facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 28, 2014, 04:40 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Five ducks in a row!

We are so---- happy with the win but not focusing on the real problem! Three ducks in the test's opening order. Two more in the first game of Calcutta tournament! Five goose eggs in total. This is a real epidemic. Then to see Shakib bat like mad man makes you want to puke. We nearly handed the test to Zimbabwe! Tamim is a history. With his pot belly and smoking habit, his best days are gone. Shamsur looks like a deer in a headlight. Nobody is coming to challenge these guys. BCB11 is too ordinary and lost big to Mumbai. Both openers perished with ducks besides their name. What is the way out of this rut?

Old October 28, 2014, 05:13 PM
Cricket Guru

intense punishments!
Old October 28, 2014, 05:15 PM
Cricket Guru

Well, Imrul made a century in the last match against Karnataka- will that make you any happier?

There is no way out but to let Hathuri work with what he got now, there is no magical solution out there for our top order woe.

Last edited by Eshen; October 28, 2014 at 07:33 PM..
Old October 28, 2014, 07:32 PM
Cricket Guru

Haha didn't think of it as 5 ducks in a row
Old October 29, 2014, 01:46 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

well people making debut always do well for our team before fading away. Gazi, Abul, Shamsur, Anamul etc being recent examples. Taijul might also go the way of Nasir once he is made the next big superstar.

I think we should bring 3 new players every game. Perhaps we need to look at who is good at the u 14 level.
Old October 29, 2014, 03:19 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

We either stick with imrul or shamsur or we try out the youngsters in anamul, LKD and shadman. Problem is going to be if we try the youngsters and they don't succeed straight away then they become apart of the revolving door pack that we don't want to see again (anamul is already getting some of that treatment in the test format as he's been poor their). The solution is to have patience, stick with these players and if coached well at least a couple will become viable options. The difficult part is who to pick for an extended run in the XI at the current time and to pick who will get an extended run as back up opener.
Old October 29, 2014, 05:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Unless we find another opener from the regular batsmen like Sri Lanka did with TM Dilshan and Mahela, India with Rohit Sharma.

I remember we once tried Rajin Saleh to open in the ODI's, he did fairly well.

So instead of trying a conventional opener why not get someone who at least has the grit to see out the new ball and score a 15 or 20 instead of throwing away within 5 overs.
Old October 29, 2014, 08:37 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I think we miss the cool head of Nasir. Hope he gets his act right.
Old October 29, 2014, 02:49 PM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
We either stick with imrul or shamsur or we try out the youngsters in anamul, LKD and shadman. Problem is going to be if we try the youngsters and they don't succeed straight away then they become apart of the revolving door pack that we don't want to see again (anamul is already getting some of that treatment in the test format as he's been poor their). The solution is to have patience, stick with these players and if coached well at least a couple will become viable options. The difficult part is who to pick for an extended run in the XI at the current time and to pick who will get an extended run as back up opener.
I think we should stick with Shamsur this series. I don't see the point of dropping him. Who are we going to replace him with?

I think after this series, if Shamsur fails then I would think about giving one of either Shadman or Liton a run as opener with an outside chance for Soumya.

A lot of guys have been tried in these top order positions and I don't see any of the likes of Imrul, Nafees, Junaid etc as long term prospects.
Old October 29, 2014, 03:16 PM
Cricket Sage

Should we bring Ashraful as opener? He is banned? No problem, BCB chai tou they can forgive and forget and make a clean sleet again.
Old October 29, 2014, 04:06 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
Unless we find another opener from the regular batsmen like Sri Lanka did with TM Dilshan and Mahela, India with Rohit Sharma.

