facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 28, 2010, 09:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSupporterofBD
Nafees still has opportunity to prove his point. he is playing tomorrow against zim. if he can score a century then he has a chance...
Dont think so...the squad has been declared for the whole series and no point of bringing him back later if...God forbids.. we lose

Old November 28, 2010, 10:03 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: iceman

i guess bangladesh will play with 3 pacers...
Old November 28, 2010, 10:14 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Congrats, Shakib. Hope you give them a banglawash.
Feel bad for Mash at the same time.
SN's exclusion is a surprise, he has a very good record against Zimbs.
Four pacers are included because Mash is injury prone.
Old November 28, 2010, 10:16 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
kurbani just passed so perhaps it could be "goobor" er sorbot???

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)
A nadim classic!
Old November 28, 2010, 10:24 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: AB de Villiers

Its RIDICULOUS that SN is not starting. He should have been automatic against Zim. I am really not liking Raquibul still being there, but since he is, I hope he can prove his worth. Can't wait!
Old November 28, 2010, 10:27 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Can't complain about the squad. Feel bad Jahurul got dropped, he's a good looking batsman but was too poor in domestics to be called up. Hope he gets back to form in the DPL. SN also didn't perform too well and got dropped which was understandable. Hope he plays well in the DPL. The 2 that will be on the hot seat for this series is Zunaed and Roqibul. If they don't play well then they should be dropped because we can't afford to have our #3 and #4 struggling. Ash should not play the 1st couple of games. He should play unless Zunaed, Roqibul or Riyad continue to struggle. Lastly, very happy that Shakib is the captain. I was concerned that it will be too much pressure on him but Shakib has a different type of maturity compared to his other teammates so he'll do a great job. Well this is the last series before the WC so wish all the players the best and hope they all perform well.
Old November 28, 2010, 11:02 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

oh oh oh.. no Kapali, no Aftab?... :P

just kidding guys!! For the time time.. there is no thread about these two. FINALLY!!

Congrats to Shakib. I am glad he the captain. I just also heard on the news... they did not select a vice captain. Why not?

Choosing between S Nafees and Imrul is a tough call, specially when Imrul has a world record to beat of highest runs of the year but I would have put him in the 15 men squad and prob make it a 16 men squad
Old November 28, 2010, 11:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

AshyBoy!! It's partayy time.
Old November 28, 2010, 12:13 PM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Shahriar Nafees: If I need to prove myself by scoring runs in a practice match with Zimbabwe than I think I should quit playing.
Old November 28, 2010, 12:20 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

^^Did he really say that? Looks like the SN admins made that quote up just to get attention.
Old November 28, 2010, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Good sense has prevailed via the appointment of Shakib as captain. Yay, the BCB does actually want to win.

Nonsense has prevailed via the addition of Ashraful to the squad.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old November 28, 2010, 12:32 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi
Shahriar Nafees: If I need to prove myself by scoring runs in a practice match with Zimbabwe than I think I should quit playing.
another Rokibul drama in the making...y?..and why???...if u feel u have been drooped unfairly then make runs..make those selectors eat their words by ur performance..u r just 24 man!..there is lots of time available for u..look at mike hussy..he scored tons of runs but still didn't got picked for the aus team..if he felt like u..then he would have not come where he is now...for ur sake for BD sake lose this loser attitude..
Old November 28, 2010, 12:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Shuvogoto Hom/Shabbir should've played for Nazmul. If Mash is rested ODI 4+5, bring in one of those 2 and try them out in 6/7 position.
Old November 28, 2010, 01:03 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

SN
Quote:
I am definitely disappointed. I think I did well in the last series, so I expected to play in the series," rued Nafees, who replaced an injured Tamim against New Zealand against whom he struck an important half-century in the second game, scoring 119 runs in the series.

Chief selector Rafiqul Alam said that Tamim's status as an automatic choice worked against Nafees. "He [Nafees] played well but he didn't do too well in the National Cricket League. Another reason is that Tamim is also our automatic choice, plus we have a settled batsman at No 3 in Junaed Siddiqui," he said.

Nafees however believes there wasn't much connection between his selection and Tamim's return. "I think the selectors can tell you the reason behind my exclusion. I can understand that Tamim is back but it doesn't mean I have to go," he added.
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=164018
Old November 28, 2010, 01:05 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Big slap from BCB to all those people who gone crazy after reading the articles from Jugantor and Amaderdesh about making Mash captain and Razzak vice-captain.

Now I can say " Told you so" Never believe these newspapers. Always wait till the actual news comes out before criticizing them.

Last edited by Murad; November 28, 2010 at 01:15 PM..
Old November 28, 2010, 01:08 PM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Captaincy 'imposed' on Shakib
Nafees dropped, in comes Ashraful
The Daily Star,November 29, 2010

The Bangladesh captaincy for Zimbabwe one-day series has been 'imposed' on Shakib Al-Hasan yesterday. The long-awaited decision could have stretched a bit more had Shakib not budged, as he was reluctant to take up the job.

But Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) president AHM Mustafa Kamal convinced Shakib, ending much speculation about the captaincy issue that hung in the air for far too long, yet it remains on a series-to-series basis.

"If you ask me if I'm happy or not, then the answer is no," was Shakib's only reply.

Shakib's appointment as captain however, following his success in the New Zealand series, is perceived as a positive move given Mashrafe Bin Mortaza's injury worries.

"Shakib has been successful so we selected him as captain. Mashrafe is also good and recognised but we decided to keep Mashrafe away from the pressure and burden of captaincy," said BCB chief executive officer Manzur Ahmed.

Also, the system of appointing a captain for only one series is regarded by many as a needless exercise. Manzur also believes that a long-term stint is viable.

