facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 7, 2007, 08:44 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default a case for Alok Kapali

alok is almost universally disliked on this board. i too was one of his most vehement critics. this stemmed from the 2004 season, where alok was given at least 12 chances after he should have been dropped. the only player to get as many chances as alok is ashraful.

however, he was brought back against kenya, hit a crucial 50 that helped win us the game, and was then thrown back into the trash bin. he never got a decent opportunity.

much as how ashraful is taken from the middle order and forced to open, then after 3 or 4 failures is dropped from the team, the treatment of alok recently is a big mistake. those matches where he was picked, then batted at #9, and never got a chance to bowl, will tell members the point about the mismanagement: if you aren't going to use alok, don't pick him at all. it was wasting a whole spot in the XI.

another issue is that if tushar is picked time and time again, why not alok? you will find that alok's game has more merit than tushar's. yes i know, alok scored 89 and 85 against west indies, but what exactly has tushar done better than that to be included? nothing.

alok should be playing in the middle order at #5, 6, or 7. he was once noted to be very talented, and regardless the fact is that he can rotate the strike and pick up singles in the middle overs, like few of our players can.

and just as ash shouldn't have been shifted around here and there after just 2-3 innings, alok should have a steady 7-8 innings where he can get his feet adjusted.

bangladesh are not australia and so we don't have the luxury of only playing established in form batsman.

#OneTeam1Dream

Old February 7, 2007, 09:36 PM
Cricket Legend

I agree he is a better player than Tushar but sadly he is not in form now probably so the selectors cant pick him on the basis of past performances.
Old February 7, 2007, 10:17 PM
ODI Cricketer

Alok has 2 80 odd, Tushar has none. But in terms of quality Alok is best player on the position that is no 6 and later. I do not consider Tusher even as top 3 on his position at number 3. This make certainly a case for Alok. But unfortunately I fail to see one good score of Alok in the ongoing domestic season while Tusher actually performed. I do not want to start a war on Ash. So I am refraining myself making any comment on him.
Old February 8, 2007, 03:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

I think the BD team has now reached to a point where they dont want to change the team that much. Comfort has been reached by playing players like Saqib, Farhad, Mehrab, Sometimes Tusher etc. against weak opponents that we are thinking that the current squad is good enough to play against stronger teams like SA, Pakistan. Barring Saqib and Shahrier, who has been amazingly consistent for the last couple of years, none of the new comers have been really all that great even agaist Zimbabwe like teams. Hence, you see quality players like Alok, Rana, Nafis, Rajin being out of favor. Granted, these players now will have to work hard to get their place back in the squad as the team management is pretty determined about the performance in local league... but all that goes out the window when you see the 'fuls' still in the squad. As for Alok,, he has to do more. He has to play a Heroic role for few seasons if he has to come back like Sharif ( only to be included as a 12th man and not be played at all before dropped again)
Old February 8, 2007, 04:35 AM
Cricket Legend

I dont think there's any time to try playing alok again. He screws up everytime he is given a chance and i really dont think there's any use for him in the team. The only way to bring him back in is if we drop ashraful and put alok in a number 6 position. That would be the best spot for him. But due to the fact that the world cup is nearing, i wouldnt drop ashraful because he can inflict the most damage when he is in form. Hopefully thats during the world cup, though its highly unlikely.
Old February 8, 2007, 08:37 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

A case for alok kapali and I won't give my two cents, is that possible? No.

To start with, why alok was played at #9 is still an enigma to me. The only solution I could come up with is that selectors wanted him badly and forced his inclusion in the playing eleven. Then someone from coach and/or captain wanted to protest that within their capacity and played him at #9.

going back to the original question: is TI better than AK? Its really hard to compare. One, playing really good everywhere except for national team and whenever brought into national team choking to death and scoring single digit. Other riding on the two 80s for year after year. There is only one thing common between these two: the both are worthless. They both can make a good a-team and should stay there permanently. And thanks God we are past that stage that we have to look behind for these players. TI is still hanging in the squad, but as expected running the water at best. And we have a better set of batsmen than them

1. SN
2. MHJ (since we started using him, I'm opposed to throwing him out too early)
3. AA
4. HB
5. MA
6. SH
7. KM/MR
+4 bowlers.

In reserve, there stays FR, RS and Tamim (another TI).

Last edited by Rubu; February 8, 2007 at 12:49 PM..
Old February 8, 2007, 09:12 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: sreesanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
playing really good everywhere except for national team and whenever brought into national team choking to death and scoring single digit. Other riding on the two 80s for year after year. There is only one thing common between
I think, that's the case for most of our players. They are all the same.."Mostly a spineless supine bunch".
Old February 8, 2007, 09:45 AM
Cricket Sage

rubu, i'm guessing AH is aftab ahmed?

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 8, 2007, 10:07 AM

Yeah AF, thanks for the correction.
Old February 8, 2007, 10:25 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Look at our batting line up.

Mehrab and Sakib: Absolutely unproven at this level. Not enough domestic experience either.
Shahriar Nafees: Only one fifty and a handful matches against the top8 teams.
Aftab and Ashraful: Talented but extremely inconsistent. Dont expect anything more than a smashing 30.
Bashar: Always poor in ODIs. Highest score of 78 is ample proof.

