facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 18, 2008, 03:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib
Default BCB against too much cricket

Thought this will be interesting reading
Staff Correspondent - NEW AGE>>

After agreeing to play two additional series against New Zealand and Pakistan, the Bangladesh Cricket Board on Friday said it will not welcome any more proposal of international cricket in the upcoming season.
According to the Future Tour Programme of the ICC, Bangladesh will host Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe for a Test series and a triangular one-day tournament in December-January and visit South Africa in November and West Indies in April next year.
In addition to that the BCB will host New Zealand in October and Pakistan in March, both of which are the part of bilateral arrangement.
Bangladesh visited New Zealand in December-January for two Tests and three one-day internationals while they played five ODIs and a Twenty20 match against Pakistan in April. Both the countries were committed to play the same number of matches against Bangladesh during the return visit.
It means Bangladesh are assured of at least eight Tests and 19 ODIs in seventh months from October. The BCB officials said they had the option to increase the number of games, but decided against it.
That is why the BCB had to remain content with two Tests against Sri Lanka and also drop the idea of playing a Test series against Zimbabwe after the January tri-nation tournament. Bangladesh played three Test matches against Sri Lanka on their tour to the country last year and could have easily asked for a similar series in December.
Zimbabwe, who are now out of Test cricket, were widely tipped to return to five-day cricket with the Bangladesh tour, but the BCB said they are not at all ready to entertain such request.
‘What I feel is that we are already assured of enough crickets in the next season. We don’t want any more cricket in the period,’ said Gazi Ashraf Hossain, the chairman of cricket operations committee of the BCB.
‘We have to give the players some respite so they can remain free from injury. Too much cricket does not give them enough time to rectify their defects, which is another issue we have to look at,’ added the former national captain.
Ashraf cited another particular reason for not being interested to host Zimbabwe for Test series. ‘We need at least $1 lakh to broadcast a Test on the television, which I think will be tough to recover by hosting Zimbabwe,’ said Ashraf.
‘If we need to play any Test against Zimbabwe, we would rather prefer to go there sometime in the future,’ he said. Putting back the idea of playing a Test series against Zimbabwe in January will also help Bangladesh’s domestic cricket, the official believes.
‘Clubs often complain of missing the national players in the league matches. I think we should seriously consider their causes as well,’ said Ashraf, who headed the Cricket Committee of Dhaka Metropolis until recently.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by reverse_swing; July 18, 2008 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: mod.content: Please try to add source link always. Thanks.

Old July 18, 2008, 03:39 PM
Cricket Guru

IMO, BCB should offer Zimbabwe four-day matches against our A-team, even if those matches interfere with our domestic leagues.
Old July 18, 2008, 03:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Eshen, I am sorry for posting the same thread as you. i checked to see if anyone had copied and pasted, you must have been doing it the same time that I did.

I do not know how to delete it. Hopefully, the mods will take care of this.
Old July 18, 2008, 03:51 PM
Cricket Guru

No problem sis, we two have posted those threads a minute away from each other. Anyway, I have deleted my post.
Old July 18, 2008, 03:58 PM
Cricket Guru

Why they(BCB) don't complain about too much losing too...
playing in leagues and playing intl cricket...apples and oranges...
that's our players score runs in leagues but in intl match can't hardly score 35+ runs.
if our BD bhuri ala players are tired..they should then pick players for A team or development team and keep on playing intl level crickets more often. Our A team and Development team are almost same like our national team (I know some of you will disagree).
Old July 18, 2008, 04:04 PM
Cricket Guru

8 Tests and 19 ODIs (in seven months period) are enough matches for an international side, BCB is doing the right thing by not arranging more matches. Also, there is no point losing money arranging Tests against Zimbabwe.
Old July 18, 2008, 04:21 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Saeed Anwar

Good call by BCB. Let the players train and play at home to correct their mistakes.
Old July 18, 2008, 04:30 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawah
Good call by BCB. Let the players train and play at home to correct their mistakes.
Salam,
and welcome back.
Old July 19, 2008, 05:00 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

But the idea of calling Zim here to play 3/4 FC matches against even A team won't be bad. Even though BD might fly to Zim coming Jan is a good idea.

roth o dekha holo kolao becha holo..
Old July 19, 2008, 07:38 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by zainab
Ashraf cited another particular reason for not being interested to host Zimbabwe for Test series. ‘We need at least $1 lakh to broadcast a Test on the television, which I think will be tough to recover by hosting Zimbabwe,’ said Ashraf.
‘If we need to play any Test against Zimbabwe, we would rather prefer to go there sometime in the future,’ he said. Putting back the idea of playing a Test series against Zimbabwe in January will also help Bangladesh’s domestic cricket, the official believes.
Deja-vu!
I've heard those words before!

Now, cant believe its coming from our Board Officials.

