facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 21, 2004, 02:14 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default Historical roots of our batting crisis

Our batting has been struggling for a long time. Numerous theories have been suggested to explain this phenomenon. I want to add my own theory to the ever-growing list of explanations of our batting failure.

I think history has played a unique and important role in creating today's batting crisis. In particular I want to point out Aminul Islam Bulbul .

One of my clearest images of Bulbul is his delicate glance/push down to third man. Indeed it was one of his favourite shots. Whenever he needed to get a quick single he would push the ball down to third man. Quite often, it worked brilliantly.

Quite often, his glance would backfire. I remember two occasions (don’t remember which specific game) where he played it into the hands of wide first slip or gully - from an off-spinner!.

I remember that I was myself inspired by his delicate and effective nudges and pushes. I tried it several times playing against friends and family. Needless to say, my batting qualities are somewhat less impressive than Bulbul's. I ended up nicking the ball to slip or keeper far more often than I could pull off the shot. These failures did not stop me from trying the shot every now and then.

Now, I am *not* claiming that Bulbul inspired generations of our batsmen to commit suicidal 'fishing' outside the off stump. But his influence cannot be discounted either.

Bulbul was, after all, one of our finest batsmen at the time. I found it hard not to feel proud after he proclaimed Bulbul's cover drive was a 'shot of a little master'. (I think that was in an Asia cup match against India, it was some Indian comm). I’m sure; many others felt the same way. Many may have tried to copy his technique, intentionally or unconsciously.

How can we correct this problem carried down from history? My suggestion is this: every time our batsmen practice, he should be penalized ten runs every time a shot is played down to third man. If this is done enough times, it batsmen will instinctively leave alone balls just outside off. They might abandon fishing altogether!

Anyhow, that’s my theory. I welcome critiques and additions of any kind

[Edited on 22-7-2004 by Piranha]

[Edited on 22-7-2004 by Piranha : for clarity]

Old July 21, 2004, 07:38 PM
Cricket Legend

OK. are we talking about leg glance? I always tried to emulate the way Azharuddin could pull off those shots? I would'nt be surprised if Aminul had a sort of influence on BD batting. However, I am equally surprised how BD batsmen do not pick up the positive aspects of his batting.
And please don't forget who was Ash's batting partnership when he was on his way to his maiden century in Sri Lanka, none other than Aminul.
On more of this interesting story, "how Ash found his feathers", watch out for my next article. No more said.:P

[Edited on 22-7-2004 by oracle]
Old July 21, 2004, 08:40 PM
ODI Cricketer

I was talking about the push/glide down to third man. Bulbul used to do this quite often to a ball that was just outside his off stump. He would open the face of the bat, just get a touch on the ball, and it would go to third man - often for four.
Old July 22, 2004, 12:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Apparently Bulbul's heir apparents are all trying desperately to emulate that shot. 3 of them got out trying to do that in the Pak game, I remember Sujon did nothing else but third man nudges and there were a couple of others.

These guys never seem to play off the front foot. Any historical reason for this shortcoming?
Old July 22, 2004, 12:34 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

I personally don't think the attitude to get runs from behind the wicket has anything to do with Bulbul. This is called lazy batting. Anyone who has played some form of competitive cricket knows playing in front foot takes lot more concentration (i.e. to go for the ball rather than wait). This matter gets worse if or more difficult if the bowler swings the ball at good line. Our Batsmen have a tendency to wait for the ball rather than going for it (hence we get many lbw against us). I think you folks have identifed some genuinely poor performers. I believe there was posting a few days ago asking for putting a list of players who will be gone and lost. I think the list should start with these "lazy batsmen."
Old July 23, 2004, 09:26 PM
Street Cricketer

Batting performance of Bangladeshi batsmen can not explain by any theory.

India play with 7 regural batsmen. We play with 4 batsmen.
Old July 23, 2004, 10:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Default disagree

i dont agree with the "bulbul" theory. Surely he had a great influence to the next generation but I dont think any of our batsmen got that "glancing to the third man area" from him.

Also disagree with the view of going for the shots. Yes it is true that a good batsman will always try to play in the front foot but he has to be equal good at the back foot. Legendary batsman Sunil Gavasker always says that, the late u play the ball the better u have control over it. So i think BD batsmen try to follow that theory more often than they shud.

I think the MAIN problem of our batsmen is their frame of their mind and lack of self belief. Like Dav Whatmore said, its all in your head. Our BD batsmen just have to use it - that's all
Old July 24, 2004, 01:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

When our batsmen get out trying to glance down to third man they didn't necceserily learn it from Bulbul

That shot is the only one i can regularly score off and I've never seen Bulbul bat
Old July 24, 2004, 03:34 AM
First Class Cricketer

I completely agree with H-fan. Nudging the ball to third man is one of the more familiar shot in international cricket. It is the ideal shot to play if you get a good-length delivery on/outside off.

