facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 15, 2003, 11:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Cricketer of the Year

Who would you guys say was the Bangladeshi cricketer of the year in 2003? I guess its really between Bashar and Rafique. If I had to pick one, I'd vote for Rafique because he took all his wickets on batting-friendly pitches. But lets hear what you all think. Maybe one of you will vote for Sujon!

And what about cricketer of the year and sportsperson of the year?

My cricketer of the year is Ponting, for the number of Test runs he scored, for leading his side to World Cup glory and the WC final innings, which was phenomenal.

And my sportsperson of the year is Jonny Wilkinson.

[Edited on 16-12-2003 by Sham]

Old December 15, 2003, 11:45 PM
Cricket Legend

I will vote for Rafique as well. He was in consistent good form all the time.

As for other cricketers, especially batters, I will wait till the end of both boxing day tests. It's a three way tie between Lara, Ponting and Hayden for best batsman. If Lara can somwhow make a draw out of the curent test and help Windies win the next one, it will be a no-brainer for me. But Ponting and Hayden both had a phenomenal year as well. Currently Lara has scored most runs this year out of the three (1252 runs) so far.

Interestingly, McGill and Ntini are vying for the claim of most wicket taker. I don't like either of them.

[Edited on 16-12-2003 by Arnab]
Old December 15, 2003, 11:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Rafique for his comeback year - he's become a geunine Test class bowler for Bangladesh.

What about Steve Waugh for proving he still had it in him and leaving on his own terms? More of a romantic choice than one based on pure stats, of course...
Old December 16, 2003, 01:46 AM
ODI Cricketer

I'd vote for Bashar as Bd player of the year. He proved to us that Bd batsmen can do wel if they apply themselves - that is a big deal. His ODI failures count as a major minor though.

International crickter of the year ought to go to Ponting.
Old December 16, 2003, 05:53 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

I want to be the one who votes for Sujon as the cricketer of the year.

But I would have to admit that both Bashar and Rafique are very close to being my cricketer of the year.

But neither of them had to shoulder the burden of the whole team like Sujon had to do in the year 2003 - and he had almost done it - if it wasn't for damn Inzamamul Haque and the other tail-enders alongside him.

From the World Cup, Sujon's bowling figures are best against Kenya among all the Bangladeshi bowlers - under pressure, then he had to lead the whole team - which was suffering mentally after a nightmarish world cup and following the resignation of former captain Pilot, then imposing some fighting spirits in the team during the South Africa tour at home, and then two very good away tours in Australia and Pakistan - one of them was almost a glorious day for Bangladesh - as said before, and then failing to show the same spirit in the England tour.

It's all been mixed bag, but it wasn't Sujon's fault that he was given the captancy at such a time when he is nearly at the end of his International career.

So I say that we should give him the 'Cricketer of the Year' prize and let him leave with some dignity.

My reasons for not choosing either Bashar or Rafique at this moment to be the Cricketer of the Year:-

The major event during the year 2003 or during the season 2002-2003 was the world cup. And the failure of these two players in the world cup to do anything significant has largely influenced my decision.

On the other hand, Bashar and Rafique still has it in them - or it is upto them to prove or to show that their batting and bowling performances were not just "one year blunders". They have both achieved something at the International stage - one is the 10th placed batsman in test cricket in the world, and the other's name is also announced with huge respect all over the world - but they still have a job on their hands - because it was largely through their performances as the players that Bangladesh's maiden victory in test cricket was possible - but they did not finally or rather, could not finally finish the match in our favor - as simply players.

It is a well-known opinion now that Bashar will be the captain of Bangladesh and Rafique still has to help in taking all 20 wickets of the opposition in a test match to gain that elusive victory.
Old December 16, 2003, 07:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Bangladeshi cricketer of the year i say Sumon not because he out performed Rafique but because of how badly needed it was!! We were in desperate need of runs in the top order considering how badly our middle order was going and Bashar did a fantastic job

Cricket of the year - Ponting because of the WC and the maturity of his innings scoring of 1000 runs this year

Sportsperson of the year - Hmm...Jason McCartney...i don't wanna say Jonny Wilkinson but I think I'll have to
Old December 16, 2003, 10:56 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I vote for Sumon.
Old December 16, 2003, 10:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful
Default Not Rafique

he missed a run out... knocked the bails out with his foot.... that jackasss!

