facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old November 4, 2006, 12:30 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Your thoughts: Innovative and Practical idea to improve people of Bangladesh

While buried in the political turmoil, some of our friends were expressing our frustration and disappointment. We were blaming our political leaders for this chaotic situation in the country. But after a while we realized that our brains were plugged and minds were plagued with despairing thoughts, when asked each other what would we do if we were given the opportunity to help the country? What would we do to improve the life of the poor people? We were really surprised and shocked to realize that we were good at blaming the evils of the politicians, but did not even try to think how to improve the life of the people.

Dr. Yunus have shown that we can do it: go to the people who need you. And avoiding all the bureaucracy, shunning all the political knots, he worked with the people and helped them improve. There should many other innovative ways we should dream about and practically seek for.

I am opening this thread just to share our innovative thoughts in the most constructive way to help the poor people in our country. We know we may not implement these dreams today, but some of us must do in short future. Mods: if you think this is a redundant thread, please merge it with the old ones or if it is worthless, just delete this thread.

Have a happy dream.

Old November 4, 2006, 01:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Here is my thoughts if its worth anything but I doubt any of these will ever be implemented.

1) Abolish all constitutional rights of political parties, all political activites must be stopped.

2) Dissolve parliament immdiately, jail all political opponents, even the independent ones.
3) Create concentration camps in our country. And launch a massive crackdown in universities and colleges of "student political activists" and people who worked for BNP or BAL.
4) In case of any protest, simply openfire on crowd and create a second Tiannamen Square.

The idea is to create fear and control people through fear.
After getting the situation under control:

1) Massive reforms, launch corruption investigation in all sectors of government.
2) Implement reforms, make massive propaganda focusing on solely 2 things:
- Education (especially in Village, threaten families with jail if they refuse to send thier child to school)
- Birth-Control( implement sth like 2 child policy. We dont want to end up like our neighbours and we dont have room for that)

When things get under control, then slowly gradually give power back to people in small phases and ensure only the qualified people can be MPs or can start a political party.

All political activities by people under the age of 21 should be banned.
All political protest must be restricted to a certain size of say "30 per group", all people to be searched for weapons anything that could be used as weapon should be conficated.
Old November 4, 2006, 02:06 AM
Test Cricketer

I understand that improvement of political senerio and development of life of poor people goes hand in hand. But to be practical to say, can we think something that will help the poor who are the most forgotten one but serving the country with real honesty be it by farming or by producing? If they can help themselves they would possess the real power determine their fate. Economic solvency is the assurance for the decision making. Grameen Bank or other NGOs have shown that they can do. Is thers any other way left be it is in science or economics?

Last edited by Duck; November 4, 2006 at 02:28 AM..
Old November 4, 2006, 03:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck_Pion
I understand that improvement of political senerio and development of life of poor people goes hand in hand. But to be practical to say, can we think something that will help the poor who are the most forgotten one but serving the country with real honesty be it by farming or by producing? If they can help themselves they would possess the real power determine their fate. Economic solvency is the assurance for the decision making. Grameen Bank or other NGOs have shown that they can do. Is thers any other way left be it is in science or economics?
Pion bhai, our country is poor, so by serving this poor country you will be serving the poor.

Secondly, give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him how to fish and you feed him for life. This is the saying by Dr. Yunus. We have enough NGO's running around doing good for poor. But we need long term initiatives, not short term.

Thirdly, we need a healthy political system in place because end of the day, its the goverment who has the most money and its their job in first place to improve the conditions of the poor, not NGOs. But thats not happening ever again that ends the debate here.

Politics has a lot to do here even though we shun politics as a dirty, corrupt family-oriented business of Khaleda-Hasina-Ershad trio, its stability is what decides the fate of the country. Foreign AIDs, taxes(if people still pay any), VAT etc all goes to government, corrupt or not.

So the buck stops with politics and government.
Old November 4, 2006, 07:04 AM
Cricket Legend

I guess Pion Bhai mentioned even within the curent political mismanagement in BD what can be done for the poor. One stray idea that I heard a company in India did:

Making internet available to farmers where farmers can check market price of grains (rice, wheat etc.). This demolished middle man business who used to cheat farmers from getting right price for their crops. But there comes political/governmental interference - middlemen are part of MPs or political parties. Will they let this happen? That is the question? So I guess Hitler bhai mentioned that in a Hitler style through "shomule uthpaton" proposal. A benevolent autocrat could do that, I guess. But how did Prof Yunus make some happen being outside of political circle? Need an answer to this. Anyone??.....
Old November 4, 2006, 07:11 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Adolf_Hitler, you may have proposed the reforms in a harsh way, but in my mind I agree with you 100%. We need some massive reform.