So instead of trying a conventional opener why not get someone who at least has the grit to see out the new ball and score a 15 or 20 instead of throwing away within 5 overs.
Saleh had grit and technique, do we have anyone like that aside from mushy?
Old October 30, 2014, 06:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh

Only JO springs to mind.
Old October 30, 2014, 11:49 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vua
Only JO springs to mind.
Why not! No joke, he will better then anybody currently masquerading as a top order batsman in the BD team! Lets find a pair of boring batsmen with career strike rates of 0.10!
Old October 30, 2014, 12:25 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

That's why I'm recommending Shadman. The kid is a natural grafter which would be ideal for our Test lineup. I know he might initially struggle but if we back him and be patient, I feel we can be rewarded. A lot like how WI were patient with Brathwaite
Old October 30, 2014, 11:15 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

what happened to Mehrab Jr.? He was a superstar of boredom
Old October 31, 2014, 01:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Miler/warner/Ryder/maxweL

Nasir could be a good opener
Old October 31, 2014, 03:14 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
That's why I'm recommending Shadman. The kid is a natural grafter which would be ideal for our Test lineup. I know he might initially struggle but if we back him and be patient, I feel we can be rewarded. A lot like how WI were patient with Brathwaite
But he needs scoring shots off quality bowling otherwise he won't work, rajin saleh had good technique, and liked to grind it out but he just didn't have enough scoring shots against international level bowling so he got bogged down, stayed there for a long time but scored no runs then got out. As good as it seems now just to find someone who can stay there, unless they can score runs they are not the answer.
Old October 31, 2014, 04:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Shadman is the best bet for us. Whatever combination you may try but this boy has real potential n skill sets to be a world class test batsman.Mark my words..
Old October 31, 2014, 03:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max100
Nasir could be a good opener
Nasir doesn't have any possess foot movement good enough to be in the top 4, let alone an opener.
Old October 31, 2014, 04:35 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
But he needs scoring shots off quality bowling otherwise he won't work, rajin saleh had good technique, and liked to grind it out but he just didn't have enough scoring shots against international level bowling so he got bogged down, stayed there for a long time but scored no runs then got out. As good as it seems now just to find someone who can stay there, unless they can score runs they are not the answer.
I agree but from what I've seen Shadman can play his shots but just really restricts himself. We'll see though, selectors might wait a year of domestics before putting him in
Old October 31, 2014, 05:49 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
I agree but from what I've seen Shadman can play his shots but just really restricts himself. We'll see though, selectors might wait a year of domestics before putting him in
I'd be careful as to whether he's not playing those shots because he can only play them against certain balls/certain level of bowling and whether he'll struggle to play them against better bowling. I'm sure he has shots, saleh had shots but the quality of bowling limited him as to when he could play them, that in combination with being a stayer and a grinder meant he took up a few balls but got not many runs. I havent seen much of shadman but as far as strike rate goes it seems to always be low, if he played some faster innings here and there I'd think he could play shots and may not be restricted other than doing it himself, that or if he stayed long enough for centuries then it would be a bit different, imo he hasn't done enough to push for selection, Liton has done more but even he's not done much.

brathwaite struggled to play shots and score against good bowling but he went away and worked hard on it in A team cricket and has come back a better player, he obviously has the right attitude and wants to improve which is why he did but there is no guarantee that will happen, it will be down to shadmans attitude as to whether he improves, the coaching is there, so far the selection support is there, i believe brathwaite was doing quite well in domestic cricket when he was first picked and during his first stint, shadman hasn't played much of that and although he has played 5 FC matches and averages 39 he has no centuries (though the 98 was close) and his strike rate is 34.
Old November 2, 2014, 05:32 PM
Cricket Guru

Makes me wonder whether jahurul should be back in the picture, at least he was able to get 30s and 40s regularly.
Old November 6, 2014, 07:05 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

If anybody needs to grind for runs in our domestic matches then that player has very little chance to score any runs at the international level. The bad balls just would'nt come. An international quality player should be able to score easily and rack up big scores at a reasonable pace against our domestic bowling.
Old November 7, 2014, 05:15 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
If anybody needs to grind for runs in our domestic matches then that player has very little chance to score any runs at the international level. The bad balls just would'nt come. An international quality player should be able to score easily and rack up big scores at a reasonable pace against our domestic bowling.
Agree, but with the struggles of finding a test opener do we pick someone with the shots or at this time is it best to pick someone who is technically sound, mentally tough, will see off the new ball but won't make runs? That would at least make it easier for the middle order to score runs but will it be good enough up the top? Ideally you want someone to score runs but if all the players with capable shots can't stay in long enough then it's even more pointless than someone who takes the shine off the ball for the middle order.