facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old October 25, 2012, 07:48 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

^ I agree with your last point in particular. Laws, regulations are not passed and decisions are not taken with the understanding that a party may not be in power after 5 years. Unfortunately, this unilateral attitude is supplemented by our opposition, which usually refuses to sit at the same discussion table.

For example, when I was doing research on, what is now, our latest constitutional amendment, the current Speaker of the Parliament, Abdul Hamid MP, expressed how he had approached the BNP on numerous occasions to discuss the then proposed amendment but they refused to cooperate.

As you say, its not healthy for our democracy if we're not able to break out of this impasse

Old October 25, 2012, 12:08 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
^ I agree with your last point in particular. Laws, regulations are not passed and decisions are not taken with the understanding that a party may not be in power after 5 years. Unfortunately, this unilateral attitude is supplemented by our opposition, which usually refuses to sit at the same discussion table.

For example, when I was doing research on, what is now, our latest constitutional amendment, the current Speaker of the Parliament, Abdul Hamid MP, expressed how he had approached the BNP on numerous occasions to discuss the then proposed amendment but they refused to cooperate.

As you say, its not healthy for our democracy if we're not able to break out of this impasse
Ya this is the story of our politics.. ..
Old November 4, 2012, 02:07 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

I'm surprised that this Economist article hasn't been shared here yet:

Bangladesh and development
The path through the fields
Bangladesh has dysfunctional politics and a stunted private sector. Yet it has been surprisingly good at improving the lives of its poor

ON THE outskirts of the village of Shibaloy, just past the brick factory, the car slows to let a cow lumber out of its way. It is a good sign. Twenty years ago there was no brick factory, or any other industry, in this village 60 kilometres west of Dhaka; there were few cows, and no cars. The road was a raised path too narrow for anything except bicycles.

Now, Shibaloy has just opened its first primary school; it is installing piped water and the young men of the village gather to show off their motorcycles at the tea house. “I have been a microcredit customer for 17 years,” says Romeja, the matriarch of an extended family. “When I started, my house was broken; I slept on the streets. Now I have three cows, an acre of land, solar panels on the roof and 75,000 taka ($920) in fixed-rate deposits.”

Bangladesh was the original development “basket case”, the demeaning term used in Henry Kissinger’s state department for countries that would always depend on aid. Its people are crammed onto a flood plain swept by cyclones and without big mineral and other natural resources. It suffered famines in 1943 and 1974 and military coups in 1975, 1982 and 2007. When it split from Pakistan in 1971 many observers doubted that it could survive as an independent state.

In some ways, those who doubted Bangladesh’s potential were right. Economic growth since the 1970s has been poor; the country’s politics have been unremittingly wretched. Yet over the past 20 years, Bangladesh has made some of the biggest gains in the basic condition of people’s lives ever seen anywhere. Between 1990 and 2010 life expectancy rose by 10 years, from 59 to 69 (see chart 1). Bangladeshis now have a life expectancy four years longer than Indians, despite the Indians being, on average, twice as rich. Even more remarkably, the improvement in life expectancy has been as great among the poor as the rich.

Read More
Old November 4, 2012, 03:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

nice article.. actually read the whole thing.. That lady with 900 dollars savings earning interest is richer than me...

love the birth rate, i always had a fear bd would sink to water with the weight of all the ppl its giving birth to..good it stabilized.
Old November 4, 2012, 03:40 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Pleasing article to read. The contribution of NGOs and social co-operatives in Bangladesh's development is undeniable. The growth rate has been disappointing considering the base we started off from but when such a large portion of the economy is underground - reliable estimates put it at 30-40% of GDP - the GDP growth rate is often not the most accurate indicator of economic progress. I believe we have the highest growth rate in the subcontinent now that the Indian economy has begun cooling. Regardless, we should be aiming higher and I believe a growth rate of 7-8% is easily attainable for the next decade or so if there is a system in place that supplements the intrinsic entrepreneurial spirit of the Bangladeshi people.
Old November 4, 2012, 08:46 PM
Cricket Sage

Nice article... It's all about NGOs and remittance that made it happen. Begums are clearly the road blocks, or else we could have over 10% growth by now.
Old November 5, 2012, 01:11 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Jamaat-BNP terrorists looking to attack Bangladesh...trying to save their Pakistani abbas.

I hope they all get summary executed as with their supporters....or at the very least, shave off their beloved beards

Scum all of them. Anyone defending is scum too. Hope you don't procreate
Old November 5, 2012, 01:29 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6_Turbo
Jamaat-BNP terrorists looking to attack Bangladesh...trying to save their Pakistani abbas.

