facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

View Poll Results: If the elections were held today, who'd you vote for?
Official AL Candidate 4 12.50%
Rebel But Viable AL Candidate 7 21.88%
Official BNP Candidate 1 3.13%
Rebel But Viable BNP Candidate 1 3.13%
Left Candidate (JSD, BSD, Workers Party, CPB etc) 1 3.13%
Islamist Candidate (Jamaat, IOJ, Hefazot-backed) 2 6.25%
None of the Above 16 50.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 4, 2013, 03:31 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin
BDFlag Monthly BC Poll: If Elections Were To Be Held Today

I DON'T believe BC to be a microcosm of Bangladesh in any way, shape or form but do think the forum to be a fair representation of an NRB-heavy Bangali petit-bourgeoisie, roughly 20% of the population.

Please cast you vote and tell us why. tell us what local and national issues matter most to you. There'll be a new poll leading up to the actual elections.

Oops, forgot the BJPs who may contest these elections on their own. Please write them in and I'll keep track.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 4, 2013, 04:29 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Ami Na vote dibo..goto bar e daoa uchit chilo..ebar na vote na thakle vote e dibona
Old May 4, 2013, 04:31 AM
First Class Cricketer

People not voting

You lose the right to bitch when you don't participate, no matter how craptacular the candidates are. I know they are all liars and criminals, but we have to vote. I'm going with a Hefazot backed candidate. I want to see the Promised Land(Israel naa)
Old May 4, 2013, 04:34 AM
Test Cricketer

If Yunus runs for election, I will consider his election platforms and might vote for him. Or someone outside the current status quo.
Old May 4, 2013, 09:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

never followed bd politics. grew up outside however i think i like hasina, ppl hating hasina interview with amanpour, i liked it haha...

never had chance to see khaleda grilling.... only her looks used to appeal to me at younger age.

so my vote hasina unless i see khaleda in action...any link? and her party should distance itself from religious centric group/party for my vote..
Old May 4, 2013, 09:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Any leg break bowler

Some people are demoralizing the youth of bangladesh to have least interest in politics, its a dirty thing, smart people never go there and so on.., you know who they are and what is their motive to keep our young generation away from it.
Old May 4, 2013, 10:26 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Not voting.
Old May 4, 2013, 12:31 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

this term AL's.. next term bnp's.... thats how the story continues whether you vote or not...
Old May 4, 2013, 01:15 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Its hard to choose the lesser of the two evils. So instead of voting for the party, I would rather vote for the better candidate. The candidate that will be good for my area and works for its improvement. I will vote for him/her.

Party loyalty should go. People should vote for their respective candidate.
Old May 5, 2013, 03:13 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
Its hard to choose the lesser of the two evils. So instead of voting for the party, I would rather vote for the better candidate. The candidate that will be good for my area and works for its improvement. I will vote for him/her.

Party loyalty should go. People should vote for their respective candidate.
I'm loyal to the party's ideals and vote for candidates who demonstrably adhere to those ideals. Sadly, only certain rebel candidates like Ivy, rather than the official ones who actually purchased their nomination with about BDT 20 to 25 crore per head.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 5, 2013, 03:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
I'm loyal to the party's ideals and vote for candidates who demonstrably adhere to those ideals. Sadly, only certain rebel candidates like Ivy, rather than the official ones who actually purchased their nomination with about BDT 20 to 25 crore per head.
The Party's ideal is defined by the Party leaders. If you look at it that way, the AL has mutated significantly from the ideals on which it were founded to now become a completely different political entity.

Look at the US Republican party today? It was born on an anti-slavery platform had it's golden progressive era during the McKinley to Roosevelt era (1890s to 1930s ish) - and look now? A bastion of neocons and retrograde conservatives. The AL too has mutated into nothing more than a vessel for a selected class of oligarchs to maintain and preserve their wealth. It's a sorry mutant - but still carries some atavistic and vestigial remnants of it's glory beginnings - such as more than lip service to secularism.

But in the end - it is not what it used to be and the mutation is reversible.

Sohel - methinks, you hanker after this illusory AL like one hankers after one's first love. She has moved on and she is no longer who you think who she was. Your only cure is to find a new love.

Last edited by Zunaid; May 5, 2013 at 05:28 AM..
Old May 5, 2013, 06:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid

Sohel - methinks, you hanker after this illusory AL like one hankers after one's first love. She has moved on and she is no longer who you think who she was. Your only cure is to find a new love.
oh no. dont give him this advice.
Old May 5, 2013, 03:02 AM
Cricket Savant

We have over 90% voter turnout in Bangladesh. Thank GOD Bangladesh isn't BC when it comes to voting.
Old May 5, 2013, 04:57 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
We have over 90% voter turnout in Bangladesh. Thank GOD Bangladesh isn't BC when it comes to voting.
And it turned out quite well for the country, hasn't it?

