facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 12, 2012, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Default Bangkok 5 days

We were thinking of making a family trip there and were considering suites as opposed to hotels. We've also been looking at boutique hotels.

One we are looking at is the Sathorn Vista. It's a Marriott executive Apt. located in Sathorn. I was wondering about the location - good/bad/?

Has anyone heard of the Ariyasomvilla? This is a boutique hotel near 'Sukhomvit Soi". What about this location?

We ere planning to stay there about 4/5 nights - no plans of heading outside of the city.
Old February 13, 2012, 12:04 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Both places looks nice Z bhai but none of them seem to be near the MRT or the BTS Sky Train stations.

Ariyasomvilla says its near Bungrungrad Hotel. Personally i do not like that area and the walk to the sky train station (Nana i assume) would be through a semi red light district area.

If you are planning to avoid Traffic jams and getting to shopping malls then I would advice you search for one which is very close to a Sky Train station. Somewhere near "Siam", "Chitlom", "Ploenchit", "Asok", "Ari" would be a nice areas to stay.

In bangkok I stayed only in hotels... Centara at Central Chitlom, Novotel at Siam Square, and Asia Hotel were all pretty convinient and very close to shopping districts.
Old February 13, 2012, 12:14 AM
Administrator

Thanks J!

We do not intend to do much shopping. Mostly sightseeing and perhaps make a day trip out to, say, Pattaya? How easy and convenient are taxis in Bangkok?

Asia Hotel? Is this the one that's been around for ages? I remember an Asia Hotel I stayed in last time i was in Bangkok (that was in 1975 - hah).

I will look at the ones you stayed. Over Christmas break we stayed at a boutique hotel in Hanoi and loved the experience. We might do the same.

We were looking at the Shanghai Mansion in Chinatown but I hear getting taxi in and out might be a bitch.

http://www.shanghaimansion.com/bangk...kok-hotel.html
Old February 13, 2012, 02:14 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Taxis are very easy and convenient to get in Bangkok. Should not be any problem at all. I know quite a few Taxi people in case you want to reserve one when you go out of town. Depending on what you want to see/do you can plan to visit the following places:

Khao Yai National park (Greenery Resort, Bonanza Resort are both great places to stay over there each having it's own amusement park)

Kanchanaburi Water fall

Pattaya (Hard Rock Hotel, Hilton Pattaya)

If you want a real vacation to the beach then I suggest you take the domestic flight to Krabi and then head off to Phi Phi Islands. http://www.thailand-islands.com/thai...Phi-island.JPG
Old February 13, 2012, 02:29 AM
Administrator

Thanks J. We are putting off Krabi/Phuket etc off for synchronizing with friends later this year or next.
Old February 13, 2012, 02:45 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Be careful with Local buses when you travel to relatively remote area. One of my friends got robbed while he was there with his newly wed wife. He complained to police but no one seemed to help them. He said, local bus company, police and hijackers are all linked. Their aim target is foreign tourists.

So, please be careful while traveling to other cities than BKK.
Old February 13, 2012, 09:12 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
Be careful with Local buses when you travel to relatively remote area. One of my friends got robbed while he was there with his newly wed wife. He complained to police but no one seemed to help them. He said, local bus company, police and hijackers are all linked. Their aim target is foreign tourists.

So, please be careful while traveling to other cities than BKK.
Tao valo apnar friend prime minister re at least maaf kore dise link na koira
Old February 13, 2012, 03:11 AM
Administrator

Thanks Naimul. I will call in Seal Team 6.
Old March 1, 2012, 12:48 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Thanks Naimul. I will call in Seal Team 6.
Did someone call me?
Old March 1, 2012, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
Did someone call me?
You are the soiled team 6.
Old February 16, 2012, 01:40 AM
Cricket Savant

I strongly suggest watching Bangkok Dangerous starring Nicolas Cage to get a feel for what is to come...
Old February 16, 2012, 01:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
I strongly suggest watching Bangkok Dangerous starring Nicolas Cage to get a feel for what is to come...
I am practicing my Muai Thai.

BTW - are you stalking me from thread to thread. Getting too uppity with the "impending" win?
Old March 1, 2012, 02:04 AM
Administrator

What would you suggest to visit in 5 days in BKK around a day trip away. I'm interested in culture, history, and food. Shopping not so unless there is an incredible deal. I've been here before but that was a gazillion years ago. So this falls into my South East Asia bucket list. Heh. That leaves Laos and Myanmar. We almost went to the former when we went to Vietnam this winter and I was not going to pander to the junta in Myanmar. Now that it has eased off.... Some family friends went their this winter and they had fabulous time. But I digress ... BKK things to do.