I hope they all get summary executed as with their supporters....or at the very least, shave off their beloved beards

Scum all of them. Anyone defending is scum too. Hope you don't procreate
I am so surprised to see their 'Pakistani Abba bachao' posters all over Dhaka specially prime areas like Dhanmondi, Banani, Gulshan. Those Jamat-Shibir's ground work is so strong and well planned. If this govt can't do anything to those 'Abbas' then AL people have to run for their money next time.
Old November 5, 2012, 01:52 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Era mukhe bole Islam aar tole tole thik dekhi gari motor cycle e agun disse daat kelay kelay. Abar police marle bole poushachik achoron korse amader shathe..Vondamir jayga pai na
Old November 5, 2012, 03:02 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Shakib , Mushfiqur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
I am so surprised to see their 'Pakistani Abba bachao' posters all over Dhaka specially prime areas like Dhanmondi, Banani, Gulshan. Those Jamat-Shibir's ground work is so strong and well planned. If this govt can't do anything to those 'Abbas' then AL people have to run for their money next time.
Why dont we make these "Pakistani Dalals" lola and send them to their mother land?
Old November 5, 2012, 04:02 PM
ODI Cricketer

I find both AL and BNP supporters equally laughable.. they know damn well that both parties are corrupt to the bone and yet claim that their party is far superior to the other. But I have particular dislike for these Jamat types..
Old November 5, 2012, 04:03 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
BAL is no different than the above ^^^, though a bit better one amongst the three IMHO.
It's like comparing who is a better bowler between Mohammed sami, Shahadat hosain and Vinay kumar. End of the day all of them suck
Old November 6, 2012, 12:23 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

That's the problem of ours'. Whenever we talk about 'Rajakars', we always bring what BAL, BNP has done, who's better, why we support them, why shouldn't we support them....bla blaa.

Why can't we be united against 'Rajakars and those who support them' ? How easily we can forget what they did to us in 71 and afterwards ? Those people did much harm to us than Pakistani soldiers did in 71 and yet we are not united when it comes to punish them for their wrongdoing in 71.

Can't we leave our personal differences, liking aside when it comes to punishing the 'Rajakars and their supporters' ?
Old November 6, 2012, 07:43 AM
Banned

At it again...mathai tupi lagai, rapist and murderer-der mukti chai.

AL/BNP are bad...horrible leaders, but these Jaamati scum are worse, Khoda-r dol kore...yet they've done nothing but rape & pillage.

No more tear gas shells, no more rubber bullets. Live rounds in the head.

Mujib got it wrong with BAKSAL, but he was spot on with secularism - religion in the hands of the uneducated is a dangerous tool, nothing but destruction.

I'm going to be proactive, next time the govt says it will prevent Muslim extremists Jammat from congregating and calls for Partyworkers to resist, I'll be there bashing in someones head.

The hell with flowery words and democracy.

BNP power-e ashuk, again and again, I'll accept it. But, Jaamat - NO.

Desh bhalobashe emon BNP supporters should work to separate from Jaamat, unless they too are actually Pakistan loving, minority hating, freedom hating scum.
Old November 6, 2012, 07:48 AM
Banned

You don't negotiate with a cancer - you deal with it with aggression. Jaamat is a cancer and we need to get rid of it.
Old November 6, 2012, 09:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CricketPagolChele
Turbo Bhai,
BCL (Bangladesh chapati Leage) jokhon campus e bondok/pistol nia joddho kore, hostel-a agun dey, pistol/bondok/logi/boitha/ dia manosh hotta kore, meyeder rape kore, rape-r century kore, tokhon bhai apnar breaking news thake koi? Bangladesh taki BCL ar AL er baper sompotti ? Ora korle jaeej hoia jai? Ora ki terrorirst na? Bhai ek-chokha niti theke ber hoie ashen.. Apnader moto manoshder jonnoy ajke Bangladesher ai obostha, chukh thakite ondho. Keo "RAJAKAR" (pakistani dalal) der support kore, keo abar "RAMAKAR" (indiar dalal) der support kore. Bangladesher dalali korar keo nai.
For every BCL there is a BCD too!! This "hall dokhol" practise goes a long time back... as soon as BNP comes to power, they would do the same and I can bet my life on it... The funny thing is the same AL (BCL) hired goons will work also for BNP(BCD) than.... So when something is this predictable, than it no longer falls in the category of breaking news I guess....

