facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 7, 2008, 03:14 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya
Default Siddons Quotes from Cricinfo and Articles

http://howrah.org/sports/16738.html
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/kitp...ry/353976.html

Quote:
"The reason they are inconsistent is that they've [Bangladesh's batsmen] got deficiencies in certain areas of their game," Siddons said. "My job is to identify those and then try to improve them. Basically give them new shots, find new ways of scoring against good bowlers."

Ashraful is one such example. Siddons felt opposition teams had worked him out, taking advantage of his short height to restrict his scoring. "He's now working on a cut shot which he never had before at international level. He generally let the ball go. We've worked on that and he's now using the cut in practice. Whether we will see it in international cricket straightaway I'm not sure. If he can produce a good cut shot then bowlers won't be able to give him that width or bowl that length to him."

For Ashraful it is the cut, for Tamim Iqbal and Shahriar Nafees it's the pull. Siddons said the Bangladesh batsmen "think they've got to hit the ball in the air because they're restricted in their power. It's another thing we're working on. Every individual has different deficiencies. We've got to work on every one of them."

A step in the right direction is persisting with some players irrespective of the immediate results. "That's the way we're going to move forward - by giving these guys confidence and experience at the international level," Siddons said. "They're learning new techniques. They're also getting more consistent. I can see it. I watch them daily; you see them in international cricket against good teams and see their failures."

He doesn't want Cardiff 2005 to be the highlight of Bangladesh's stint at the highest level. "Every time we play against Australia I want us to have a chance to win," Siddons said. "Not just because of something Ashraful does that's out of the box."
I'll give him the benefit of doubt on the 2nd to last quote,

Heres another quote

Quote:
About the home tri-series, Siddons has set a goal for Bangladesh players. "Show the world that you belong to this level," he said. "In two years down the line I want to see half-a-dozen Bangladeshi players playing in the IPL. So, raise the bar and perform so that you cannot be ignored."
That should be the goal

Old June 7, 2008, 03:21 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

all very good comments and the coach is indeed working on technical and psychological issues! siddons have my full respect and support! as always best of luck to my tigers and coach jamie siddons!
Old June 7, 2008, 04:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

"Not really. All our players average in the 20s or less. If one goes out, another one comes in with 20. My job is to make the ones averaging 20 average 35. If he was averaging 35 it would have been a huge blow for us."
Jamie Siddons, the Bangladesh coach, on his team missing Aftab Ahmed
Old June 7, 2008, 04:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

i really feel sad about bangladesh's coaches. i am glad that there weren't any suicides though.
Old June 7, 2008, 04:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,Rasel,Rajjak,Rakib

lolz, that's only in practice match or net practice....real gamea kichu na korte parle,eishob kotha boila luv ki? we want the performance in the real game, not in net practice or practice match
Old June 7, 2008, 05:12 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

many people for obvious reasons, are very upset with Siddons and Ashraful... i say if they fail to defeat two major oppositions before this december, then start thinking about a new coach and a new captain...
Old June 7, 2008, 05:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

After a long time he has spoken something concrete.. There is one thing to be critical and dismissive of the team and another to be specific about players defficiencies which make up team failures..

Siddons didnt start his journey with Bangladesh very well with string of failures and no real improvements in results. Who would know that Ashraful improved his pull shot or Shahrier improved his technique of nothing resulted in any changes in their averages or a cumulative higher scores for the team. There is always something other than the technique that is required in Cricket,,, and that is the mentality/brain. He can teach the tecniques but the coach also needs to infuse the confidence and brain. He is not doing it much often,, calling the historic wins as flukes. That works for Australians but not for Bangladeshis,, who takes the game as a passion and pushes it only with passion. See..Zimbabwe/Kenyan players always believed in themselves despite having best techniques. And they did wonders with their passion. Australian players are good both in technique and brain.. but I think what separates them apart is the winning mindset and believing that they are the best..Bangladesh under Dav Watmore had it despite having players like Javed Omar/Tapash Baishya in the squad.... Frankly,I dont think Siddons will be able to infuse that level of confidence as he was never a national team coach.. its the players themselves who will have to "man up" and show their abilities as they did in the late 2006s. .. In the the mean time, I just hope that Siddons remains focused as a batting coach and speaks less.
Old June 7, 2008, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Well just because we're disappointed in them doesn't mean we want them replaced, because it is, after all, too early. I'd make Ashraful carry drinks a couple of times, though.
Old June 7, 2008, 06:01 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Well just because we're disappointed in them doesn't mean we want them replaced, because it is, after all, too early. I'd make Ashraful carry drinks a couple of times, though.
ditto
Old June 7, 2008, 06:06 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

the aussie players play with lots of passion that's why they're so good, why do you think they've been retiring in their late 30s instead of early 30s? why do you think players like michael clarke have said they don't want to play IPL and just want to focus on the australian team atm? the aussies have plenty of passion, you don't work that hard if you don't. it's the BD players who's passion should be questioned. ashraful has said it before, he wants to be an entertainer, he plays for himself. those things are good, and also necessary to be successful at this level (well not so much being an entertainer) but you also need to have pride for your team and country and passion for those things to push you that little bit further everyday. also, ashraful's entertainer comment was silly imo, he should be a cricketer first and foremost, entertaining comes 2nd and being a cricketer means sometimes you have to play an aesthetically boring game sometimes.

in regards to siddons, i'm happy with these comments, but somewhat agree and disagree with the persisting comment. i think sometimes dropping a player does them good moreso than keeping them in the team, domestic cricket is just an easier place for a player to change or add to their game and practice and fine tune those changes and improvements and then they can step back up to the national team. obviously it depends on how serious the problem(s) is with their game. also need to take into account how long the player has been at this level, ashraful for example, is there really that much hope for him? he's already been at it 7 years (maybe he'll have a symonds type revelation, symonds took years to play to his talent). i don't think dropping a player necessarily means you're giving up on them because sometimes it gives them a better chance to improve and makes them a better player.
Old June 7, 2008, 07:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

once again, spot on post from gowza (as usual).

where is ianw?

#OneTeam1Dream
Old June 7, 2008, 09:06 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

if jamie siddons retires, let's all start a BC charity and send Gowza a check to become the next Bangladeshi coach...

it is amazing to see someone the likes of him to stick to Bangladesh Cricket even after we fail repeatedly.
Old June 7, 2008, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnaved
lolz, that's only in practice match or net practice....real gamea kichu na korte parle,eishob kotha boila luv ki? we want the performance in the real game, not in net practice or practice match
Lolz to you.

I'll send you ear plugs, and you can go to sleep with Rip Van WInkle and let our coach work on meaningful implementations.
Old June 7, 2008, 10:26 PM
Banned

Some years back when a young aussie coach named Mccinnes took up the coaching helm of the bangladeshi youngsters, our own BC members deplored his vocal indications of all things limited that we bangladeshis possessed. He got thrashed big time, and made a joker when he 1st visited BC for math help for his fiance.

The rest is history. So let's also criticize in moderation and hope that Siddons' coaching yield long term benefits for our country.
Old June 7, 2008, 10:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Decent article... siddons seems reasonable!
Old June 7, 2008, 10:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

Woah...Thats almost an entire page of quotes without him putting his foot in his mouth. There's hope for us yet!