facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 14, 2008, 12:19 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Steve Waugh
Default Dhaka Warriors

The news is absolutely correct. Indian Cricket League (ICL) officials and scouts have been visiting Dhaka for the past year or so and negotiating with several players, especially Mohammad Ashraful.

Ashraful has been approached from the first tournament and he has resisted the offer. He has confided to one reporter (I know him personally) that he is very very tempted because the sum of money is 'huge'. (The guy earns the most among the Tigers so the sum is nearly close to 10 crores).

I genuinely believe that it will create a massive void in Bangladesh cricket, something that will take two decades to correct.

I can understand Habibul Bashar, Mohammad Rafique, Manjural Islam and Golam Mabud
joining ICL. There is only rumor that Bashar will be back in the Tigers side and Rafique, as you all know, has retired. Golam Mabud, one of three brothers who play for Sylhet, has fitness issues and is a professional in Dhaka. A big money move is like a dream to someone like him so it is logical that he won't let it go.

But a lot of money has been invested on Aftab Ahmed, Alok Kapali, Shahriar Nafees, Nazimuddin, Dhiman Ghosh, Forhad Reza, Mosharraf Hossain, Tapash Baisya, Mohammad Sharif and to some extent on Mahbubul Karim (Abahani's robust opener) over the years.

I know some of them personally and if the whole thing goes through, it won't surprise me. Take the case of Shahriar Nafees. He skipped the Australian tour and is reported to be unhappy with the selectors and Siddons.

Then there's someone like Forhad Reza. I've played with him this year and I can go the distance and say that he would called a fool in his community if he let this opportunity go.

I will keep posting in this thread as soon as I get more news on the matter. For now, drop in your comments.
Old September 14, 2008, 12:28 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Let us know some inside scope...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old September 14, 2008, 12:33 AM
Club Cricketer

Definitely. I have heard of these ICL scouts for a long time but never thought much of it. And look at what Utpal'da did.

He's a very good reporter and credit must go to him for such a superb piece of journalism.

And if these (the ICL deals) don't go through, he must be credited for the job.

I will have a talk with him if possible and let all of you know how it all panned out.
Old September 14, 2008, 12:41 AM
Cricket Legend

can u please tell us for which club u play for? And what is yr name?
Old September 14, 2008, 01:36 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Tigers
can u please tell us for which club u play for? And what is yr name?
I used to write in this forum. But it was my laziness that made me stop.

I played for Old DOHS this season.
Old September 14, 2008, 11:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
I used to write in this forum. But it was my laziness that made me stop.

I played for Old DOHS this season.
wow. I played for them for 4 years when they were in 2nd division. then I left the country.
Old September 14, 2008, 03:11 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Tigers
wow. I played for them for 4 years when they were in 2nd division. then I left the country.
Your name.
Old September 16, 2008, 10:58 AM
Street Cricketer

Default Positive ICL

Hey Dizzy

I think it should work better for bangladesh cricket...in the sense if they can make a reputation in the ICL..if our players can play better in professional sense...in fact without Aftab ,Rafiq there have been similar profiles in domistic cricket. There is good back up...

i think we should take it positive in that sense that our players are showing their performance in a tournament...

Hope they will win and win something good news for bangladesh country,,,

The performance of BD team has made us waited for change..May be this is a form of change,,,,

There is nothing to loose in cricket of Bd ...
Rossi
Old September 14, 2008, 12:42 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafe

well..if they all go..just end bangladesh cricket i guess...
Old September 14, 2008, 01:32 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CholCholBD
well..if they all go..just end bangladesh cricket i guess...
Nah, that's not how it works. But it'll be a huge blow.
Old September 14, 2008, 12:50 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Mashrafe & Shakib!

What concerns me is how BCB cannot see it coming! Or do they already know and are turning a blind eye to a matter that can break out back in the near future?

A player terribly out of form is still a player, an asset. And considering how this is Bangladesh, we do not have that good many players who can play well at the international level at present to fill in this massive void that can be created.
Old September 14, 2008, 01:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Is there anything that can be done to stop the move? what are the choices for BCB???
neone ne idea?
Old September 14, 2008, 02:27 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

this is crazy..
Old September 14, 2008, 02:50 AM
Cricket Guru

NO NO NO NO and NO!!!!!
I don't mind the others...but NAfees!!! why? Aftab? WHY? DHIMAN??? why? why? why? All of them had a bright future ahead of them. Our team is not very good when it comes to batting and with these people leaving......amader ki hobey?
IDIOTS!!! I'm gonna miss Nafees, Aftab and Dhimmy ....I really like them..and now i'll never see them play for BD... I think I'm gonna cry! what idiots....they had such a bright future ahead of them............. I feel like slapping them!

