facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 28, 2008, 06:35 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Khaled Mashud Pilot Retires from International Cricket

Khaled Mashud retires from International Cricket

Former Bangladesh captain Khaled Mashud has decided to retire from international cricket. Mashud informed the Bangladesh Cricket Board of his decision in a letter on Thursday, 25 September 2008.

'I intend to retire from all forms (Tests, ODIs & T20 Internationals) of international cricket with immediate effect. I have made this decision after a lot of soul searching and this is a very emotional moment for me.'

'For the last 13 years I have tried to serve the country to the best of my ability and I thank the Board for putting faith in my capabilities as a player and captain. I would also like to thank all the cricketers I have been privileged enough to have as teammates, coaches and officials for their support during my career as a Bangladesh player. It has been an honour to play for Bangladesh,' Mashud said in his letter.

BCB officials met Mashud today (Sunday, 28 September 2008) and a cordial discussion was held regarding his retirement plans. The Board later accepted the country's most successful wicketkeeper's decision to retire with considerable regret.

The BCB gratefully acknowledges Mashud's immense contribution to the National Team for over a decade and is heartened by the fact that he has offered his unconditional commitment to Bangladesh cricket and the cause of the game's development in this country.

Despite retiring from internationals, Mashud will continue to play first class for Rajshahi Division.

Mashud Facts

Specialty: Right-handed batsman/Wicketkeeper
ODI Debut: Against India at Sharjah on April 5, 1995
ODI Stats:

Matches
Innings
Not Out
Runs
Highest
Average
BF
SR
4s
6s
Catches
Stumpings
ODIs
71*

Test Debut: Against India at Dhaka on November 10, 2000
Test Stats:

Matches
Innings
Not Out
Runs
Highest
Average
BF
SR
4s
6s
Catches
Stumpings
Tests
103*

Media & Communications Department, BCB

Old September 28, 2008, 06:57 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafe
Default congratulations

happy retirement to you Khaled Mashud Pilot. Thanks for the memories.
Old September 28, 2008, 07:29 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Good Luck to Khaled Mashud Pilot on his future. I hope BCB wont let him go as he is one of the best cricketing knowledge in the country.
Old September 28, 2008, 08:27 AM
Cricket Savant

Thanks for serving the country, Khaled Masud. Wish you all the best.

Edit: Btw Hooters airlines hiring now...

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old September 28, 2008, 08:29 AM
ODI Cricketer

Its so funny. In an age where south asian cricketers keep on trying to prolong their careers, here's one that ended prematurely.

My hat's off to you sir. You were the best keeper in south asia.
Old September 28, 2008, 08:44 AM
Cricket Legend

thanks for the service. Though I am not his fan (I have not yet forgive him for his shoddy deals/actions in WC2003) I think this was not the right time for BCB to accept his retirement. We need someone with experience and mature head in the middle at this crunch time of our cricket. And for all his service to our cricket he deserved to say his goodbye to his fans/ antagonist from the field.
Old September 28, 2008, 09:03 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

He played his card right. There's no better time to retire.

Thanks Khaled Mashud for the great memories. And I shall never forget that six you have hit in the last over against Kenya in the ICC trophy which helped take us to the World Cup Cricket. I won't forget that kiss that you gave on your bat after that shot. Truly, that showed a real Tiger in you.

It's unfortunate that your career had to end in the way it did. You are still capable of doing better than anyone in the country with those pair of gloves. But since the model for cricket is changing, there are changing team requirements which others are filling in more effectively.

Once again...thank you for leading us to the world of international cricket, then to the world of Test cricket, and then to all those unforgettable memories.
Old September 28, 2008, 12:27 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Sad but an inevitable day for Bangladesh cricket.

Pilot will always be one of our greatest son's and an unsung hero.
His determination, perseverance and hard work should an example for everyone who is trying to make a name for himself in the international arena.

He has been our best wicket keeper by far and one of the best in Asia.

Thanks for your service.
Thanks for the memories.
Thanks for your committment and contribution to Bangladesh cricket.
You are a champion and will always be in our heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
I shall never forget that six you have hit in the last over against Kenya in the ICC trophy
He was the last one of our golden generation who, despite their limited abilities, put us on the global map and battled the war in our infant years.

