facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 25, 2009, 08:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Nafis Iqbal

Lately, there are a lot of people saying that Nafis Iqbal should come back to the team. Some even suggested that he should come back as the captain of the team. I remember seeing him play a long time ago for bd and he was ok for that time being. I am not sure how much he has improved over the years so I can't criticise(as in argue) their ideas. If he really has been improving as stated by some BC members on several threads, can we have some proof of it? And also what do you people think about him as a player? Anyways, I'll leave the discussion for the BC members.

Old June 25, 2009, 09:52 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

He is still the same. Gets out just like any other BD players. Outrageous shots after getting settled. What more you need to know?
Old June 25, 2009, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Tiger uncle is probably right. He may or may not deserve a chance in the main squad, but at the end of the day, his roots are the same as the other fools.
Old June 25, 2009, 10:26 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

What we really need is a GOOD Captain, who can play a BIT. He doesn't need to play all that great...he just needs to be a good captain.

And then what we need is a good set of 4/5 batsmen, who are solid. They don't need to think of bowling or captaincy. And then we need 5 good bowlers...who don't need to think of batting or captaincy. If any player can successfully do both batting/bowling, that's a bonus.

If we can get these 3 categories of players, that day we can start playing cricket. Right now, we're playing danguli khela.
Old June 25, 2009, 10:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,Rasel,Rajjak,Rakib

nafis iqbal for what? did he score consecutive 5/6 50's/100's in a row ?
Old June 26, 2009, 12:05 AM
Cricket Sage

let's just think inside the box
Old June 26, 2009, 12:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Without watching him to play in International Level it is not possible to comment on him. He scored well in some of domestic game but I think that is not enough to convince the selectors.

Nafis didn't show any extra ordinary performance that he can be auto choice after coming back from injury. Like some other members of BC, I also want to say his Batting has the same fault that our present national players have. That is Poor Shot Selection.
Old June 26, 2009, 01:03 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Same old story, he is treated similarly as Pilot was in previous season.
Old June 26, 2009, 01:07 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnaved
nafis iqbal for what? did he score consecutive 5/6 50's/100's in a row ?
scored one of the slowest century in the test matches
Old June 26, 2009, 01:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovik
Against Zimbabwe for "Saving the Team to have a Draw and Win the Series".
Old June 26, 2009, 01:11 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

he's probably in better form than both tamim and junaid though they've been playing against international competition and NI hasn't, NI was probably the most inform opener of the recent domestic season though. NI also has a test century to his name which is something both tamim and junaid are yet to accomplish. NI is a much more experienced FC player (similar amount of matches in tests though), whether that makes a difference i don't know but all in all i'd say tamim, NI and junaid all have similar test records (NI has only played one more match) with the main difference between these 3 players being that NI has a test century and the others don't as well as his extra FC experience.
Old June 26, 2009, 03:01 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

I have seen Nafis and Tamim playing long before they came into the national fold as all of us are from Sunshine Grammar Schhol & College, Chittagong.
Nafis Iqbal is by far an accomplished player when compared with mediocres like Zunayed Siddique and Imrul Kayes. His test century was one of the best in Bangladesh cricket in terms of temperament, which is very rare from a Bangladeshi batsman. Last few years he had to fight immensely with his injuries and no assistance was provided from BCB. Now he is back and batting quite sensibly in the last few months as a result he should have been included in to the test side instead of that crappy Imrul kayes, who can't even score substantially against the weak Maharashtra team!!!!
Old June 26, 2009, 03:22 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Quote:
The comment was very much generalized. I suppose that you haven't watched approx. 1900 test matches played till date, if you don't then you should not comment in such a manner.
Don't forget this century eventually gave us the only glory of our test cricket history. C'mon bro, you don't need to have a strike rate of 80 in test cricket, do you?
Old June 26, 2009, 09:32 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd-omi
I have seen Nafis and Tamim playing long before they came into the national fold as all of us are from Sunshine Grammar Schhol & College, Chittagong.
Nafis Iqbal is by far an accomplished player when compared with mediocres like Zunayed Siddique and Imrul Kayes. His test century was one of the best in Bangladesh cricket in terms of temperament, which is very rare from a Bangladeshi batsman. Last few years he had to fight immensely with his injuries and no assistance was provided from BCB. Now he is back and batting quite sensibly in the last few months as a result he should have been included in to the test side instead of that crappy Imrul kayes, who can't even score substantially against the weak Maharashtra team!!!!
Just because you are friends with the Iqbals doesn't mean they have a right to the National side.

Most probably you didn't see/listen/hear/observe kayes lighting up the domestic league before getting a call up. Nafis's recent numbers may be better than his previous numbers. Even if that, it is not even close to Kayes's!! Junaid's well that is the coach's decision. He wasn't ready in my opinion (a year or two too early). Since he is in I pray for his success.

If I may, after the English series, have you forgotton how Nafis Iqbal got out after aftab'isk customary 20+? The outs have a name that all other batsmen can be coined with. SOFT DISMISSAL. No credit to the bowler.

As for Kayes not scoring against Maharastra team attack here is a nice analogy .... Ash can't score against Shakibs. In two practice innings he scored 2 and 9. He should be out from the test team too, right?

As Djnaved asked (by the way, he is not even a teen), did he score 5/6 50's/100's to be called up to the national team?
+++
Yes, I am the first one to credit the entire series winning against Zim to him and JO. Unbelievable innings/partnership that was. But that was 6 years back. Lot of things has changed. In the name of accountibility please NO FREE RIDE in the national team.
+++
Persisting with one vs chopping and changing whimsically. Bopara scored three ducks in his first three innings at SL. He score three consecutive centuries then. I am not comparing Imrul with Bopara. However, his call in the national team is as much as legit as Shamsur's. Bringing in NI out of no where would be bad.
+++
Nafis Iqbal: Last years 4 day matches played 9 games 15 innings for Chittagong. He scored 404 runs with one 100 and one 50. He wasn't even in the top 20 run scorers.