Anyways, I dont think rape is a prominent thing on campus, There was systematic rape by the Pak Army in 1971 and thugs of Jamaatis participated in it... So I hope you wont equate the two... Also if you remember, male police entered the womens hall at night in DU during the BNP regime which created a huge outcry...My point is given our country is dominated by women leaders, I am atleast optimistic that womens equality and rights will be protected by the ladies.
Old November 6, 2012, 11:34 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Shakib , Mushfiqur

Quote:

AL/BNP are bad...horrible leaders, but these Jaamati scum are worse, Khoda-r dol kore...yet they've done nothing but rape & pillage.

Mujib got it wrong with BAKSAL, but he was spot on with secularism - religion in the hands of the uneducated is a dangerous tool, nothing but destruction.

I'm going to be proactive, next time the govt says it will prevent Muslim extremists Jammat from congregating and calls for Partyworkers to resist, I'll be there bashing in someones head.

Desh bhalobashe emon BNP supporters should work to separate from Jaamat, unless they too are actually Pakistan loving, minority hating, freedom hating scum.
Jamat Khodar dol kore, ar apni eta bishash koren? Islam ki Jamater baper shompotti?
Old November 6, 2012, 12:03 PM
Banned

Bhaia leave out the nitty picking...Jaamat is an Islamic party, Islam isn't to blame for that, but that's the fact.

And as with 99% of Islamic parties the world over...they are killers and backward savages.

No point disputing that.

I don't want Islamic parties in Bangladesh. Good to see the general public is fighting back and has burned down Jaamat offices.
Old November 6, 2012, 12:05 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:

Why are Muslims to violent and intolerant ??
Old November 6, 2012, 12:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Why are Muslims to violent and intolerant ??
And your point? I make no apologies about wanting to hunt down mullahs and their lackeys.

Religion of peace - show me a progressive Islamic state.

Enough beating around the bush.
Old November 6, 2012, 12:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
And your point? I make no apologies about wanting to hunt down mullahs and their lackeys.

The blasphemous film was not an individual act but a conspiracy of America to insult Muslims…But all Muslims can’t be declared terrorist because of individual acts of 9/11 plotters - Sabir Nazar (A columnist for Dawn news Pakistan)

http://dawn.com/2012/10/31/principle...l-bakistan-ii/

I found this piece amazing and something I can relate to concerning a lot of BC members...
Old November 6, 2012, 12:41 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:

Simple question.... (You can always do whatever you want...try to find out your situation from your points bellow)
Quote:
-It can't be education.
-It can't be poverty.
-Worst of all, so little tolerance towards each other, let alone those with different ideas (Party).

I don't want to hear about it's a vocal minority (in AL)...or excuses about there are extremists in every religion/society (Party).
I can understand your frustration, just to add to that, there is no chance for 80% population changing from Islam to Hindu in near future, just because you or your party affiliates want ...... Best/easiest would be to settle in India (As desired by you in another thread) and be ruled by Extremely Tolerant BJP leaders...

* Words within () are mine, in the above quoted text..
Old November 6, 2012, 12:51 PM

*** Mod Alert ***

This is a Bangladesh Breaking News thread, thus, please post and comments on related topic/s please.

Thank you.
Old November 8, 2012, 02:01 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Wanton destruction of property, assault and terrorizing people are illegal things punishable under the law, and we have such laws in Bangladesh. No political "rationale" can possibly mitigate that fact and such criminals and their leaders MUST be held accountable as such regardless of political affiliation, period.

Neither reactionary nor responsive vigilantism is a sustainable solution because both break the law in order to influence what it believes to be justice. That only adds to the original problem. You simply cannot restore law and order by breaking the law yourself, not even a little bit "for the common good", and resorting to extrajudicial means in the process no matter how noble the end appears to be.

We need to allow and empower law enforcement agencies, as corrupt as they are, to handle such crimes as per the letter and the spirit of the law without partisan influence. That's the only way to overcome the vicious cycle of so called "political" violence in a society where the rule of law needs to be of paramount importance. That being said, people also have the lawful right to defend their property and themselves.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old November 8, 2012, 06:32 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
The blasphemous film was not an individual act but a conspiracy of America to insult Muslims…But all Muslims can’t be declared terrorist because of individual acts of 9/11 plotters - Sabir Nazar (A columnist for Dawn news Pakistan)

http://dawn.com/2012/10/31/principle...l-bakistan-ii/

I found this piece amazing and something I can relate to concerning a lot of BC members...
Sabir Nazar is a prominent secularist in Pakistan. He is quite famous for his cartoons and political satires.