact reasoning and sentiment behind his inclusion in the recently concluded tests versus West Indies. Experience matters in Tests, hence Management thought he was the best option. he did manage to score 20s/30s but it was hardly impressive as he repeatedly got out in similar fashion.

Old January 27, 2013, 08:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

give the young ones experience, they'll turnout much better. SN i guess could be a good back-up if he's in form, but we've got players like marshall and mominul coming through, wouldn't count shuvagata out just yet, nasir, mushy, riyad, shakib are doing quite well, anamul came in an hit a ton, tamim is one of the best BD has produced. we don't need to select players just because they have experience, the young players are at a level now where they'll perform as well or better than those experienced players so may as well expose them early and let them learn and get better so in a a few years they'll be good players (if you leave them in domestics for to long they'll stagnate, and not be able to progress when they finally get that international chance).
Old January 27, 2013, 08:12 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
Bro ,

This is the exact reasoning and sentiment behind his inclusion in the recently concluded tests versus West Indies. Experience matters in Tests, hence Management thought he was the best option. he did manage to score 20s/30s but it was hardly impressive as he repeatedly got out in similar fashion.
It happens when someone is out of form...and he was not in the team for a long time. If an experienced guy like him can get back his form its far better than asking a new guy, who has ot to go through the entire process...

Guys like Mominul will take ages to get this level of maturity. New guys look fine, until they are worked out by opponents to exploit their weaknesses... Cricket is a old game and a newcomer to get settled at that level takes reasonable time even for more established nations. We have no reason to believe our guys are different. So, it's always better to stick to technically correct experienced guys and help them to improve.
Old January 27, 2013, 09:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
It happens when someone is out of form...and he was not in the team for a long time. If an experienced guy like him can get back his form its far better than asking a new guy, who has ot to go through the entire process...

Guys like Mominul will take ages to get this level of maturity. New guys look fine, until they are worked out by opponents to exploit their weaknesses... Cricket is a old game and a newcomer to get settled at that level takes reasonable time even for more established nations. We have no reason to believe our guys are different. So, it's always better to stick to technically correct experienced guys and help them to improve.
not many BD batsmen are technically correct brother, the youngsters tend to have better technique and also are more consistent (proven in domestics) and seem to handle the rigours of international cricket a bit better (look at newer recent young guns like sohag, anamul, nasir etc and also look at the ages of guys like tamim, shakib and mushy when they arrived to the international scene). how many BD players who are experienced have comeback into the team in the last 7 or so years and been successful? pretty much the most successful BD players are the ones who have come into the team young and stayed there rather than the ones who've been in and out of the team.

if we're going to back one older player why not back them all? we can bring back SN, ash, aftab, kapali. they've all had some sort of success at the international level but that doesn't mean they should always be chosen over young players on the rise who have earned there way and proven to be better in domestics.

personally i'd rather go for a young player who has out performed an experienced older player (who has failed internationally) in domestics and give them a shot in the national team. also experienced players should be dominating long term in domestics to have any chance of selection for the national team, otherwise they're just not worth it imo.

let's leave tests and t20s out of this because really, you can use career stats to make a judgement on that because in tests you're always facing quality opponents and in t20s it really doesn't matter that much.

SN's career ODI average is 31.44, he has 4 tons, and 13 half tons from 75 innings. if you take out minnows and also zimbabwe but leave in all of the other test playing nations then his average drops to 18.56 with no tons and only 5 half tons from 41 innings. that's a huge difference. BD are doing a lot better against the top teams these days and are playing them more often so you can really see where SN is at imo.

also as far as guys like mominul taking ages to get settled, that may be the case but at the same time i strongly believe that guys like mominul will pretty much begin their careers at the level SN has shown over his international career. i mean SN averages 26 in test, of course it is just my own opinion but i reckon if you gave mominul 10-15 tests he'd average better than that...and he has more potential than SN to, which makes him a better investment for BD cricket.
Old January 27, 2013, 09:13 PM
Administrator

I generally agree with Gowza. It is time for us to look forwards and not backwards. I too was once a huge fan of SN and KAPS but I think their time has passed. They were the best we had then but now we have many who have shown promise to be better than the old ones at their best. As Gowza said, we should make the investment of time, patience, money and effort on the new guys and they will yield great dividends for a very long time. Short term back-ward looking investments will only short-term benefits.
Old January 27, 2013, 09:24 PM
Cricket Guru

also there is a difference between new comers now and newcomers 5-10 years ago. pretty much all new talent that gets selected now have had to be at least decently consistent and proven themselves on the domestic circuit, something that didn't really matter as much a few years ago.
Old January 27, 2013, 10:13 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
As long as TI is in the team...that's a lame excuse. None plays more T20 in test matches, than TI. Lets find some better excuse. I'm not yet saying that he should be called back, but if he continues o bat well in BPL. That definitely will be strong indication that he is back in form.