I guess there is not much wrong with the shot, the problem arises when you choose the wrong ball to play it and also if you execute it badly.
Old July 24, 2004, 05:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

With all due respect to the current Bangladeshi batters I just wanna mention that none of them are anywhere near Bulbul as far as temperament, class and ability is concerned. And that is where the problem is. One cannot find a single player in this team who has the ability of rotating the strike. And that is what one day cricket is all about. I honestly feel almost all the batters of this team has an attitude of blocking four balls and trying to hit a boundary of the rest two instead of trying to rotate the strike. And the result in inevitable. They create their own pressure and bring about their downfall. Players like Bulbul, Akram used to find gaps within the inner rings with utmost ease. But these current bunch just don’t know how to do it. Believe me they really don’t !!! Initially I thought they are just taking some time to settle down. But after seeing them in action for say about 35 matches I’ve started to believe that they just don’t have the ability to do that. The last generation of batters were far better. One little example should make things clear. Remember the World Cup drubbing? I still believe we were drubbed so badly by all the teams because the team we had then was an “A” team at best. And then Akram was flown in for the last match(without any sort of match practice and he wasn’t even match fit!!) because of some Injury and he made batting look ridiculously easy scoring that 40 odd against Kenya and almost won that match (He was probably the last man out and had to go for a big shot! ) No matter what ppl say I honestly believe our batting has deteriorated considerably in ODIs...We still have one decent batter from the last generation and that’s Javed Omar and one can easily see the difference between him and the other batters…Once he settles down he milks the ball with enormous ease and that is one day cricket my friend…It’s the ones and twos that can build an innings but these guys probably are not even aware of that. They reckon one day cricket is all about going hard at the ball and throwing your wicket away in the process. I’ve seen both the generation perform and trust me those batters were far better. I'm sorry to say this but this current team of ours don't even know the basics of batting in one day cricket.

[Edited on 24-7-2004 by Shehwar]
Old July 24, 2004, 07:57 AM
Club Cricketer

I really cannot see how you connected our current batting fiascos with Bulbul. Agreed, Bulbuls favouriteand probably the most succesful shot was the late cut or whatever you want to call it but I simply cannot come to believe that all our current batsmen have learnt one shot from just one player. The late cut is a very useful shot in ODI's since it is one of the one shots which can counter the delivery to the "corridor of uncertainty" as G. Boycott calls it.

Personally I agree with Bd tigers one hundred percent its all in the head. All our batsmen have the technique if you notice, their shots are (almost) all technically perfect.

Id like to bring another thing about Bangladeshi Batting to notice. Did any of you ever notice the way how our batsmen wiggle in the crease whenever the play a shot, their bodies are never completely ...solid? Compare this with English or Aussie players, whenever they play a stoke or fend a delivery off their body, they never quiver. Im sure Bd will get that composure with some practice...
Old July 24, 2004, 11:16 AM
ODI Cricketer

You guys have raised some very good counter-arguements. Thanks...it puts my theory in perspective..

I am convinced that history has some role to play...perhaps not necessarily a very important one as I suggested earlier.

I guess we will have to stick to the 'psychological aspect of batting' theory understand our batting failures.
Old July 24, 2004, 10:04 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default BANGLADESHI BATTING PSYCHOLOGY

Call these the rules or psyschology or whatever, these apply to Bangladeshi batting:

1) If the opening pair survives and scores 60 runs, the total score will be over 250.

2) If 2 top order batsmen are out within 20 runs, the whole team will collapse and will score possibly around 150 in total.

3) If the 1st wicket falls cheaply, the next 3 wickets will fall within total team score of 50 runs.

The analysis is done with years of review and research. The result? The lesson to learn?

The lesson to learn is : a LOT depends on the first 4 batsmen, especially the first 2 (I mean the opening pair).

Dav, I hope you read these, and I really hope you do, because some of these are coming from experienced and passionate Bangladeshi cricketers.

These should be our strategies:

STRATEGY NUMBER ONE: Our 2 openers should be asked to STAY THERE for at least 10 overs. That will guarantee at least 50 runs on the board. That will also guarantee a competitive game.

STRATEGY NUMBER TWO: The first 4 batsmen's objective will be to continue playing, NOT TO, and I repeat NOT TO take any risks. All they have to do is to STAY THERE, AND THAT'S IT.

There are other strategies, however, if the above 2 are implemented, we will see a major difference. Let me tell you this, if the top 4 (I mean the 4 in the top order) batsmen each play 30 balls, we should be scoring 100 runs easily from the top 4 only. And what the other batsmen will do, you can guess quite easily.....

NO PRESSURE TO SCORE RUNS, JUST STAY THERE AND CONNECT THE BALLS. THAT'S IT. IF A BALL IS RISKY TO CONNECT, LEAVE IT.

Is this too much of a difficult job for the best 4 batsmen in a country of 130 million?
Old July 24, 2004, 10:07 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
STRATEGY NUMBER ONE: Our 2 openers should be asked to STAY THERE for at least 10 overs. That will guarantee at least 50 runs on the board. That will also guarantee a competitive game.
Im pretty sure that this strategy has been tried with no success. I think even the current team is instructed to play the opening safely.
Old July 26, 2004, 11:47 PM
First Class Cricketer

I have a feeling the next generation will make it happen in batting for Bangladesh.

Don't worry it's not the real next generation. It means the young ones who are playing U-19 now.

The little tigers I mean....