Here is what I have been looking at:

• Temples, temples, and temples. Wat for? We are into visiting temples, the more ancient the better. Wat Pho, Wat Arun, Wat Phra Kaeo, Wat Traimit
  • Food, food, and food: Any restaurant recommendations? Blue Elephant? We are also planning to take a Thai cooking course once there. Street food: Or Tor Gor?
  • Klong kruising
  • Other sites:? Ancient Siam, The Grand Palace, Jim Thomson House, Chinatown, ..
I usually buy a pay-as-you-go SIM with a data plan at the airport (whenever available). For a week, 3GB is more than enough and I can do 1GB at a pinch. Looks like dtac (Happy) brand seems to be a good one. I assume just like most places you can top up at 7-11?

I guess all these questions ate directed at you Jadukor.
Old March 1, 2012, 02:38 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Wat phra kaew/emerald buddha temple is a great place to visit. There is also the ancient city in ayuthaya which is huge. You can rent a bike and go around. There is also the bangkok art and culture center (BACC).

For dinner you could try the river cruise at night over chao praya river. There are zillions of local resturants so i will name some dishes you can try: som tum thai, soft shell crab in yellow curry, beef in oyster sauce with mushrooms, charcoal grilled chicken and sticky rice, sticky rice and mango, chicken satay, pad thai etc

Those are from the top of my head. I will get you some more names/info
Old March 1, 2012, 02:40 AM
Cricket Savant

Not that I been to Bk "officially" but I heard there are some excellent Open Roof bars on hotel(I know it's a family tour but in case you want to have a private dinner with your wife).
Old March 1, 2012, 02:45 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Btw i use a dtac for my ipad. I think u could get a 3G ready sim card for 50 baht. The topping up is simple as well, a dtac store would be able to do it for your ipad and 7-11 woud be okay for the phone.
Old March 1, 2012, 06:25 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Last time I went to Bangkok was in 2003 (I think). I stayed in the Twin Towers Hotel when it had just opened. I remember it being quite nice. But the Marriott apartment looks really fancy. I love Thai food but having Deshi parents we never got to sample the local cuisine. It was McDonalds, Pizza Hut and a Desi Halal joint called Chacha Khans or something? It's quite famous. I always thought Bangkok was over-rated compared to Malaysia and Singapore but after watching Hangover 2 I realise that I may have been too young to understand people's fascination with the city :P
Old March 1, 2012, 06:36 PM
Administrator

That's a shame Equinox. Thai food is amongst the best cuisine in the world. My current favorite is Cambodian - but that's a different thread. I've probably posted something about, if not, I shall.

Wherever I go, I will always try to go local.

Anyway - our living is taken care of - a friend's family owns a holiday condo in the expat area that comes with a housekeeper and cook. Nice 3 bedroom condo near Thonglor and available for the week we will be in town. We are golden.
Old March 1, 2012, 07:59 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Thonglor is like gulshan of bangkok
Old March 1, 2012, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Thonglor is like gulshan of bangkok
Ooh. That's nice. But, I would then assume that area is pretty sterile?
Old March 3, 2012, 06:13 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

More dishes : pla rad prik, pad pakbung fai daeng, nam koh kai tod.
Lots of resturants in thonglor z bhai.
Old March 3, 2012, 06:29 AM
Administrator

If you are around, would love to meet. Let's touch base closer to the time. Any other BCite in the land of Siam?
Old March 3, 2012, 10:40 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Yeah we could definitely meet up in bkk. My office is near asok so not too far from thonglor
Old March 19, 2012, 01:13 AM
Administrator

All right. Time. Iftekhar - will you be in Bangkok next week? You were planning a quick trip to the old country. Anyone else in Bangkok? We could have a mini-reunion. This would then be my 4th country reunion get-together*.

* Can't call it a REunion since I have not met many of you.
Old March 19, 2012, 04:16 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Z bhai I will be going to Bangladesh for a maximum of 3 days(probably leave friday 23 - return 25). Since you are here longer than that I think we should definitely be able to meet up somewhere in Bangkok. We could meet any day during the evening between 26-30 march. You have my number just give me a call.