facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 31, 2004, 09:48 PM
Test Cricketer

Default BD- Zim 1st test team selection - your choice

We all have been waiting for this test match eagerly with high hope - our first test victory. As we don't afford to faulter in this occasion, I guess we should start discussing 1st test line up with minute detail considering all known parameters and then predict some.

As I understand we are gonna have a dust bowl which will start cracking from third day, obviously team compositing will reflect that, having our infamous batting collapse in mind.

So here is my team (batting order wise)

Openers
1. Javed Omar
From the looks of his recent performance and body language we can safely assume that he is reaching the end of his career in alarming pace. Though he would not make my ODI team anymore, but I reckon he is good enough to see inexperienced Zimbabwe opening bowlers off and then stay bit longer, if he is up for it mentally.

2. Nafis Iqbal:
We all know he is talented and have what it takes to survive the rigour of international test cricket with little tweak in his mind-set which may come with experience as we all hope. Probebly he will be given a good run in the team before getting an obvious 'Ashraful treatment'. My prediction? Either he will score a century in one of the tests if teams moral remains as high as it's now or he will fail miserably in tests which will continue in ODI series too.

Middle Order
3. Habibul Bashar:
In test matches, Bashar still remains our batting back-bone as he is the only one who holds a decent average. You can never predict where Bashar's next century will come from, but he should be salivating to belt couple of long innings after prolong absence good form.

4. Md. Ashraful :
Technically he is the best batsman in the team now, but one may still worry about his consistancy. But he is getting there. I'm always impressed with his batting temperament.
Couple of failures and couple of big knocks would be considered as usual performace.

5. Rajin Saleh:
Pretty much usual story for a Bangladeshi talent - glimpses of high potential in debut series followed by an average series and then customary long run of form slump. He should come at number 5 as in my team best two batsmen comes at number 3 and 4. He should take a leaf out of Ash's book to get rid of 'nervous 40s' - a cricketing term he provoked us to invent!

6. Aftab Ahmed:
Young talent. He hasn't done anything spectacular in test matches like his fellow batch mate Nafis but showed some glimpses of talent here and there. I sense his confidence is growing slowly and he will come good soon. Since we are using only 2 genuine pace bowler he will be used as stock 3rd seamer, according to the seletors. He would be better off scoring few big knocks as people see him more obvious choice in ODIs than in test matches.

Wicket keeper
7. Khaled Masud
Khaled remains our best option as wicket keeper-batsman shall I say! He is an experienced campaigner and slowly getting better everyday! Apart from quality keeping we would like to see some big knocks, just to increase his test batting average that reflects his batting talent.

Bowlers
8. Naimur Rahman:
Surprize surprize! Yes, if he is in good form and has right attitude then he should be pairing up with Rafique regardless whoever we are playing against. A world class SLA and a quality OB bowling in tendam could cause havock to any non sub-continental teams. I hear he is in good form with bat too? I know he refused to play in the 3-day match, but may be we should give him a chance or two (?) to pair up with Rafique to show us what he can do when he is in good form?

9. Md. Rafique
World class. period.
My personal expection is to take 10-wicket haul in both matches. Long overdue, he deserves it.

10. Mashrafee Mortaza:
Our captain should still be careful to handle him properly - let him bowl in small spells of 4-6 overs. He will get some wickets and inject fear to opponents as usual, but please be prepared to see some quick-fire runs too.

11. Tapash Baisya
He is a different bowler when he bowls with Mashrafee. Had a poor run of form recently, but a good performance is always round the corner.

12th man
Alak Kapali : Zimbabwe has 3 leg spinners in their squad, so he should be bowling in nets as much as he can to prepare batsmen. Sorry Kaps, You just need a liitle more time to get into test fold, but I promise to include you in few ODIs.

All of my positive predictions are made on the basis of current team morale. But be warned. there is only a fine line between confidence and complacency.

Bring them on.

Edited on, January 1, 2005, 3:01 AM GMT, by Zephaniah.
Reason: Err...

