facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 17, 2012, 12:06 PM
MLC World Series I

Default Your 2012 Bangladesh Moment

2012 is drawing to a close and it has been a rather very short year, in terms of cricket played, but arguably our best calendar year, in terms of challenging the G8 teams and notching up wins in emphatic style. Wait! That was only in the ODI's.

A lot of emphasis was given to T20 with the WT20 in SL and we fared pretty horribly in that format with all the preparations. Asia Cup performance and the WI series win at home in the ODI's, gave us a lot to cheer about. And we played reasonably well in Tests, if we go by our cliched quote, "We took it to the fifth day!"

So, this thread is to reflect back on the year and share, either in words or in videos, your favorite Bangladesh moment on the field. I have made it easier for you and provided a list of all our matches in the calendar year across the formats:

Asia Cup
1. 1st Match: Bangladesh v Pakistan at Dhaka - Mar 11, 2012 - Pakistan won by 21 runs
2. 4th Match: Bangladesh v India at Dhaka - Mar 16, 2012 - Bangladesh won by 5 wickets (with 4 balls remaining)
3. 6th Match: Bangladesh v Sri Lanka at Dhaka - Mar 20, 2012 - Bangladesh won by 5 wickets (with 17 balls remaining) (D/L method)
4. Final: Bangladesh v Pakistan at Dhaka - Mar 22, 2012 - Pakistan won by 2 runs

Bangladesh in Ireland T20I Series
5. 1st T20I: Ireland v Bangladesh at Belfast - Jul 18, 2012 - Bangladesh won by 71 runs
6. 2nd T20I: Ireland v Bangladesh at Belfast - Jul 20, 2012 - Bangladesh won by 1 run
7. 3rd T20I: Ireland v Bangladesh at Belfast - Jul 21, 2012 - Bangladesh won by 2 wickets (with 0 balls remaining)

Bangladesh v Scotland T20I Match
8. Only T20I: Bangladesh v Scotland at The Hague - Jul 24, 2012 - Scotland won by 34 runs

Bangladesh in Netherlands T20I Series
9. 1st T20I: Netherlands v Bangladesh at The Hague - Jul 25, 2012 - Bangladesh won by 8 wickets (with 12 balls remaining)
10. 2nd T20I: Netherlands v Bangladesh at The Hague - Jul 26, 2012 - Netherlands won by 1 wicket (with 0 balls remaining)

ICC World Twenty20
11. 5th Match, Group D: Bangladesh v New Zealand at Pallekele - Sep 21, 2012 - New Zealand won by 59 runs
12. 12th Match, Group D: Bangladesh v Pakistan at Pallekele - Sep 25, 2012 - Pakistan won by 8 wickets (with 8 balls remaining)

West Indies in Bangladesh Test Series
13. 1st Test: Bangladesh v West Indies at Dhaka - Nov 13-17, 2012 - West Indies won by 77 runs
14. 2nd Test: Bangladesh v West Indies at Khulna - Nov 21-25, 2012 - West Indies won by 10 wickets

West Indies in Bangladesh ODI Series
15. 1st ODI: Bangladesh v West Indies at Khulna - Nov 30, 2012 - Bangladesh won by 7 wickets (with 58 balls remaining)
16. 2nd ODI: Bangladesh v West Indies at Khulna - Dec 2, 2012 - Bangladesh won by 160 runs
17. 3rd ODI: Bangladesh v West Indies at Dhaka - Dec 5, 2012 - West Indies won by 4 wickets (with 18 balls remaining)
18. 4th ODI: Bangladesh v West Indies at Dhaka - Dec 7, 2012 - West Indies won by 75 runs
19. 5th ODI: Bangladesh v West Indies at Dhaka - Dec 8, 2012 - Bangladesh won by 2 wickets (with 36 balls remaining)

West Indies in Bangladesh T20I Match
20. Only T20I: Bangladesh v West Indies at Dhaka - Dec 10, 2012 - West Indies won by 18 runs

So, what will it be? Shakib's crucial burst of brilliance against India in the Asia Cup? Tamim's 1,2,3,4? Bijoy's emotional outburst? The whole final? How Gazi and Mashrafe tamed Gayle? Demolishing WI in the 2nd ODI? GO GO GO, share!

Note: I haven't included the tour and the warm up matches. If you want them, check ESPNCricinfo
All the scoreboards have been taken from ESPNCricinfo

Old December 17, 2012, 12:33 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Old December 17, 2012, 04:09 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Asia cup final. So close yet so far. So proud of the losing side.
Old December 17, 2012, 04:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

Noteworthy:

• Highest successful chase 289 vs. G8 team (India in Asia Cup)
• Comprehensively defeating SL in a must win match to reach Finals
• Series defeat of WI, thus removing the * about the previous WI series and proving the NZ win was not a one time fluke
• Anamul’s and Abuls centuries vs. WI
• Shakib’s 100 Test wicket milestone
• 160 run defeat of WI in 2nd ODI
• Interest generated by and performances of BD players in BPL (I know its not part of the national fold but still..)

Heartbreakers/Cringe Moments:

• Losing to PAK in finals by 2 runs
• Collapse on 5th day of first TEST vs. WI
• Letting McCullum break T20 top innings record against us
• Inability to defend 175 vs. PAK in T20 world cup
• Losing to Netherlands and Scotland in T20 and barely winning the 2nd and 3rd T20 vs. IRE
• Sunny not completing the winning run and having to prolong the series win game vs. WI
Old December 17, 2012, 04:43 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Don't cringe bro, for the Sunny thing. Remember what CJS said,

"For that Ilias Sunny, when Bangladesh managed to achieve the rare record of winning one match twice."
Old December 17, 2012, 04:49 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Champion

For me, the last two parts in this video clip, where we finally came of age and shut up a lot of critics...surprised this video hasn't got the response I expected in another thread named "Proving Ourselves"
Old December 17, 2012, 04:59 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Shakib and Anamul

I have a funny feeling that 2013 will be the best year for Bangladesh Cricket, a year where we could finally remove that 'minnow' tag and see whether our recent performances were a big hoax. Test and Odi series away in Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe and a home series against New Zealand so yeah interesting, we could send a big scary message to the rest of the elite that the cubs have turned officially into tigers now. But 2012 we didn't play much Cricket and we can't let this happen.