Taking turns electing two parties because of ideological reasons. Instead of going against the status quo we keep electing the same people and expecting different results and look how far we have come.

If anything we should be concerned that 90% voters are conformist following a ideological train to no where.
Old May 5, 2013, 06:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
are they all real turn around or a lot of vote churi?

thats a really rezlly high number...
Old May 5, 2013, 04:25 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Had enough with BNP and AL. Will vote for Jatio Party if they run independently
Old May 5, 2013, 05:27 AM
Cricket Legend

It depends on who gets the nomination in my area. If there's a good, clean candidate, I will vote for him/her. As things stand right now, if the status quo remains, it has to be the NA VOTE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Many, many young people I have talked to feel that Ershad should be given one last chance, because he's probably too old to be too corrupt at this stage of his life.
Old May 5, 2013, 06:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhurr
It depends on who gets the nomination in my area. If there's a good, clean candidate, I will vote for him/her. As things stand right now, if the status quo remains, it has to be the NA VOTE.

Many, many young people I have talked to feel that Ershad should be given one last chance, because he's probably too old to be too corrupt at this stage of his life.
Another reason being that most of us never lived under him. But I'll admit that what i hear of his time , at least the mid 80s, sounds better than any of our democracy years.
Old May 5, 2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhurr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
Another reason being that most of us never lived under him. But I'll admit that what i hear of his time , at least the mid 80s, sounds better than any of our democracy years.
The days of 80s are not the same as 2013. The looters, thugs and corruption level are not the same as 80s. There were still lot of good people in many Govt. institution, morality had some value still left in some sect, society. By now those people are cornered if not thrown out of system, replacing by boot lickers, looters or criminals. Never would be as easy as it was in 80s to manage and control the office, not just for Ershad but for anyone for that matter.

Ershad was ex top of army and had chain of command back then, people also were somewhat non-vocal against whoever army personal taking the charge of every institution of the Gvet., and back then it somewhat wroked. Corruption did exists back then but were limited compare to these days, and Systems were somewhat in place and controlled by his govt., but now? No way would be anywhere near to those days, expecting Ershad in power and his whatever good work of those days is nother delusion actually.
Old May 5, 2013, 07:50 AM
Cricket Savant

^ Very real. Vote theft is damn near impossible nowadays thanks to voter ID and database.
Old May 5, 2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
^ Very real. Vote theft is damn near impossible nowadays thanks to voter ID and database.
Is it really that the case Sohel bhai?

There is many ways it is done in Bangladesh...some are as follows:

> Threatening the minority not to go to vote
> Ususing the mastan to vote for specific candidate
> Ususing village leaders to vote for party candidate etc.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:30 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
Is it really that the case Sohel bhai?

There is many ways it is done in Bangladesh...some are as follows:

> Threatening the minority not to go to vote
> Ususing the mastan to vote for specific candidate
> Ususing village leaders to vote for party candidate etc.
You are old KP. So your thinking is old. Nowadays there is more simplier way of doing things. No one would can even challenge it. Program the software and auto vote. If still short then change vote. More than 40% don't vote. That is where the auto vote comes. These folks wouldn't even know they voted.

No need to distribute shari lungi among the commoners.
Old May 5, 2013, 01:38 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Back when the BNP was in power, I remember how people used to bemoan the fact that we had practically illiterate people holding senior posts of Government, as Ministers and State Ministers. What's even worse about this incumbent Government is the fact that it has really academically accomplished Ministers, who have proven to be just as capable of administrative bungling, policy blunders and corruption and suffer from the same foot-in-mouth disease. It's incredibly disillusioning.

This will be my first time voting in national elections and while I might be persuaded to vote for a rebel AL candidate; one who aligns with my views, I am becoming increasingly convinced that there is no such thing as a 'rebel' and viable candidate, given how the inner coterie of the AL ostracizes anyone who shows a hint of dissent.
Old May 5, 2013, 02:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

If I lived in Bangladesh, I would go for BAL as I am generally centre left regardless of where I live. Would like to see a change in leadership within BAL as well to someone with fresh ideas and who is willing to put country first and is actively monitoring such notion throughout the party as it should be. I think this might bring out more of the 'na' voters.
Old May 5, 2013, 07:21 PM
Cricket Guru

Very difficult question considering what our political parties are like. Hasina and Khaleda are both rediculous to a point where you don't even know which is the lesser of the evils. In that case, I will vote for anyone who opposes Jamat Islam. Currently that may seem like I would vote for AL and if that's so, then let it be. Bangladesh desperately needs a stronger 3rd party