Old January 1, 2005, 12:29 AM
Club Cricketer

exactly.. i mean about naimur..he is a good off break bowler with very good cricketing brain after nannu(the best ever in bd cricket) and he had the right attitude when he last played ODI.
Old January 1, 2005, 01:34 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Agree with your selection (except Naimur Rahman). I would pick Enamul Haque Jnr or Abdur Razzak for that place.
Old January 1, 2005, 02:37 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

I think Enamul Haque is better choice for that place than Naimur Rahman. Yes Durjoy is playing well in local league but 1 thing local league & international status not same thing.yeah he played for national team but that is long time ago. Now time changed. So, Durjoy should come into National team through "BCB XI" / "A Team". As Mohammad Sharif is playing 3 days match as a memeber of "BCB XI". I m saying this coz we have seen may players come from local league into national team & couldn't perform. So, better they come thorugh pipe line
Old January 1, 2005, 02:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Naimur is still the best. I think he should have been continued as a captain. He has the attitude and skills. He is the best perfomer to date in the league. Its a darn childish to compare him with razzaque or Enamul Haque Jr. Besides they are all left arm spinners.

On what basis are you comparing him? If it is by performance than I dont think you will compare Naimur with Razzaque or others. THough I think at the end Enam will make his place agian in the squad but truely we need another right arm spinner and a good allrounder.
Old January 1, 2005, 02:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Nafis
Javed
Bashar
Ashraful
Aftab
Rajin
Pilot
Rafique
Tapash
Mashrafe
Nazmul
Old January 1, 2005, 03:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

1. Nafis
2. Javed
3. Basher
4. Ash
5. Aftab
6. Rajin
7. Masud
8. Rafique
9. Mashrafee
10. Taposh
11. Enam Jr.

# Rana can be another option in place of Nafees and in that case, Rajin and JO will open!

Edited on, January 1, 2005, 8:28 AM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.
Old January 1, 2005, 03:34 AM
ODI Cricketer

i want shahriar nafees ahmed in place of nafis iqbal. this guy just scored 97 against zimbabwe today and scored an unbeaten 99 day b4 in domestic cricket.
Old January 1, 2005, 03:37 AM
Club Cricketer

Nafees Ahmed scored a 97 against Zimb today? Can you provide more information about the match? Scorecard? More detail?
Old January 1, 2005, 03:40 AM
ODI Cricketer

BCB 195/7
nafees 97
rajin 38
source: channel I
Old January 1, 2005, 04:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

I think Shahrier Nafees will get a chance in ODI first!
Old January 1, 2005, 05:12 AM
Banned

shahriar nafees ahmed may get a chance in ODI. But in the test ? that will be a early chance for him.
Old January 1, 2005, 06:45 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Mueid
i want shahriar nafees ahmed in place of nafis iqbal. this guy just scored 97 against zimbabwe today and scored an unbeaten 99 day b4 in domestic cricket.
Nafis also scored an aggressive century against England in a practice match last year, but when got selected for the team didn't do much.
Old January 1, 2005, 07:04 AM
Test Cricketer

My choise fot1st 11
1.Nafis
2.javed
3.Rajin
4.Bashar
5.Ashraful
6.Aftab
7.Rana
8.Masud
9.Rafique
10.Taposh
11.Mashrafee

Edited on, January 1, 2005, 12:06 PM GMT, by mr-khan.

Edited on, January 1, 2005, 12:06 PM GMT, by mr-khan.
Old January 1, 2005, 07:05 AM
Test Cricketer

Edited on, January 1, 2005, 12:05 PM GMT, by mr-khan.
Old January 1, 2005, 08:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Tushar Imran scored 102* in this match, he's more experienced, has some good ODI perfomance in past. I think he's a better choice than Nafees Ahmed for this ODI series.
Old January 1, 2005, 10:41 AM
ODI Cricketer

I dont wanna see Javed Omar either in test or ODI. Now-a-days he is simply horrible.
I like Tusar Imran in ODI. But in Test an opening position is still open...
See no one to fill up.. I want to give more chance to Nafis Iqbal.
Old January 1, 2005, 11:42 AM
Test Cricketer

I would keep the team that played India almost the same. Replacements, if only necessary, will be for Mushfiq Babu or Rana. I will bring in one true attacking spinner, Enamul, Jr. or Razzaq Raj. Note that Rafiq is economic, but not as attakcing as Raj or enamul.
Old January 1, 2005, 12:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I will bring in one true attacking spinner, Enamul, Jr. or Razzaq Raj. Note that Rafiq is economic, but not as attakcing as Raj or enamul.
I think Razzaq is the most defensive among 3 of them