facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 8, 2005, 04:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Javed won\'t be opening

Javed Omar will not be able to bat in the 2nd innings as an opener, as he has damaged a ligament behind his left knee during fielding on the 2nd day of the 1st test .
Then who is going to open with Nafees?
Is it Rajin to open?

Full report:
Javed won't be opening
Sports Reporter from Chittagong

Javed Omar will not be able to bat before number seven in Bangla-desh's second innings as the opening batsman damaged a ligament behind his left knee during fielding on Friday.

Javed did not field on the third day of the first Test and was replaced by Talha Jubair.

The opener, who made 33 in Bangladesh's record first wicket stand of 91 with Nafees Iqbal, had treatment on Sunday night but felt some stiffness in the knee before play resumed in the morning.

"I had an operation on the same leg in 2001 and the damage is just behind it. I think I have rested enough to be able to bat tomorrow," Javed said after the third day's play.

Coach Dav Whatmore also sounded confident about Javed batting in the second innings.

"But as per the ICC regulation, he can't bat before the fall of the fifth wicket," Whatmore said.

Source: http://thedailystar.net/2005/01/09/d50109040429.htm

Old January 8, 2005, 05:05 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: MashrafeRazzakShakib(atm)

I hope Rajin will open the match. As a batsman like Rajin is suitable for any position. Rajin is a nice batsman.
Old January 8, 2005, 05:05 PM
Test Cricketer

In a way itz good you know, we'll have depth in batting.
Old January 8, 2005, 05:10 PM
Banned

I would like to see Shahriar Nafees in the openning position in ODI matches instead of Javed Omar. Shahriar Nafees is in very good form and he proved that he is ready to play international matches.
Old January 8, 2005, 05:12 PM
Test Cricketer

Shahriar nafees, you mean, biddut?
Old January 8, 2005, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by TigerFan
Shahriar nafees, you mean, biddut?
No mate. It's another young star from U-19 team. He is a genuine left hand opening batsman.
Old January 8, 2005, 07:17 PM
Cricket Legend

I didn't know there was a ligament behind the knee. there is one down the middle (ACL) and two on either side of that.

I think they need to open with an aggressive batsman anyway, but Rajin is probably a sane choice. Of course you know what I'm thinking - Mohd. Rafique!!

What is the ICC rule that says the opener cannot bat down the order and must come in after the 5th wicket falls?
Old January 8, 2005, 07:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Is there any such rule? I never heard of one.
Old January 8, 2005, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by rafiq
I didn't know there was a ligament behind the knee. there is one down the middle (ACL) and two on either side of that.

I think they need to open with an aggressive batsman anyway, but Rajin is probably a sane choice. Of course you know what I'm thinking - Mohd. Rafique!!

What is the ICC rule that says the opener cannot bat down the order and must come in after the 5th wicket falls?
Now Rajin doesn't bat slow that he used to bat before. After playing a good knock against India he has got the ability to play stroke all over the wickets both on front and back foot. He should open the innings instead of Javed. Rafique and Mashrafe should come out at the end and play some powerful shots.
Old January 8, 2005, 07:57 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
If a player is not in the field during fielding, there is a limitation when he can come to bat. It does not matter whether he is an opener or not. Same is true for bowlers - any player who is not in the field for a considerable amount of time, can't just come in and bowl. He must wait for a specified period of time after coming back into the field.
Old January 8, 2005, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Optimist
Quote:
If a player is not in the field during fielding, there is a limitation when he can come to bat. It does not matter whether he is an opener or not. Same is true for bowlers - any player who is not in the field for a considerable amount of time, can't just come in and bowl. He must wait for a specified period of time after coming back into the field.
As far as I recall, the restriction is only applicable to fielding for fielding team and does not carry over into a new day.

Law 2:

5. Fielder absent or leaving the field
If a fielder fails to take the field with his side at the start of the match or at any later time, or leaves the field during a session of play,
(a) the umpire shall be informed of the reason for his absence.

(b) he shall not thereafter come on to the field during a session of play without the consent of the umpire. See 6 below. The umpire shall give such consent as soon as is practicable.

(c) if he is absent for 15 minutes or longer, he shall not be permitted to bowl thereafter, subject to (i), (ii) or (iii) below, until he has been on the field for at least that length of playing time for which he was absent.
(i) Absence or penalty for time absent shall not be carried over into a new day's play. <-----

(ii) If, in the case of a follow-on or forfeiture, a side fields for two consecutive innings, this restriction shall, subject to (i) above, continue as necessary into the second innings but shall not otherwise be carried over into a new innings.
(iii) The time lost for an unscheduled break in play shall be counted as time on the field for any fielder who comes on to
the field at the resumption of play. See Law 15.1 (An interval).

--

So according to 2.5.ii - even if their is batting restrictions (which i could not find) JO could bat?
Old January 8, 2005, 08:57 PM
Club Cricketer

Khaled Mashud? I reckon that defensively he's one of the best Bangladesb batsmen. I've always thought that if Mark Richardson was a Bangladeshi, you'd have a decent team. Go for it!
Old January 8, 2005, 09:16 PM

Mashud, Rafique, Mashree and Tapash are our most valuable tail enders.
They saved us so many times from our top order's early collapse.
Still there is a possibility of top order's early collapse in this match too.
This a very crucial and historical match for Bangladesh to first ever win test,
So we should not take any risk of losing this match putting our tail in top.
Better Rajin should open with Nafees I think.