Ok, so where does our batting really stand now? We need all our batsmen to step up to be competitive. Middle order is our weakest link. People like Kapali, Tushar, Al Shahriar, Rajin have to be on the periphery of selection. We still dont have a core who score runs more often than not. So, dont discard the stalwarts yet, they are very much in the reckoning.
Old February 8, 2007, 11:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaring tigerz
Look at our batting line up.

Mehrab and Sakib: Absolutely unproven at this level. Not enough domestic experience either.
Shahriar Nafees: Only one fifty and a handful matches against the top8 teams.
Aftab and Ashraful: Talented but extremely inconsistent. Dont expect anything more than a smashing 30.
Bashar: Always poor in ODIs. Highest score of 78 is ample proof.

Ok, so where does our batting really stand now? We need all our batsmen to step up to be competitive. Middle order is our weakest link. People like Kapali, Tushar, Al Shahriar, Rajin have to be on the periphery of selection. We still dont have a core who score runs more often than not. So, dont discard the stalwarts yet, they are very much in the reckoning.
Old February 8, 2007, 11:22 AM
Cricket Sage

Yes I also strongly beleive that Hannan Sarkar should be given another chance.

....... ops sorry.... wrong thread
Old February 8, 2007, 12:14 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

One coment

Tusher scored a lot of runs with A team when he is thown away from BD team but kapali failed to do so.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old February 8, 2007, 12:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

I think our selectors have finally figured it out. Since Tushar always score heavily in domestic cricket and deserve a chance to be in the national squad, our selctors choose him in the squad. But they also know how miserably he fails when he plays for the national team, so they don't let him play any games.

Ek dile dui pakhi. Kono controversy holo na. They are giving importance to the performance in the domestic circuit and at the same time, they are not hurting national performance.

Joke aside, for number 6 position I would prefer Kapali over Tushar. Kapali had to face a lot of criticism over the years for not performing upto the expection and rightly so but I think he can be good fit in number 6 slot. Tushar should only play up the order if he ever get a chance again. He would fail miserably if he play at number 6.
Old February 8, 2007, 01:04 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Golla marar por Hablu Tushar bollo Kopal amar purey Ash hoiye gasey. karon hishabey paposh'a pisla khawar kotha bollo. Shala Rascle Raijing star, bribe hishabey farooq'rey dollar ditey giya Shariff'er hatey dhora porsey.

All mentioned above are worthless. pinch of salt please.
Old February 10, 2007, 02:15 AM
Club Cricketer

he is one person for whom the selecters and management are to be blamed. not used properly. he needs a role. he is definately a ones and twos starter who can hit it in the finishing overs. that means a finisher. remember he and aftab against sri lanka. legspin 10 overs as fifth bowler. why not?
Old February 10, 2007, 05:03 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

i would like to see rokon given another chance to play for BD team. he has been performing well in domestic and premier league
Old November 13, 2007, 12:46 AM
Cricket Sage

brought this back for sohel bhai's reading pleasure...last post was waaay before sohel joined BC

#OneTeam1Dream
Old November 13, 2007, 04:07 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

I think one or two good innings can change thin things for Alok, thinks didnt go right on him.
Old November 13, 2007, 08:29 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Thank you Asad ...

Let's hope for the sake of our team that he makes a better transition to international cricket this time with a string of good international performances, and subsequently prove some of his more fair-minded naysayers wrong.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old November 13, 2007, 11:46 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

In another thread, i wrote about the necessity of a well planned selection policy. Unluckily which we don't have. I don't see any mature middle order batsman to be left out of the squad. Alok has been regarded as one of the most talented batsmen in Bangladesh.

Who are those consisant enough players in bangladesh team? If the answer is 'none' then why just kicking on Alok's *** who's in form now?

Note: I am not a blind fan of Alok. But I would like to see mature inform young batsmen instead of kids in the team.
Old November 13, 2007, 12:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
In another thread, i wrote about the necessity of a well planned selection policy. Unluckily which we don't have. I don't see any mature middle order batsman to be left out of the squad. Alok has been regarded as one of the most talented batsmen in Bangladesh.

Who are those consisant enough players in bangladesh team? If the answer is 'none' then why just kicking on Alok's *** who's in form now?

Note: I am not a blind fan of Alok. But I would like to see mature inform young batsmen instead of kids in the team.
Basically Alok is fighting for a spot with Either Mehrab Jr. or sakib. I think sakib is automatic choice for selectors. So now comes down to mehrab vs Kapali. I like Jr. cause he has played in Autralia a lot more than kapali and kapali can't score out side BD... but selector might think other wise...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old November 16, 2007, 10:58 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

What type of case we are talking about?
Battery? Fraud? Abuse? Neglect? Minor? Major? Assult? Terroristic threatening? Trafic violation? Small claim court? Insurance case? Case study (What subject)? Case of inconsistency? Pencil Case? Project? Briefcase? or

Mental Case?
Old November 16, 2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
What type of case we are talking about?
Battery? Fraud? Abuse? Neglect? Minor? Major? Assult? Terroristic threatening? Trafic violation? Small claim court? Insurance case? Case study (What subject)? Case of inconsistency? Pencil Case? Project? Briefcase? or

Mental Case?
Its a fraud case. Making some people think something that he is not.
Old November 16, 2007, 11:33 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
Its a fraud case. Making some people think something that he is not.
Good one Rubu.