facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 8, 2013, 06:47 AM
Street Cricketer

Default Cricket in Dhaka

Hi people,

Sorry to impose on your forum but I am an English cricket fan (no abuse please : ) ) arriving in Bangladesh on Friday for two weeks holiday.

I have wanted to come to Bangladesh for a number of years now (since first visiting India ten years ago) and have finally managed to get round to it! I remember well watching both of Tamin Iqbal's beautiful innings in England in 2011 (and have had a massive soft spot for him ever since!)

Anyway, I am looking to watch both T20 matches against Zim this weekend. The question is, are there any special venues in Dhaka in which to watch these games? I would like to watch them with some cricket fans if possible so any recommendations would be good (equally it could be that it will be on EVERYWHERE!). My hotel is in Banani (?).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Old May 8, 2013, 07:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Unlike western countries, we do not have any pubs or clubs where people watch cricket together. That only happens during special occasions like World Cup. Also, there is little interest among people to watch this series, poor performance by our boys.

But I would advice you to come over to my house in Dhanmondi, here me and plenty of my friends watch cricket, and as our exams are over, we are planning to watch the T20s together. Also, you might find yourself more comfortable with us, as we can speak English proprely
Old May 8, 2013, 02:04 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatkinCUFC
Hi people,

Sorry to impose on your forum but I am an English cricket fan (no abuse please : ) ) arriving in Bangladesh on Friday for two weeks holiday.

I have wanted to come to Bangladesh for a number of years now (since first visiting India ten years ago) and have finally managed to get round to it! I remember well watching both of Tamin Iqbal's beautiful innings in England in 2011 (and have had a massive soft spot for him ever since!)

Anyway, I am looking to watch both T20 matches against Zim this weekend. The question is, are there any special venues in Dhaka in which to watch these games? I would like to watch them with some cricket fans if possible so any recommendations would be good (equally it could be that it will be on EVERYWHERE!). My hotel is in Banani (?).

Thanks for any suggestions!
It's a shame that you aren't coming at a time when Bangladesh is playing at home!

In any case, if you're staying in Banani, I'm assuming you're staying at either Platinum Suites or Royal Park? If so, their restaurants/cafes screen the games but, as MHRAM said, there is a low viewer turnout, because a) we're performed poorly this series and b) the matches start when everyone is at work/school. During such circumstances, people just intermittently check the scores on Cricinfo or on TV or listen to snatches of radio commentary.

Still, one good performance could turn it all around. When Bangladesh plays well practically every TV and radio set in the country turns to the match.
Old May 9, 2013, 04:10 AM
Street Cricketer

Very much a shame but I could not be flexible with times this year unfortunately (perhaps the T20 world cup is a possibility next year!).

I am staying in a small guesthouse called Sabrina's Home - my budget could not stretch to a proper hotel.....

I think I will try to find a cafe for the game on Saturday and then take MHRAM up on his kind offer on Sunday.
Old May 9, 2013, 12:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Your timing could not be worse.....unfortunately all the game you are to watch live is POLITICAL in nature.....I suggest you stay indoors while it's played.
Old May 9, 2013, 03:47 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash,Tamim,Mastan

there are few sports cafe in dhaka (banani and gulshan 1). there is one near my home

http://www.explore-dhaka.com/explore...the-bench-cafe

you can ping me if there is any issue during your stay in BD. have a safe and nice trip
Old May 9, 2013, 04:02 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

I also work in the Banani area, so I'm there everyday - including Saturday. Maybe watching the game at the Bench on Saturday would be a good idea?
Old May 10, 2013, 12:34 AM
MLC World Series I

Have a GTG?
Old May 10, 2013, 05:16 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Anybody who plays for BD

but what made u think u can get abused for being an english!! anyway hope u enjoy ur stay in bd
Old May 10, 2013, 05:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Oh man as bad as timing could get..its hard to say enjoy your stay with everything going around...but Do Enjoy your stay..
Old May 10, 2013, 07:32 AM
Cricket Legend

The streets are very unsafe, especially for foreigners.

You never know when hefajot people come and start to call you Nastik :nervous: and demand you to be hanged
Old May 10, 2013, 09:53 AM
MLC World Series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM

You never know when hefajot people come and start to call you Nastik :nervous: and demand you to be hanged
Haha what nonsense!
Old May 10, 2013, 10:13 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Anybody who plays for BD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM

you are not helping
Old May 11, 2013, 04:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maysun
Haha what nonsense!
this is the type of nonsense you will see on the streets these days.

you will see placards telling "nastikder fashi chai". FGS this is a secular country