DPL stats: Played for Gazi Tank. 9 innings 168 runs averaging 18.67 with strike rate of 52.34%. He was 70th sorting by average.

His Gazi team mate was Kayes. DPL stats: 11 innings 343 runs averaging 31.18 with strike rate of 71.16%.
+++
I have no problem with Nafis Iqbal, JO, Ehsan, Faisal to be in the team. However, they have to prove that they are better with performance before I support their inclusion.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; June 26, 2009 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: changed the name from Dhruvo to djnaved
Old June 26, 2009, 10:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Well done, Tigers_eye!

Bangalis have a weird habit of making assertions without any factual basis. I hate this anecdotal "he's lighting up the domestic scene and has excellent performances in the A team" crap. I invariably find that when you dig up the numbers, they tell a completely different story. So, thank you, sir, for doing your due diligence.
Old June 26, 2009, 10:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd-omi
i have seen nafis and tamim playing long before they came into the national fold as all of us are from sunshine grammar schhol & college, chittagong.
আমিও একজন এক্স-সানশাইনার
Old June 26, 2009, 10:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

here comes the original tiger "Tigers_eye".
Mijan bhai, I wish you somehow could involve with BCB.
Old June 26, 2009, 10:24 AM
Cricket Legend

নাফিস এর ফর্ম ভালো হলেও তাকে এখনো অনেক পথ পাড়ি দিয়ে জাতীয় দলে ফিরে আসতে হবে।তার ব্যাটিং টেকনিক আরো উন্নত করতে হবে।যতটুক দেখেছি সে পেস বোলিং এর বিপক্ষে কিছুটা দুর্বল।
Old June 26, 2009, 10:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers_eye
just because you are friends with the iqbals doesn't mean they have a right to the national side.

Most probably you didn't see/listen/hear/observe kayes lighting up the domestic league before getting a call up. Nafis's recent numbers may be better than his previous numbers. Even if that, it is not even close to kayes's!! Junaid's well that is the coach's decision. He wasn't ready in my opinion (a year or two too early). Since he is in i pray for his success.

If i may, after the english series, have you forgotton how nafis iqbal got out after aftab'isk customary 20+? The outs have a name that all other batsmen can be coined with. Soft dismissal. No credit to the bowler.

As for kayes not scoring against maharastra team attack here is a nice analogy .... Ash can't score against shakibs. In two practice innings he scored 2 and 9. He should be out from the test team too, right?

As dhrubo asked (by the way, he is not even a teen), did he score 5/6 50's/100's to be called up to the national team?
+++
yes, i am the first one to credit the entire series winning against zim to him and jo. Unbelievable innings/partnership that was. But that was 6 years back. Lot of things has changed. In the name of accountibility please no free ride in the national team.
+++
persisting with one vs chopping and changing whimsically. Bopara scored three ducks in his first three innings at sl. He score three consecutive centuries then. I am not comparing imrul with bopara. However, his call in the national team is as much as legit as shamsur's. Bringing in ni out of no where would be bad.
+++
nafis iqbal: Last years 4 day matches played 9 games 15 innings for chittagong. He scored 404 runs with one 100 and one 50. He wasn't even in the top 20 run scorers.

Dpl stats: Played for gazi tank. 9 innings 168 runs averaging 18.67 with strike rate of 52.34%. He was 70th sorting by average.

His gazi team mate was kayes. Dpl stats: 11 innings 343 runs averaging 31.18 with strike rate of 71.16%.
+++
i have no problem with nafis iqbal, jo, ehsan, faisal to be in the team. However, they have to prove that they are better with performance before i support their inclusion.
কথা গুলোর সাথে একমত না হয়ে পারলাম না।
Old June 26, 2009, 11:07 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubho
Well done, Tigers_eye!

Bangalis have a weird habit of making assertions without any factual basis. I hate this anecdotal "he's lighting up the domestic scene and has excellent performances in the A team" crap. I invariably find that when you dig up the numbers, they tell a completely different story. So, thank you, sir, for doing your due diligence.
I kinda cheated a little to win the argument. Purposely omitted the list A stats 08-09 where Nafis Iqbal did very good. And we are talking about Test here also. However, to be fair, I didn't bring in Kayes's stat of the previous year where he (played for Khulna) really outshined everyone.

At the end of the day, NI needs more time. If he comes back and contributes like a true veteran we all Bangladeshis would be really proud. Also, physically is still not in top form of his career. Till then let the hunger grow.
Old June 26, 2009, 11:10 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

অসুবিধা নাই চাচার চক্ষুলজ্জা কাটাতে যতদিন লাগে
Old June 26, 2009, 12:55 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Don't know if he is still suffering from his injuries. If he is fully fit and wants to come to national team, he needs to be serious with his fitness and performance. having played test cricket, NI needs to do better in domestic.
Old June 27, 2009, 03:58 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Even his chacha selector can't get him in national side and you guys have opened up a thread for him. Am I missing anything here?
Old June 27, 2009, 10:48 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

Quote:

is it complain or compliment?

slowest century in test is not bad, we cant do that more often , thats why we r all out in 3 days.
Old June 28, 2009, 08:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Watching him play against Maharastra, I was personally impressed by Nafees Iqbal. I feel like he has matured a lot since the days we have seen him play in the national team. He was quite patient and was trying his best to make it count. He may not be quite ready yet to play for the national team but we definately need someone in the test team who is a little older and matured. Younger batsmen is not necessarily better and we have already learned it the hard way over and over again. I feel like Nafees is ready to fill that role.