Fair enough, hosting Zim for a test series is not a good idea at the moment, given they have self-withdrawn from the test arenas and more importantly, it would hold absolutely zero value for our players in terms of real achievements.

But that does not mean BCB should start talking like a hypocrite. Coming from the mouth of an high ranked official at a time when we've been crying out loud exactly for the same reason that we've bn hearing from indian Board is really unfortunate.

What is the point of voting in favour of Zimbabwe's retention of full membership status if not backing it up with actions? Just shameless, spineless "chamchami" of Indian Board is not going to take us anywhere.

Even if we cant host Zim for test series, i still believe they should be invited for atleast 4-Day games with A team, Developement Squad, just to get the ball rolling for their cricket.

We are still sitting very comfortably on the bottom of the ladder and the words that comes out of our officials would make anyone think other way around.
IF Australia can manage to accomodate us even in the middle of their off-season, we certainly can manage to host Zimbabwe.

Since our earliest days of full membership, Zimbabwe have been one of the biggest partners of our developement and by virtue of relatively closer alliance ( they being 9th and we being 10th), have hosted/played agaisnt us more than any teams i guess.

Now they are down and low, it is our moral obligation to help them prevail their cricket for the long run and give the players the much needed game practice.

Imagine if the Zimbabwe of old, ie,the Flower brothers, Heath Streaks, Murray Goodwin, Taibu et al, could have continued to play for their country and maintain the amazing growth their cricket was having till Mugabe's intervention.

Wouldnt we be delighted to host them?

BCB should not forget thier own roots. Its time to repay.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old July 19, 2008, 10:30 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Zim has withdrawn from test, so what's the point of playing test with them?
Old July 19, 2008, 11:54 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

we should play 4 day with zim. they have some talented batsman and wretched bowlers.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 19, 2008, 12:48 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Well...as long as it's not burning the players out, I don't mind more matches. Specially against Zimbabwe and Ireland sort of teams...
Old July 19, 2008, 01:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

BCB = Nidhiram Shordar..
Old July 19, 2008, 01:20 PM
Cricket Guru

dhal nai tolowar nai
nidhiram shordar
Old July 19, 2008, 01:21 PM
Cricket Guru

btw if Zim is step down from how can we play test against them?
Then we can play 4 days FC match.
Old July 19, 2008, 04:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Zimbabwe is a team for BD to beat. I feel that they should visit Zim to play 5 ODIs.
They should reciprocate now, because Zim did come to BD quite a few times to play BD, so it is about time BD help them out, because it seems that other countries do not want to play them. It is a shame that politics is the reason, but I feel that ZIM cricket should not be penalized in this manner.

I can faintly recall that BD will tour WI in April, or is it the other way around?

Also I read on the Kenya Cricket website a while ago that there is the possibility of a quadrangular tournament in kenya in late October featuring Kenya, Bangladesh, Zim, and ireland.
Should be very interesting as it will pit the two lowest ranked Test teams against the two best ranked associate teams.

Is there any truth to this? This should be a great tournament for Bangladesh, because I am sure that they will win this competition.

Last edited by zainab; July 19, 2008 at 05:44 PM..
Old July 19, 2008, 05:54 PM
Test Cricketer

Just one question: Are we touring the Caribbean instead of hosting them?
Nevertheless, the probabilty of winning our 'first test' is quite high against the disintegrating Windies either way round.
Old July 19, 2008, 05:57 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Also I read on the Kenya Cricket website a while ago that there is the possibility of a quadrangular tournament in kenya in late October featuring Kenya, Bangladesh, Zim, and ireland.
Should be very interesting as it will pit the two lowest ranked Test teams against the two best ranked associate teams.

Is there any truth to this? This should be a great tournament for Bangladesh, because I am sure that they will win this competition.
That's out of the window sis. The title of this thread answers your question.
Old July 19, 2008, 06:11 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:

nope, now its only Kenya, Ireland and possibly Zimbabwe
Old July 25, 2008, 10:02 AM
Cricket Sage

Too much cricket is ok as long as:

a) they don't loose money and
b) they can take care of "player burnt out issue".

They can avoid loosing money by proper planning, marketing and by savvy negotiation. Plus if the end product is good ( that is they wins or give good fight), product is easy to sell.

They can address "player burnt out issue" by increasing the national player pool and roatting them. This may have short term "growing pain issue" but long term potential benefit. In key tournament in future they will be able to pick the best in-form players with enough experience.

So I say... go for it.... but have a good game plan first.
Old July 25, 2008, 01:04 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Goriber Ghora rog !!

They don't know what they will do with whatever little they have earned. Bankrupt on ideas.

If BCB wants to have a few world class stadiums and facilities for cricketers, it's no money what they have. They don't know what to do with it, so they have started talking like BCCI.

"Play 365/7/24 if you can find quality opponent" period. We can't forget the need to improve the standard of cric in BD. A long way to go.