Not everyone can walk with their head held high and Pilot has just done that.
He quit on his own terms with respect and dignity.
Salute to you.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old September 28, 2008, 09:03 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

salute! all my deep love and respect for you, khaled mashud pilot! best of luck with your future plans!
Old September 28, 2008, 09:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

My Salute to KHALED MASUD PAILOT!! Thanks for all the happy memories. Bangladeshi people will remember you for a long long time. Best wishes for Pailot's future life. We are going to miss him....
Old September 28, 2008, 09:34 AM
Cricket Sage

thnx boss for all the memories..specially the most important 666 in the history of Bangladesh Cricket...
Old September 28, 2008, 09:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Again another unnatural and untimely death of a cricketer because of this brainless BCB. I just can't digest the fact that BCB accepted and let him to retire in this crisis situation. We had only Pailot left who would have provided us some sort of experience in the team.
Old September 28, 2008, 10:56 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Sad that he wasn't given a last chance to appear in the tests. I'm sure, He wouldn't have been a liability for us in one match.

Have to learn to respect our players & our Cricket would benefit from that.

Last edited by BANFAN; September 28, 2008 at 12:58 PM..
Old September 28, 2008, 02:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Sad that he wasn't given a last chance to appear in the tests. I'm sure, He wouldn't have been a liability for us in one match.

Have to learn to respect our players & our Cricket would benefit from that.
Actually this is a retirement forced by the BCB. He was dropped for no good reason and never got another chance to play. BCB won't take any more chance on him. If they let him to play another match and he performs well (which is most likely), BCB will face more criticism in their efforts of destroying Bangladesh cricket.
Old September 28, 2008, 11:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

The best wicket keeper we ever had!!! BCB should involve him in training the new wicket keepers.
Old September 28, 2008, 11:07 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nannu, Ash, Mash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFVbc5Cxaog

6 at icc final
Old September 28, 2008, 11:41 AM
ODI Cricketer

Thank you Khaled Mashud Pilot.
Old September 28, 2008, 12:12 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

My salute to you my comrade. We will miss you. What a decent exit. No back biting no complains. The real Tiger of Bangladesh, with that six against Kenya you brought us to world level cricket. Our gratitude to you.
Old September 28, 2008, 12:28 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

A request to Miraz bhai,
Can you please compile all your tribute and pass it on to Rabeed Imam so that he can pass it on to Pilot.

Thanks.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old September 28, 2008, 12:31 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

good thinking from KM because after dhiman joined in icl........he didn't get chance in (24) bd training camp............bcb will him feel future that they need KM. because when MR will out of from...they will bring shagir..when saghir will also fail....what bcb will do that tim?
Old September 28, 2008, 12:59 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
good thinking from KM because after dhiman joined in icl........he didn't get chance in (24) bd training camp............bcb will him feel future that they need KM. because when MR will out of from...they will bring shagir..when saghir will also fail....what bcb will do that tim?
...maybe will go to ashiqul islam? if he fails then...who is in the under-15 team?
Old September 28, 2008, 01:08 PM
Banned

Default আন্তর্জাতিক ক্রিকেট থেকে খালেদ মাসুদের বিদায়

ঢাকা, ২৮ সেপ্টেম্বর (বিডিনিউজ টোয়েন্টিফোর ডটকম) --- শেষ হয়ে গেল আন্তর্জাতিক ক্রিকেটে খালেদ মাসুদ পাইলট অধ্যায়। অবসরের সিদ্ধান্তটা তিনি গত বৃহস্পতিবারই (২৫ সেপ্টেম্বর) চিঠি দিয়ে জানিয়ে দিয়েছিলেন বাংলাদেশ ক্রিকেট বোর্ডকে (বিসিবি)। তবে তার সঙ্গে আলোচনার পর রোববার মাসুদের অবসর অনুমোদন করেছে বোর্ড। অর্থাৎ দেশের ইতিহাসের সেরা উইকেটকিপার এবং বাংলাদেশ দলের সাবেক অধিনায়কের আন্তর্জাতিক ক্রিকেট থেকে অবসর কার্যকর হয়ে গেল এদিন থেকেই। তবে ঘরোয়া ক্রিকেটে তিনি খেলবেন। আসন্ন জাতীয় ক্রিকেট লিগে রাজশাহী বিভাগীয় দলকে নেতৃত্বও দেবেন।