At least these steps are required immediately for future..

1. Immediately stop all political activities by students and teachers of every college and University.

2. New law banning hartal and any form of blockade.

3. Independent anti corruption unit

4. Independent election commission.

5. 10 days absence in Sangshad should result in loss of membership.

6. Abolish the constitutional amendment which prevents MP's to say anything or vote against the party decisions.

These are simple and easy option which can be easily implemented.

If we can implement these proposals, that will be a massive development.
Old November 4, 2006, 08:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolf_hitler
Here is my thoughts if its worth anything but I doubt any of these will ever be implemented.
Quite right. Those are all Hitler-like policies.
Old November 4, 2006, 09:01 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Arnab;

You came to the finish line earlier with that punch line. I felt the same when I was reading through "Hitler" saheb's post. Reminds me of "Nam koroner sharthokota"...

On the topic though, I have a theory. Right now, Bangladesh as an entity is rapidly going through an increase in chaos. Every chatic system finds a self correcting mechanism within itself. My 2 cents, do nothing and wait. The system will start self correcting.

"Hitler";

I hope you did not take offense to that. I personally don't think Hitler is as bad as the western history portrays him to be. The Brits did the same thing collectively over a period of longer time and on much much larger population of people. I feel "Hitler" was one of those self correcting mechanism that corrected a lot of disorder in the system over an event we call World War II. One right order it brought was the fall of British Empire around the globe.
Old November 4, 2006, 10:17 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Miraz bhai,
I love #5. That is what we need without members having the privillage of walking out. They are employeed by the people for the people. They can't walk out on us. They represent us.

I have a different outlook to solve our porblem. We can do this if we are sincere enough. Educate people in in quality management. educate people on how to break down work in small processes. Be it in small business or Govt. work. Transparency. Implementation of current existant laws to its fullest.

After the second world war Japan transformed themselves in 4 years by implementing TQM (Total Quality Management). To begin they had nothing. Everything was destroyed. They not only became the world leaders in everything but continue to excel. We have at least some infra structure. But everyone has to work together.

1st we must believe we can do it.
2nd we need to be honest to ourselves.

No one will change our fate if we don't do it ourselves.
Old November 4, 2006, 03:04 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZunaidH

On the topic though, I have a theory. Right now, Bangladesh as an entity is rapidly going through an increase in chaos. Every chatic system finds a self correcting mechanism within itself. My 2 cents, do nothing and wait. The system will start self correcting.....
Zunaid vai, take no offense. I was asking to myself, are not we waiting for 35 years and doing nothing innovative? Will it take another 35 years to start self correcting. Can we think anything that can shorten this "Lag-Time" before self correction? I dont know.

But want to start something, be part of something that can truely but surely help the people. May be my urge inside will die down after the doldrums of current situation, but still feel the desire.......hope it burns inside.....
Old November 4, 2006, 03:16 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Adolf_Hitler, you may have proposed the reforms in a harsh way, but in my mind I agree with you 100%. We need some massive reform.

At least these steps are required immediately for future..

These are simple and easy option which can be easily implemented.

If we can implement these proposals, that will be a massive development.
I totally agree with you. These are the things we should implement. But this all depends on the big "IF". I am not sure whom did you mean by "we", is it the general people of Bangladesh who are not directly involved in policy making? Or you meant for the politicians who wont do any change for sure. Do you think general people can bring the changes without their own betterment of living? These are all simple and prerequisite steps to fullfil but who will do it and how? Any specific idea?

(Please Adolf_Hitler vai, dont be offended, we are trying to think other options also. We have expressed our opinion about the Army rules in another threads!)
Old November 4, 2006, 03:21 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Duck_Pion bhai, by the word 'we' I meant persons concerned (policymakers, politicians and people).

Mainly, its the politicians who have to come out with the idea and implement. If people can press consistently for these politicians have to agree.
Old November 4, 2006, 03:41 PM
Test Cricketer

I should have replied in one post, sorry for making separate posts:

nsd3: This is really a constructive idea, indeed. If we can make the telephone communication so reachable to the mess population by the private sector, I believe providing internet-based information can also be done. Even correct prediction of flood/drought/or other climactic disaster and informing the general people about the weather/climate for the season should make the difference in grass root level.