Oh yeah! you have forgotten the tri series though unofficial where we beat a still decent South African side.
Old December 17, 2012, 07:40 PM
Cricket Sage

The win against India was the best moment of 2012 for me. That was the game that set up our successful ODI run for the rest of the year. That win pretty much came out of no where. I know we fans are always hopeful about winning. But I don't think beside us BD fans, nobody thought we could have pulled it off. And to top it all off the chase was just unbelievable. After Shakib got out we all started to lose hope and than out of no where Mushy started to hit those 6's out of the park.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:01 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of BD
For me, the last two parts in this video clip, where we finally came of age and shut up a lot of critics...surprised this video hasn't got the response I expected in another thread named "Proving Ourselves"
Thank You
Old December 17, 2012, 09:14 PM
Cricket Savant

Every moment following BD cricket is precious including up's and down's. Cannot pinpoint a single event but REALLY ENJOYED Abul moment, reaching Asia Cup final and leading West Indies 2-0.

And oh, Kanta vs. Shamim.
Old December 17, 2012, 10:34 PM
Banned

the best eye candy of bangla cricket 2012 was UMME AHMED SHISHIR. ami shakib er bou er moton bou chai !!

Last edited by deshprem; December 17, 2012 at 11:47 PM..
Old December 17, 2012, 10:46 PM
Street Cricketer

My favorite was the Abul Hasan century.
Old December 17, 2012, 11:37 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

i will never forgot the moment Abdur Rajjak raj tried to scoop the ball of aizaz cheema and got his stumps shattered. a faint touch of bat and the asia cup would have been ours.

also the way mushfiq took Indian bowlers apart after shakib gave us the RR boost during the chase against India
Old December 18, 2012, 12:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

The win against India. I was there in the stadium. It was one of the most memorable victories ever. Needing 31 off 18, we were not sure whether we would win. And we did. Mushy played a gem of an innings.
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]
Old December 18, 2012, 12:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Going to the final of the Asia cup was the a great success for our team. I loved that moment. After the Asia cup we are performing consistently in ODI. Asia cup gave a huge mental boost up for our players.
Old December 18, 2012, 12:32 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Bijoy's match-winning, maiden ODI 100. Great to see a young man deliver under pressure and answer the cynics so decisively. As much as I found myself elated by our wins in the Asia Cup, the losses were totally devastating because we could have beaten Pakistan both times.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old December 18, 2012, 01:33 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

The year that had so little on the plate, gave us so much to ponder.

-Will never forget the Asia Cup final
-Will always cherish the wins against India (esp how I missed the whole Bangladesh batting due to some stupid dawat where there was no tv while being offered free ticket by Mac and Isnaad)
-Real let down against NZ at T20 WC
-Naeems come back test century and witnessing the 529 at SBNS with fellow BCites
- Again let down on 2nd innings of first test.
-Raju bringing joy on every cricket lover's face all around the world
-Anamul's reassuring century right after debut
-The emergence of Gazi
-13/5 against WI on 4th ODI
-The eventual series win agaisnt WI and again being there at SBNS to witness the historic moment, celebrating the win twice and most importantly, katafying my own face saving kufa (last time I've been to BD ODIs, it was the infamous 58 and 78 and since then havent been to Mirpur for obvious reasons)

All's well that ends well.
We certainly ended things on a very positive note and I'm very happy the way 2012 shaped up.

Oh, thanks Maysun for the nice compilation and the thread.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old December 18, 2012, 04:32 AM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Good thread maysun. I'll have to say the India match was perhaps the most memorable moment. There were others too such as Abul's and Anamul's centuries. Thumping West Indies and the series win. I also liked Rubel's delivery to Smith and Mushy's stumpings of Powell.
Old December 18, 2012, 06:49 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

good thread
nothing beats the joy of beating the world champ India, that also chasing a big total, that also in Asia cup, that also on Sachin's 100th 100, that also to kick them out of the tour.
and then the nightmare of losing the final.
but then the Elias celebration, the bangnam dance.
Old December 18, 2012, 07:34 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

Shakib's wedding
Old December 18, 2012, 08:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Winning against India. Probably the happiest moment for me in this year . Also the only match i saw in the stadium this year.
Old December 18, 2012, 08:20 AM
MLC World Series I

Thanks guys and also at least someone mentioned Kanta. She was on the field!

If I had to pick one, it'd be Shakib's innings against India. That innings, IMO, laid the platform for a great run in the ODI's. Now, we go into an ODI thinking we can win!
Old December 18, 2012, 09:48 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

How can an entire match or even an innings be considered as a 'moment'?

My favourites:
BD v IND - 11 off 12 required - Praveen Kumar to Mushfiqur Rahim - SIX - 5 needed to win - And Shakib and Mashrafe screaming in ecstasy in the dressing room

The Gangnam Style after the series win and Gayle's reaction

BD players breaking down after the Asia Cup final loss
Old December 18, 2012, 09:49 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

win against India. esp after Sachin made headlines with his 100th 100, we came and made bigger headlines. I think that the was the start of the current momentum.
Old December 18, 2012, 10:01 AM
MLC World Series I

Good point, Equinox!