Class players are good in all formats.
Tamim is in a different league when it comes to attacking cricket. Tamim plays that way and is successful and that's why he is still the best opener we have. Tamim knows how to play short balls. Have you forgotten how Nafees handles bouncers? I am sure i can refresh your memory from youtube when i am back at home.
Old February 5, 2013, 03:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

This guy is performing well.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:39 PM
Cricket Guru

Thanks to SN, we now know BPL is not that much harder than minnow bashing.
Old February 8, 2013, 07:41 AM
Cricket Sage

Love him or hate him, SN today unofficially confirmed his inclusion back in the national team.

Ugly technigue or not, stylish or not, he looks like back in his form. Hope he continue his good form in SL series.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:38 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Congrats SN for winning MOM again.
Old February 8, 2013, 02:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Thanks to SN, we now know BPL is not that much harder than minnow bashing.
If it was that easy I don't see Tamim/Shakib/Mushfiqur on top if the batting charts, it's Nafees!
Old February 8, 2013, 02:16 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

nah, Nafis is really in great form, he deserves to be in the jatiyo team.
Old February 8, 2013, 03:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
nah, Nafis is really in great form, he deserves to be in the jatiyo team.
Old February 8, 2013, 04:21 PM
Cricket Savant

Nafees doesn't walk on water, water walks on'm

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old February 8, 2013, 04:44 PM
Cricket Guru

i guess the 2nd opener battle (that is if anamul isn't taking the spot and is batting at #3) is between shamsur and SN.
Old February 8, 2013, 05:19 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

He is our Lara. Ar Lara ke ki jatiyo dol theke baad deowa jay?

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old February 8, 2013, 05:40 PM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Whoever takes the 2nd openers spot. You've gotta keep Shakib at 3 imo. Golden rule of T20 cricket, play your best batsmen at the top.
Old February 8, 2013, 07:51 PM
Cricket Sage

SN exceeded most of our expectation. I don't know if it's enough to get him a place in the playing 11 for T20/ODI, considering we have seen him do well to domestic cricket before and than went on to struggle all over again in international scene. Maybe it's time for someone like Shuvo to get a chance. I don't know if he will be any better than SN/Junaid/Kayes, but after his BPL performance it's kind of hard to ignore him.
Old February 9, 2013, 12:24 AM
MLC World Series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajfar
SN exceeded most of our expectation. I don't know if it's enough to get him a place in the playing 11 for T20/ODI, considering we have seen him do well to domestic cricket before and than went on to struggle all over again in international scene. Maybe it's time for someone like Shuvo to get a chance. I don't know if he will be any better than SN/Junaid/Kayes, but after his BPL performance it's kind of hard to ignore him.
There is a difference phacing the new phast bowlers and the old brigade phast bowlers.
Old February 9, 2013, 12:47 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajfar
So basically you are saying that if Bill Gates wanted to partition your PC, then you'd rather have an outsourced desi to look at it than him? Right?

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old February 10, 2013, 05:08 PM
Cricket Guru

His shoddy techniques still have not changed, though he is stil good enough to dominate domestics.

I rather see selectors investing on Shams and Aumi.
Old February 10, 2013, 05:17 PM
Cricket Guru

SN is the perfect example of what i dislike about an experienced domestic dominating batsman who's been out of the national team for a bit. he has the same issues as he did when he was failing in the national team, players really shouldn't be re-introduced back into the national team unless they've improved their game, they need to have fixed at least some of the issues that contributed to their past failure otherwise it's pretty pointless to bring them back because mostly likely they won't perform any better than they did the last time.
Old February 10, 2013, 05:21 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
SN is the perfect example of what i dislike about an experienced domestic dominating batsman who's been out of the national team for a bit. he has the same issues as he did when he was failing in the national team, players really shouldn't be re-introduced back into the national team unless they've improved their game, they need to have fixed at least some of the issues that contributed to their past failure otherwise it's pretty pointless to bring them back because mostly likely they won't perform any better than they did the last time.
Well said
Old February 10, 2013, 10:28 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Obviously SN has his fair share of technical flaws but I don't believe that's his biggest problem. I think it's his shot selection and poor pacing of his innings that often get him in trouble. He either goes too defensive or too aggresive. It's a mental block that I really see is the issue of SN. Once he gets in rhythm, he can really take control of attacks and we've seen that throughout his career but problem is he just doesn't do it enough.

Question is, has he finally gotten rid of this mental block? I feel it's too soon to tell and we may need to wait until he plays more domestic matches before we can tell if he's finally matured and can play consistently at the highest level.