Tigers_eye: this is new to us, atleast to me:TQM (Total Quality Management). You brought a strong example of Japan on the table. Thanks for the enlightment.

I agree with you we need to be honest to us. Believe me, the general people who works for themselves are the most honest people, because they cant cheat themselves when they are working in the field coz it will hurt their production.

I am talking about the general people who are poor and thus victim to their fate. Being in the middle/upper class people (all of our BC members including me, I guess!) we tend to forget about them who represents the 80% of the country and so should hold the power to make decision of the nation.
Old November 4, 2006, 03:48 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

The whole world is destined to be doomed. There's no way back. We will be soon become extinct because of our high population and low resource.
Old November 4, 2006, 03:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolf_hitler

1) Abolish all constitutional rights of political parties, all political activites must be stopped.

2) Dissolve parliament immdiately, jail all political opponents, even the independent ones.
3) Create concentration camps in our country. And launch a massive crackdown in universities and colleges of "student political activists" and people who worked for BNP or BAL.
4) In case of any protest, simply openfire on crowd and create a second Tiannamen Square.

The idea is to create fear and control people through fear.
After getting the situation under control:

1) Massive reforms, launch corruption investigation in all sectors of government.
2) Implement reforms, make massive propaganda focusing on solely 2 things:
- Education (especially in Village, threaten families with jail if they refuse to send thier child to school)
- Birth-Control( implement sth like 2 child policy. We dont want to end up like our neighbours and we dont have room for that)

When things get under control, then slowly gradually give power back to people in small phases and ensure only the qualified people can be MPs or can start a political party.

All political activities by people under the age of 21 should be banned.
All political protest must be restricted to a certain size of say "30 per group", all people to be searched for weapons anything that could be used as weapon should be conficated.
I love the ideas. I would want them to be executed exactly the way you mentioned them. As Javed JAffery said, "poeple of the kicks dont listen to talks".

We need to carrry out those amendments brutally and efficiently so that no Hasina or Khaleda or Ershad dares to crop up in free Bangladesh in the coming generations.
Old November 4, 2006, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

i agree with hitler too. i think those are the only ways to bring order to a country like bangladesh. about giving power back to the people in small phases, i wouldn't actually mind resorting to communism for a while after a period of dictatorship, and then from communism slowly back to democracy. did china a world of good, and our people don't deserve any better right now.
Old November 4, 2006, 07:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Problem with Communism and Dictatorship is that no one wants to give away power.
China is fortunate that its leaders are a bit open minded and carried out reforms to Mao's version of communism. Else China would have been doomed aswell.

Other countries weren't so lucky, USSR collapsed along with East Germany, North Korea is barely functioning almost bankrupt, Cuba is avoiding being bankrupt by investing a lot on tourism.

Plus we need leaders to be honest aswell, last thing we need is another Kim Jong il or Stalin and these kind of leaders only pop up in communist countries where there is very few opposition. Deshe fire jawa tao haram hoye jabe.

Whatever mode of government we choose, we got to keep them in check all the time....not through hartals, mob-bashing and boma-baji, but thorough proper parliamentary discussions.
Old November 4, 2006, 09:25 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Think for a moment, it's a wonder that our people are still living after being the most densely populated and one of the poorest nations in the world. There is no overnight solution to the problems of our country. Controlling population and ensuring minimum living standard for everyone is the only way of bringing change in other areas. Which itself is a very tough goal, and the corruption that is bound to happen in the poor countries is making it even tougher.

For a change, we can start with disbanding with the army. In the long term, it will save us a lot of money. If the world wanted to, we could live without the army and nukes. Those money could be easily spent to ensure basic human needs all over the world. We can set the example in this area.
Old November 5, 2006, 11:01 AM
Cricket Legend

The amount we spent buying those Russian junk Mig29s is just ridiculous. FIrstly none of our neighbours of 2 billion people pose a threat to us and if they do we dont stand a chance against them. Exluding Burma.

Sometimes I wish I could see Khaleda-Hasina-Ershad in court being sentenced to death just like Saddam Hussein. At least Iraqi people got their justice, I doubt we will ever get ours.