"We would also like to do that. It would have been better had we put that into our thinking a bit more but there are some complicacies regarding team combination so we had to go for the series-to-series practice," explained Manzur.

The five-match one-day series against the southern Africans starts on December 1.

BCB announced the 15-member squad that included Tamim Iqbal and Mashrafe Bin Mortaza, both of whom were out due to injury. Tamim returns to the national team after five months while Mashrafe has been given the green signal after he sustained an ankle injury in the first one-dayer against New Zealand last month. Tamim replaces Shahriar Nafees while Jahurul Islam makes way for Mohammad Ashraful and there was no place for Dollar Mahmud and Syed Rasel who were also added to the squad during the New Zealand series.

Ashraful's inclusion and the axe on Nafees stirred a potential hornet's nest as the latter had had a reasonable time against the Kiwis.

"I am definitely disappointed. I think I did well in the last series, so I expected to play in the series," rued Nafees, who replaced an injured Tamim against New Zealand against whom he struck an important half-century in the second game, scoring 119 runs in the series.

Chief selector Rafiqul Alam said that Tamim's status as an automatic choice worked against Nafees. "He [Nafees] played well but he didn't do too well in the National Cricket League. Another reason is that Tamim is also our automatic choice, plus we have a settled batsman at No 3 in Junaed Siddiqui," he said.

Nafees however believes there wasn't much connection between his selection and Tamim's return. "I think the selectors can tell you the reason behind my exclusion. I can understand that Tamim is back but it doesn't mean I have to go," he added.

Ashraful, who was dropped after the England ODIs after a poor run of form, scored 331 runs in the NCL one-dayers and a first-class century over the last two months and Rafiqul believed Ashraful was in-form. "He is among the proven players who is in-form. He scored two hundreds and a couple of fifties," said the former national cricketer.

"If he's not in now, he might miss out on the World Cup," added Rafiqul about the man who had an ordinary time even in the just-concluded Asian Games where Bangladesh won gold in the men's cricket competition.

Rafiqul however could not confirm if Mashrafe would be picked ahead of fast bowlers Rubel Hossain and Shafiul Islam. "We will decide on that later but Mashrafe is a world-class bowler. He is also kind of an automatic choice because now he's fit and getting better," he said.

Squad
Shakib Al Hasan (captain), Mashrafe Bin Mortaza, Tamim Iqbal, Imrul Kayes, Junaed Siddiqui, Mohammad Ashraful, Rokibul Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim (wicketkeeper), Mahmudullah Riyad, Naeem Islam, Abdur Razzak, Sohrawardi Shuvo, Shafiul Islam, Rubel Hossain and Nazmul Hossain.
Old November 28, 2010, 01:09 PM
Cricket Sage

SN was a big flop in the last WC. Flop against big teams. He was in superb form before the WC. making centuries against Zimbabwe and other associates.

I think that has worked against him this time.

I'm not happy to see Ash in the team. I didn't want to see him in the team before the WC. ekhon dekha jak ki korte pare.
Old November 28, 2010, 01:10 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Quote:
1 half century in 4 matches(also the same in NCL) and how come he can expect to be in the team..i'll agree that his exclusion was bad..he didn't deserved that(rokibul and zunayed should have been droped)..but that doesn't mean u can stay in the team by scoring a lone 50..those days of bd cricket are gone..
Old November 28, 2010, 01:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

I think not picking Nafees to play against Zimbabwe is a poor decision. But then again, you can't really drop Zunaid as he did nothing wrong. I think this is actually a great problem for our board in a good way, as we have a pool of players, all who can make the playing XI.
Old November 28, 2010, 01:12 PM
Cricket Sage

Shafiul Islam needs to work on his economy rate. He is too expensive. I don't think we ever had a pacer who was that expensive.
Old November 28, 2010, 01:14 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murad
Shafiul Islam needs to work on his economy rate. He is too expensive. I don't think we ever had a pacer who was that expensive.
Sahadat
Old November 28, 2010, 01:15 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Quote:
be on the positive side ....atleast Zim have one pacer who have worse econ rate than Shafi.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...er/343529.html

if he can maintain his econ rate like this....TAmim will destroy his career by next month
Old November 28, 2010, 01:16 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Big slap from BCB to all those people who gone crazy after reading the articles from Jugantor and Amaderdesh about making Mash captain and Razzak vice-captain.

Now I can say " Told you so" Never believe these newspapers. Always wait till the actual news comes out before criticizing them.
Old November 28, 2010, 01:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
SN was a big flop in the last WC. Flop against big teams. He was in superb form before the WC. making centuries against Zimbabwe and other associates.

I think that has worked against him this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
1 half century in 4 matches(also the same in NCL) and how come he can expect to be in the team..i'll agree that his exclusion was bad..he didn't deserved that(rokibul and zunayed should have been droped)..but that doesn't mean u can stay in the team by scoring a lone 50..those days of bd cricket are gone..
i dont agree here...he was the second highest scorer in the last series and u cannot consider the ncl stats as the main criteria of selection for the next series...u have to consider the international series first...moreover he is highly successful against the zimbos rather than any of our current batsmen...we are concentrating on a series win now..then comes the wc fact
Old November 28, 2010, 01:24 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Shahriar Nafees can take some motivation from this and improve as a batsmen, keep working on his game/batting technique.

I like him, I like him a lot, but he truth of the matter is, even he has to admit, he struggles a lot against quality pace/seam movement, hence i think why BCB excluded him. so if he plays, He should definitely not be used as an opener, but rather a middle order batsmen. based on my observations, he is very comfortable with spin, but poor against quality pacemen.

Something for Shahriar Nafees to think about, eh?