Don't know what you mean by sportperson of the year.. but I vote for Whatmore.

[Edited on 16-12-2003 by Orpheus]
Old December 16, 2003, 11:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Sportsperson of the year

refers to any sportsperson in any sport! But they have to play. Coaches don't count so Whatmore is not a valid entry Orphy.

James, just the fact that deep in your heart, you know that Wilkinson is the sportsperson of year is good enough for me!
Old December 16, 2003, 02:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful
Default oh..

that's a tough one then! out of all sports you guys picked someone from rugby?? who watches rugby???

I vote for Beckham.. for no valid reason whatsoever. A movie was made by his name and American rap songs are mentioning his name.. that's huge... You don't get your names mentioned in rap songs that easily....

ok i am just talking non-sense now... peace!
Old December 16, 2003, 02:46 PM
Cricket Legend

If we picked by the popularity of the sport, it would be a footballer everytime. You have to pick on account a person's impact on the sport, which is why most people picked Ponting as cricketer of the year. Wilkinson pretty much single handedly won his side the World Cup. And unlike Australia in cricket, England is not the best rugby team. Its like if Shane Bond had almost single handedly won New Zealand the World Cup.

And who watches rugby? More people globally than most US sports.
Old December 16, 2003, 07:08 PM
ODI Cricketer

As for sportperson...i would have been tempted to say Juan Pablo Montoya if he could have pull off a spectacular victory this year...alas Schumacher was too good.

who else is there votable? cant think of any...i'll pass the vote i guess.
Old December 16, 2003, 08:58 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

BD player: Sumon...just beat rafique coz batting has been our main weakness (the mainest of the main!) and without him we would have been more miserable (if thats possible).

International Cricketer: Ponting (ODI and Test masterclass plus excellent fielderand leader!...that world cup innings is something I will never forget!) The great Lara has been awesome but he has some more work left to do. His ODI form has been good but not as good as it can be. Can't think of a bowler who made much impact.

Int. Sportsperson: dunno but I guess Wilko is as good as any!
Old December 16, 2003, 10:53 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

My choice is shumon without a doubt. when you are in top seven in the world in terms of most runs in a calender year, it makes the decision pretty easy for me. It is no meager feat for any batsman let alone the thankless job off playing number 3 in the Bangladesh side.

I like the south african captain Graeme Smith. He came out of nowhere armed with the title of Captain and scored some big big knocks for his country at such an young age. Ponting, Hayden come close second and third respectively. They are a known commodity, no less deserving though.

Sportperson of the year : Lance Armstrong

that man is a machine. he has been winning the tour de france, arguably one of the most challenging event in the world, quite regularly...
Old December 16, 2003, 11:18 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Yeah...I though Of lance armstrong too...that guy is awesome
Old December 16, 2003, 11:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Yeah, 5 years in a row!

Lance Armstrong was the only other person I was considering. He is a truly amazing athlete. Winning the Tour de France five times is in itself an amazing feat. If you consider that he is a cancer survivor, it makes it all the more amazing. His first win in 99 was awesome because it was the biggest comeback in Tour de France history. But now, you almost just expect him to win, although this year he was less than convincing. Anyway, I think Armstrong will go down as one of the greatest athletes of our generation.
Old December 16, 2003, 11:40 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

well said sham.
Old December 17, 2003, 07:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

JPM wasn't that great...yeah he had his moments of glory but really wasn't consistant enough to stand a chance against Schumi...Raikonnen was the opposite....consistantly on the podium but just 1 win
Old December 22, 2003, 08:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Hayden has done better than Ponting...(i'm not saying that purely on his 380)

As for Bangladeshi Cricketer of the year... Mohammed Rafique... he has taken 3 5-wicket hauls in one calander year... a total 0f 33 wickets... his current overall avarage is 27... only 2 more then Shane Warne.