facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 11, 2005, 08:48 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

lol.. wut can i say.. ppl think im not bangali.. thatswhy i had to say ya im indian.. caz they pissing me off.. lol nyways chill..

Old February 11, 2005, 09:20 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

enough of this why go old are new players w/ enogh experience will be on of the best teams in the world
Old February 11, 2005, 09:22 PM
Club Cricketer

Old February 12, 2005, 05:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Well I reckon Shanto still is a very decent bowler....& since I was so much into the 97 ICC Trophy and that era when I saw our team coming through the tough phases...U know...I alwayz have that soft corner for those players who made it happen..Who brought us where we are now...I have seen Shanto bowl quite a few stunning spells...Yes he wasn't that consistent but he was a wicket taker..not someone who'd be looking to restrict runs....And I feel he definitely did not get the the best of opportunity to make his come back...In that 3rd ODI The Indians were all fired up since we had beaten them in the previous match...So every single bowler took a beating....So when rugular bowlers are taking a hiding what can one expect from a bloke who was told just two hours before the match that he was in the playing eleven !!!....U know...Even ur mental frame of mind wasn't properly configured if u know wot i mean.....But newayz..Shanto has started the national league with a bang taking 6 wickets in his first match.....I'll prefer him as a back up in the coming series against England if he stays in the top five of highest wicket takers...
Old February 12, 2005, 06:25 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by tarifmahmud

TO,
Syed Mahmudul Hasan (Tarif)
MBA
ENGLAND

Sorry..Tarif.. we the non MBA(mostly) fellows of this forum cant taariif ur farsighted comment regarding ur shanta.

u know, it happened once even b4. another MBA ffrom middle of no-where made some brilliant comment..alas...pity on us.. we just laughed him offf calling he is suffering from MBA syndrome...
Old February 12, 2005, 12:54 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
Well I reckon Shanto still is a very decent bowler....& since I was so much into the 97 ICC Trophy and that era when I saw our team coming through the tough phases...U know...I alwayz have that soft corner for those players who made it happen..Who brought us where we are now...I have seen Shanto bowl quite a few stunning spells...Yes he wasn't that consistent but he was a wicket taker..not someone who'd be looking to restrict runs....And I feel he definitely did not get the the best of opportunity to make his come back...In that 3rd ODI The Indians were all fired up since we had beaten them in the previous match...So every single bowler took a beating....So when rugular bowlers are taking a hiding what can one expect from a bloke who was told just two hours before the match that he was in the playing eleven !!!....U know...Even ur mental frame of mind wasn't properly configured if u know wot i mean.....But newayz..Shanto has started the national league with a bang taking 6 wickets in his first match.....I'll prefer him as a back up in the coming series against England if he stays in the top five of highest wicket takers...
Sehwar, I feel for you.

For a long time, I was also a favorite fan of Mehrab Hossain Opee (a perfect opener), Shahriar Hossain Bidyut(a perfect opening partner to Opee), Saiful Islam Khan (a perfect fast bowling all rounder), Minhazul Abedin Nannu (a perfect all rounder-cum most experienced player), Aminul Islam Bulbul (a perfect test class batsman), Akram Khan (a perfect leader and a match winning batsman), Enamul Haque Moni (a perfect number 7 all rounder) etc.

But in time, some of them have failed, and in time, some of them have done great things after series of failures, but one thing I understood - you cannot hold on to the experienced ones when time is not going their way.

You have to give up some things for greater success and Shanto is one such good example.

You can say that with the end of Shanto episode and start of Shafiuddin Ahmed Babu or Monjurul Islam Monju's episode, with them, in time, I have learnt to watch which balls are good balls or which balls are bad balls. Only by watching our team bowling, you can say that I have learnt to bowl myself, even without going into a cricket field physically. Anyway, if that sounds too insulting, then hear my next paragraph out.

The percentage rate of our current pace bowlers' pitching the right balls in the right places is higher than our older pacers. In the past, our selectors may have chosen fast bowlers on their merit to take wickets, but now our coach and our selectors are gaining experience and they now choose to take accurate bowlers rather than just see their merit.

This is the reason why players like Talha Jubair don't get into the side much and for the exactly same reason, why Nazmul Hossain gets to play ahead of a much more experienced and senior bowler Tapash Baisya.

Come to think of it, Rajjak Raj, the left arm spinner was chosen ahead of Enamul Junior because of their accuracy (and inaccuracy) and was eventually dropped or included because of their accuracy.
Old February 12, 2005, 01:46 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

nice comments fwullah..

I think another vital factor to compare the level between our last generation bowlers and this generation, is the difference in quality of players they are having to face. This may be one good reason why the batsmen/bowlers who has had high level of success in the last generation.. often come out as mediocre standard players in the more 'heavy-duty' test cricket level of present.
Old February 12, 2005, 02:39 PM
Club Cricketer

I can never forget the way prince used to swing the ball both ways. I enjoyed his bowling a lot.

Shanto...neeeeeeeeeeehh
Old February 12, 2005, 03:24 PM
BC Editorial Team

Yup, if there were two cricketers from the past generation who I wished were playing in this - it would be Atahar & Prince. I think those two would have taken to Test cricket like fish to water.

Fwullah - good comments.
Old February 12, 2005, 03:52 PM
ODI Cricketer

I think Shawon (Humayun Ahmed's new wife) will play much better than Shanto, why don't we send her to UK.
Old February 12, 2005, 04:38 PM
ODI Cricketer

damn it?You are kidding guys.No more Hasibul............Wayward Bowler?
Old February 12, 2005, 09:35 PM
Cricket Legend

WHY Hasibul Hossain Shanto again???????????

In his ODI against India, Shanto's bowling figure was 6-0-53-0.
After this spell, the captain did not had the confidence on him to bring him back on to attack. I know some of you might say, he was not mentally ready to play this match. Then let us put some light on his performace lately:

The ODI against india on 27th December was his 1st international cricket after a long gap of 1 Year 3 Months. Before that last time he played ODI was in Faisalabad in Pakistan in 2003. His last 5 ODI bowling performances are as follows: 3-0-27-0, 5-0-31-0, 6-0-37-1, 6-0-30-0 and 6-0-53-0. In all of his last five matches, the Captain's (Khaled Mahmud and Habibul Bashar) did not have the courage to bring him back on to the attack after his 1st spell. Now tell me--who is Shanto? He is a pace bolwler intended sharing the new ball and perform as a attacking wicket taker. Bowling figures like 3-0-27-0, 5-0-31-0, 6-0-37-1, 6-0-30-0 and 6-0-53-0 is neither a economy bowling nor a wicket taking performance. Do you guys want our Captain to have some bowler in the team whom he (the Captain) can not dare to use for full 10 over spell???? Just give our captain a break!!! No more Shanto.

We certainly respect his contribution to the country. We also want to request him to allow us to remember him by his golden days!!
Old February 12, 2005, 10:27 PM

Even the original poster of this thread may not thought about these huge response.
Some of us are using ultimate language both in favor and against of inclusion Shanto
for England tour, while this issue is a dead one. We had a lot of discussion about him
soon after he was picked up for that last ODI against India. I think we had enough of it,
and need no more.
Old February 13, 2005, 12:32 AM
Cricket Legend

[]

Very nicely put indeed....I guess I just do get a bit carried away while talking bout the last generation of players...Take care...

Edited on, February 13, 2005, 1:54 PM GMT, by chinaman.
Reason: quotes removed. Please do not quote large posts, quote relevant part instead. Thanks.