Last edited by Antora; September 14, 2008 at 03:01 AM..
Old September 14, 2008, 02:58 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Frankly, this is quite a tough situation. I really hope that Nafees doesn't take this offer. But I would understand if does take up the offer, since it is indeed huge amount of money. STUPID ICL!!!
Old September 14, 2008, 03:10 AM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Thanks a lot Dizzy, waiting to hear more from you about this issue.
Old September 14, 2008, 03:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

This is an Indian Conspiracy to destroy Bangladesh Cricket

I am sure not only ICL members....people from other areas also in this conspiracy....This is a 1st phase implementation of a long term planning to destroy us....BCB should do anything to stop current players to join ICL...because if they join there...BCB may have no option left but to Ban them

Just think, why ICL is going for Bangladeshi players? They should have gone for Srilankans players first after Lahore Badshah's success....and a Srilankan team would have made ICL much more competitive and attractive than the Bangladeshi players they have selected. I smell something here....
Old September 14, 2008, 04:23 AM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseer
This is an Indian Conspiracy to destroy Bangladesh Cricket

I am sure not only ICL members....people from other areas also in this conspiracy....This is a 1st phase implementation of a long term planning to destroy us....BCB should do anything to stop current players to join ICL...because if they join there...BCB may have no option left but to Ban them

Just think, why ICL is going for Bangladeshi players? They should have gone for Srilankans players first after Lahore Badshah's success....and a Srilankan team would have made ICL much more competitive and attractive than the Bangladeshi players they have selected. I smell something here....
This is a very good point yaseer, I am also smelling something fishy here or else why they would go for our players when there are so many better players in English county, Srilanka, etc. If they would have chosen one or two or at best five players than I would have not think like this. But making a team naming 'Dhaka Warriors' with all BD players really doesn't sound normal to me. These Indians are too clever and our board and players need to be aware of that.
Old September 14, 2008, 04:03 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Welcome back Dizzy.
Old September 14, 2008, 04:19 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

i can't believe that these players are stupid enough to make this consideration. really, a bangladeshi team with half a team of decent players and another half random set of players that have at most been tested at the academy level are going to play against the likes of bond and klusener and give Dhaka Warriors any wins...ya right...the Dhaka Warriors will lose miserably every one of their match or have a lucky fluke but unlike BC (which will continue to exist even it loses 50 matches back to bac) - the ICL is completely financially motivated and as a result the DW will no longer exist in a year or two (or even the ICL will not exist) as a result of its poor performance.
if these youngsters don't have enough sense to realise that all this will do is give them a short money injection and nothing more then, they are plain stupid. 2 crores may be a lot of money but to be honest its not as if aftab, dhiman, farhad, SN are earning **** and are on the streets begging. they all earn reasonable amounts, command a BD following and are able to obtain an international exposure that in the future with a more consistent performance get them into the IPL, county teams or other such financially rewarding positions. For once I beg our bangladeshi brothers to show some common sense and think long term and not short term.
I shall now step of the soap box.
Old September 14, 2008, 04:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Lets not smell rats in everything.. if it is a move to destroy Bangladesh cricket,, then it sure is a good one and an expensive one indeed. What are the chances that ex players like Bashar, Rafique, Manju would be ever picked for national team? Who can gurantee that Dhiman/Reza/Nafis will be guranteed a place in national team? This is not an Indian ploy to destroy our cricket,, its an Indian business ploy to attract more Bangladeshi money via tapping a huge cricket crowd. Indians know how passionate Bangladeshi supporters are,, and given a name like Dhaka Warriors,,, wouldnt a Bangladeshi cricketers want to know whats happening to them? Heck, I will buy the series everytime!!!

Yes, losing players like Aftab/Nafis/Dhiman is a huge loss,, but If I were them, I would take the $200,000 than a possible 6 months contract of 5000; especially, if I am Alok, Bashar, Golam Mabud...

As I said in another post,, I think this is a mixed news and confusing how to react because we want our players to play major leagues but we dont want them not to be seen again in international scene again,,, epecially if they start to make some name/fame.. wouldnt it be sad if Dhiman suddenly becomes a Gilchrist? or Reza becomes a Razzaque?
Old September 14, 2008, 04:49 AM
Cricket Legend

This is all over news channels so I guess it's confirmed.
Old September 14, 2008, 04:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdchamp20
This is all over news channels so I guess it's confirmed.
talking about bangladeshi news channel?
Old September 14, 2008, 05:12 AM
Cricket Legend

disaster for bd cricket
Old September 14, 2008, 09:35 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: KP, Gibbs

Thanks for the memories... Aftab, Nafees, Reza, Dhiman, Alex and Bashar!