যদিও আন্তর্জাতিক ক্রিকেটকে বিদায় জানানোর মুহূর্তটায় তার বেশ কষ্ট হচ্ছে, "এই সিদ্ধান্ত নেওয়ার পর থেকেই আমি রীতিমতো অসুস্থ হয়ে পড়েছি। খুব খারাপ লাগছে।" এই খারাপ লাগার কিছুটা মাঠ থেকে বিদায় নিতে না পারার জন্য । প্রচার আছে, মাঠ থেকে বিদায় নেওয়ার সুযোগ করে দেওয়ার জন্য বিসিবিকে দেওয়া চিঠিতে অনুরোধও জানিয়েছিলেন তিনি। কিন্তু বাংলাদেশ দলের সাবেক অধিনায়ক জানালেন সেটা অপপ্রচার ছাড়া আর কিছুই নয়,"আমি তো কারো দয়া-মায়ায় কখনো ক্রিকেট খেলিনি। সবসময় নিজের যোগ্যতাতেই খেলেছি। ওরকম কোনো অনুরোধ আমি করিনি।" তবে আইসিএল-ঝড় পরবর্তী দলে ডাক পাবেন বলে আশা করেছিলেন। কিন্তু ডাক না পাওয়াতেই অবসরের সিদ্ধান্ত নেওয়াটা সহজ হয়ে গেছে তার কাছে, "আমি ভেবেছিলাম আমাকে ডাকা হবে। সেটা না পাওয়াতেই বুঝে গেছি আমার আর সুযোগ নেই। আমি আর বিষয়টা ঝুলিয়ে রাখতে চাইনি।"
Old September 28, 2008, 01:42 PM
Banned

Default Khaled Mashud Pilot in memories

Last edited by Ehsan; September 28, 2008 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: distorting page frame
Old September 28, 2008, 12:50 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Hats off - Khaled Mashud Pilot

So many happy memories- Your first appearance in Int. Cricket (ODI) at Sarjah vs India (1995) when I was a 10th grader and saw you first time on TV, that unforgettable SIX in ICC Tournament final (1997), that unbeaten century in our first test in Caribbean Soil (2004), regular match winning innings for Abahani etc.....so many things to remember.
Good luck!!
Old September 28, 2008, 12:52 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

The CI article on front page:

Mashud announces retirement
Cricinfo staff
September 28, 2008

Khaled Mashud, the former Bangladesh captain and wicketkeeper, has announced his retirement from all forms of international cricket. The Bangladesh Cricket Board has accepted the decision, stated by Mashud in a letter to them on Thursday.

"I have made this decision after a lot of soul searching and this is a very emotional moment for me," Mashud said. "For the last 13 years I have tried to serve my country to the best of my ability and I thank the board for putting faith in my capabilities as a player and captain.

"I would also like to thank all the cricketers I have been privileged enough to have as team-mates, coaches and officials for their support during my career as a player. It has been an honour to play for Bangladesh."

Mashud, 32, has been one of the most successful wicketkeepers for Bangladesh since their introduction into international cricket, with 169 catches and 44 stumpings in all forms. He made his Test debut in Bangladesh's inaugural Tests, against India in Dhaka in 2000-01, and played his first one-dayer against the same opponents at Sharjah in 1995.

He was handed the captaincy when Naimur Rahman was sacked after the home defeat to Zimbabwe late in 2001. However, he could not stop Bangladesh's woeful run, and quit the captaincy after the 2003 World Cup.

Mashud continued to remain a key figure in the side and his finest hour came in St Lucia in June 2004, when his unbeaten second-innings knock of 103 secured Bangladesh a draw in their first Test in the Caribbean. He was also part of the Bangladesh team during their first Test win, over Zimbabwe in Chittagong in January 2005.

Mashud courted controversy over his comments to Bangladesh daily, the Daily Star , when he said he should have been an "automatic choice" for the 2007 World Cup squad. Taken to be a breach of contract, he was fined 50% of an ODI match fee subsequently. Mashud was ultimately dropped in favour of Mushfiqur Rahim, having played his last ODI against Zimbabwe in Bogra in 2006.

Bangladesh's most-capped player with 170 appearances in all formats, he scored 1818 runs in 126 ODIs at 21.90, with 91 catches and 35 stumpings. He also scored 1409 runs at 19.04 in 44 Tests with 78 catches and nine stumpings, playing his last match against Sri Lanka in Colombo in June 2007.

Along with Javed Omar, he was not handed new contracts by the BCB in June 2008 after the board had reduced the duration of the contract from one year to six months for a few senior players in December 2007.

He was appointed as a consultant by the Bangladesh board's games development committee along with Aminul Islam and Mohammad Rafique to coach age-group and academy cricketers in August 2008. Mashud will, however, continue to play first-class cricket for Rajshahi Division in Bangladesh's National Cricket League, which begins from October 10.